A dreadful confession and a profuse apology
2018-03-12 18:41:29 UTC
I went to look at something in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, my finger
slipped on the mouse wheel and 2 folders vanished. Of all the rotten
luck, one of them was the folder containing all the 2017 BTNs. If only
I'd got off my backside and organized the ceremony when I should have
done, such a loss would not have mattered much - as the loss of the
other folder, the 2016 BTNs doesn't so I feel thoroughly incompetent,
only somewhat comforted by the thought that incompetence is somewhat
admired in the LSS.

I'm afraid I just do not have the time or the energy to trawl through
Goggle Gropes to reconstruct the folder. I can only grovel abjectly and
assure you all that the 2018 folder is intact.

By way of a very small recompense, I propose to host a Dinner at
Ambridge Village Hall on the very next day when everyrat is available to
attend. It had been my intention to hire the Hall for the Awards
Ceremony this year. I don't know whether we've ever heard mention of a
Village Hall but I have no doubt the SWs could provide one at a moment's
notice if there isn't one.
Jenny M Benson - on her knees
Serena Blanchflower
2018-03-12 18:45:16 UTC
I went to look at something in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, my finger
slipped on the mouse wheel and 2 folders vanished.  Of all the rotten
luck, one of them was the folder containing all the 2017 BTNs.  If only
I'd got off my backside and organized the ceremony when I should have
done, such a loss would not have mattered much - as the loss of the
other folder, the 2016 BTNs doesn't so I feel thoroughly incompetent,
only somewhat comforted by the thought that incompetence is somewhat
admired in the LSS.
Just on the offchance, have you checked the "Deleted" folder, in
Thunderbird, in case the missing folders are sitting safely in there?
She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it (Anon)
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-12 19:11:28 UTC
Just on the offchance, have you checked the "Deleted" folder, in
Thunderbird, in case the missing folders are sitting safely in there?
Yes, I'm afraid I've looked in vain in EVERY folder.
2018-03-12 20:17:52 UTC
Just on the offchance, have you checked the "Deleted" folder, in
Thunderbird, in case the missing folders are sitting safely in there?
Yes, I'm afraid I've looked in vain in EVERY folder.
I thought that was too much to hope for but it seemed worth checking.
Little by little one walks far (Peruvian Proverb)
steveski
2018-03-12 20:22:10 UTC
Just on the offchance, have you checked the "Deleted" folder, in
Thunderbird, in case the missing folders are sitting safely in there?
Yes, I'm afraid I've looked in vain in EVERY folder.
I thought that was too much to hope for but it seemed worth checking.
Have you moved the folders within the tree structure? i.e. made them sub-
folders of another.
2018-03-12 19:14:41 UTC
I went to look at something in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, my finger
slipped on the mouse wheel and 2 folders vanished.  Of all the rotten
luck, one of them was the folder containing all the 2017 BTNs.  If only
I'd got off my backside and organized the ceremony when I should have
done, such a loss would not have mattered much - as the loss of the
other folder, the 2016 BTNs doesn't so I feel thoroughly incompetent,
only somewhat comforted by the thought that incompetence is somewhat
admired in the LSS.
Just on the offchance, have you checked the "Deleted" folder, in
Thunderbird, in case the missing folders are sitting safely in there?
Such a search smacks of adequacy; don’t listen to her Jenny.
2018-03-12 19:14:41 UTC
[...]
Point of order m’dear, incompetence is certainly admired but as the perp it
is required that you do not acknowledge it. Just come up with some feeble
justification and it’ll be fine.
2018-03-12 19:27:33 UTC
I went to look at something in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, my finger
slipped on the mouse wheel and 2 folders vanished.  Of all the rotten
luck, one of them was the folder containing all the 2017 BTNs.
Not to worry, MOPMOB. Those of us who received BTNs already know that
we won, so no harm done. :o)

