Restaurant etiquette
krw
2017-07-02 22:25:57 UTC
Another puzzler for you all.

Last night prior to the aforementioned concert we ate at an adjoining
restaurant. They have two menus - a menu du jour and an á la carte.
The former had a two course and a three course price

Wofe ate three courses from the former and I ate two courses but
selected a cheese board from the main menu as I cannot consume the sugar
in most desserts.

When the bill arrived we were charged for two x three course menu on the
first menu plus the cheese board from the main menu.

When I sought to point this out the response was to explain that
normally people could only select from one or the other menus throughout
and therefore she had hit the buttons as I had had three courses.
However the cheese was charged at full price - so I was charged for a
dessert I had not had.

Why was the response not along the lines "I am very sorry sir, I shall
put it right immediately?"

I still left a (depleted) tip. Should I have left no tip at all?

Views welcomed.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-07-02 22:33:29 UTC
On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 23:25:57 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
You should have asked to speak to the manager.
Post by krw
I still left a (depleted) tip. Should I have left no tip at all?
I'm not one for tipping but as I understand it a tiny tip says a great deal
more about your displeasure than no tip at all.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Btms
2017-07-03 07:01:22 UTC
Post by krw
Another puzzler for you all.
Last night prior to the aforementioned concert we ate at an adjoining
restaurant. They have two menus - a menu du jour and an á la carte.
The former had a two course and a three course price
Wofe ate three courses from the former and I ate two courses but
selected a cheese board from the main menu as I cannot consume the sugar
in most desserts.
Not sure this is quite fair. If you choose a set meal but decline some of
it, this is up to you. I cant see how you can expect to create your own
set meal option. If there was caviar available, one wouldn't expect to say
I don't want the soup but will substitute the caviar. But maybe I have
misunderstood your point?
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Chris J Dixon
2017-07-03 07:30:23 UTC
Post by Btms
Not sure this is quite fair. If you choose a set meal but decline some of
it, this is up to you. I cant see how you can expect to create your own
set meal option. If there was caviar available, one wouldn't expect to say
I don't want the soup but will substitute the caviar. But maybe I have
misunderstood your point?
The point is that he ate the two course set meal, and in addition
had a dessert, but was instead charged for a three course set
meal plus dessert.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
Btms
2017-07-03 07:31:48 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Btms
Not sure this is quite fair. If you choose a set meal but decline some of
it, this is up to you. I cant see how you can expect to create your own
set meal option. If there was caviar available, one wouldn't expect to say
I don't want the soup but will substitute the caviar. But maybe I have
misunderstood your point?
The point is that he ate the two course set meal, and in addition
had a dessert, but was instead charged for a three course set
meal plus dessert.
Chris
I understood the set meal was three courses, one of which was declined.
Then a chesse board ordered.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Anne B
2017-07-10 17:58:36 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Btms
Not sure this is quite fair. If you choose a set meal but decline some of
it, this is up to you. I cant see how you can expect to create your own
set meal option. If there was caviar available, one wouldn't expect to say
I don't want the soup but will substitute the caviar. But maybe I have
misunderstood your point?
The point is that he ate the two course set meal, and in addition
had a dessert, but was instead charged for a three course set
meal plus dessert.
Chris
I understood the set meal was three courses, one of which was declined.
Then a chesse board ordered.
No. He said there were a three-course option and a two-course option. If
he ate the two-course option plus cheeseboard he should have been
charged the two-course price plus cheeseboard, not the three-course
price plus cheeseboard.

I would not have left a tip, and I would have made a fuss about it.

