Caroline Obit in Guardian today
2017-02-16 06:30:10 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Vicky
2017-02-16 08:38:25 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Sally Bowles!!!? Amanda, yes, Lady Bracknell, later perhaps,but
Sally? She was too county :).

"Coward and Ormond undertook a Dalmatian coast cruise on which they
gave nightly performances of their risque musical two-hander, Wicked
Women." I would love to see that. I wonder if there is a recording.

And I love that she had recue dogs. Like us.
2017-02-16 10:32:10 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by John Ashby
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Sally Bowles!!!? Amanda, yes, Lady Bracknell, later perhaps,but
Sally? She was too county :).
"Coward and Ormond undertook a Dalmatian coast cruise on which they
gave nightly performances of their risque musical two-hander, Wicked
Women." I would love to see that. I wonder if there is a recording.
And I love that she had recue dogs. Like us.
Clearly not listening to DumTeeDum. Disappointing.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-02-16 08:52:55 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Chris McMillan
2017-02-16 09:11:59 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.

2017-02-16 10:33:16 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
http://www.samaritans.org/news/tribute-sara-coward-archers-actress-and-samaritans-volunteer

I really thinks this tells us even more.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-02-16 11:27:47 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
Yes, it would :)

On a point of order though, the obit says that "she married Oliver
Sterling after he bought Grey Gables, and thereby became its co-owner",
which makes it sound as if she married Oliver largely in order to get
Grey Gables. Actually, of course, she married him first and then,
later, they jointly bought GG from Jack.
Q. Why would a golfer wear two pairs of socks?
A. In case he gets a hole inone.
krw
2017-02-16 11:44:22 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
Yes, it would :)
On a point of order though, the obit says that "she married Oliver
Sterling after he bought Grey Gables, and thereby became its co-owner",
which makes it sound as if she married Oliver largely in order to get
Grey Gables. Actually, of course, she married him first and then,
later, they jointly bought GG from Jack.
Is Caroline dead? I await confirmation on that point.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Serena Blanchflower
2017-02-16 13:25:58 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
Yes, it would :)
On a point of order though, the obit says that "she married Oliver
Sterling after he bought Grey Gables, and thereby became its
co-owner", which makes it sound as if she married Oliver largely in
order to get Grey Gables. Actually, of course, she married him first
and then, later, they jointly bought GG from Jack.
Is Caroline dead? I await confirmation on that point.
Caroline is still alive and has now found a villa to buy in Tuscany,
abandoning GG to be run by Roy and Kathy.
The letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life (2 Corinthians 3:6)
Mike McMillan
2017-02-16 13:34:18 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
Yes, it would :)
On a point of order though, the obit says that "she married Oliver
Sterling after he bought Grey Gables, and thereby became its
co-owner", which makes it sound as if she married Oliver largely in
order to get Grey Gables. Actually, of course, she married him first
and then, later, they jointly bought GG from Jack.
Is Caroline dead? I await confirmation on that point.
Caroline is still alive and has now found a villa to buy in Tuscany,
abandoning GG to be run by Roy and Kathy.
Perhaps she will become a 'sleeping partner' now...
2017-02-16 19:14:41 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
Yes, it would :)
On a point of order though, the obit says that "she married Oliver
Sterling after he bought Grey Gables, and thereby became its
co-owner", which makes it sound as if she married Oliver largely in
order to get Grey Gables. Actually, of course, she married him first
and then, later, they jointly bought GG from Jack.
Is Caroline dead? I await confirmation on that point.
Caroline is still alive and has now found a villa to buy in Tuscany,
abandoning GG to be run by Roy and Kathy.
Perhaps she will become a 'sleeping partner' now...
You'd think we'd have heard Kathy regularly wouldn't you? Maybe we now
will.

2017-02-16 14:15:57 UTC
Caroline is still alive and has now found a villa to buy in Tuscany,
abandoning GG to be run by Roy and Kathy.
I think Roy and Ian should offer to buy GG from Caroline.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike McMillan
2017-02-16 14:40:01 UTC
Caroline is still alive and has now found a villa to buy in Tuscany,
abandoning GG to be run by Roy and Kathy.
I think Roy and Ian should offer to buy GG from Caroline.
And buy RBS at the same time?!
p***@never.here
2017-02-16 17:04:34 UTC
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 14:40:01 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Caroline is still alive and has now found a villa to buy in Tuscany,
abandoning GG to be run by Roy and Kathy.
I think Roy and Ian should offer to buy GG from Caroline.
And buy RBS at the same time?!
and there also the CO-OP Bank. That's up for sale as well.
Pete
Nick Odell
2017-02-16 17:19:10 UTC
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 11:27:47 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/15/sara-coward-obituary
Thanks for this John.
I like the idea of her and FAL being wicked together, that would have been
worth seeing.
Yes, it would :)
On a point of order though, the obit says that "she married Oliver
Sterling after he bought Grey Gables, and thereby became its co-owner",
which makes it sound as if she married Oliver largely in order to get
Grey Gables. Actually, of course, she married him first and then,
later, they jointly bought GG from Jack.
On another point of order, it says

"She did not have to audition for the part: the programme’s former
producer Vanessa Whitburn chanced to see her playing Lady Macbeth in
rep in Southampton, recognised the potential of her glorious golden
voice and offered her the role."

But this was forty years ago: surely VW wasn't involved with the
programme back then?

2017-02-16 21:20:57 UTC
[...]
I wondered at that.
The Beetle retired in 2013 after 22 years in post.
You're right.
Some homework wasn't done very well.
2017-02-16 21:24:33 UTC
[...]
Or maybe this is when they first met? The beetle was at Brookside before
she went to Ambridge.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Sid Nuncius
2017-02-17 08:32:20 UTC
I wondered at that.
The Beetle retired in 2013 after 22 years in post.
You're right.
Some homework wasn't done very well.
Honestly! You wait *months* for a decent Rubbish Limerick, and then two
come along in the space of a couple of weeks.

I blame the teachers.
2017-02-17 11:32:16 UTC
[...]
Nick
No she wasn't. I am pretty sure Smethurst brought her on board.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-02-17 11:36:28 UTC
[...]
Correction - it was before Smethurst and his book does not mention the
story. Well before Whitburn was involved. Tony Shryane was in charge
at the time.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-02-17 13:46:18 UTC
[...]
Correction. VW was studio director at the time concerned and therefore
may well have been responsible for recruiting Sara on board after all.
This is in an earlier Smethurst book which I went back and checked. So
looks like the story is indeed true.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Mike McMillan
2017-02-17 17:21:19 UTC
Correction. VW was studio director at the time concerned and therefore
may well have been responsible for recruiting Sara on board after all.
This is in an earlier Smethurst book which I went back and checked. So
looks like the story is indeed true.
Last worms included Sara in the listing..... but no mention of her was made
in the programme in the end.
p***@never.here
2017-02-18 11:53:41 UTC
[...]
Thanks krw. The same "Lady Macbeth" info is in the Telegraph obit but
they don't refer to VW by name. The obit only refers to the "Archer's
producer", which she wasn't, as you have explained and "she told me"
Pete
p***@never.here
2017-02-18 12:30:37 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
I should have said "which she wasn't at the time"
Pete
krw
2017-02-18 13:36:53 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
I know - but interesting that the links go back that far. I knew VW had
worked on the programme much earlier and of course there was later bad
blood between Smethurst and VW so perhaps the enmity between them meant
he left out such an interesting tidbit (or titbit, never sure).
tiny.cc/KRWpics