Irony smiley
Jane Vernon
2017-05-17 19:41:01 UTC
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation

No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
--
Jane
BTME

2017-05-17 20:33:37 UTC
On Wed, 17 May 2017 20:41:01 +0100, Jane Vernon
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
??? - that'll be a no then :(
2017-05-17 21:00:03 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
⸮ It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
Every life should have nine cats. (Anon)
Penny
2017-05-17 21:10:53 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
? It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
When I picked one up and pasted it into my post it looked just like a ?
2017-05-17 21:20:22 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
? It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
When I picked one up and pasted it into my post it looked just like a ?
When I did that, until it left here, the first "?" was a reversed one.
When it came back to TB, it was a normal "?".
Try to make your home a place of loving friendship and enjoyment, where
all who live or visit may find the peace and refreshment of God's
presence. (Quaker Advices and Queries #26)
Sally Thompson
2017-05-17 22:24:34 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
⸮ It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
It works for me! Where did you find it?
Jane Vernon
2017-05-19 07:39:08 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
⸮ It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
It looks as it should! Where did you get it?
--
Jane
BTME

2017-05-19 07:58:17 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
⸮ It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
It looks as it should! Where did you get it?
snoitseuq, snoitseuQ
2017-05-19 09:20:31 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
? It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
It looks as it should! Where did you get it?
I imagine Serena copied and pasted it from the linked article, as I did.
Both show as ordinary ? here.
2017-05-19 11:58:43 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
But does it work here?
? It seems to, but who knows what it will look like when it arrives?
It looks as it should! Where did you get it?
I imagine Serena copied and pasted it from the linked article, as I did.
Both show as ordinary ? here.
...and I presume the only reason it shows as a question mark in any
orientation is that the ? is used to represent an unprintable
character.

2017-05-17 20:32:09 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
Coo, who knew! But umra will just have to continue with occasional sense
of humour absences.

🤥
Jane Vernon
2017-05-19 07:38:40 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
Coo, who knew! But umra will just have to continue with occasional sense
of humour absences.
🤥
Were you employing an irony smiley there? Many of your posts are
decorated with little square boxes which have no meaning at this end :(
--
Jane
BTME

2017-05-19 07:58:56 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
Coo, who knew! But umra will just have to continue with occasional sense
of humour absences.
🤥
Were you employing an irony smiley there? Many of your posts are
decorated with little square boxes which have no meaning at this end :(
Apparently, if you receive messages on old software, they can't read the
graphic. This is a face with a lonf nose' which hope suggests my comment
should not be taken too seriously.
2017-05-19 20:08:59 UTC
In message
Post by Btms
Post by Jane Vernon
Post by Btms
Post by Jane Vernon
Apparently there is one!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony_punctuation
No wonder we have never been able to spot it on umra, though, as I don't
think any UK keyboard is fitted with one.
You can (in Windows) generate a lot of characters your keyboard hasn't
got, especially if you have a keyboard wide enough to have a numeric pad
at the right (i. e. any standard one, but not some laptop/netbook ones):
you hold down the Alt key, type the code for the character (must be on
the numeric pad, and num lock must be on), and when you release the alt
key, the character will appear. To find the codes, run Character Map
(it's under accessories, or just Start | Run | type "charmap"), and _for
the ones where a code exists_, it shows you in the bottom right corner
what it is (for example, for the Spanish open-question-mark, it's
telling me it's "Alt+0191"). Or, get and install AllChars
(http://allchars.zwolnet.com/) which is easier IMO, and works even if
you _haven't_ got a numeric keypad. BUT ...
Post by Btms
?
Were you employing an irony smiley there? Many of your posts are
decorated with little square boxes which have no meaning at this end :(
Apparently, if you receive messages on old software, they can't read the
graphic. This is a face with a lonf nose' which hope suggests my comment
should not be taken too seriously.
... it's not just old software: there are parts of the internet through
which your character may pass that will break it is it isn't part of
standard ASCII. (For example: in the above, after "lonf nose" above, I
see an apostrophe; whether that's my old software or because the message
has passed through an arcane part, or both, I don't know.

