Very quiet
2018-06-02 06:47:23 UTC
Was it something I said?

2018-06-02 06:57:49 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Was it something I said?

Or maybe something no-one said?

Paul Herber
2018-06-02 08:59:42 UTC
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 06:57:49 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Was it something I said?
>>

>Or maybe something no-one said?

Or maybe nothing nobody didn't say! Or maybe not.

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Btms
2018-06-02 07:07:27 UTC
Sid Nuncius <***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Was it something I said?

Well I have been in the Highlands of Scotland and now in Eire/NI. The wifi
connection has been flakey. My pearls of wisdom are limited but normal
service will be restored shortly. Also, access to Ambridge is limited.

kosmo
2018-06-02 15:17:22 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 07:07:27 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
wrote:
> Well I have been in the Highlands of Scotland and now in Eire/NI.
The wifi

And I am at the airport & the free WiFi will not work with umra.

Kosmo
BrritSki
2018-06-02 07:54:47 UTC
On 02/06/2018 08:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:
> Was it something I said?

We've been baby-sitting in Bedford and now everyone is stunned by the
news reported in many papers today that...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Rob is coming back !!!!
Serena Blanchflower
2018-06-02 08:09:51 UTC
On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 08:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> Was it something I said?
>>
> We've been baby-sitting in Bedford and now everyone is stunned by the
> news reported in many papers today that...
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
>
> Rob is coming back !!!!

Excellent news! We definitely needed a break from the story but it
wouldn't be realistic for him to simply fade away, never to be seen, or
heard of, again.

I did a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words.
Mike
2018-06-02 09:35:37 UTC
Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 02/06/2018 08:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>>> Was it something I said?
>>>
>> We've been baby-sitting in Bedford and now everyone is stunned by the
>> news reported in many papers today that...
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>>
>> Rob is coming back !!!!
>
> Excellent news! We definitely needed a break from the story but it
> wouldn't be realistic for him to simply fade away, never to be seen, or
> heard of, again.

‘Twould have been good though.

2018-06-02 13:07:43 UTC
In message <JxtQC.898565$***@fx14.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>Serena Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>>>
>>> We've been baby-sitting in Bedford and now everyone is stunned by the
>>> news reported in many papers today that...
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> p
>>> o
>>> i
>>> l
>>> e
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> p
>>> o
>>> i
>>> l
>>> e
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>> ..
>>>
>>> Rob is coming back !!!!
>>
>> Excellent news! We definitely needed a break from the story but it
>> wouldn't be realistic for him to simply fade away, never to be seen, or
>> heard of, again.
>>

>‘Twould have been good though.

+1. I'd willingly suspend realism never to encounter him again. Or Matt.

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-02 10:13:33 UTC

Oh dear. I might want a break too, from TA.
krw
2018-06-02 08:32:06 UTC
On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote; my response is lower down:
> Rob is coming back

Which desperate editor is sinking that low? Temporary or the new permanent.

Given the disservice done to Shula and various other cracks in the
firmament I will listen but no longer be entranced.

2018-06-02 08:35:12 UTC
On 02/06/2018 09:32, krw wrote; my response is lower down:
> On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Rob is coming back
>
> Which desperate editor is sinking that low?  Temporary or the new
> permanent.
>
> Given the disservice done to Shula and various other cracks in the
> firmament I will listen but no longer be entranced.

Having read the Telegraph I can see that Tim Stimpson is angling for
more work (it was his storyline originally so we know who to blame). It
was as a result of comments made during a discussion at the Hay Festival.

Equally important the temporary editor said that if she has her way
no-one will die on the 70th anniversary.

2018-06-02 12:04:10 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 09:32:06 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Rob is coming back
>
>Which desperate editor is sinking that low? Temporary or the new permanent.
>
>Given the disservice done to Shula and various other cracks in the
>firmament I will listen but no longer be entranced.

I'm just glad I've already stopped listening.

Ma emailed the other night to ask what umra thought of all the current
storylines.
2018-06-02 13:56:26 UTC
Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 09:32:06 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote; my response is lower down:
>>> Rob is coming back
>>
>> Which desperate editor is sinking that low? Temporary or the new permanent.
>>
>> Given the disservice done to Shula and various other cracks in the
>> firmament I will listen but no longer be entranced.
>
> I'm just glad I've already stopped listening.
>
> Ma emailed the other night to ask what umra thought of all the current
> storylines.

