Seriously unappetising!
Serena Blanchflower
2017-03-01 19:36:21 UTC

What an unappetising, and uninspiring, menu Fallon and Emma have come up
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
desserts which have been designed to look exactly like the canapes.

What's the betting that Miranda insists on following either a gluten
free, or low carb diet?
--
Best wishes, Serena
The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the
rain (Dolly Parton)
Btms
2017-03-01 20:43:02 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What an unappetising, and uninspiring, menu Fallon and Emma have come up
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
desserts which have been designed to look exactly like the canapes.
What's the betting that Miranda insists on following either a gluten
free, or low carb diet?
Oh? How is this connected to land? Itwsbt.

Actually, I think Watership Down as an inspiration for land with rabbit
would have been inspired. Not sure what the other courses would be.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Serena Blanchflower
2017-03-01 20:52:44 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
Cornucopias, overflowing with the bounty of the land. Hence, savoury
cream horns as canapes (along with mini quiches) and sweet ones (along
with apple tarts) for dessert. The main course to be pies - bunny,
cottage or vegetarian.
--
Best wishes, Serena
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory. (Steven Wright)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-01 22:03:55 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What an unappetising, and uninspiring, menu Fallon and Emma have come up
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
desserts which have been designed to look exactly like the canapes.
What's the betting that Miranda insists on following either a gluten
free, or low carb diet?
Oh? How is this connected to land? Itwsbt.
Actually, I think Watership Down as an inspiration for land with rabbit
would have been inspired. Not sure what the other courses would be.
Cornucopias, overflowing with the bounty of the land. Hence, savoury
cream horns as canapes (along with mini quiches) and sweet ones (along
with apple tarts) for dessert. The main course to be pies - bunny,
cottage or vegetarian.
The inspiration coming from Jim, from mythology/history (though I think
he was a bit startled by the enthusiasm with which Nic [?] took to the
suggestion).

The early worm gets the bird.
Sally Thompson
2017-03-02 17:46:56 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[...]
I think that was Emma. We haven't heard from Nic for a long time.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
kosmo
2017-03-03 08:49:41 UTC
On 2 Mar 2017 17:46:56 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
I think that was Emma. We haven't heard from Nic for a long time.
Emma used to complain about being lonely in Will's cottage. Nic must
be worse.
kosmo
Fenny
2017-03-03 17:12:36 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I think that was Emma. We haven't heard from Nic for a long time.
Emma used to complain about being lonely in Will's cottage. Nic must
be worse.
With all them kids to look after? She must spent her entire day doing
laundry and keeping the place tidy for her man. None of this moddun
fangled going to mother & toddler groups for her!
Fenny
John Ashby
2017-03-01 21:19:58 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
Pumpernickel with avocado spread turfs (cut into bite size squares).
White cheese "chalk" boulders.
Chocolate pebbles.
A broccoli forest.
Chocolate sponge under an apple layer to make more turfs.

Sod the cornucopiae.

john
Chris McMillan
2017-03-02 09:09:09 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Btms
[...]
Pumpernickel is hardly a local delicacy so my theory has been destroyed!

Sincerely Chris
Kate B
2017-03-02 11:47:50 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What an unappetising, and uninspiring, menu Fallon and Emma have come up
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
desserts which have been designed to look exactly like the canapes.
What's the betting that Miranda insists on following either a gluten
free, or low carb diet?
Oh? How is this connected to land? Itwsbt.
Actually, I think Watership Down as an inspiration for land with rabbit
would have been inspired. Not sure what the other courses would be.
Pumpernickel with avocado spread turfs (cut into bite size squares).
White cheese "chalk" boulders.
Chocolate pebbles.
A broccoli forest.
Chocolate sponge under an apple layer to make more turfs.
Sod the cornucopiae.
john
Broccoli's no good, Her Worship of Felpersham is allergic. Now, I've
never heard of an allergy to broccoli, have you? (all brassicas,
perhaps, but they didn't elaborate) Is just a diplomatic way of saying
she really, really dislikes it, and will thwceam and thwceam till she's
sick if it's on the table?
--
Kate B
London
Mike McMillan
2017-03-02 11:51:42 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[...]
Brassicas are sometimes blamed for flatulence I believe, maybe Miranda is a
friend of Trump?
Toodle Pip
Serena Blanchflower
2017-03-02 12:10:36 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[...]
Google suggests that, while relatively rare, broccoli allergy is far
from unknown.

