Is it not all Brian's fault?
2018-06-27 15:25:06 UTC
According to Countryfile water companies use rivers as alternative
sewage outlets, and this has been getting worse in recent years. They
had to do some detective work to prove it. Is it possible that the
pollution is not all Brian's fault? It was shown as in the
Oxfordshire/Gloucester area. The pollution was definitely some kind of
dumping, wasn't it?
Btms
2018-06-27 18:23:45 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to Countryfile water companies use rivers as alternative
> sewage outlets, and this has been getting worse in recent years. They
> had to do some detective work to prove it. Is it possible that the
> pollution is not all Brian's fault? It was shown as in the
> Oxfordshire/Gloucester area. The pollution was definitely some kind of
> dumping, wasn't it?

There is that bit in Dickens Hard Times, where he describes the river in
Coketown (aka Stoke on Trent) running purple because if the waste from the
factory (mill). So its an old well established iniquity.

2018-06-28 02:33:38 UTC
In message
<669630341.551816405.035324.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.o
rg>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> According to Countryfile water companies use rivers as alternative
>> sewage outlets, and this has been getting worse in recent years. They
>> had to do some detective work to prove it. Is it possible that the
>> pollution is not all Brian's fault? It was shown as in the
>> Oxfordshire/Gloucester area. The pollution was definitely some kind of
>> dumping, wasn't it?
>>

>There is that bit in Dickens Hard Times, where he describes the river in
>Coketown (aka Stoke on Trent) running purple because if the waste from the
>factory (mill). So its an old well established iniquity.

I think the Countryfile item was specifically about raw sewage. The Home
Farm contamination was some specific chemical, wasn't it?

I reckon in a few years we'll have GoogleBum. You'll type in someone's name
and it will show you what their bum looks like. Even if they've never posted a
nude picture, it will reconstruct their bum from bits of their face and leg
and whatever else they can find. - Charlie Brooker, RT 2014/12/13-19
krw
2018-06-28 11:34:57 UTC
On 27/06/2018 19:23, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
> So its an old well established iniquity.

Wells only come into it when the groundwater is polluted.

2018-06-28 14:38:48 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 27/06/2018 19:23, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> So its an old well established iniquity.
>
> Wells only come into it when the groundwater is polluted.

Let’s not make this anymore complicated than it is already.

2018-06-28 15:07:41 UTC
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>> On 27/06/2018 19:23, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> So its an old well established iniquity.
>>
>> Wells only come into it when the groundwater is polluted.
>>

> Let’s not make this anymore complicated than it is already.

A Yorkshireman might take T’ Unbridge at that remark.

2018-06-28 15:04:07 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 27/06/2018 19:23, Btms wrote; my response is lower down:
>> So its an old well established iniquity.
>
> Wells only come into it when the groundwater is polluted.

I think Brian has been doing a lot of wishing well on his future.

Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-29 13:17:47 UTC
On 27/06/18 19:23, Btms wrote:
> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> According to Countryfile water companies use rivers as alternative
>> sewage outlets, and this has been getting worse in recent years. They
>> had to do some detective work to prove it. Is it possible that the
>> pollution is not all Brian's fault? It was shown as in the
>> Oxfordshire/Gloucester area. The pollution was definitely some kind of
>> dumping, wasn't it?
>>

> There is that bit in Dickens Hard Times, where he describes the river in
> Coketown (aka Stoke on Trent) running purple because if the waste from the
> factory (mill).

Preston, not Stoke. He based Hard Times on his experiences while
reporting on a cotton mill strike in Preston. The description of the
river piles on allusions to references to the Styx in classical mythology.

Hard Times isn't one of his monuments. It starts brilliantly and
descends very rapidly into silliness. It's no Bleak House or Little Dorrit.

So its an old well established iniquity.

Btms
2018-06-30 08:46:23 UTC
Rosalind Mitchell <***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> On 27/06/18 19:23, Btms wrote:
>> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> According to Countryfile water companies use rivers as alternative
>>> sewage outlets, and this has been getting worse in recent years. They
>>> had to do some detective work to prove it. Is it possible that the
>>> pollution is not all Brian's fault? It was shown as in the
>>> Oxfordshire/Gloucester area. The pollution was definitely some kind of
>>> dumping, wasn't it?
>>>

>> There is that bit in Dickens Hard Times, where he describes the river in
>> Coketown (aka Stoke on Trent) running purple because if the waste from the
>> factory (mill).
>
> Preston, not Stoke. He based Hard Times on his experiences while
> reporting on a cotton mill strike in Preston. The description of the
> river piles on allusions to references to the Styx in classical mythology.
>
> Hard Times isn't one of his monuments. It starts brilliantly and
> descends very rapidly into silliness. It's no Bleak House or Little Dorrit.
>

> So its an old well established iniquity.

The context is about water pollution as a long established practice in
industry, not lit crit.

His practical research was a day trip to Stoke.