There are _roughly_ three classes of characters:
1. Standard ASCII, which pass through everything (note - the pound sign
is _not_ one of those);
2. "Extended ASCII", which is the next 128 characters (the ones that do
have an "Alt code" as described above) - these include most
accented/umlauted characters and some common symbols, which pass through
quite a lot of things OK - for example e acute é, o umlaut ö, mu (or
micro) μ, the pound sign £, plus-or-minus ±, degrees °, and so on; and
3. all the rest. These _sometimes_ come through as the sender sees them,
sometimes as a square or other "unknown character" character (when
that's the case, it's usually old software rather than corruption on the
way to you), or sometimes converted into characters representing its
hexadecimal code (%AE, A$255, and similar), or occasionally they just
get swallowed altogether and don't appear as anything.

So to be sure your intention gets through unscathed, it's best to only
use smileys (or emoticons, or whatever you want to call them) made from
standard punctuation, such as :-), :-(, :-| ["|" _is_ part of standard
ASCII], and so on. Some systems recognise these sequences (though not
usually the left-handed versions!) and convert them to right-way-up
yellow smileys; it's best when this is only done in the sender's screen
(or on receipt) rather than changing what's sent, though. [In other
words: you type ( - : (without the spaces); this changes to a smiley _on
your screen_, but what is sent still remains the three characters; then
it might be converted on the reader's screen too. (I realised that if
you have such software, you would wonder what I was on about if I didn't
put the spaces in!)]

For this star a "night on the tiles" means winning at Scrabble - Kathy Lette
(on Kylie), RT 2014/1/11-17
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-05-19 20:17:41 UTC
In message <***@soft255.demon.co.uk>, "J. P. Gilliver
(John)" <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> writes:
... it's not just old software: there are parts of the internet through
which your character may pass that will break it is it isn't part of
standard ASCII.
[]
... IF it isn't.

Fortunately radio is a forgiving medium. It hides a multitude of chins ...
Vanessa feltz, RT 2014-3/28-4/4
Chris J Dixon
2017-05-20 07:17:03 UTC
2. "Extended ASCII", which is the next 128 characters (the ones that do
have an "Alt code" as described above) - these include most
accented/umlauted characters and some common symbols, which pass through
quite a lot of things OK - for example e acute é, o umlaut ö, mu (or
micro) ?, the pound sign £, plus-or-minus ±, degrees °, and so on
No mu received here, yet I can write one µ. ¿

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-05-20 08:17:23 UTC
On Sat, 20 May 2017 08:17:03 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
2. "Extended ASCII", which is the next 128 characters (the ones that do
have an "Alt code" as described above) - these include most
accented/umlauted characters and some common symbols, which pass through
quite a lot of things OK - for example e acute é, o umlaut ö, mu (or
micro) ?, the pound sign £, plus-or-minus ±, degrees °, and so on
No mu received here, yet I can write one µ. ¿
I got no mu from John either but can see yours (as well as the Spanish ¿).
2017-05-20 11:08:55 UTC
2. "Extended ASCII", which is the next 128 characters (the ones that do
have an "Alt code" as described above) - these include most
accented/umlauted characters and some common symbols, which pass through
quite a lot of things OK - for example e acute é, o umlaut ö, mu (or
micro) ?, the pound sign £, plus-or-minus ±, degrees °, and so on
No mu received here, yet I can write one μ. ¿
I got no mu from John either but can see yours (as well as the Spanish ¿).
Ditto
Ditto: in your quotes of my post, my original mu appears as ?, but yours
as mu, and I see Penny's thorn both originally and when quoted by Fenny.

