Hilda bloody Ogden
2017-08-28 18:21:22 UTC
So HO doesn't like loud sounds; an exercise for the techrats then..... how
many milliseconds of annoyance would HO have to to endure were a twelve
bore pointed in her direction when fired from, shall we say 3 metres? I
believe the pellets might leave the muzzle at a fair proportion of the
speed of sound but not the same speed.
2017-08-29 01:06:55 UTC
So HO doesn't like loud sounds; an exercise for the techrats then.....
how many milliseconds of annoyance would HO have to to endure were a
twelve bore pointed in her direction when fired from, shall we say 3
metres? I believe the pellets might leave the muzzle at a fair
proportion of the speed of sound but not the same speed.
At approx. 850 mph (muzzle velocity - given the estimates I have found on
t'internet) HO would be annoyed for approx. 0.1 secs.

However, this doesn't take into account the amount of time that she would
be intrigued by the detonation [1] flash.

HTH

[1] I know it's not a 'detonation' but an 'explosion' - due to the
combustion speed through the material - in case any real pedants show up.
Nick Odell
2017-08-29 20:04:32 UTC
So HO doesn't like loud sounds; an exercise for the techrats then.....
how many milliseconds of annoyance would HO have to to endure were a
twelve bore pointed in her direction when fired from, shall we say 3
metres? I believe the pellets might leave the muzzle at a fair
proportion of the speed of sound but not the same speed.
At approx. 850 mph (muzzle velocity - given the estimates I have found on
t'internet) HO would be annoyed for approx. 0.1 secs.
However, this doesn't take into account the amount of time that she would
be intrigued by the detonation [1] flash.
I'll take your muzzle velocity as a given. With the speed of sound at
STP around 760mph (1125fps, 343mps etc, etc) I reckon our little Hilda
would hear the click but not the bang.

2017-08-29 23:39:17 UTC
So HO doesn't like loud sounds; an exercise for the techrats then.....
how many milliseconds of annoyance would HO have to to endure were a
twelve bore pointed in her direction when fired from, shall we say 3
metres? I believe the pellets might leave the muzzle at a fair
proportion of the speed of sound but not the same speed.
At approx. 850 mph (muzzle velocity - given the estimates I have found
on t'internet) HO would be annoyed for approx. 0.1 secs.
However, this doesn't take into account the amount of time that she
would be intrigued by the detonation [1] flash.
I'll take your muzzle velocity as a given. With the speed of sound at
STP around 760mph (1125fps, 343mps etc, etc) I reckon our little Hilda
would hear the click but not the bang.
That would be enough to annoy her :-)