I think this is going to be a compare and contrast between the mayor and
Miranda. The mayor, having a genuine allergy, has automatically warn
her hosts about her allergy, giving them the chance to accommodate it.
Miranda will, no doubt, turn her nose up at the proffered pastry-fest,
on the basis that she's either following a strict low-carb diet or that
she's modishly gluten free[1].

[1] I have no doubt that, if she was genuinely gluten intolerant, she
or Justin would have warned Jennifer.
--
Best wishes, Serena
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
than a life spent doing nothing. (George Bernard Shaw)
kosmo
2017-03-03 08:41:02 UTC
On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 12:10:36 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Miranda. The mayor, having a genuine allergy, has automatically warn
If it is a buffet, given the numbers it must be, then the guest
merely chooses wisely.
kosmo
Chris McMillan
2017-03-02 15:32:58 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[...]
Adam's got a great grandad (from Hazel's ex's side) who is on some
medication and which he's told he must not eat broccoli, there may be more
than one brassica he can't eat but its the one we all tuck into - except
that Tel can't *abide* the stuff : he's not the man to come up with the
wheeze to avoid it so it might just be true.

Sincerely Chris
Penny
2017-03-02 15:57:46 UTC
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 15:32:58 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Adam's got a great grandad (from Hazel's ex's side) who is on some
medication and which he's told he must not eat broccoli
It seems eating broccoli can speed up liver function. The liver 'breaks
down' some drugs and if this process is speeded up it can make those drugs
less effective.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Nick Odell
2017-03-02 17:42:37 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Adam's got a great grandad (from Hazel's ex's side) who is on some
medication and which he's told he must not eat broccoli, there may be more
than one brassica he can't eat but its the one we all tuck into - except
that Tel can't *abide* the stuff : he's not the man to come up with the
wheeze to avoid it so it might just be true.
I was really struggling to make sense of this until eventually I
realised that you were not talking about Adam Macy and Hazel Wooley.

Nick
Sally Thompson
Sally in Shropshire, UK
kosmo
2017-03-03 08:48:02 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Adam's got a great grandad (from Hazel's ex's side) who is on some
medication and which he's told he must not eat broccoli, there may be more
than one brassica he can't eat but its the one we all tuck into - except
that Tel can't *abide* the stuff : he's not the man to come up with the
wheeze to avoid it so it might just be true.
I was really struggling to make sense of this until eventually I
realised that you were not talking about Adam Macy and Hazel
Wooley.
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Penny
Nick
Lol. Me too!
--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Why would we discuss the Archers?
kosmo
Btms
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Chris McMillan
2017-03-03 12:34:18 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Adam's got a great grandad (from Hazel's ex's side) who is on some
medication and which he's told he must not eat broccoli, there may be more
than one brassica he can't eat but its the one we all tuck into - except
that Tel can't *abide* the stuff : he's not the man to come up with the
wheeze to avoid it so it might just be true.
I was really struggling to make sense of this until eventually I
realised that you were not talking about Adam Macy and Hazel Wooley.
Nick
Splutter!! Wash your mouth out *now*.

