Caroline...
p***@never.here
2017-02-18 12:25:16 UTC
In both the Guardian and Telegraph obits they refer, as the Telegraph
puts it "She was paired off over the years wih various unsuitable
men(Including an affair with Brian Aldridge).

I'd forgotten this, but From VW's book on TA, in 1994 she was due to
marry Robin Stokes, who was vicar of St Stephens at the time.

It was on his way home to a "surprise party" being held at Glebe
cottage for Caroline that Mark, swerving to avoid Caroline, who had
been thrown from her horse in the middle of the road, is killed when
he crashes into a tree.

The accident had stayed in my mind but not, I must confess the events
leading up to it.
Pete
krw
2017-02-18 13:44:07 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In both the Guardian and Telegraph obits they refer, as the Telegraph
puts it "She was paired off over the years wih various unsuitable
men(Including an affair with Brian Aldridge).
I'd forgotten this, but From VW's book on TA, in 1994 she was due to
marry Robin Stokes, who was vicar of St Stephens at the time.
It was on his way home to a "surprise party" being held at Glebe
cottage for Caroline that Mark, swerving to avoid Caroline, who had
been thrown from her horse in the middle of the road, is killed when
he crashes into a tree.
The accident had stayed in my mind but not, I must confess the events
leading up to it.
Her list of partners was pretty long.
Brian
Robin Stokes
Guy Pemberton
Oliver Sterling
Matthew Thorogood
Lance
Paul Chubb
Cameron Fraser
and the estate manager at Rodway and Watson - they went to the Lake
District, name escapes me.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Sid Nuncius
2017-02-18 16:45:02 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
2017-02-18 16:54:26 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Another important part that just faded away.

2017-02-18 17:47:36 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Graham Ryder? Maybe he did.
2017-02-18 18:19:11 UTC
On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 16:54:26 GMT, Chris McMillan
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
Another important part that just faded away.
Poor Graham, I don't recall hearing about that, no wonder they never
cormoranted.
2017-02-18 19:51:32 UTC
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
Another important part that just faded away.
You mean it wasn't that they didn't fancy each other but that GR
couldn't, er, rise to the occasion?
2017-02-18 20:32:39 UTC
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
Another important part that just faded away.
You mean it wasn't that they didn't fancy each other but that GR
couldn't, er, rise to the occasion?
I would guess we were left to work this out by ourselves but I think you
are right. I don't recall this time so I am only reinforcing your
thinking, not confirming it.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Sid Nuncius
2017-02-19 06:34:15 UTC
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
Another important part that just faded away.
You mean it wasn't that they didn't fancy each other but that GR
couldn't, er, rise to the occasion?
I would guess we were left to work this out by ourselves but I think you
are right. I don't recall this time so I am only reinforcing your
thinking, not confirming it.
No, there was no suggestion of performance inadequacy, IIRC. That was
just a squalidly vulgar, deliberate misinterpretation of Chris's post,
which most certainly didn't occur to me! Oh, no. I'm much too pure-minded.