Anne B
BrritSki
2017-07-03 13:13:06 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Btms
Not sure this is quite fair. If you choose a set meal but decline some of
it, this is up to you. I cant see how you can expect to create your own
set meal option. If there was caviar available, one wouldn't expect to say
I don't want the soup but will substitute the caviar. But maybe I have
misunderstood your point?
The point is that he ate the two course set meal, and in addition
had a dessert, but was instead charged for a three course set
meal plus dessert.
Exactly. I would have escalated the complaint and then not left a tip or
visited again.
krw
2017-07-03 08:23:09 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Another puzzler for you all.
Last night prior to the aforementioned concert we ate at an adjoining
restaurant. They have two menus - a menu du jour and an á la carte.
The former had a two course and a three course price
Wofe ate three courses from the former and I ate two courses but
selected a cheese board from the main menu as I cannot consume the sugar
in most desserts.
Not sure this is quite fair. If you choose a set meal but decline some of
it, this is up to you. I cant see how you can expect to create your own
set meal option. If there was caviar available, one wouldn't expect to say
I don't want the soup but will substitute the caviar. But maybe I have
misunderstood your point?
We were not told at any point that we had to stay with the set menu when
we ordered from it. The set menu had a two course price option, which
is what we were eventually charged.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-07-03 09:18:21 UTC
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 09:23:09 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by krw
Another puzzler for you all.
Last night prior to the aforementioned concert we ate at an adjoining
restaurant. They have two menus - a menu du jour and an á la carte.
The former had a two course and a three course price
Wofe ate three courses from the former and I ate two courses but
selected a cheese board from the main menu as I cannot consume the sugar
in most desserts.
We were not told at any point that we had to stay with the set menu when
we ordered from it. The set menu had a two course price option, which
is what we were eventually charged.
Then I misunderstood. You said wofe ate 3 courses - so how was that the two
course option? Why are you complaining?
krw
2017-07-03 12:21:48 UTC
Post by Penny
dust...
Post by krw
Post by krw
Another puzzler for you all.
Last night prior to the aforementioned concert we ate at an adjoining
restaurant. They have two menus - a menu du jour and an á la carte.
The former had a two course and a three course price
Wofe ate three courses from the former and I ate two courses but
selected a cheese board from the main menu as I cannot consume the sugar
in most desserts.
We were not told at any point that we had to stay with the set menu when
we ordered from it. The set menu had a two course price option, which
is what we were eventually charged.
Then I misunderstood. You said wofe ate 3 courses - so how was that the two
course option? Why are you complaining?
We were initially charged for two times the three course option plus
cheese from the main menu.

Afterwards we were charged once for the three course menu, once for the
two course menu plus one cheese.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-07-03 13:42:50 UTC
On Mon, 3 Jul 2017 13:21:48 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Penny
dust...
Post by krw
Post by krw
[...]
Well that sounds correct, although it's not what you said above.
Btms
2017-07-03 09:19:09 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
[...]
That seems fair but I dont understand why you seem to expect to have three
courses of your choice for a set price. This is what I was thinking I may
have misunderstood.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Vicky
2017-07-03 10:15:10 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
[...]
Penny and Btms
He had the 2 courses and wife had the 3 courses! Then he added an item
off the a la carte. Simple! No reason to charge him for 3 courses for
his own meal. Having the set meal does not mean you can't order an
extra item, does it?
Vicky
Penny
2017-07-03 11:02:15 UTC
On Mon, 03 Jul 2017 11:15:10 +0100, Vicky <***@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Vicky
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
[...]
But he now says he was charged for two courses each from the set menu even
though wofe had had three. Where is the problem?
Btms
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
krw
2017-07-03 12:22:46 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by Btms
Post by krw
[...]
I don't. I expect the staff to respond properly when a complaint is
raised for a mistake they have made rather than try and argue it is
right (when it isn't).
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-07-03 17:20:43 UTC
Post by krw
Post by Btms
That seems fair but I dont understand why you seem to expect to have three
courses of your choice for a set price. This is what I was thinking I may
have misunderstood.
I don't. I expect the staff to respond properly when a complaint is
raised for a mistake they have made rather than try and argue it is
right (when it isn't).
Yebut you are quite bright.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
LFS
2017-07-03 07:20:14 UTC
Post by krw
[...]
You seem to have had a bad evening.