Sincerely Chris
kosmo
2017-03-03 08:39:18 UTC
Post by Kate B
Broccoli's no good, Her Worship of Felpersham is allergic. Now, I've
Hate the bloody stuff yet on virtually every meal. Why?
kosmo
Mike McMillan
2017-03-03 08:49:51 UTC
Post by kosmo
Post by Kate B
Broccoli's no good, Her Worship of Felpersham is allergic. Now, I've
Hate the bloody stuff yet on virtually every meal. Why?
Now come on young Kosmo, you don't want to upset Matron do you? You know
what Matron can be like if she gets cross... and besides green trees are
very good for you, there's only a little bit on your plate so eat it up and
we'll hear no more about it, there's a good boy.😉
Toodle Pip
Fenny
2017-03-03 17:14:48 UTC
Post by kosmo
Post by Kate B
Broccoli's no good, Her Worship of Felpersham is allergic. Now, I've
Hate the bloody stuff yet on virtually every meal. Why?
I don't *hate* it. In fact, I don't dislike it. I just prefer many
other vegetables over it. But it seems to be omnipresent on menus. I
suspect because it's cheap and more widely available than other veg.
Fenny
Btms
2017-03-04 08:17:36 UTC
Post by kosmo
Post by Kate B
Broccoli's no good, Her Worship of Felpersham is allergic. Now, I've
Hate the bloody stuff yet on virtually every meal. Why?
Quick prep time; so cost effective on labour. Cooks quickly.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Penny
2017-03-01 23:25:06 UTC
On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 20:43:02 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Btms
[...]
When Jennifer kept mentioning the shepherd's pie I felt sure she had meant
lamb not land.
DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Mike McMillan
2017-03-02 08:37:02 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Btms
[...]
Pork 'n' beans?
Toodle Pip
Serena Blanchflower
2017-03-02 09:00:59 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
What an unappetising, and uninspiring, menu Fallon and Emma have come up
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
desserts which have been designed to look exactly like the canapes.
What's the betting that Miranda insists on following either a gluten
free, or low carb diet?
Oh? How is this connected to land? Itwsbt.
Actually, I think Watership Down as an inspiration for land with rabbit
would have been inspired. Not sure what the other courses would be.
When Jennifer kept mentioning the shepherd's pie I felt sure she had meant
lamb not land.
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Weevil, late of this parish, referred to that as Swineherd's Pie. In my
family, if it had a mashed parsnip top, it was a Parsonage Pie (which
could have either beef or lamb in it)
--
Best wishes, Serena
This is life, this is my life, and no matter what I do I can't go back
to the challenges.' (Doreen Lawrence)
kosmo
2017-03-02 09:03:47 UTC
On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 09:00:59 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Pork pie.
kosmo
BrritSki
2017-03-02 09:37:33 UTC
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Weevil, late of this parish, referred to that as Swineherd's Pie. In my
family, if it had a mashed parsnip top, it was a Parsonage Pie (which
could have either beef or lamb in it)
I have just put a moussaka in the oven
<https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/patrick-leigh-fermors-moussaka>

which is smelling rather delicious. Potatoes on the bottom add that
little bit extra, as does frying everything in own (kf) olive oil.

I first made this dish 40 years ago when we were in Texas and it took me
all morning. Now I use a carton of bechamel with added gruyere and it's
much easier and less washing up.

Trouble is I overdid the quantities a bit this morning and it's
overflowing the dish a bit...
Btms
2017-03-02 19:12:00 UTC
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Weevil, late of this parish, referred to that as Swineherd's Pie. In my
family, if it had a mashed parsnip top, it was a Parsonage Pie (which
could have either beef or lamb in it)
I have just put a moussaka in the oven
<https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/patrick-leigh-fermors-moussaka>
which is smelling rather delicious. Potatoes on the bottom add that
little bit extra, as does frying everything in own (kf) olive oil.
I first made this dish 40 years ago when we were in Texas and it took me
all morning. Now I use a carton of bechamel with added gruyere and it's
much easier and less washing up.
Trouble is I overdid the quantities a bit this morning and it's
overflowing the dish a bit...
Probly too late but bung a bigger dish underneath; in due course scrape off
the droplets & add to your next sauce d'Maison. 🤓
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
BrritSki
Yes, exactly what I did, since oven-cleaning is one of my jobs ;)
Btms
2017-03-02 20:49:28 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by DavidK
[...]
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by bleach
and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for metal
cooking pans. Don't suppose it would work on an oven though.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Sam Plusnet
2017-03-02 22:41:11 UTC
Post by Btms
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by bleach
and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for metal
cooking pans.
This sounds like it might be useful, but I'm not sure I've parsed this
correctly.