I think on TA there was just a scene where one of them (I think
Caroline) awkwardly declared that the romantic thing wasn't happening
for her, and the other said words to the effect of "Phew! Me neither,
so that's all right then. But we can still enjoy a companionable
weekend." Mind you, my memory these days is dismally poor, so that may
be complete bolleaux.
2017-02-19 08:00:51 UTC
[...]
Odd to only discover you have no chemistry between you only after agreeing
to a romantic weekend away. I wonder what all this was about in terms of a
story. Perhaps in the experiences of the Editor and writers this is a
likely scenario. Doesn't sound right to me. I do have a vague memory of
it being the way Sid describes.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Mike McMillan
2017-02-19 09:11:03 UTC
[...]
It is all pretty close to the scene we overheard between Caroline and the
Vicar.
2017-02-19 11:14:07 UTC
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 09:11:03 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
I think on TA there was just a scene where one of them (I think
Caroline) awkwardly declared that the romantic thing wasn't happening
for her, and the other said words to the effect of "Phew! Me neither,
so that's all right then. But we can still enjoy a companionable
weekend." Mind you, my memory these days is dismally poor, so that may
be complete bolleaux.
Odd to only discover you have no chemistry between you only after agreeing
to a romantic weekend away. I wonder what all this was about in terms of a
story. Perhaps in the experiences of the Editor and writers this is a
likely scenario. Doesn't sound right to me. I do have a vague memory of
it being the way Sid describes.
It is all pretty close to the scene we overheard between Caroline and the
Vicar.
I think there was chemistry in that relationship, it was religion which got
in the way.
2017-02-19 11:17:17 UTC
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
Another important part that just faded away.
You mean it wasn't that they didn't fancy each other but that GR
couldn't, er, rise to the occasion?
I would guess we were left to work this out by ourselves but I think you
are right. I don't recall this time so I am only reinforcing your
thinking, not confirming it.
I got the impression they did but Caroline did not enjoy it.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Peter Percival
2017-02-18 17:47:39 UTC
Her [Caroline's] list of partners was pretty long.
Brian
Robin Stokes
Guy Pemberton
Oliver Sterling
Matthew Thorogood
Lance
Paul Chubb
Cameron Fraser
and the estate manager at Rodway and Watson - they went to the Lake
District, name escapes me.
Graham Ryder? IIRC, they went away together and found that they didn't
fancy each other, so they had an enjoyable, companionable weekend
together but no "relationship" (in the sausage concealment sense) developed.
So Graham didn't Ryder?
to me what you really mean.
p***@never.here
2017-02-19 11:48:03 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Wow! I am impressed. How did you conjure the list up, surely not from
memory. Most of the names are familiar but for Paul Chubb I had to
resort to TAE. Turns out he was a Fleet Air Arm pilot who back in
1984, and I quote, "wooed Caroline with his descriptions of reverse
thrust engines" We won't go there <g>

Lance ???
Pete
Btms
2017-02-19 13:42:37 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Mr Btms was a Nimrod man.... not much reverse thrust there. 😜
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Mike McMillan
2017-02-19 14:24:36 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Rather enigmatic comment there?
2017-02-19 14:27:47 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Mr Btms was RAF rather than Fleet Air Arm pilot as was the aforementioned
Mr Chubb. A Nimrod was essentially a Comet there was no reverse thrust.
Reader I married him.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Peter Percival
2017-02-19 14:57:49 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
A friend of Richard Locke?

2017-02-19 15:43:40 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Btms
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
From a different Era. I expect he bolted, leaving her morticefied.
john
I thought he couldn't lever alone, you know, he really latched onto her.
2017-02-19 15:00:22 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
A Comet Variation in fact.
BTMS - Usurped as Editor in waiting
Peter Percival
2017-02-19 14:55:39 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Btms
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
One must Hunter ound for a suitable Theme.
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-20 00:31:19 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Just some Enigmatic Variations.
2017-02-19 14:42:16 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Wow! I am impressed. How did you conjure the list up, surely not from
memory. Most of the names are familiar but for Paul Chubb I had to
resort to TAE. Turns out he was a Fleet Air Arm pilot who back in
1984, and I quote, "wooed Caroline with his descriptions of reverse
thrust engines" We won't go there <g>
Lance ???
Some from memory then TAE. Which was before Graham Ryder. When did
Lowfield start?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
p***@never.here
2017-02-20 10:08:37 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Wow! I am impressed. How did you conjure the list up, surely not from
memory. Most of the names are familiar but for Paul Chubb I had to
resort to TAE. Turns out he was a Fleet Air Arm pilot who back in
1984, and I quote, "wooed Caroline with his descriptions of reverse
thrust engines" We won't go there <g>
Lance ???
Some from memory then TAE. Which was before Graham Ryder. When did
Lowfield start?
The present site goes back to 1996

http://www.lowfield.co.uk/archers/archives.phtml

Any help with who Lance was? I can't find him by Christian name alone
in either TAE or the Book.
Pete
Penny
2017-02-20 10:32:09 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Any help with who Lance was? I can't find him by Christian name alone
in either TAE or the Book.
He appears under Caroline (Pemberton) in TAE, "A boyfriend called Lance
chucked her."