When we find that one course of a set menu may not suit us, our approach
is to discuss this when ordering to find out what alternative options
may be available, rather than make any assumptions. This can sometimes
result in a very positive experience: an adaptation to the set course
dish or the substitution of a possibly more expensive item from the a la
carte menu for no extra charge.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
krw
2017-07-03 08:25:09 UTC
Post by LFS
When we find that one course of a set menu may not suit us, our approach
is to discuss this when ordering to find out what alternative options
may be available, rather than make any assumptions. This can sometimes
result in a very positive experience: an adaptation to the set course
dish or the substitution of a possibly more expensive item from the a la
carte menu for no extra charge.
When it is made clear by the staff that the set menu is fixed then we
would raise it. As I said the set menu had a two course price so saw no
need to mention my need to deviate on the third course.

Had they objected when I ordered - making it clear I was ordering from
the main menu I would then have not had any cheese.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-07-03 09:19:09 UTC
Post by krw
Post by LFS
When we find that one course of a set menu may not suit us, our approach
is to discuss this when ordering to find out what alternative options
may be available, rather than make any assumptions. This can sometimes
result in a very positive experience: an adaptation to the set course
dish or the substitution of a possibly more expensive item from the a la
carte menu for no extra charge.
When it is made clear by the staff that the set menu is fixed then we
would raise it. As I said the set menu had a two course price so saw no
need to mention my need to deviate on the third course.
Had they objected when I ordered - making it clear I was ordering from
the main menu I would then have not had any cheese.
Oh but again, why do you think you can choose a third course from the main
menu.
Ime this is never part of the set price option. And you eat out loads more
than me, so I can't understand the gripe. 😏😘
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Fenny
2017-07-03 10:09:30 UTC
Post by Btms
Oh but again, why do you think you can choose a third course from the main
menu.
Ime this is never part of the set price option. And you eat out loads more
than me, so I can't understand the gripe. ??
AIUI, there were 2 options
a) A 3 course option, which wofe had
b) a 2 course option, which KRW had.

Additionally, KRW had cheese from the main menu.

However, they were charged for 2 x 3 course menus PLUS cheese. I
would have expected a charge for each of the menu option plus cheese.
The cheese was not a substitution for a course of the 3 course menu,
it was additional to the 2 course menu. As such, it may have come to
more than the 3 course menu. But to be charged for an additional
course that was never ordered seems a bit much.
Fenny
krw
2017-07-03 12:24:23 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Oh but again, why do you think you can choose a third course from the main
menu.
Ime this is never part of the set price option. And you eat out loads more
than me, so I can't understand the gripe. ??
AIUI, there were 2 options
a) A 3 course option, which wofe had
b) a 2 course option, which KRW had.
Additionally, KRW had cheese from the main menu.
However, they were charged for 2 x 3 course menus PLUS cheese. I
would have expected a charge for each of the menu option plus cheese.
The cheese was not a substitution for a course of the 3 course menu,
it was additional to the 2 course menu. As such, it may have come to
more than the 3 course menu. But to be charged for an additional
course that was never ordered seems a bit much.
Thank you!!!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Btms
2017-07-03 17:20:42 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Btms
Oh but again, why do you think you can choose a third course from the main
menu.
Ime this is never part of the set price option. And you eat out loads more
than me, so I can't understand the gripe. ??
AIUI, there were 2 options
a) A 3 course option, which wofe had
b) a 2 course option, which KRW had.
Additionally, KRW had cheese from the main menu.
However, they were charged for 2 x 3 course menus PLUS cheese. I
would have expected a charge for each of the menu option plus cheese.
The cheese was not a substitution for a course of the 3 course menu,
it was additional to the 2 course menu. As such, it may have come to
more than the 3 course menu. But to be charged for an additional
course that was never ordered seems a bit much.
Got it! I am now firmly on KRWs team.
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Vicky
Vicky
Chris J Dixon
2017-07-03 10:31:37 UTC
Post by Btms
Oh but again, why do you think you can choose a third course from the main
menu.
Ime this is never part of the set price option. And you eat out loads more
than me, so I can't understand the gripe. ??
To my way of thinking, and supported by the response of places
where I have done it, seems quite straightforward.

