Three point turn...
p***@never.here
2017-02-20 10:29:13 UTC
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"

What do they call it now?
Pete
Penny
2017-02-20 10:35:53 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Turn in the road. I'm told you won't fail for more than 3 points. I dare
say you might if you get into double figures.
p***@never.here
2017-02-20 11:13:51 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Turn in the road. I'm told you won't fail for more than 3 points. I dare
say you might if you get into double figures.
Thanks, Penny. I still prefer 3 point turn, but if that's what it is
called now who am I to argue.

Interestingly, from Tuesday 14th February's Daily Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11260861/Three-point-turn-could-be-dropped-from-driving-test.html

or http://tinyurl.com/megqr6n
Pete
Nick Leverton
2017-02-20 13:15:06 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Turn in the road. I'm told you won't fail for more than 3 points. I dare
say you might if you get into double figures.
Back in 198mumble I was given a five point turn in my driving test
(nobody could have got round there in three !)

Marmaduke Jinks
2017-02-21 20:48:04 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Penny
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Turn in the road. I'm told you won't fail for more than 3 points. I dare
say you might if you get into double figures.
Back in 198mumble I was given a five point turn in my driving test
(nobody could have got round there in three !)
Nick
I'm pretty sure my driving instructor, back in 1976, said "turn around
in the round using forward and reverse gears" rather than 3 point turn.

MJ
Peter Percival
2017-02-21 21:10:17 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Penny
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Turn in the road. I'm told you won't fail for more than 3 points. I dare
say you might if you get into double figures.
Back in 198mumble I was given a five point turn in my driving test
(nobody could have got round there in three !)
Nick
I'm pretty sure my driving instructor, back in 1976, said "turn around
in the round using forward and reverse gears" rather than 3 point turn.
I think my instructor called it a three-point turn, but said that the
examiner would use some phrase such as that. She also said that it
wasn't called a three point turn because one could use more than three
points.
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
MJ
to me what you really mean.
Joe Kerr
2017-02-21 22:44:24 UTC
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 20:48:04 +0000, Marmaduke Jinks
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
I'm pretty sure my driving instructor, back in 1976, said "turn around
in the round using forward and reverse gears" rather than 3 point turn.
MJ
So that would rule out giving it some wellie than grabbing the handbrake?
Ric.
John Ashby
2017-02-20 10:37:40 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".

jon
Anne B
2017-02-20 11:41:31 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
jon
Yes, in my day too. The phrase 'three-point turn' was not used in the
Highway Code IIRC.

Anne B
p***@never.here
2017-02-20 15:17:15 UTC
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:41:31 +0000, Anne B
Post by Anne B
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
jon
Yes, in my day too. The phrase 'three-point turn' was not used in the
Highway Code IIRC.
Anne B
According to the Wikipedia article on the "three-point turn"In the
country it has been "turn in the road" since 1991 at the latest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn#CITEREFDfT1991

I guess I'm just too far behind the times :-(
Pete
p***@never.here
2017-02-20 15:19:27 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
jon
Yes, in my day too. The phrase 'three-point turn' was not used in the
Highway Code IIRC.
Anne B
According to the Wikipedia article on the "three-point turn"In the
country it has been "turn in the road" since 1991 at the latest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn#CITEREFDfT1991
I guess I'm just too far behind the times :-(
I should have said "like Kenton I'm just....
Pete
Peter Percival
2017-02-20 15:30:03 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
Post by p***@never.here
I guess I'm just too far behind the times :-(
I should have said "like Kenton I'm just....
Stan's been dead many years.
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-20 15:38:59 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
jon
Yes, in my day too. The phrase 'three-point turn' was not used in the
Highway Code IIRC.
Anne B
According to the Wikipedia article on the "three-point turn"In the
country it has been "turn in the road" since 1991 at the latest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_turn#CITEREFDfT1991
I guess I'm just too far behind the times :-(
Nah, I expect they will continue to be called a 3 point turn[6] regardless
of what teenagers may declare.

[6]I'm quite good at them but usually *call* them 93 point turns.
Peter Percival
2017-02-20 15:26:15 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
That is what I recall. My instructor told me that it wasn't called a
three point turn because one could use more than three points. I also
recall having to balance the accelerator and clutch so that one didn't
roll down the camber of the road.
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-21 19:42:07 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
That is what I recall. My instructor told me that it wasn't called a
three point turn because one could use more than three points. I also
recall having to balance the accelerator and clutch so that one didn't
roll down the camber of the road.
I find the phrase "three point turn" to be inadequate because there are
never three points. If you imagine the car creating a line on the road
as it goes, that line will always have an even number of points. In the
perfect turn, there will be one point where you go into reverse, and
another when you go forward again. This line will then move away roughly
parallel to the incoming line. In narrower roads the number of points
will be greater, but it is always an even number.