So even the "extended ASCII" set isn't uniformly treated. Let's see:

standard ASCII, 32 (space) to 126:
!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefg
hijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
128 Euro "€", 132 Gänzefußchen "„", 133 ellipsis "…", 134 dagger
and 135 double dagger "†‡", 140/156 OE/oe Œ/œ, 145 to 148 angled
single and double quotes ‘’“”, 153 trademark ™, 160 no break
space " ", 161/191 Spanish !/? "¡/¿", 162-165 cents pounds currency
yen ¢£¤¥, 169 copyright ©, 171/187 French quotes ‹/›, 174
Registered ®, 176 degrees °, 177 +/- ±, 178/179 squared/cubed ²/³,
181 micro/mu μ, 186 for making number abbreviation "º", 188 to 190
fractions ¼½¾, 192-197/224-226 modified "A/a"
ÀÁÂÃÄÅ/àáâãäå, 198/230 AE/ae Æ/æ, 199/231 C/c with cedilla
Ç/ç, 200-203/232-235 modified "E/e" ÈÉÊË/èééë, 204-207/236-239
modified "I/i" ÌÍÎÏ/ìíîï, 208/240 eth Ðð, 209/241 N/n~ Ñ/ñ,
210-214/242-246 modified "O/o" ÒÓÔÕÖ/òóôõö, 215 times/by ×,
216/248 O/o with / Ø/ø, 217-220/249-252 modified "U/u"
ÙÚÛÜ/ùúûü, 222/254 thorn Þþ, 223 German double s ß, 247
divided by ÷, 159/221/253/255 modified "Y/y" ÝŸýÿ.
(Phew, that took a lot longer than I expected, even leaving out ones I
didn't think would be commonly used among UMRAts!)

Veni Vidi Visa [I came, I saw, I did a little shopping] - Mik from S+AS Limited
(***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
John Ashby
2017-05-20 11:39:56 UTC
[...]
I'm not familiar with the G\" anzefu\ss chen (ASCII 132). How is it used?

2017-05-20 11:58:35 UTC
In message <ofp9o2$neh$***@dont-email.me>, John Ashby
<***@yahoo.com> writes:
128 Euro "€", 132 Gänzefußchen "„", 133 ellipsis "…", 134 dagger and
I'm not familiar with the G\" anzefu\ss chen (ASCII 132). How is it used?
[]
Quotation marks in German. Interesting how such variations have
survived! English - "like this"; French - ‹comme ça›, German -
„so”. (The word, in the charmingly literal way German has, means
"little goose feet".) [There's also the single variant (which _is_ there
in extended ASCII, at 130), presumably so you can quote within quotes as
we do with "" and ''.]

Illinc fui et illud feci, habe tunicam?
Mike
2017-05-20 12:34:13 UTC
128 Euro "€", 132 Gänzefußchen "„", 133 ellipsis "…", 134 dagger and
I'm not familiar with the G\" anzefu\ss chen (ASCII 132). How is it used?
[]
Quotation marks in German. Interesting how such variations have
survived! English - "like this"; French - ‹comme ça›, German -
„so”. (The word, in the charmingly literal way German has, means
"little goose feet".) [There's also the single variant (which _is_ there
in extended ASCII, at 130), presumably so you can quote within quotes as
we do with "" and ''.]
Oh Hello, is this the meeting of the ASCII 132 Geek's Committee?😉😳😳
2017-05-20 12:26:23 UTC
[...]
It's easy for you to say that....😉😳
2017-05-20 13:29:59 UTC
On Sat, 20 May 2017 12:08:55 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
hijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
128 Euro "€", 132 Gänzefußchen "„", 133 ellipsis "…", 134 dagger
and 135 double dagger "†‡", 140/156 OE/oe Œ/œ, 145 to 148 angled
single and double quotes ‘’“”, 153 trademark ™, 160 no break
space " ", 161/191 Spanish !/? "¡/¿", 162-165 cents pounds currency
yen ¢£¤¥, 169 copyright ©, 171/187 French quotes ‹/›, 174
Registered ®, 176 degrees °, 177 +/- ±, 178/179 squared/cubed ²/³,
181 micro/mu ?, 186 for making number abbreviation "º", 188 to 190
fractions ¼½¾, 192-197/224-226 modified "A/a"
ÀÁÂÃÄÅ/àáâãäå, 198/230 AE/ae Æ/æ, 199/231 C/c with cedilla
Ç/ç, 200-203/232-235 modified "E/e" ÈÉÊË/èééë, 204-207/236-239
modified "I/i" ÌÍÎÏ/ìíîï, 208/240 eth Ðð, 209/241 N/n~ Ñ/ñ,
210-214/242-246 modified "O/o" ÒÓÔÕÖ/òóôõö, 215 times/by ×,
216/248 O/o with / Ø/ø, 217-220/249-252 modified "U/u"
ÙÚÛÜ/ùúûü, 222/254 thorn Þþ, 223 German double s ß, 247
divided by ÷, 159/221/253/255 modified "Y/y" ݟýÿ.
(Phew, that took a lot longer than I expected, even leaving out ones I
didn't think would be commonly used among UMRAts!)
I think the only one I'm missing here is the mu.