That’s nice of her, Fenny. Let’s see. Shula and Snappy - very realistic
(I personally know several 60 somethings going through marriage break ups)
Christine Cardboard, that can’t be another dementia story
Will - I can relate to some of it - having had a bereaved father (though I
was a lot older, the care and coping element angst would have been similar
to Poppy I learnt later with hindsight). Plus The older two.
If I didn’t know about the ‘smart drugs’ thing as portrayed with Freddie,
I’d have said it wasn’t realistic - but it is.
And, yes, Lils and her teacher isn’t a new phenomenon: one of my
schoolfriends lives with the fallout of a similar relationship. She would
have been the twins age.
If the contamination is done properly, it could be good
Susan, a caricature. Very silly, it doesn’t work today as it did with
Martha.
David organising Ruth’s party. Beyond stupid when he has three children
and a born organising mother.
Bored by Hannah already. Or is she being introduced as a BL storyline with
Kneel? Is this one reason for return of Rob?

That’s enough from me.

2018-06-02 16:20:19 UTC
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 13:56:26 GMT, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>And, yes, Lils and her teacher isn’t a new phenomenon: one of my
>schoolfriends lives with the fallout of a similar relationship. She would
>have been the twins age.

Not a new phenomenon, but if he is the Assistant Principal of a
college these days, he must know he'll never work in education again
once it comes out. And he'll be on a hefty salary, so he'll have to
find a new employer who doesn't care that he's broken some fairly
hefty code of conduct rules with his current employer.
2018-06-02 18:13:39 UTC
Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 13:56:26 GMT, Chris McMillan
> <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> And, yes, Lils and her teacher isn’t a new phenomenon: one of my
>> schoolfriends lives with the fallout of a similar relationship. She would
>> have been the twins age.
>
> Not a new phenomenon, but if he is the Assistant Principal of a
> college these days, he must know he'll never work in education again
> once it comes out. And he'll be on a hefty salary, so he'll have to
> find a new employer who doesn't care that he's broken some fairly
> hefty code of conduct rules with his current employer.

‘Xactly!

(My OP is though, he’s stringing her along and will drop her as soon as she
finishes college - or even a re-run of Lizzie and Simon Pemberton (it was
him wasn’t it, and the then abortion)?

2018-06-02 20:44:13 UTC
Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 13:56:26 GMT, Chris McMillan
>> <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And, yes, Lils and her teacher isn’t a new phenomenon: one of my
>>> schoolfriends lives with the fallout of a similar relationship. She would
>>> have been the twins age.
>>
>> Not a new phenomenon, but if he is the Assistant Principal of a
>> college these days, he must know he'll never work in education again
>> once it comes out. And he'll be on a hefty salary, so he'll have to
>> find a new employer who doesn't care that he's broken some fairly
>> hefty code of conduct rules with his current employer.
>
> ‘Xactly!
>
> (My OP is though, he’s stringing her along and will drop her as soon as she
> finishes college - or even a re-run of Lizzie and Simon Pemberton (it was
> him wasn’t it, and the then abortion)?

Perhaps his wife will turn up at some college function, obviously pregnant.

2018-06-02 21:02:15 UTC
On 02/06/2018 21:44, Sally Thompson wrote:
> Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not a new phenomenon, but if he is the Assistant Principal of a
>>> college these days, he must know he'll never work in education again
>>> once it comes out. And he'll be on a hefty salary, so he'll have to
>>> find a new employer who doesn't care that he's broken some fairly
>>> hefty code of conduct rules with his current employer.
>>
>> ‘Xactly!
>>
>> (My OP is though, he’s stringing her along and will drop her as soon as she
>> finishes college - or even a re-run of Lizzie and Simon Pemberton (it was
>> him wasn’t it, and the then abortion)?
>>

> Perhaps his wife will turn up at some college function, obviously pregnant.

And, of course, he will have told Lily that he is no longer on those
sort of terms with her.

A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up. (Mae West)
LFS
2018-06-02 21:53:54 UTC
On 02/06/2018 22:02, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 21:44, Sally Thompson wrote:
>> Chris McMillan <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>> ‘Xactly!
>>>
>>> (My OP is though, he’s stringing her along and will drop her as soon
>>> as she
>>> finishes college - or even a re-run of Lizzie and Simon Pemberton (it
>>> was
>>> him wasn’t it, and the then abortion)?
>>>

>> Perhaps his wife will turn up at some college function, obviously
>> pregnant.
>>

> And, of course, he will have told Lily that he is no longer on those
> sort of terms with her.

It's all rather predictable. An interesting plot twist would be if he
really does turn out to be committed to Lily and they make a go of the
relationship but that would have to play out over a long time and get
very boring. And as Fenny points out these days the scandal would ruin
his career and make it very difficult for him to find other employment
so there would be a lot of practical problems.

Unless of course he ditches Lily, hooks up with Elizabeth who makes him
manager of her empire, which then prompts Lily and Freddie to conspire
to murder him. TA could do with some blood and guts although it's a
challenge for radio. Corrie was chock full of gore this week, EE was
last week although it was managed rather better.

