Happy friends Cafe / Duxford sisters
2017-07-21 10:15:02 UTC
I am wondering how many holes I can find in this story
a) Brian says the location is tatty. Before a high class restaurant
moves in it will need a complete refit - this will take months
b) Brian already has an invitation to the opening so date must be fixed
c) The lease is up in a month - so the HF people knew it was coming to
an end and should have been looking for a new location months ago
d) They have been offered a site out of town - when nearly every high
street I walk along has empty units
e) The out of town unit is very dirty and will take ages to clean up -
so why does that not apply to the new Duxford restaurant?
f) Any new HF location will need catering equipment - freezers, fridges,
ovens etc - where is the money coming from?
g) Why are the Duxfords known to generate waste - good chefs buy what
they need and control portions and output carefully "sorry it's off"
h) What will protesting outside the Duxfords place achieve?
i) Who is talking to the press and local radio?
j) Why are the local producers not all talking the Duxfords into buying
their products - Jill and Kirsty can sell them honey and David can
deliver beef and lamb, Adam venison and strawberries, Helen cheese and
organic everything, Josh can sell his pastured eggs? Jill's reaction to
this business opportunity is unbelievable.

Anything I have missed?
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Penny
2017-07-21 10:47:28 UTC
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:15:02 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I am wondering how many holes I can find in this story
a) Brian says the location is tatty. Before a high class restaurant
moves in it will need a complete refit - this will take months
--8<--
Post by krw
e) The out of town unit is very dirty and will take ages to clean up -
so why does that not apply to the new Duxford restaurant?
Anything I have missed?
The difference between a tatty location and dirty premises.
The elasticity of the term 'ages'.
2017-07-21 11:09:39 UTC
[...]
Yes, Jill is sounding obsessed.
Or possessed :(
Marjorie
2017-07-21 13:49:52 UTC
[...]
Another obvious opportunity: once someone with some common sense finds
new premises for the Happy Cafe, they could approach the Duxfords and
ask them whether they'd like to donate their surplus food to it. This
would not, of course, work if confrontation had been stirred up by the
likes of Jill and Kirsty shouting and waving banners outside the
(presumable empty) premises next week.

Oh, and has Jill looked into the amount of food wasted at the catering
outlets run by her family at the Bull and Lower Loxley? Or at Grey
Gables, where she seems happy to have lunch?
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Fenny
2017-07-21 17:20:41 UTC
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:49:52 +0100, Marjorie
Post by Marjorie
Another obvious opportunity: once someone with some common sense finds
new premises for the Happy Cafe, they could approach the Duxfords and
ask them whether they'd like to donate their surplus food to it. This
would not, of course, work if confrontation had been stirred up by the
likes of Jill and Kirsty shouting and waving banners outside the
(presumable empty) premises next week.
Oh, and has Jill looked into the amount of food wasted at the catering
outlets run by her family at the Bull and Lower Loxley? Or at Grey
Gables, where she seems happy to have lunch?
Yes, I'd thought of these.

Seriously, Jill is getting far too het up over all of this and it's
another of those annoying storylines that makes me wonder exactly who
is thinking them up and whether they are trying a) to be trendy to
attract new listeners and/or b) get the boring old farts to turn off
2017-07-21 18:37:31 UTC
In message
Post by Fenny
attract new listeners and/or b) get the boring old farts to turn off
Umrafarts?
Does it?
LOL!

Just seen a Dyslexic Yorkshireman wearing a cat flap!
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-21 18:35:43 UTC
In message <cMCdncRGccMcm-***@brightview.co.uk>, Marjorie
<***@springequinox.co.uk> writes:
[]
Post by Marjorie
Another obvious opportunity: once someone with some common sense finds
new premises for the Happy Cafe, they could approach the Duxfords and
ask them whether they'd like to donate their surplus food to it. This
would not, of course, work if confrontation had been stirred up by the
likes of Jill and Kirsty shouting and waving banners outside the
(presumable empty) premises next week.
Very good point. Of course, the Duxfords could, if they dare, even state
they are going to give their waste to the HC even _after_ such protests;
if the HCers _then_ turned it down, they'd look _really_ silly.
Post by Marjorie
Oh, and has Jill looked into the amount of food wasted at the catering
outlets run by her family at the Bull and Lower Loxley? Or at Grey
Gables, where she seems happy to have lunch?
Good points. Though I suspect not much - as anotherrat has pointed out,
most catering establishments _do_ monitor such things quite closely
("orf dear").

