Whence the community choir?
2017-08-06 19:31:30 UTC
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or
town, has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should
Morris/morris be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any
mention of this choir before - does anyrat?

We must, of course, ensure that we display no bias. The bias I worry about
most is the bias against understanding. - Nick Robinson, RT 2017/4/8-14
Btms
2017-08-06 19:56:35 UTC
Jpg wrote:

The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?

Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.

www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Marjorie
2017-08-09 13:16:30 UTC
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?
Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.
www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors says lower case.
--
Marjorie

To reply, replace dontusethisaddress with marje
Btms
2017-08-09 13:42:58 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?
Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.
www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors says lower case.
Makes sense but maybe some folk think it is part of their title and a
proper noun? I certainly wouldn't argue that what the village website
writes is grammatically correct but may be common practice among such
groups.
2017-08-09 14:40:16 UTC
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 13:42:58 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?
Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.
www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors says lower case.
Makes sense but maybe some folk think it is part of their title and a
proper noun? I certainly wouldn't argue that what the village website
writes is grammatically correct but may be common practice among such
groups.
Sometimes it *is* part of their name so then you get - come and see the
morris dancing by The Loose Women and Bishop Gundulf's Morris :)
2017-08-09 18:39:34 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?
Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.
www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors says lower case.
Interesting; thanks.
Makes sense but maybe some folk think it is part of their title and a
proper noun? I certainly wouldn't argue that what the village website
writes is grammatically correct but may be common practice among such
groups.
There is a creeping tendency to use leading capitals more and more -
I've noticed it over the last couple of decades or so; I think Microsoft
are partly to blame. People tend to use it because it's rarer for
someone (such as me) to challenge its use than for lack of
capitalisation to be challenged. My background makes me wonder if
there's also a slight German influence, though I think that's unlikely
in reality (I've even heard that there are some moves to move away from
it in German, though I suspect they're minor).

There is also a slight tendency I've noticed in the last year or five to
use capitalisation where previously quotation marks would have been
used.
Post by Penny
Sometimes it *is* part of their name so then you get - come and see the
morris dancing by The Loose Women and Bishop Gundulf's Morris :)
Of course, if it is part of the name, it _is_ to be capitalised.

"I am entitled to my own opinion."
"Yes, but it's your constant assumption that everyone else is also that's so
annoying." - Vila & Avon
Chris McMillan
2017-08-09 16:42:28 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?
Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.
www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors says lower case.
Makes sense but maybe some folk think it is part of their title and a
proper noun? I certainly wouldn't argue that what the village website
writes is grammatically correct but may be common practice among such
groups.
Where's m/Morris dancing/accompanying Ally when you need her!?

2017-08-09 19:12:14 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or town,
has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should Morris/morris
be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any mention of this
choir before - does anyrat?
Our village group seem to think upper case. Check here.
www.garstongallopers.co.uk
Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors says lower case.
Makes sense but maybe some folk think it is part of their title and a
proper noun? I certainly wouldn't argue that what the village website
writes is grammatically correct but may be common practice among such
groups.
Having checked with two of my local sides, I see that both Wickham
Morris and King John's Morris use the same convention as the Garston
Gallopers, capitalising Morris but not necessarily the noun which
follows it.

<http://www.wickham-morris.org.uk/>
<http://kingjohnsmorris.org/about/default.html>
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in
your garage makes you a car.
Marjorie
2017-08-11 12:45:41 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
[...]
Yes, it makes sense to capitalise it if it's part of the name of a dance
side, just as you would if you were writing about the Royal Ballet, but
in running text (e.g. about the history of morris dancing) it is not
normally capitalised.

Btms
2017-08-11 13:43:43 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
[...]
And the Garston Gallopers do not have Morris as part of their title but as
I showed they use upper case. I think this is probably common though not
correct.
2017-08-11 14:21:32 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Post by Marjorie
Post by Btms
[...]
That would be my preference too but, if you look at both websites I
cited, as well as BTMS's original reference, they don't only use the
capital as part of proper names. For example, Wickham Morris describe
themselves as "... a Morris side based at Wickham in Hampshire".