!. Coat pan with a layer of bi carb.
2. Pour in bleach.
3. Add even more bi carb.
4. Wait two hours.

Is that right?
Sam Plusnet
steveski
2017-03-03 01:50:51 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Btms
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by
bleach and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for
metal cooking pans.
This sounds like it might be useful, but I'm not sure I've parsed this
correctly.
!. Coat pan with a layer of bi carb.
2. Pour in bleach.
3. Add even more bi carb.
4. Wait two hours.
Is that right?
Stainless steel scourers (even with my arthritis) - they don't rust like
Brillo [1] pads and are easy for things like scrambled egg or soaked
burned on stuff.
--
Steveski

[1] Other brands of scouring pads are available.
Chris J Dixon
2017-03-03 08:11:27 UTC
Post by steveski
Stainless steel scourers (even with my arthritis) - they don't rust like
Brillo [1] pads and are easy for things like scrambled egg or soaked
burned on stuff.
Indeed! :-)

Am I alone in wondering why TV cooks (catching up with Hairy
Bikers at the moment) seem to use metal tools in what appear to
be non-stick pans?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
Mike McMillan
2017-03-03 08:20:40 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by steveski
Stainless steel scourers (even with my arthritis) - they don't rust like
Brillo [1] pads and are easy for things like scrambled egg or soaked
burned on stuff.
Indeed! :-)
Am I alone in wondering why TV cooks (catching up with Hairy
Bikers at the moment) seem to use metal tools in what appear to
be non-stick pans?
Chris
Because they aren't paying for them?
Toodle Pip
Mike McMillan
2017-03-03 08:23:39 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by steveski
Stainless steel scourers (even with my arthritis) - they don't rust like
Brillo [1] pads and are easy for things like scrambled egg or soaked
burned on stuff.
Indeed! :-)
Am I alone in wondering why TV cooks (catching up with Hairy
Bikers at the moment) seem to use metal tools in what appear to
be non-stick pans?
Chris
Because they aren't paying for them?
I recently bought myself a 4.1 L. cast iron, enameled catserole; even this
came with instructions not to use metal utensils with it.
Toodle Pip
kosmo
2017-03-03 08:51:13 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by steveski
burned on stuff.
Indeed! :-)
Am I alone in wondering why TV cooks (catching up with Hairy
Bikers at the moment) seem to use metal tools in what appear to
be non-stick pans?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
Plant amazing Acers.
Because the runner bought them and does not know better?
kosmo
Chris McMillan
2017-03-03 12:34:20 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by steveski
Stainless steel scourers (even with my arthritis) - they don't rust like
Brillo [1] pads and are easy for things like scrambled egg or soaked
burned on stuff.
Indeed! :-)
Am I alone in wondering why TV cooks (catching up with Hairy
Bikers at the moment) seem to use metal tools in what appear to
be non-stick pans?
Chris
You're not, Himself spots things I can't see.