I'm slightly confused by your alt numbers because I can't get a Þ without
using a leading zero, Alt+222 gives Ì.

We have a lot of trouble with the different character sets displaying
differently in various parts of the website on Geograph. Folk will
confidently type in tags with all the proper accents in various flavours of
gaelic and they get scrambled (and thereby unsearchable) by 'the system'.
Our tech guy is about to do a course on the subject.

One of the weirdest side effects is anything with an ö in it (mostly
Scandiwegian* ships) turns up in my searches for unmatched square brackets.

*my spell check thinks that should be Scandawegian - I think I taught it
wrong
2017-05-20 13:58:02 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
[To Mike's earlier comment "that's easy for you to say", no it wasn't:
it took 20-30 minutes, with CharMap, Extended Character Map, and
AllChars! (The last - from http://allchars.zwolnet.com/ - I generally
find the most useful.)]
Post by Penny
I think the only one I'm missing here is the mu.
I'm slightly confused by your alt numbers because I can't get a Þ without
using a leading zero, Alt+222 gives Ì.
Yes, all the above need a leading zero to be used as shown - I don't
know why, as they're decimal values. As you've found, _not_ using a
leading zero does also generate characters, but how those map to the
others I don't know. However, I do know Alt-230 (no leading 0) gives me
a mu, on keyboards that have a numeric pad. [I'm not going to try the
_simulated_ numeric pad on here - last time I did, I almost lost the
will to live.]
Post by Penny
We have a lot of trouble with the different character sets displaying
differently in various parts of the website on Geograph. Folk will
confidently type in tags with all the proper accents in various flavours of
gaelic and they get scrambled (and thereby unsearchable) by 'the system'.
Our tech guy is about to do a course on the subject.
I guess the simplest option would be to make it so that folk can search
for, say, a modified o by just entering a plain o. (With the _possible_
exception of umlauted letters needing to be replaced by a following e,
which is permissible in German - but unfortunately not a lot of
non-Germans seem to know that, and it probably doesn't apply outside
German anyway, and you wouldn't want to make a different rule for German
and non-German.)
Post by Penny
One of the weirdest side effects is anything with an ö in it (mostly
Scandiwegian* ships) turns up in my searches for unmatched square brackets.
Weird indeed! (And why are you searching for unmatched square brackets:
to tidy something up?)
Post by Penny
*my spell check thinks that should be Scandawegian - I think I taught it
wrong
Now you've got the fun of finding out where it keeps its dictionary, and
how to edit it! I use the "add to dictionary" button very sparingly
because of that: only when I'm very sure I want to add, and it's right.