As all three sides cited use the same convention, I suspect it's a
fairly widely used one.
Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what
happens to you. (Aldous Huxley)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2017-08-11 18:44:51 UTC
Post by Marjorie
Yes, it makes sense to capitalise it if it's part of the name of a
dance side, just as you would if you were writing about the Royal
Ballet, but in running text (e.g. about the history of morris
dancing) it is not normally capitalised.
That would be my preference too but, if you look at both websites I
cited, as well as BTMS's original reference, they don't only use the
capital as part of proper names. For example, Wickham Morris describe
themselves as "... a Morris side based at Wickham in Hampshire".
As all three sides cited use the same convention, I suspect it's a
fairly widely used one.
I guess it depends on what the origin of the term is: if it's called
after someone called Morris (or other spelling), then arguably it
requires a capital; if it's from an old word, it doesn't.

Who is Art, and why does life imitate him?
Penny
2017-08-11 19:08:49 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 19:44:51 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Marjorie
Yes, it makes sense to capitalise it if it's part of the name of a
dance side, just as you would if you were writing about the Royal
Ballet, but in running text (e.g. about the history of morris
dancing) it is not normally capitalised.
That would be my preference too but, if you look at both websites I
cited, as well as BTMS's original reference, they don't only use the
capital as part of proper names. For example, Wickham Morris describe
themselves as "... a Morris side based at Wickham in Hampshire".
As all three sides cited use the same convention, I suspect it's a
fairly widely used one.
I guess it depends on what the origin of the term is: if it's called
after someone called Morris (or other spelling), then arguably it
requires a capital; if it's from an old word, it doesn't.
If the origin is 'Moorish' then a cap is reasonable. Wikipedia say "The
term entered English via Flemish mooriske danse. Comparable terms in other
languages are German Moriskentanz (also from the 15th century), French
morisques, Croatian moreška, and moresco, moresca or morisca in Italy and
Spain. The modern spelling Morris-dance first appears in the 17th century."
2017-08-12 00:07:12 UTC
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:08:49 +0100, Penny wrote:

If the origin is 'Moorish' then a cap is reasonable.
Wot, one of those Musselman jobbies?
Steveski (Avoiding Netherlandish things).
Penny
2017-08-07 00:22:21 UTC
On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 20:31:30 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or
town, has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should
Morris/morris be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any
mention of this choir before - does anyrat?
Nope - it must be what all the silent characters do in their spare time -
we never usually hear them in the Bull.

There has been a big increase in the formation of non-religeous,
non-classical choirs in recent years since that Gareth Malone started
encouraging them all over the place.
2017-08-08 22:16:36 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or
town, has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should
Morris/morris be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any
mention of this choir before - does anyrat?
Nope - it must be what all the silent characters do in their spare time -
we never usually hear them in the Bull.
There has been a big increase in the formation of non-religeous,
non-classical choirs in recent years since that Gareth Malone started
encouraging them all over the place.
The choir isn't necessarily from Ambridge. My neighbour has joined
our local community choir and they have been doing events all over the
place in the last few weeks. Last week was the Braunston festival,
but they've done a few places further afield. IIRC, they've only been
going about 12 months. I first heard them at the town Lantern
Festival in December.

And why shouldn't all 3 of the groups perform at the fete. I assume
it's going to go on for a fair bit of the afternoon, so there's no
reason why each group can't do 20 minutes or so. None of them are
likely to go on for the whole several hours.
2017-08-09 15:30:47 UTC
The silver band, which I think comas from a neighbouring village or
town, has been mentioned before. Likewise, the Morris side. (Should
Morris/morris be capitalised?) However, I don't remember hearing any
mention of this choir before - does anyrat?
Hollerton Silver Band - George was a member.

Borchester Voices is new I think. Probably a nod to the efforts of
Gareth Malone.
tiny.cc/KRWpics