(Just on the off-chance - and you've almost certainly thought of this
already - have you managed to drag and drop them into a neighbouring
folder? That's what usually happens when I have a Mouse Catastrophe.
And you can always try System Restore, of course.)
2018-03-12 19:40:04 UTC
I went to look at something in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, my finger
slipped on the mouse wheel and 2 folders vanished.  Of all the rotten
luck, one of them was the folder containing all the 2017 BTNs.
Not to worry, MOPMOB. Those of us who received BTNs already know that
we won, so no harm done. :o)
(Just on the off-chance - and you've almost certainly thought of this
already - have you managed to drag and drop them into a neighbouring
folder? That's what usually happens when I have a Mouse Catastrophe.
And you can always try System Restore, of course.)
Tell ‘em standards were so high it was too challenging to pick winners and
you feel most strongly that it isn’t the winning but the taking part.
That should silence the awkward nuggers. Or, enties were such rubbish
none are worthy of acclaim.
2018-03-12 19:47:29 UTC
I went to look at something in Thunderbird a few minutes ago, my finger
slipped on the mouse wheel and 2 folders vanished.  Of all the rotten
luck, one of them was the folder containing all the 2017 BTNs.
Not to worry, MOPMOB. Those of us who received BTNs already know that
we won, so no harm done. :o)
(Just on the off-chance - and you've almost certainly thought of this
already - have you managed to drag and drop them into a neighbouring
folder? That's what usually happens when I have a Mouse Catastrophe.
And you can always try System Restore, of course.)
Tell ‘em standards were so high it was too challenging to pick winners and
you feel most strongly that it isn’t the winning but the taking part.
That should silence the awkward nuggers. Or, enties were such rubbish
none are worthy of acclaim.
Or that after Allison Janney's performance as Dierdre Barlow in "I,
Tonya", there was no way anything that happened on umra coud possibly
be considered BT every again.
2018-03-12 19:45:55 UTC
On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:41:29 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
By way of a very small recompense, I propose to host a Dinner at
Ambridge Village Hall on the very next day when everyrat is available to
attend. It had been my intention to hire the Hall for the Awards
Ceremony this year. I don't know whether we've ever heard mention of a
Village Hall but I have no doubt the SWs could provide one at a moment's
notice if there isn't one.
Shirley the Village Hall is the place that Anneka helped them
rennovate some years ago, and the place that after they turned down
Justin's generous funding to name after him [1], they re-rennovated
themselves, using only the liberal donations of time from various
villagers.

[1] While he was still married to Miranda, therefore totally
untrustworthy and not Somebody We Would Want To Associate With.
2018-03-12 21:08:03 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
By way of a very small recompense, I propose to host a Dinner at
Ambridge Village Hall on the very next day when everyrat is available to
attend. It had been my intention to hire the Hall for the Awards
Ceremony this year. I don't know whether we've ever heard mention of a
Village Hall but I have no doubt the SWs could provide one at a moment's
notice if there isn't one.
Shirley the Village Hall is the place that Anneka helped them
rennovate some years ago, and the place that after they turned down
Justin's generous funding to name after him [1], they re-rennovated
themselves, using only the liberal donations of time from various
villagers.
[1] While he was still married to Miranda, therefore totally
untrustworthy and not Somebody We Would Want To Associate With.
I bet whoever stole the bunting took the BTN folders as well. The work
of the same thief. Or maybe it was a disgruntled nominee whose BT was
disallowed.
Flop
2018-03-12 21:40:36 UTC
[...]
Shutting the stable door:-

Mozbackup is a simple program for Thunderbird and Firefox....

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php

Two caveats. Thunderbird backup can be very large (>2GB depending on
number of emails and size of attachments).

The program is very, very old. I have used it with Thunderbird very
successfully. But, with the number of version changes since it was
written, it may be a disaster.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Kate B
2018-03-12 23:05:53 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
I use it every week, I hope it's still reliable! I have successfully
retrieved stuff from it in the last year or so, though those were
selcted emails or groups of emails. I haven't used it to restore a
profile lately. My backup is currently 2.5GB. Is there a limit?