There is no mention of him in The Book.
p***@never.here
2017-02-20 10:48:03 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Any help with who Lance was? I can't find him by Christian name alone
in either TAE or the Book.
He appears under Caroline (Pemberton) in TAE, "A boyfriend called Lance
chucked her."
There is no mention of him in The Book.
Thanks Penny. It just proves I should read the entries fully. It's all
there in black and white <g>
Pete
krw
2017-02-20 16:44:19 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
Wow! I am impressed. How did you conjure the list up, surely not from
memory. Most of the names are familiar but for Paul Chubb I had to
resort to TAE. Turns out he was a Fleet Air Arm pilot who back in
1984, and I quote, "wooed Caroline with his descriptions of reverse
thrust engines" We won't go there <g>
Lance ???
Some from memory then TAE. Which was before Graham Ryder. When did
Lowfield start?
The present site goes back to 1996
http://www.lowfield.co.uk/archers/archives.phtml
Any help with who Lance was? I can't find him by Christian name alone
in either TAE or the Book.
Lance is mentioned under Caroline in TAE. I do not remember him
appearing on a recording - so a silent character?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
John Ashby
2017-02-20 17:42:45 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by krw
Post by p***@never.here
Wow! I am impressed. How did you conjure the list up, surely not from
memory. Most of the names are familiar but for Paul Chubb I had to
resort to TAE. Turns out he was a Fleet Air Arm pilot who back in
1984, and I quote, "wooed Caroline with his descriptions of reverse
thrust engines" We won't go there <g>
Lance ???
Some from memory then TAE. Which was before Graham Ryder. When did
Lowfield start?
The present site goes back to 1996
http://www.lowfield.co.uk/archers/archives.phtml
Any help with who Lance was? I can't find him by Christian name alone
in either TAE or the Book.
Lance is mentioned under Caroline in TAE. I do not remember him
appearing on a recording - so a silent character?
There's an opportunity for Brritski in there if ever I saw one.

2017-02-18 16:52:47 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In both the Guardian and Telegraph obits they refer, as the Telegraph
puts it "She was paired off over the years wih various unsuitable
men(Including an affair with Brian Aldridge).
I'd forgotten this, but From VW's book on TA, in 1994 she was due to
marry Robin Stokes, who was vicar of St Stephens at the time.
It was on his way home to a "surprise party" being held at Glebe
cottage for Caroline that Mark, swerving to avoid Caroline, who had
been thrown from her horse in the middle of the road, is killed when
he crashes into a tree.
The accident had stayed in my mind but not, I must confess the events
leading up to it.
Absolutely, far more of an impact than Brian - but that would mean
referring to Mark's tree. Perhaps that's meant to be forgotten.

2017-02-18 20:06:02 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In both the Guardian and Telegraph obits they refer, as the Telegraph
puts it "She was paired off over the years wih various unsuitable
men(Including an affair with Brian Aldridge).
I'd forgotten this, but From VW's book on TA, in 1994 she was due to
marry Robin Stokes, who was vicar of St Stephens at the time.
It was on his way home to a "surprise party" being held at Glebe
cottage for Caroline that Mark, swerving to avoid Caroline, who had
been thrown from her horse in the middle of the road, is killed when
he crashes into a tree.
The accident had stayed in my mind but not, I must confess the events
leading up to it.
It must have been a heck of a surprise party if Caroline was out for a
ride and got called in for a cuppa at Glebe Cottage. Where did she
leave the horse while they were partying?