If the set menu has 1, 2 and 3 course options, they should be
charged as advertised.

If the diner wishes to add to that by selecting an item from the
main menu, then it will be charged the individual price shown.

I did once find some odd pricing where the 2 item cost was
greater than the 1 item, plus any of the individual prices, but
we went for 3 which was good value. I think it was the end of the
season, ant they were keen to reduce stock levels.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
krw
2017-07-03 12:23:57 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by LFS
[...]
The gripe is the response from the member of staff for the wrong bill.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Anne B
2017-07-10 18:01:42 UTC
Post by Btms
Post by krw
Post by LFS
[...]
Because they initially tried to charge him for four courses when he only
ate three courses.

Anne B

Marjorie
2017-07-05 07:53:57 UTC
Post by krw
Post by LFS
When we find that one course of a set menu may not suit us, our
approach is to discuss this when ordering to find out what alternative
options may be available, rather than make any assumptions. This can
sometimes result in a very positive experience: an adaptation to the
set course dish or the substitution of a possibly more expensive item
from the a la carte menu for no extra charge.
When it is made clear by the staff that the set menu is fixed then we
would raise it. As I said the set menu had a two course price so saw no
need to mention my need to deviate on the third course.
Had they objected when I ordered - making it clear I was ordering from
the main menu I would then have not had any cheese.
I understand you completely, and you are right.

In my experience, restaurant staff sometimes do use the different
tariffs to cloud the issue and bump up the charges. You can never tell
if it's been done intentionally, but I suspect it sometimes is. The
mistakes seldom happen the other way round.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Vicky
2017-07-03 08:39:55 UTC
Post by krw
[...]
No tip. Unless the food and service was good.

While we're being GOPs (grumpy old pensioners) I had my hair cut and
blowdried on Friday at the hairdresser in the Asda complex, as I like
to shop afterwards, and I said very short, the fringe too as I swim
every day, and the young woman said well we can''t do it that short,
nobody here will, as it will just stick up. Nobody here will cut it
that sort for you.

Her manner was quite rude and I considered walking out but I had
planned to have the cut, hate having haircuts, hence the get it all
off and not go back for ages cut. She then cut it pretty short. It
usually sticks up anyway as it gets greyer and the texture changes.
She cut it too short in some places as it is not a good cut, not quite
right at the back and the sideburns are completely gone.

It was the way she talked though that I objected to. She could have
said it much more pleasantly, and as a hairdresser should have. Then
it turned out to cost more than I anticipated. But I still left 10%. I
had decided not to go back so am annoyed with myself at leaving £3.
And I resent not being able to go back as it is convenient but could
ask for a different person. I think she's done it at least twice.
Vicky
Fenny
2017-07-03 10:12:28 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
[...]
I hate having my hair cut, too. It was good at the college, as the
staff always oversaw the students and they generally knew what I like.
I've found a local place close to work, that I can go to at lunchtime.
The woman who cuts it always asks what I want and whether it's short
enough. Never had any issue. I only went there in the first place
because they were open after work when I really needed a cut last
year. Always had good service. But if there had been any problem,
I'd just go somewhere else. It's not as though we're short of
hairdressers in the town centre!
Fenny
BrritSki
2017-07-03 13:22:05 UTC
Post by Vicky
While we're being GOPs (grumpy old pensioners) I had my hair cut and
blowdried on Friday...
I hate having my hair cut, too....
Oi, why didn't you snip [1] ? ;)

The person who cuts my hair is a right ***@. Never speaks, never offers
me a cup of coffee or anything, and when I had it done last week the
cutter broke down. Fortunately the machine was repairable so I wasn't
left with it half done.

OTOH I don't charge myself anything or get any hair down my shirt and I
get straight in the shower afterwards.

If you just have a buzz cut all over on a number 2 then it's very
economical - cutter cost me £20 or so 3 years ago and I only have a
couple of proper haircuts a year in a shop in the winter when I wear my
hair a bit longer.