Sincerely Chris
Penny
2017-03-03 19:47:57 UTC
On 3 Mar 2017 01:50:51 GMT, steveski <***@invalid.com> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by steveski
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Btms
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by
bleach and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for
metal cooking pans.
This sounds like it might be useful, but I'm not sure I've parsed this
correctly.
!. Coat pan with a layer of bi carb.
2. Pour in bleach.
3. Add even more bi carb.
4. Wait two hours.
Is that right?
Stainless steel scourers (even with my arthritis) - they don't rust like
Brillo [1] pads and are easy for things like scrambled egg or soaked
burned on stuff.
I use soda crystals (better than powder but I can't remember what the
chemical difference is) and boiling water on burnt pans. Just sprinkle in
crystals and pour on the water - leave to soak then give it a brush before
rinsing. I always put the plug in the sink before emptying the pan after
this treatment as it brings the stainless steel sink up beautifully too.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-03 23:06:44 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
[]
Post by Penny
I use soda crystals (better than powder but I can't remember what the
chemical difference is) and boiling water on burnt pans. Just sprinkle in
crystals and pour on the water - leave to soak then give it a brush before
rinsing. I always put the plug in the sink before emptying the pan after
this treatment as it brings the stainless steel sink up beautifully too.
Presumably (like using vinegar [or any other acid] to clean coins), it
works by removing some of the metal from the sink (or coins). OK,
probably a minuscule amount.

"Farc gorillas who live in the plains of the undies ..." - automatic
subtitling seen on BBC one o'clock news, 2016-8-25, by Cynthia Hollingworth.
Penny
2017-03-04 00:03:57 UTC
On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 23:06:44 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[]
Post by Penny
I use soda crystals (better than powder but I can't remember what the
chemical difference is) and boiling water on burnt pans. Just sprinkle in
crystals and pour on the water - leave to soak then give it a brush before
rinsing. I always put the plug in the sink before emptying the pan after
this treatment as it brings the stainless steel sink up beautifully too.
Presumably (like using vinegar [or any other acid] to clean coins), it
works by removing some of the metal from the sink (or coins). OK,
probably a minuscule amount.
Would Sodium Carbonate really do that? It's pretty good for cleaning a
gunky drain too.
Btms
2017-03-03 08:32:27 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Btms
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by bleach
and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for metal
cooking pans.
This sounds like it might be useful, but I'm not sure I've parsed this
correctly.
!. Coat pan with a layer of bi carb.
2. Pour in bleach.
3. Add even more bi carb.
4. Wait two hours.
Is that right?
Yes. I don't think the bi carb has to be overly deep as a layer. I did it
on the metal lining of a slow cooker. It created a creamy foam and came up
very shiny after a soak. However, it wasn't that dirty so not proof of
concept.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Fenny
2017-03-03 21:02:55 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Btms
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by bleach
and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for metal
cooking pans.
This sounds like it might be useful, but I'm not sure I've parsed this
correctly.
!. Coat pan with a layer of bi carb.
2. Pour in bleach.
3. Add even more bi carb.
4. Wait two hours.
Is that right?
Would this not also work with vinegar and bicarb, in the way that
USian grade school science project volcanos work? I use this method
for unblocking plugholes. I'd rather pour vinegar into my pans than
bleach!
Fenny
Btms
2017-03-05 07:16:09 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Btms
Slight swerve, I read 't'other day that layer of bi-carb followed by bleach
and more bi carb with a two hour soak, is excellent cleaner for metal
cooking pans.
This sounds like it might be useful, but I'm not sure I've parsed this
correctly.
!. Coat pan with a layer of bi carb.
2. Pour in bleach.
3. Add even more bi carb.
4. Wait two hours.
Is that right?
Would this not also work with vinegar and bicarb, in the way that
USian grade school science project volcanos work? I use this method
for unblocking plugholes. I'd rather pour vinegar into my pans than
bleach!
Dunno. Formula states hydro-something peroxide and added "found in most
bleaching agents". Initially I bought a bottle of the exact chemical but
found it ineffective. Household bleach worked better.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
John Ashby
2017-03-02 09:07:03 UTC
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Kirsty.

john
Mike McMillan
2017-03-02 09:13:57 UTC
Post by John Ashby
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Kirsty.
john
I think that particular pork was filleted...
Toodle Pip
BrritSki
2017-03-02 09:30:30 UTC
BTN ! :)
Rosemary Miskin
2017-03-02 11:05:17 UTC
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Pork pie!

