Discussion:
its doing my head uin!
(too old to reply)
Btms
2018-07-30 20:12:41 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
Those we have loved.
Kate B
2018-07-30 22:23:26 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 30/07/2018 21:12, Btms wrote:
> All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
> Those we have loved.
>
>
>
Our own Nice Mr Fairbairns is still with us! As far as I know, anyway.
And we still love him.

--
Kate B
London
Btms
2018-07-31 06:27:59 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30/07/2018 21:12, Btms wrote:
>> All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
>> Those we have loved.
>>
>>
>>
> Our own Nice Mr Fairbairns is still with us! As far as I know, anyway.
> And we still love him.
>

But he gas left us and our hearts bleed.

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
BrritSki
2018-07-31 06:55:03 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 31/07/2018 08:27, Btms wrote:
> Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 30/07/2018 21:12, Btms wrote:
>>> All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
>>> Those we have loved.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Our own Nice Mr Fairbairns is still with us! As far as I know, anyway.
>> And we still love him.
>>
>
> But he gas left us and our hearts bleed.
>
I've always thought it rather amusing that a Cambridge Computer Science
genius is allegedly unable to configure usenet on his own computer.

Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first place
or had very little to do at work other than visit here.

I may be AOU in this case :/
Mike
2018-07-31 08:08:21 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31/07/2018 08:27, Btms wrote:
>> Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 30/07/2018 21:12, Btms wrote:
>>>> All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
>>>> Those we have loved.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Our own Nice Mr Fairbairns is still with us! As far as I know, anyway.
>>> And we still love him.
>>>
>>
>> But he gas left us and our hearts bleed.
>>
> I've always thought it rather amusing that a Cambridge Computer Science
> genius is allegedly unable to configure usenet on his own computer.
>
> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first place
> or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>
> I may be AOU in this case :/
>

Robin very much cared for UMRA and when time was at his disposal would go
to no ends to help anyrat if he could. Severe illness prevents him from
participation these days - I’m sure that he would very much be with us on a
daily basis.

--
Toodle Pip
BrritSki
2018-07-31 12:23:30 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 31/07/2018 10:08, Mike wrote:
> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 31/07/2018 08:27, Btms wrote:
>>> Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>> On 30/07/2018 21:12, Btms wrote:
>>>>> All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
>>>>> Those we have loved.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Our own Nice Mr Fairbairns is still with us! As far as I know, anyway.
>>>> And we still love him.
>>>>
>>>
>>> But he gas left us and our hearts bleed.
>>>
>> I've always thought it rather amusing that a Cambridge Computer Science
>> genius is allegedly unable to configure usenet on his own computer.
>>
>> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first place
>> or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>>
>> I may be AOU in this case :/
>>
>
> Robin very much cared for UMRA and when time was at his disposal would go
> to no ends to help anyrat if he could. Severe illness prevents him from
> participation these days - I’m sure that he would very much be with us on a
> daily basis.
>
I'm very sorry to hear he is ill, but he was not immediately after he
retired when he claimed not to be able to set usenet up on his personal
confuser, or for some time after when they bought a dog to get some more
exercise iirc, so I stand by my original statements.
RC Mitchell
2018-07-31 08:58:34 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> writes:

> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first
> place or had very little to do at work other than visit here.

Robin is built into the foundations. He's part of the Umra creation
mythos.

Rosàlainn nic Theàrach
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-31 10:26:35 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:58:34 +0100, RC Mitchell
<***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

>BrritSki <***@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first
>> place or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>
>Robin is built into the foundations. He's part of the Umra creation
>mythos.
>
>Rosàlainn nic Theàrach

He and Linda were local to us when we were in the Cambridge area and
Mike is right that Robin, and also Linda, are very kind and lovely
people, and as you say, Rosie, that beard makes Robin seem rather
magical.
LFS
2018-07-31 11:02:09 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 31/07/2018 11:26, Vicky Ayech wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:58:34 +0100, RC Mitchell
> <***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first
>>> place or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>>
>> Robin is built into the foundations. He's part of the Umra creation
>> mythos.
>>
>> Rosàlainn nic Theàrach
>
> He and Linda were local to us when we were in the Cambridge area and
> Mike is right that Robin, and also Linda, are very kind and lovely
> people, and as you say, Rosie, that beard makes Robin seem rather
> magical.
>

The first time I met the Fairbairns we had a wonderful boozy evening at
the Hotel du Vin where I was staying when I was in Cambridge for work. I
wish I could remember the name of the wine we drank, it was very good
indeed. I wish I still had a project and a research grant that would
take me to Cambridge, although travelling there from Oxford is a
horrible journey, however you go.

--
Laura (emulate St George for email)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-31 19:51:58 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
<***@gmail.com> writes:
>On 31/07/2018 11:26, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:58:34 +0100, RC Mitchell
>> <***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>>
>>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first
>>>> place or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>>>
>>> Robin is built into the foundations. He's part of the Umra creation
>>> mythos.
>>>
>>> Rosàlainn nic Theàrach
>> He and Linda were local to us when we were in the Cambridge area and
>> Mike is right that Robin, and also Linda, are very kind and lovely
>> people, and as you say, Rosie, that beard makes Robin seem rather
>> magical.
>>
I think I only met him at the BBQs, but he struck me as nice - and a
Great Brain too, the beard certainly lending an element of guru-ness
(and envy; I've never managed to get mine to grow half as well).