Just seen a Dyslexic Yorkshireman wearing a cat flap!
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-07-21 18:32:29 UTC
I am wondering how many holes I can find in this story
a) Brian says the location is tatty. Before a high class restaurant
moves in it will need a complete refit - this will take months
Time is very elastic in TA.
Post by krw
b) Brian already has an invitation to the opening so date must be fixed
c) The lease is up in a month - so the HF people knew it was coming to
an end and should have been looking for a new location months ago
Good point.
Post by krw
d) They have been offered a site out of town - when nearly every high
street I walk along has empty units
To be fair, I suspect those I/C such units might be more reluctant to
let a HC use them than other candidates (some charities, some cheap
stores). Such cafes [they believe; I'm not saying it is so, but they
only have to believe it] attract, I don't know, criminals and drugs.
Post by krw
e) The out of town unit is very dirty and will take ages to clean up -
so why does that not apply to the new Duxford restaurant?
Different amounts of money available?
Post by krw
g) Why are the Duxfords known to generate waste - good chefs buy what
they need and control portions and output carefully "sorry it's off"
Well, it has been stated, and not challenged. Presumably a hatchet piece
in some paper (or even a website/blog/similar); I agree it needs looking
into (though of course won't be).
Post by krw
h) What will protesting outside the Duxfords place achieve?
Make those protesting (and maybe some SWs?) feel better. _Possibly_
attract media attention (which can turn both ways!).
Post by krw
i) Who is talking to the press and local radio?
Nobody so far. But I remember local radio featuring in something not too
long ago, with the reporter even becoming quite well known to those
involved ... was it the e coli? I think it _did_ cover that, but I think
I'm thinking of something else.
Post by krw
j) Why are the local producers not all talking the Duxfords into buying
their products - Jill and Kirsty can sell them honey and David can
deliver beef and lamb, Adam venison and strawberries, Helen cheese and
organic everything, Josh can sell his pastured eggs? Jill's reaction
All very good points!

Btms
2017-07-21 21:46:53 UTC
[...]
TA is a FOTWD, but the signal is being transmitted from microphones
located in a parallel universe where things are vaguely similar to here
on Earth, but there are also many important differences.

The divergence between the two universes increases and accelerates as
time passes.
Sam
steveski
2017-07-22 00:11:08 UTC
[...]
YAHughBonnevilleAICMFP
2017-07-22 08:59:37 UTC
Anything I have missed?
Yes.
TA is a FOTWD, but the signal is being transmitted from microphones
located in a parallel universe where things are vaguely similar to here
on Earth, but there are also many important differences.
The divergence between the two universes increases and accelerates as
time passes.
YAHughBonnevilleAICMFP
Swerve
Umra film club
We watched Hugh Bonneville last night in Paddington, together with a
host of excellent actors, including Dr Who, in Paddington. We both
really enjoyed it. It was a very good version of the story. I
particularly loved mum, who I don't think I've seen before, and the
children were good too.
2017-07-22 10:03:20 UTC
Post by Vicky
Anything I have missed?
Yes.
TA is a FOTWD, but the signal is being transmitted from microphones
located in a parallel universe where things are vaguely similar to here
on Earth, but there are also many important differences.
The divergence between the two universes increases and accelerates as
time passes.
YAHughBonnevilleAICMFP
Swerve
Umra film club
We watched Hugh Bonneville last night in Paddington, together with a
host of excellent actors, including Dr Who, in Paddington. We both
really enjoyed it. It was a very good version of the story. I
particularly loved mum, who I don't think I've seen before, and the
children were good too.
Dr. who in Darkest Peru?
2017-07-22 13:13:17 UTC
Post by Vicky
Anything I have missed?
Yes.
TA is a FOTWD, but the signal is being transmitted from microphones
located in a parallel universe where things are vaguely similar to here
on Earth, but there are also many important differences.
The divergence between the two universes increases and accelerates as
time passes.
YAHughBonnevilleAICMFP
Swerve
Umra film club
We watched Hugh Bonneville last night in Paddington, together with a
host of excellent actors, including Dr Who, in Paddington. We both
really enjoyed it. It was a very good version of the story. I
particularly loved mum, who I don't think I've seen before, and the
children were good too.
According to a contact of mine in a parallel universe the second film
coming soon is even better.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
Fenny
2017-07-22 16:09:12 UTC
Post by Vicky
Umra film club
We watched Hugh Bonneville last night in Paddington, together with a
host of excellent actors, including Dr Who, in Paddington. We both
really enjoyed it. It was a very good version of the story. I
particularly loved mum, who I don't think I've seen before, and the
children were good too.
It is an excellent movie with a lot of jokes aimed at the adult end of
the audience. I'm very much looking forward to Paddington 2 later
this year.
2017-07-22 16:17:33 UTC
Post by Vicky
Swerve
Umra film club
We watched Hugh Bonneville last night in Paddington, together with a
host of excellent actors, including Dr Who, in Paddington. We both
really enjoyed it. It was a very good version of the story. I
particularly loved mum, who I don't think I've seen before, and the
children were good too.
In seeking out the name of Mrs Brown's bf, I noticed that there is a
"Paddington 2" due out in November.
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2017-07-22 05:15:33 UTC
*Date:* Fri, 21 Jul 2017 11:15:02 +0100
I am wondering how many holes I can find in this story
a) Brian says the location is tatty. Before a high class
restaurant moves in it will need a complete refit - this will take
months
Probably just three or four weeks. All the planning and contracting will
have been done already so the builders/decorators can move in as soon as
they get vacant possession. May be easier since a "restaurant" is already
using the premises (I assume a drop in cafe still has to abide by local
authority catering rules for hygiene and so on).
b) Brian already has an invitation to the opening so date must be fixed
Yup, the refurbishment contracts are already let so they know exactly when
they will open. Getting the publicity out as soon as possible is the best
idea.
c) The lease is up in a month - so the HF people knew it was coming
to an end and should have been looking for a new location months ago
They have been which is why they already know where they're moving to. The
HF people know they move on a regular basis so will just take this in
their stride. They cannot have been in this location for long (we only
just heard about them - hmmm).
d) They have been offered a site out of town - when nearly every
high street I walk along has empty units
Units in town won't necessarily be suitable. May not be licensed for
catering (and change of use can take a very long time). May need too much
refurbishment to comply with safety and hygiene rules and allocation of
space for food stock, cooking etc. The owners may be unwilling to let to
such an outfit preferring charity shops or just leave empty.
e) The out of town unit is very dirty and will take ages to clean
up - so why does that not apply to the new Duxford restaurant?
It won't need as much cleaning up since it is already a "restaurant".
f) Any new HF location will need catering equipment - freezers,
fridges, ovens etc - where is the money coming from?
I expect the HF have their own units and will simply move them from where
they are to their new premises. If they have any sense they'll be putting
the moving costs aside as they go so they are prepared for it.
g) Why are the Duxfords known to generate waste - good chefs buy
what they need and control portions and output carefully "sorry
it's off"
That is an interesting point. No well-run restaurant wants lots of waste,
it is a waste of money as well. Whilst that's possibly covered by their
excessive prices it still isn't good business practice. If they are known
to be creating large amounts of waste, they must already have a thriving
restaurant somewhere else so it's not a new start-up, so why are they
opening in a tatty little hole that Brian describes?