---
Peter Percival
2017-02-21 20:10:14 UTC
I find the phrase "three point turn" to be inadequate because there are
never three points. If you imagine the car creating a line on the road
as it goes, that line will always have an even number of points. In the
perfect turn, there will be one point where you go into reverse, and
another when you go forward again. This line will then move away roughly
parallel to the incoming line. In narrower roads the number of points
will be greater, but it is always an even number.
Maybe something like this is envisaged:
http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Curves/Tricuspoid.html. But that
would require either approaching or leaving on the wrong side of the
road. I don't know if a not-joining-up-at-one-cusp-tricuspoid has a name.
to me what you really mean.
2017-02-21 22:44:46 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
An odd number is required or you end up facing the original way.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
carolet
2017-02-22 13:22:40 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
The parity of the number of points determines whether you are going
forwards or backwards, not whether you end up going down the road in the
same direction or not. It would be quite possible to do an x-point turn,
go through 360 degrees and continue down the road in the same direction
that you started.

---
2017-02-22 13:41:45 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by John Ashby
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
In which case there would be an even number of points. But that is not
what the instructor requires - you are requested to turn in the road
with the implication that you will head in the direction from which you
have just come.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
BrritSki
2017-02-22 17:28:31 UTC
An odd number is required or you end up facing the original way.
The parity of the number of points determines whether you are going
forwards or backwards, not whether you end up going down the road in
the same direction or not. It would be quite possible to do an x-point
turn, go through 360 degrees and continue down the road in the same
direction that you started.
In which case there would be an even number of points. But that is not
what the instructor requires - you are requested to turn in the road
with the implication that you will head in the direction from which you
have just come.
It depends how wide the road is. From parked I drive forward and turn so
that I am at right angles to the opposite kerb. Then I reverse straight
back so I am still at right angles to the original kerb.

If the road is wide enough, I can now drive forward on full lock and
either go back the way I came or continue in the original direction.
Penny
2017-02-21 22:48:08 UTC
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 19:42:07 +0000, carolet <***@btinternet.com>
I find the phrase "three point turn" to be inadequate because there are
never three points. If you imagine the car creating a line on the road
as it goes, that line will always have an even number of points. In the
perfect turn, there will be one point where you go into reverse, and
another when you go forward again.
What about the point at which you stopped before commencing the turn?
2017-02-21 23:40:12 UTC
I find the phrase "three point turn" to be inadequate because there are
never three points. If you imagine the car creating a line on the road
as it goes, that line will always have an even number of points. In the
perfect turn, there will be one point where you go into reverse, and
another when you go forward again.
What about the point at which you stopped before commencing the turn?
You are stopped. The instruction is then given so the points are
counted from restarting. Always odd.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Peter Percival
2017-02-22 00:02:17 UTC
I find the phrase "three point turn" to be inadequate because there are
never three points. If you imagine the car creating a line on the road
as it goes, that line will always have an even number of points. In the
perfect turn, there will be one point where you go into reverse, and
another when you go forward again.
What about the point at which you stopped before commencing the turn?
You are stopped. The instruction is then given so the points are
counted from restarting. Always odd.
What's a point? It seems that the start and end positions count as one
though they won't coincide unless one starts or ends on the wrong side
of the road. It seems the positions near the kerbs count separately.
So counted thus, it does come to an odd number. But why (he innocently
enquired) do the start and end positions count as one?

If you draw a picture (would that I could do so in ascii!) you will get
a curve that crosses itself. If that crossing point counts as one point
and the cusps each count as one, then I think "three-point turn" is
justified. As well as the tricuspoid part, the curve has two tails -
the coming and going parts of the route - they are to be ignored.
to me what you really mean.
p***@never.here
2017-02-21 10:51:31 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
In last Thursday's episode when Kenton is taking Freddie out for a
driving lesson he asks him to do a three point turn. Freddie replied
sayiing "they don't call it that any more"
What do they call it now?
Even in my day they called it "Turning in the road using forward and
reverse gears".
jon
Like "turning in the road" that's not an expression I can remember
ever hearing of as an alternative to "3 point turn"

Although, to be honest, I can't remember what my driving instructor
and subsequent examiner called it.
--
Pete