And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
[]
>indeed. I wish I still had a project and a research grant that would
>take me to Cambridge, although travelling there from Oxford is a
>horrible journey, however you go.
>
{OT KF-by-proxy: my brother found that journey worthwhile for a few
times over the last few months - his old uni (he went to C. for his main
degree - a first in Maths IIRR) decided his recent book was something
they'd give him a doctorate for. (So their little house in Oxford is now
even more stereotypically Oxford academic - little old house, walls full
of books and classical music [and they run the Oxford Bach Choir], now
lived in by two [academic] doctors.)}

Is TNMF's disability permanent and declining, or is there any hope of
recovery?
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Of course some of it [television] is bad. But some of everything is bad -
books, music, family ... - Melvyn Bragg, RT 2017/7/1-7
Btms
2018-07-31 20:00:08 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 31/07/2018 11:26, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:58:34 +0100, RC Mitchell
>>> <***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>>>
>>>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>
>>>>> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first
>>>>> place or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>>>>
>>>> Robin is built into the foundations. He's part of the Umra creation
>>>> mythos.
[]
Was Robin the founder of umra in some way?

I miss Sebastien.
>>>
> I think I only met him at the BBQs, but he struck me as nice - and a
> Great Brain too, the beard certainly lending an element of guru-ness
> (and envy; I've never managed to get mine to grow half as well).
>
> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)

[]
>
> Is TNMF's disability permanent and declining, or is there any hope of
> recovery?

Thanks for asking. I couldn’t find the right words.

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-07-31 20:07:58 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
In message
<993383615.554759769.081377.poppy-***@news.eternal-september.o
rg>, Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> writes:
>J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
>> <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>> On 31/07/2018 11:26, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>>>> On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 09:58:34 +0100, RC Mitchell
>>>> <***@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> writes:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Shows that he either didn't care too much about umra in the first
>>>>>> place or had very little to do at work other than visit here.
>>>>>
>>>>> Robin is built into the foundations. He's part of the Umra creation
>>>>> mythos.
>[]
>Was Robin the founder of umra in some way?

I think he may have had a hand in its creation.
>
>I miss Sebastien.

Me too: he was always helpful where he could be on computer matters, and
that rare gift of being able to explain things in a way his audience
could understand, without talking down to us. But not just for his
computer help - he seemed a nice guy, too, whether agreeing with one or
not.
[]
>> Is TNMF's disability permanent and declining, or is there any hope of
>> recovery?
>
>Thanks for asking. I couldn’t find the right words.
>
YW.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)***@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
RC Mitchell
2018-07-31 23:05:00 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)

This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
significant night almost 19 years ago.

Rosàlainn nic Theàrach
BrritSki
2018-08-01 12:35:07 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On 01/08/2018 01:05, RC Mitchell wrote:
>> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
>> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
>
> This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
> the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
> significant night almost 19 years ago.
>
But they were originally an item at Millfield were they not ?
Chris McMillan
2018-08-01 12:54:47 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/08/2018 01:05, RC Mitchell wrote:
>>> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
>>> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
>>
>> This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
>> the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
>> significant night almost 19 years ago.
>>
> But they were originally an item at Millfield were they not ?
>
>
>
>

In modern parlance, yes.

Sincerely Chris
Btms
2018-08-01 17:44:23 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/08/2018 01:05, RC Mitchell wrote:
>>> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
>>> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
>>
>> This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
>> the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
>> significant night almost 19 years ago.
>>
> But they were originally an item at Millfield were they not ?
>
>
>
>

Now you remind me, yes I think so.

--
BTMS - Equine Advisor Extraordinaire.
Mike
2018-08-01 18:00:31 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/08/2018 01:05, RC Mitchell wrote:
>>>> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
>>>> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
>>>
>>> This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
>>> the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
>>> significant night almost 19 years ago.
>>>
>> But they were originally an item at Millfield were they not ?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> Now you remind me, yes I think so.
>

LFF’s father was a music teacher there.

--
Toodle Pip
Chris McMillan
2018-08-02 13:09:44 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 01/08/2018 01:05, RC Mitchell wrote:
>>>>> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
>>>>> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
>>>>
>>>> This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
>>>> the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
>>>> significant night almost 19 years ago.
>>>>
>>> But they were originally an item at Millfield were they not ?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Now you remind me, yes I think so.
>>
>
> LFF’s father was a music teacher there.
>

And girls were included in the sixth form years

Sincerely Chris
Peter Percival
2018-08-02 13:15:55 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Chris McMillan wrote:
> Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Btms <***@thetames.me.uk> wrote:
>>> BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> On 01/08/2018 01:05, RC Mitchell wrote:
>>>>>> And I think we were all very pleased for them when he and Linda got
>>>>>> together. (They might even have been the first UMRA pairing.)
>>>>>
>>>>> This was one of the subjects of an animated conversation over dinner at
>>>>> the Falstaff Bar in Brussels, between myself and a Mr C Hankel on a
>>>>> significant night almost 19 years ago.
>>>>>
>>>> But they were originally an item at Millfield were they not ?

"to succeed by grinding"

>>> Now you remind me, yes I think so.
>>>
>>
>> LFF’s father was a music teacher there.
>>
>
> And girls were included in the sixth form years
>
> Sincerely Chris
>
Chris McMillan
2018-07-31 11:06:18 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30/07/2018 21:12, Btms wrote:
>> All this talk of Robin Fairbrother is read by my brain as Robin Fairbairns.
>> Those we have loved.
>>
>>
>>
> Our own Nice Mr Fairbairns is still with us! As far as I know, anyway.
> And we still love him.
>

Sadly, Robin can’t post any more. He’s not well.

Sincerely Chris
Loading...