"Sorry it's off" doesn't cut it in a top class restaurant, it annoys the
customers, they're paying huge amounts and expect to get what they want.
Anything I have missed?
Steph.
Btms
2017-07-22 06:24:14 UTC
Snipped for brevity
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Post by krw
g) Why are the Duxfords known to generate waste - good chefs buy
what they need and control portions and output carefully "sorry
it's off"
That is an interesting point. No well-run restaurant wants lots of waste,
it is a waste of money as well. Whilst that's possibly covered by their
excessive prices it still isn't good business practice. If they are known
to be creating large amounts of waste, they must already have a thriving
restaurant somewhere else so it's not a new start-up, so why are they
opening in a tatty little hole that Brian describes?
"Sorry it's off" doesn't cut it in a top class restaurant, it annoys the
customers, they're paying huge amounts and expect to get what they want.
Post by krw
Anything I have missed?
Steph.
Quite a lot according to Steph.
2017-07-22 13:17:00 UTC
On 22/07/2017 06:15,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
Yup, the refurbishment contracts are already let so they know exactly when
they will open
Building contracts go wrong regularly. Even on Lils bathroom Philip the
builder would not commit to a finish date.

Very risky to have people coming when you have never previously cooked
on the site, had the staff running to and from the kitchen carrying
plates, opening bottles, etc. Even getting the wine stocks in and
getting used to the way the ovens work takes time.

They would run for at least two or more weeks before the grand opening
even if they knew when the builders would finish. the press would be
invited for testing previews etc. Sorry just don't buy it.
tiny.cc/KRWpics
krw
2017-07-22 13:20:08 UTC
On 22/07/2017 06:15,
Post by n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
They have been which is why they already know where they're moving to. The
HF people know they move on a regular basis so will just take this in
their stride. They cannot have been in this location for long (we only
just heard about them - hmmm).
If they had been looking then they would have found something more
suitable than an out of town site. I agree change of use might be
needed - but round here judging by the number of catering concerns it is
granted rapidly. Three pizza outlets, one indian take away all appeared
out of nowhere.
tiny.cc/KRWpics