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)
Penny
2017-05-20 19:53:51 UTC
On Sat, 20 May 2017 14:58:02 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I think the only one I'm missing here is the mu.
I'm slightly confused by your alt numbers because I can't get a Þ without
using a leading zero, Alt+222 gives Ì.
Yes, all the above need a leading zero to be used as shown - I don't
know why, as they're decimal values. As you've found, _not_ using a
leading zero does also generate characters, but how those map to the
others I don't know. However, I do know Alt-230 (no leading 0) gives me
a mu, on keyboards that have a numeric pad.
<gives that a go>
Ooo, it worked - will it survive the posting?
We have a lot of trouble with the different character sets displaying
differently in various parts of the website on Geograph. Folk will
confidently type in tags with all the proper accents in various flavours of
gaelic and they get scrambled (and thereby unsearchable) by 'the system'.
Our tech guy is about to do a course on the subject.
I guess the simplest option would be to make it so that folk can search
for, say, a modified o by just entering a plain o.
I think some form of that solution was used in the early days to get the
accents to _display_ properly on the main pages - but they're still not
searchable.
One of the weirdest side effects is anything with an ö in it (mostly
Scandiwegian* ships) turns up in my searches for unmatched square brackets.
to tidy something up?)
That is mostly what I do, correct typos, square brackets in particular are
used a lot to link to other images so if they don't match you get something
like [[[12345]] showing up instead of the intended {NN2544 : Coire Toaig}
*my spell check thinks that should be Scandawegian - I think I taught it
wrong
Now you've got the fun of finding out where it keeps its dictionary, and
how to edit it! I use the "add to dictionary" button very sparingly
because of that: only when I'm very sure I want to add, and it's right.
It's held within the program in Agent and not too hard to edit in Spelling
Options.

I have added many words (especially place names) to the dictionary in the
wonderful but ancient version of Opera I use on my (failing) XP machine and
it's very easy to edit the list. I am disgusted with the spell check on the
latest version of Opera (now based upon Chrome) I have installed on the
Win10 PC. It makes ridiculously few sensible suggestions (not even 'look'
for 'lok') and you have to click into every text box to get the errors to
display. Not what I need for typo-spotting on Geograph :(
2017-05-22 06:59:04 UTC
it took 20-30 minutes, with CharMap, Extended Character Map, and
AllChars! (The last - from http://allchars.zwolnet.com/ - I generally
find the most useful.)]
Why didn't you simply use the Alt codes, or is there something
subtle about the implementation that I am forgetting? »¿«

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-05-22 07:13:26 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
it took 20-30 minutes, with CharMap, Extended Character Map, and
AllChars! (The last - from http://allchars.zwolnet.com/ - I generally
find the most useful.)]
Why didn't you simply use the Alt codes, or is there something
subtle about the implementation that I am forgetting? ›¿‹
Chris
Because I'm typing on a keyboard that doesn't have a numeric pad. (OK,
it has a pseudo-one, on the 890uiopjkl;m./ keys. The odd time I've tried
to use that, I almost lost the will to live. I've found AllChars an
excellent solution to that, to the extent that when I now use a keyboard
that _does_ have a numpad [such as at work], I still miss AllChars.)

- often six furlongs ahead of the field, but on the wrong racecourse. - Colin
Dexter on (his creation the character) Morse; Radio Times 12-18 May 2012.
Chris J Dixon
2017-05-22 08:39:12 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
it took 20-30 minutes, with CharMap, Extended Character Map, and
AllChars! (The last - from http://allchars.zwolnet.com/ - I generally
find the most useful.)]
Why didn't you simply use the Alt codes, or is there something
subtle about the implementation that I am forgetting? ›¿‹
Chris
Because I'm typing on a keyboard that doesn't have a numeric pad. (OK,
it has a pseudo-one, on the 890uiopjkl;m./ keys. The odd time I've tried
to use that, I almost lost the will to live. I've found AllChars an
excellent solution to that, to the extent that when I now use a keyboard
that _does_ have a numpad [such as at work], I still miss AllChars.)
Ah! Now I understand. I've just noticed that the French quotes
appear as single small angle brackets instead of the genuine
double brackets, yet are not UK angle brackets. so, «» cf <>

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-05-22 09:13:42 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I've just noticed that the French quotes
appear as single small angle brackets instead of the genuine
double brackets, yet are not UK angle brackets. so, «» cf <>
But only when JPG quoted in his reply. ?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2017-05-22 10:07:04 UTC
On Mon, 22 May 2017 10:13:42 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Chris J Dixon
I've just noticed that the French quotes
appear as single small angle brackets instead of the genuine
double brackets, yet are not UK angle brackets. so, «» cf <>
But only when JPG quoted in his reply. ?
Yes, they came through here OK.