Rosemary
Penny
2017-03-02 12:11:23 UTC
On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 08:09:38 +0000, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Beef in cottage pie, lamb in shepherds' pie, pork in ???
Pork pie of course!
Btms
2017-03-02 19:11:59 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Btms
[...]
Lasagne?
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Chris McMillan
2017-03-02 09:14:44 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Btms
[...]
I had indeed thought the original word was 'lamb' - we could have had the
unintended consequences menu

Sincerely Chris
Chris McMillan
2017-03-02 09:09:08 UTC
Post by Btms
[...]
Inspired line that was. Guess who was working out how many rabbits were
harmed in the making of this plot line?

Fallon and Emma have got it right, local produce as in wild rabbit (if
there were game about it would have been better, root crops from Bridge
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had something now
that free range is no longer free range), apples - no idea where cooking
apples gather in Ambridge. Goats cheese?? Where did that come from I
wonder? They're all products from the land - but would have been a better
menu later in the year.

Sincerely Chris
Btms
2017-03-02 19:12:00 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
[...]
Lynda once had Nubian goats. They may have decendendents.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
steveski
2017-03-03 01:53:25 UTC
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
[]
Post by Btms
Lynda once had Nubian goats.
Fried or boiled?
Steveski
Chris McMillan
2017-03-03 12:34:19 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
[...]
Ah, but that was a very long time ago (I might not have bern listening when
they arrived). Did she not replace them? Or were they sold in time of
need?

Sincerely Chris
Btms
2017-03-04 08:17:36 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
[...]
They just seemed to fade from any mention.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
kosmo
2017-03-04 09:14:05 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
they arrived). Did she not replace them? Or were they sold in time of
need?
Sincerely Chris
They just seemed to fade from any mention.
--
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Died of old age. Replaced by llamas.
kosmo
Fenny
2017-03-05 11:13:35 UTC
On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 09:14:05 +0000, kosmo <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

Quoted 100+ lines to add -
Post by kosmo
Died of old age. Replaced by llamas.
*Please* guys, snip!!! I'm starting to mark more read than actually
reading them.
Fenny
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-03-05 12:34:47 UTC
Post by Fenny
Quoted 100+ lines to add -
Post by kosmo
Died of old age. Replaced by llamas.
*Please* guys, snip!!! I'm starting to mark more read than actually
reading them.
+100! But you'll not succeed ... )-:

As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep
an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness. It preserves the
soul from desiccation. - Humphrey Lyttelton quoted by Barry Cryer in Radio
Times 10-16 November 2012
Fenny
2017-03-05 21:11:55 UTC
On Sun, 5 Mar 2017 12:34:47 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Fenny
Quoted 100+ lines to add -
Post by kosmo
Died of old age. Replaced by llamas.
*Please* guys, snip!!! I'm starting to mark more read than actually
reading them.
Life is too short to page through all the quotes. Filters are my
friend.
Fenny
kosmo
2017-03-05 22:12:22 UTC
On Sun, 05 Mar 2017 21:11:55 +0000, Fenny
Post by Fenny
Life is too short to page through all the quotes. Filters are my
On Groundhog the buttons are all, none and done to select lines.