[1] Especially appropriate in this case !
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-03 20:19:51 UTC
I used to like my hair short, even in the seventies when everyone (men)
had it long (think Kevin Keegan). Partly because it's curly and I found
that much easier to manage when short. (And I've always brushed it
straight back - no parting. [They don't really stay in my hair anyway.])

In message <***@4ax.com>, Fenny
<***@removethis.onetel.net> writes:
[]
Post by Fenny
I hate having my hair cut, too. It was good at the college, as the
[]
So do I - well, not hate it, but I don't particularly like it. (Apart
from one time in Chelmsford station when I had the full works, being
laid backwards into a washbasin or whatever; that _was_ nice.)

A few years ago I stopped. Mainly for curiosity, to see what would
happen, and after a little while, out of perversity at those around me
who didn't like it. What actually _has_ happened? Well, it _hasn't_
grown into a ball as I'd feared, it being curly: I think Caucasian curly
doesn't, when it's over a certain length. It hasn't, to my slight
disappointment, grown very long either: it seems to have stopped a bit
below collar length. (It hasn't stopped growing, so I presume it must
break off. That sounds as if it looks terrible, but I don't think it
does.)

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke
LFS
2017-07-03 13:38:32 UTC
Post by Vicky
While we're being GOPs (grumpy old pensioners) I had my hair cut and
blowdried on Friday at the hairdresser in the Asda complex, as I like
to shop afterwards, and I said very short, the fringe too as I swim
every day, and the young woman said well we can''t do it that short,
nobody here will, as it will just stick up. Nobody here will cut it
that sort for you.
I have had the same hairdresser for about 20 years and was devastated
when she told me in March that she was giving up work. I asked on FB if
anyone local knew of someone who is good at cutting curly hair (very few
hairdressers are IME) and a friend of a friend recommended someone. I
finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment for Thursday and I
am dreading it.

Apart from the challenge of having to explain exactly what I want - and
that I don't want my hair sprayed with anything and I'm happy to leave
the salon with it damp - I have no idea what to do about tipping as my
previous hairdresser was a senior stylist at a rather posh place and I
never tipped her - I think she earned more than I did.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
the Omrud
2017-07-03 14:49:43 UTC
Post by LFS
I have had the same hairdresser for about 20 years and was devastated
when she told me in March that she was giving up work. I asked on FB if
anyone local knew of someone who is good at cutting curly hair (very few
hairdressers are IME) and a friend of a friend recommended someone. I
finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment for Thursday and I
am dreading it.
Apart from the challenge of having to explain exactly what I want - and
that I don't want my hair sprayed with anything and I'm happy to leave
the salon with it damp - I have no idea what to do about tipping as my
previous hairdresser was a senior stylist at a rather posh place and I
never tipped her - I think she earned more than I did.
Presumably it's different for men, however: I used to give 50p as a tip
until the cost got to about £8 and now (I think it's now £12), I give
£1. Barbers (they're not all men these days) are self employed (at
least in our area) under a scheme known as "rent a chair". They
presumably pay the owner an amount to work there for the day, and get to
keep the fees.
David
Peter Percival
2017-07-03 15:36:24 UTC
the Omrud wrote:

(Concerning barbers)
Post by the Omrud
Presumably it's different for men, however: I used to give 50p as a
tip until the cost got to about £8 and now (I think it's now £12), I
give £1.
My barber charged £9 for many years and I would give him a £10 note and
tell him to keep the change. Then he took to charging £10 and I
continued to give him £10. After a while he went back to charging £9.
I guess that he made no more money with the £10 charge than the £9 charge.
to me what you really mean.
krw
2017-07-03 16:53:34 UTC
It seems to depend who cuts my hair. Usually charged £9 so I hand over
£10 note and tell them to keep the change.

One girl (who knows I have retired) charges £6.50 - presumably a
pensioner price or similar. I add a further £1.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk