Foolscap
2017-09-01 19:15:56 UTC
I've spent most of the last week round at Pa's house, trying to
declutter and make some sense of the stuff we want to keep.

In amongst the heaps of absolute and utter junk - which is going to
the tip at a steady rate - there have been some complete treasures.
The problem is that there are papers and photos stuffed inside books
and boxes, so everything has to be checked before it can be disposed
of.

On Wednesday, Bro & I carted a wardrobe downstairs to go to the tip.
It was the one from my bedroom (Bro's before mine) growing up, and has
serious memories. But Pa sawed it in half to get it out of the old
house, so it's not worth keeping. Once we'd moved the wardrobe, we
could then chuck the mattress and stand the bedframe up against the
wall to make more room.

Under the bed, along with the ammunition box with the slide projector
in!, were several file boxes. Most were full of OU units, which were
binned, but one was full of documents from Pa's time in the TA. They
are rather interesting, especially the one about the Subaltern's Ball
that Pa was in charge of organising. There are also a load of
movement orders and briefing notes for several years' camps and notes
from officers' training courses.

These are all on foolscap paper and I want to keep them. I can find
foolscap punched pockets on Amazon, but they are the cheapo ones you
get from office supply places. Yesterday I emailed one of the family
history supply places to ask if they sold archive grade foolscap
folders. I've just had an email back that said "The largest pocket we
do in the A4 size closes to follscap is PPC1 or USLET" (PPC1 = 298 x
222 mm, USLET = US letter). So that's a no, then.

It seems odd that a UK genealogy site should sell US size pockets, but
not a size for documents that would be prevalent in UK family history.

I'll just have to go for the bog standard ones.
2017-09-01 19:58:42 UTC
On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 20:15:56 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
These are all on foolscap paper and I want to keep them. I can find
foolscap punched pockets on Amazon, but they are the cheapo ones you
get from office supply places. Yesterday I emailed one of the family
history supply places to ask if they sold archive grade foolscap
folders. I've just had an email back that said "The largest pocket we
do in the A4 size closes to follscap is PPC1 or USLET" (PPC1 = 298 x
222 mm, USLET = US letter). So that's a no, then.
It seems odd that a UK genealogy site should sell US size pockets, but
not a size for documents that would be prevalent in UK family history.
I'll just have to go for the bog standard ones.
What constitutes, in your view, an archive grade file pocket? With my
(somewhat ancient) stationery supplier hat on I am not aware of different
grades but we may not have had customers who needed such things. What may
be available are books of relatively heavy duty clear pockets. This sort of
thing <https://goo.gl/3PG5rh>

Obviously a more expensive option but may well protect the documents better
than any loose-leaf solution.
2017-09-01 20:44:28 UTC
Post by Fenny
[...]
Polypropylene rather than PVC.
Post by Penny
Obviously a more expensive option but may well protect the documents better
than any loose-leaf solution.
The downside of display books is that unless you have mixed volumes,
there are rarely enough of one type of document to fill the book. At
least with single pockets, you can split things up more logically and
use dividers in a box file to separate different things.

I've found a few options, but the non standard sizing makes them more
expensive.
2017-09-01 21:58:27 UTC
On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 21:44:28 +0100, Fenny <***@removethis.onetel.net>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
The downside of display books is that unless you have mixed volumes,
there are rarely enough of one type of document to fill the book. At
least with single pockets, you can split things up more logically and
use dividers in a box file to separate different things.
I've found a few options, but the non standard sizing makes them more
expensive.
Indeed, I found these
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rexel-Opening-Pockets-Foolscap-Embossed/dp/B008I6U832>

If your going to store them in a box file rather than a ring binder maybe
open top and side slip files would work - these are cheap enough to try for
size (as it were) <https://goo.gl/65STja>
2017-09-01 22:08:54 UTC
If your going to store them in a box file rather than a ring binder maybe
open top and side slip files would work - these are cheap enough to try for
size (as it were) <https://goo.gl/65STja>
I mean the type of box file that has rings inside.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004P8J8JW/
2017-09-01 20:13:38 UTC
Post by Fenny
[...]
I checked the place I normally go to without success, but I did find this
on a search:
<https://www.secol.co.uk/products/pockets__covers__folders__and_sleeves/polyester_sleeves/standard_sleeves/75_micron_polyester_sleeves/468/s203330y75q/standard_sleeves_foolscap_folio>.
Worth looking into?
2017-09-01 21:11:52 UTC
I cannot answer the question so have snipped. But am interested in the
foolscap subject.

When exactly did A4 take over (at least in the UK). I have a feeling
some if not all of my university notes were not A4. (1972-5).

Can anyone tell me if any foolscap is available in the UK now?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Peter Percival
2017-09-01 21:21:43 UTC
Can anyone tell me if any foolscap is available in the UK now?
Yes bro, http://www.octopus-office.co.uk/foolscap-legal-paper/
to me what you really mean.
2017-09-01 22:13:20 UTC
On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 22:11:52 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I cannot answer the question so have snipped. But am interested in the
foolscap subject.
When exactly did A4 take over (at least in the UK). I have a feeling
some if not all of my university notes were not A4. (1972-5).
Um, we largely worked in A sizes when I was at college (a bit earlier than
that) but foolscap was certainly still in regular use then. Publishers
still use all manner of imperial sizes.
Post by krw
Can anyone tell me if any foolscap is available in the UK now?
You can still get reams of foolscap copier but don't expect to find a shop
which has it in stock, they can probably order some in.

Any place that stocks and cuts paper could cut you some but as they
probably get it in as an 'A' size there will be wastage which you will pay
for.

http://www.octopus-office.co.uk/foolscap-legal-paper/ have a good range of
foolscap paper but nothing 'ruled' as far as I can see. I grew up with a
seemingly endless supply of ruled double foolscap at my disposal - it was
lovely smooth stuff to write on with an ink pen and the lines were
turquoise. Knowing my father he'd probably acquired a job lot cheap
somewhere.
2017-09-01 22:24:38 UTC
I grew up with a
seemingly endless supply of ruled double foolscap at my disposal - it was
lovely smooth stuff to write on with an ink pen and the lines were
turquoise. Knowing my father he'd probably acquired a job lot cheap
somewhere.
Pa brought home a ream of pale blue copier paper that someone had
spilled banda ink down the corner of. I used it for my homework when
I was doing my A level retakes. I could always tell when my homework
was top of the teacher's pile.
2017-09-01 23:17:07 UTC
Post by Fenny
Pa brought home a ream of pale blue copier paper that someone had
spilled banda ink down the corner of. I used it for my homework when
I was doing my A level retakes. I could always tell when my homework
was top of the teacher's pile.
I assisted in the layout of new headed notepaper when I worked for a
District Council in Norfolk. When the first boxful (5000 sheets?) came
up from the in-house printers they weren't quite right (a minor
mis-alignment, if I recall). I was allowed to take the boxful home (in
2 or 3 batches because of the weight!) and have been using it ever since
(for about 20 years!), either (with printed top) for scrap or
(decapitated) for letters, etc.
2017-09-02 07:45:39 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'll just have to go for the bog standard ones.
I've got a heap of about 25-30 Snopake Polyfile Foolscap Popper Wallets
(similar to
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snopake-11154X-Polyfile-Foolscap-Classic/dp/B000SHR8DC>)
which I'd be happy to send you, if they'd be helpful.

If you'd like them, email me (my address is valid) and I'll get them in
the post to you.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a
purpose. (Garrison Keillor)