I think I must have wrongly hit all before done and apologise. I am
on holiday you know.
kosmo
Btms
2017-03-06 08:45:26 UTC
Post by Fenny
Life is too short to page through all the quotes. Filters are my
On Groundhog the buttons are all, none and done to select lines.
I think I must have wrongly hit all before done and apologise. I am
on holiday you know.
And Newstap automatically contracts posts over a certain length.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Mike McMillan
2017-03-06 09:02:58 UTC
Post by Fenny
Life is too short to page through all the quotes. Filters are my
On Groundhog the buttons are all, none and done to select lines.
I think I must have wrongly hit all before done and apologise. I am
on holiday you know.
And Newstap automatically contracts posts over a certain length.
Though there is an option on my version of Newstap (paid for version) to
display just the last line or so of the previous posting, the other setting
shows the whole lot!
Toodle Pip
Btms
2017-03-06 20:10:04 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Fenny
Life is too short to page through all the quotes. Filters are my
On Groundhog the buttons are all, none and done to select lines.
I think I must have wrongly hit all before done and apologise. I am
on holiday you know.
And Newstap automatically contracts posts over a certain length.
Though there is an option on my version of Newstap (paid for version) to
display just the last line or so of the previous posting, the other setting
shows the whole lot!
I have the free version and that contracts as yours does.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
kosmo
2017-03-06 09:38:02 UTC
Post by Btms
And Newstap automatically contracts posts over a certain length.
And Thunderbird refused to send posts with too many quoted lines.
kosmo
Fenny
2017-03-07 19:21:52 UTC
Post by kosmo
Post by Btms
And Newstap automatically contracts posts over a certain length.
And Thunderbird refused to send posts with too many quoted lines.
Huzzah!
Fenny
Chris McMillan
2017-03-05 13:04:56 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
need?
Sincerely Chris
They just seemed to fade from any mention.
--
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Died of old age. Replaced by llamas.
I remember llama arrival, goats must've been in umra's life time too. (And
that's 20 years!)

Sincerely Chris
kosmo
2017-03-03 08:38:07 UTC
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 09:09:08 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now

Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
kosmo
Mike McMillan
2017-03-03 08:45:45 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now
Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
Free range in barns?
Toodle Pip
Chris McMillan
2017-03-03 12:34:21 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now
Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
Hence my use of the word 'not'.

Was told last night by someone that there's a partial relaxation on hens
being allowed out now - as long as they're a couple of miles from water.

Sincerely Chris
Sally Thompson
2017-03-03 21:41:59 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now
Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
Hence my use of the word 'not'.
Was told last night by someone that there's a partial relaxation on hens
being allowed out now - as long as they're a couple of miles from water.
Sort of. If you're in a high risk area according to the Defra map, your
hens are still restricted and can no longer be marketed as free range. If
you are outside those areas then you can let them range provided you take
special biosecurity measures.

Close to large areas of water will probably mean you're in a high risk
area.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Nick Odell
2017-03-03 21:55:33 UTC
On 3 Mar 2017 21:41:59 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now
Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
Hence my use of the word 'not'.
Was told last night by someone that there's a partial relaxation on hens
being allowed out now - as long as they're a couple of miles from water.
Sort of. If you're in a high risk area according to the Defra map, your
hens are still restricted and can no longer be marketed as free range. If
you are outside those areas then you can let them range provided you take
special biosecurity measures.
Close to large areas of water will probably mean you're in a high risk
area.
Tesco Huddersfield, anti-clockwise, hasn't changed the labeling or the
price of its own brand free range eggs but has pasted a label on the
shelf advising of the present situation.

Nick
Sally Thompson
2017-03-03 22:35:49 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now
Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
Hence my use of the word 'not'.
Was told last night by someone that there's a partial relaxation on hens
being allowed out now - as long as they're a couple of miles from water.
Sort of. If you're in a high risk area according to the Defra map, your
hens are still restricted and can no longer be marketed as free range. If
you are outside those areas then you can let them range provided you take
special biosecurity measures.
Close to large areas of water will probably mean you're in a high risk
area.
Tesco Huddersfield, anti-clockwise, hasn't changed the labeling or the
price of its own brand free range eggs but has pasted a label on the
shelf advising of the present situation.
I would have thought they should put one on each box.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Nick Odell
2017-03-04 19:30:33 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
In Sainsbury's today (Market St, clockwise, not Aspley, clockwise, in
case you are wondering) they had a label on the shelf and a sticker on
each carton.

