Harrison's finances
2017-07-16 10:03:51 UTC
I thought police had housing allowances - perhaps they never did or perhaps
it has stopped?
Vicky
2017-07-16 10:33:12 UTC
I thought police had housing allowances - perhaps they never did or perhaps
it has stopped?
There used to be police houses. I don't know how it worked, but there
was one next door in East Barnet and they were nice, and ewnt to next
door's on the other side when the wife was heard screaming... And at
the end of the terrace lived a nurse so we were covered by the
emergency services.
2017-07-16 10:44:47 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
I thought police had housing allowances - perhaps they never did or perhaps
it has stopped?
Good question.
Post by Vicky
There used to be police houses. I don't know how it worked, but there
I _think_ those as such don't exist any more - I think I've heard "used
to be a police house".
Post by Vicky
was one next door in East Barnet and they were nice, and ewnt to next
door's on the other side when the wife was heard screaming... And at
the end of the terrace lived a nurse so we were covered by the
emergency services.
Fireman in the middle? (Coastguard?)

I hope you dream a pig.
carolet
2017-07-16 11:13:19 UTC
Post by Vicky
There used to be police houses. I don't know how it worked, but there
I _think_ those as such don't exist any more - I think I've heard "used
to be a police house".
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
2017-07-16 11:45:22 UTC
In message <okfhh3$3ba$***@dont-email.me>, carolet
<***@btinternet.com> writes:
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
Yes.
[]
(Though sadly I suspect they couldn't afford somewhere so convenient [I
assume it's convenient], even with his savings.)

Illinc fui et illud feci, habe tunicam?
Btms
2017-07-16 12:44:23 UTC
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
Yes.
[]
(Though sadly I suspect they couldn't afford somewhere so convenient [I
assume it's convenient], even with his savings.)
I am still wondering of police get a housing allowance?
2017-07-16 12:05:05 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
was one next door in East Barnet and they were nice, and ewnt to next
door's on the other side when the wife was heard screaming... And at
the end of the terrace lived a nurse so we were covered by the
emergency services.
Fireman in the middle? (Coastguard?)
Cost them more than a few coppers I think, ho-ho.
2017-07-16 12:09:32 UTC
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
But Harrison is not an old policeman?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Vicky
2017-07-16 16:48:00 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 12:13:19 +0100, carolet
Post by Vicky
There used to be police houses. I don't know how it worked, but there
I _think_ those as such don't exist any more - I think I've heard "used
to be a police house".
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
As Fallon and Harrison rent their house from Christine, is that then
the Old Police House?
2017-07-16 17:06:14 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:48:00 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by carolet
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
As Fallon and Harrison rent their house from Christine, is that then
the Old Police House?
It was next to the shop (according to TAE) and was burnt down (according to
Carolet) . Bert and Freda Fry used to live in Woodbine Cottage (tied to
Brookfield), next to The Bull but when it was damaged by a lorry they moved
to the bungalow at the farm. The BBC website says George and Christine
lived there - how did they get around the agricultural tie?
Did it still belong to Brookfield and come to Christine when Phil died?
2017-07-16 17:17:02 UTC
in the dust...
Post by carolet
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
As Fallon and Harrison rent their house from Christine, is that then
the Old Police House?
It was next to the shop (according to TAE) and was burnt down (according to
Carolet) . Bert and Freda Fry used to live in Woodbine Cottage (tied to
Brookfield), next to The Bull but when it was damaged by a lorry they moved
to the bungalow at the farm. The BBC website says George and Christine
lived there - how did they get around the agricultural tie?
Did it still belong to Brookfield and come to Christine when Phil died?
As a gamekeeper George might qualify.
2017-07-16 18:23:35 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:17:02 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
in the dust...
Post by carolet
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
As Fallon and Harrison rent their house from Christine, is that then
the Old Police House?
It was next to the shop (according to TAE) and was burnt down (according to
Carolet) . Bert and Freda Fry used to live in Woodbine Cottage (tied to
Brookfield), next to The Bull but when it was damaged by a lorry they moved
to the bungalow at the farm. The BBC website says George and Christine
lived there - how did they get around the agricultural tie?
Did it still belong to Brookfield and come to Christine when Phil died?
As a gamekeeper George might qualify.
I considered that but he didn't work for Brookfield.
2017-07-16 23:08:50 UTC
in the dust...
Post by carolet
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
As Fallon and Harrison rent their house from Christine, is that then
the Old Police House?
It was next to the shop (according to TAE) and was burnt down (according to
Carolet) .
I said that it was fire bombed. It was certainly substantially damaged,
but I'm not sure that "burnt down" is the correct description
Post by Penny
Bert and Freda Fry used to live in Woodbine Cottage (tied to
Brookfield), next to The Bull but when it was damaged by a lorry they moved
to the bungalow at the farm. The BBC website says George and Christine
lived there - how did they get around the agricultural tie?
Did it still belong to Brookfield and come to Christine when Phil died?
Christine and George were clearly unable to live in a fire damaged
buiding, but the Brookfield Archers weren't going to let Aunty Chris be
homeless, when they had a cottage that was, or could be made, available.

I seem to recall that Bert and Freda had previously moved into The
Bungalow temporarily while Woodbine Cottage was refurbished. (I don't
remember why this was necessary.) The Frys rather liked it in The
Bungalow and were sorry to leave. Some time later a reason was found to
move them back in, I suspect that this was so that Chris and George
could move in, but maybe that was earlier and Woodbine was already
conveniently empty.

Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
2017-07-17 07:03:51 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 00:08:50 +0100, carolet <***@btinternet.com>
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
2017-07-17 07:32:29 UTC
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
2017-07-17 09:02:47 UTC
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
Surely everyone (that we hear of) in the village has an agricultural
tie - they work on, near or know of a farm.
2017-07-17 09:07:50 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
Surely everyone (that we hear of) in the village has an agricultural
tie - they work on, near or know of a farm.
Or listen to one on the radio.
2017-07-17 09:24:04 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
Surely everyone (that we hear of) in the village has an agricultural
tie - they work on, near or know of a farm.
Or listen to one on the radio.
Is there something on Radio???!!!
2017-07-17 14:27:00 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
Surely everyone (that we hear of) in the village has an agricultural
tie - they work on, near or know of a farm.
Or listen to one on the radio.
Is there something on Radio???!!!
So I've been told:-)
2017-07-17 15:15:44 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
Surely everyone (that we hear of) in the village has an agricultural
tie - they work on, near or know of a farm.
Or listen to one on the radio.
Is there something on Radio???!!!
So I've been told:-)
There's an idea! We could sell this one to Auntie; all about a farming
community south of Birmingham perhaps, can't think of a title just now but
... could be an everyday story of country folk. Based on accurate facts, it
could enlighten us all on farming methods and life in a village; you know,
pub life and little businesses running on the side but, of course it would
need to be accurate which might entail research and use of experts in their
fields and scrupulous record keeping.... oh, but err... perhaps not.
2017-07-17 09:08:02 UTC
Post by Fenny
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
Surely everyone (that we hear of) in the village has an agricultural
tie - they work on, near or know of a farm.
Back in the day, my understanding was that Planning permission needed to
establish the proposed building would be for an agricultural worker. Not
sure if this is much monitored after a period of time.
2017-07-17 10:02:43 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 09:08:02 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
Back in the day, my understanding was that Planning permission needed to
establish the proposed building would be for an agricultural worker. Not
sure if this is much monitored after a period of time.
When our village school headteacher retired hurt and the vicar evicted him
from the school house he managed to rent a cottage down the road belonging
to one of the local farms. The permission for this non-agricultural use was
reviewed annually.

Bro#1 bought a property in Cornwall with an agricultural lien on it. It had
somehow managed to be registered as a smallholding although most of the
site is very steep oak woodland and no one locally could remember it ever
producing much. It was a lengthy fight to get the lien removed.
2017-07-17 10:03:47 UTC
Back in the day, my understanding was that Planning permission needed to
establish the proposed building would be for an agricultural worker. Not
sure if this is much monitored after a period of time.
When our village school headteacher retired hurt and the vicar evicted him
from the school house he managed to rent a cottage down the road belonging
to one of the local farms. The permission for this non-agricultural use was
reviewed annually.
Bro#1 bought a property in Cornwall with an agricultural lien on it. It had
somehow managed to be registered as a smallholding although most of the
site is very steep oak woodland and no one locally could remember it ever
producing much. It was a lengthy fight to get the lien removed.
Planning permissions in Cornwall are commonly regarded as a dark art. As
for describing the vicar as evicting someone from a tied house seems a bit
strong to me. Where was the new Head supposed to live?
2017-07-17 10:22:44 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:03:47 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
[...]
When that particular head was first appointed he worked in the job for two
or three years before the widow of the previous head finally moved out of
the school house. I think he (or his wife at least) had expected similar
treatment.

The house was not needed for the new head who had her own house elsewhere
and had no intention or desire to take up the school house.

Following the eviction (just before Christmas, as mentioned previously) the
school house remained empty for some months before being let to a teacher
from the Medway Towns. I think he continued to live there after he quit
teaching.
2017-07-17 11:17:25 UTC
Anyway, the Barfords rented/borrowed Woodbine until the Police house was
refurbished. I think George died before it was finished, but Chris was
not happy to move back into the repaired house, I'm not sure whether she
actually did go back for a while, but before long she sold The Old
Police House and bought Woodbine Cottage from Brookfield.
That's the part I was querying really. It can be very difficult to remove
an agricultural worker tie from a property.
Not really. Ambridge works on a different basis from the rest of the UK.
One simply needs to misremember and ignore reality.
It is probably in the same universe as Dr Who.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-07-17 11:16:24 UTC
in the dust...
Post by carolet
Christine and George lived in 'The Old Police House' until it was
firebombed. I think it was repaired, but Christine didn't want to go
back. Wouldn't it be great if whoever lives there now decided to move
out, and Harrison and Fallon bought it?
As Fallon and Harrison rent their house from Christine, is that then
the Old Police House?
It was next to the shop (according to TAE) and was burnt down (according to
Carolet) . Bert and Freda Fry used to live in Woodbine Cottage (tied to
Brookfield), next to The Bull but when it was damaged by a lorry they moved
to the bungalow at the farm. The BBC website says George and Christine
lived there - how did they get around the agricultural tie?
Did it still belong to Brookfield and come to Christine when Phil died?
George and Christine bought Woodbine as they could not face returning to
the Police House.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-07-17 14:02:21 UTC
in the dust...
Post by carolet
[...]
We can imagine the restriction was lifted but not deemed worthy of a
mention/story.
2017-07-16 17:17:47 UTC
Map <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/wallpaper/ambridge_640.shtml>
2017-07-16 16:48:33 UTC
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 11:44:47 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Vicky
was one next door in East Barnet and they were nice, and ewnt to next
door's on the other side when the wife was heard screaming... And at
the end of the terrace lived a nurse so we were covered by the
emergency services.
Fireman in the middle? (Coastguard?)
Well, Capt Ex had done firefighting courses as he worked on tankers.
2017-07-16 10:37:45 UTC
I thought police had housing allowances - perhaps they never did or perhaps
it has stopped?
There certainly used to be 'Police Houses' years ago.