Nick
Btms
2017-03-04 08:17:36 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Farm), eggs presumably from Josh not Posh Hens (time we had
something now
Posh eggs no longer. All Josh free range now.
Hence my use of the word 'not'.
Was told last night by someone that there's a partial relaxation on hens
being allowed out now - as long as they're a couple of miles from water.
Sincerely Chris
Tse it is irrelevant. My eggs come direct from free range farm. But they
tell me the hens rarely wander outside.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Marjorie
2017-03-03 10:43:22 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
[...]
I don't know why it seems such a clever idea - almost all food is from
the land. All they have to do is exclude fish and seafood; everything
else (meat, game, vegetables, fruit) comes from the land. That's how
agriculture works, although it took Emma a long time to work this out.

The whole event is a bit of a mystery. They are now having pastry,
followed by pies (with root veg) followed by more pastry. Quite apart
from the stodginess of the whole thing, this can't possibly be served as
a buffet you eat with your spare hand while you hold on to your drink
with the other - how could you eat stuff out of ramekins, and root veg?
It's to be served as three courses, so it must be a sit-down meal, but
there seem to be dozens of people invited, so where and how are they all
going to be seated?
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
BrritSki
2017-03-03 11:33:21 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
. Spoiler Space
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
They're all going up Adam's polytunnel...
Mike McMillan
2017-03-03 11:51:11 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Btms
[...]
It is a well known fact that Ambridge residences have the peculiarly
dynamic property of expanding in size and number of rooms to fit the week's
script.
Toodle Pip
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Fenny
2017-03-03 17:19:33 UTC
On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 17:02:17 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
In a posh barn?
My Gorgeous Goddaughter [1] had her wedding reception in a cow barn
last year. The farmer agreed they could use it as long as they
cleaned it out and made it suitable. So they spent 3 days scrubbing
it and building a bar area out of timbers and used bales of hay for
sofas. Weatherproofing (much needed on the day) was heavy duty
plastic sheeting.

[1] who will be 29 next week. I demand a recount!
Fenny
Mike McMillan
2017-03-03 17:23:12 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
In a posh barn?
My Gorgeous Goddaughter [1] had her wedding reception in a cow barn
last year. The farmer agreed they could use it as long as they
cleaned it out and made it suitable. So they spent 3 days scrubbing
it and building a bar area out of timbers and used bales of hay for
sofas. Weatherproofing (much needed on the day) was heavy duty
plastic sheeting.
[1] who will be 29 next week. I demand a recount!
Did she get a pat on the back for all her hard work? Ho-Ho😳😉
Toodle Pip
Chris McMillan
2017-03-03 19:15:46 UTC
Post by Fenny
On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 17:02:17 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
In a posh barn?
If a barn is good enough for Brookfield knees ups, it should be good enough
for Home Farm!

Sincerely Chris
Penny
2017-03-03 20:15:03 UTC
On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 17:19:33 +0000, Fenny <***@onetel.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris McMillan
In a posh barn?
My Gorgeous Goddaughter [1] had her wedding reception in a cow barn
last year. The farmer agreed they could use it as long as they
cleaned it out and made it suitable. So they spent 3 days scrubbing
it and building a bar area out of timbers and used bales of hay for
sofas. Weatherproofing (much needed on the day) was heavy duty
plastic sheeting.
[1] who will be 29 next week. I demand a recount!
One of my beautiful Australian nieces got married in a barn. The family
decorated it most imaginatively.
Peter Percival
2017-03-01 22:26:01 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
Are canapes related to barbaryapes?
to me what you really mean.
Mike McMillan
2017-03-01 23:07:36 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Serena Blanchflower
with! Canapes, all wrapped in pastry, followed by pies, followed by
Are canapes related to barbaryapes?
Dunno but handy things in heavy rain.
--
Toodle Pip