2018-06-03 02:13:15 UTC
On 02-Jun-18 22:53, LFS wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 22:02, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

>>> Perhaps his wife will turn up at some college function, obviously
>>> pregnant.
>>>

>> And, of course, he will have told Lily that he is no longer on those
>> sort of terms with her.
>>

> It's all rather predictable. An interesting plot twist would be if he
> really does turn out to be committed to Lily and they make a go of the
> relationship but that would have to play out over a long time and get
> very boring. And as Fenny points out these days the scandal would ruin
> his career and make it very difficult for him to find other employment
> so there would be a lot of practical problems.
>
> Unless of course he ditches Lily, hooks up with Elizabeth who makes him
> manager of her empire, which then prompts Lily and Freddie to conspire
> to murder him. TA could do with some blood and guts although it's a
> challenge for radio. Corrie was chock full of gore this week, EE was
> last week although it was managed rather better.

Not radical enough.
Ménage à trois with _both_ Lily & Lizzy?

2018-06-03 05:50:11 UTC
In message <***@brightview.co.uk>, Sam
Plusnet <***@home.com> writes:
>On 02-Jun-18 22:53, LFS wrote:
[]
>> It's all rather predictable. An interesting plot twist would be if
>>he really does turn out to be committed to Lily and they make a go of
>>the relationship but that would have to play out over a long time and
>>get very boring. And as Fenny points out these days the scandal would
>>ruin his career and make it very difficult for him to find other
>>employment so there would be a lot of practical problems.
>> Unless of course he ditches Lily, hooks up with Elizabeth who makes
>>him manager of her empire, which then prompts Lily and Freddie to
>>conspire to murder him. TA could do with some blood and guts although
>>it's a challenge for radio. Corrie was chock full of gore this week,
>>EE was last week although it was managed rather better.
>>
>Not radical enough.
>Ménage à trois with _both_ Lily & Lizzy?

If you want radical, à quatre with Lily, Lizzie, and Freddie.

If this power [television] is ever brought to mechanical perfection, there is
little reason, except the desire to be gregarious, that anyone but a few
should go in person to any place of entertainment again. - BBC yearbook 1930
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-03 07:54:04 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:53:54 +0100, LFS <***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Unless of course he ditches Lily, hooks up with Elizabeth who makes him
>manager of her empire, which then prompts Lily and Freddie to conspire
>to murder him. TA could do with some blood and guts although it's a
>challenge for radio. Corrie was chock full of gore this week, EE was
>last week although it was managed rather better.

I really wish you hadn't put that idea into the minds of any LSWs.
There is another important TA date coming up I believe. 70th? They
will want to make a splash and I would prefer it not to be blood.
Although..there are a few residents of Ambridge....
Rosemary Miskin
2018-06-03 09:32:33 UTC
Vicky wrote:

>I really wish you hadn't put that idea into the minds of any LSWs.
>There is another important TA date coming up I believe. 70th? They
>will want to make a splash and I would prefer it not to be blood.

Whoever was speaking at Hay last week is quoted as saying that they .
wouldn't kill someone off for the 70th anniversary. We'll see!

Rosemary
Mike
2018-06-03 10:31:18 UTC
Rosemary Miskin <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vicky wrote:
>
>> I really wish you hadn't put that idea into the minds of any LSWs.
>> There is another important TA date coming up I believe. 70th? They
>> will want to make a splash and I would prefer it not to be blood.
>
> Whoever was speaking at Hay last week is quoted as saying that they .
> wouldn't kill someone off for the 70th anniversary. We'll see!
>
> Rosemary

Perhaps the Saint has a disabling illness and is confined to a wheelchair;
Snappy then devotes his life to caring for her?

agsmith578688@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury
2018-06-04 19:58:35 UTC

Ah, Hay. I occasionally go there for the bookshops. A dreadfully slow road but the shops are always interesting, though I seldom find anything I want.
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-04 22:11:01 UTC
On 04/06/18 20:58, ***@gmail.com Tony Smith Prestbury wrote:
> Ah, Hay.

Bless you.

Dreadful this time of year isn't it.
kosmo
2018-06-03 20:16:11 UTC
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 18:13:39 GMT, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> (My OP is though, hes stringing her along and will drop her as
soon as she
> finishes college - or even a re-run of Lizzie and Simon Pemberton
(it was

Not Simon Pemberton, he was nasty. It was the crook.

Kosmo
John Finlay
2018-06-03 21:13:17 UTC

Cameron Fraser?
Sally Thompson
2018-06-03 21:31:50 UTC
John Finlay <***@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/06/2018 21:16, kosmo wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 18:13:39 GMT, Chris McMillan
>> <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> (My OP is though, hes stringing her along and will drop her as
>> soon as she
>>> finishes college - or even a re-run of Lizzie and Simon Pemberton
>> (it was
>>
>> Not Simon Pemberton, he was nasty.  It was the crook.
>>

> Cameron Fraser?

Yes, Lizzie was Cameron Fraser. Debbie was Simon Pemberton.

2018-06-04 08:15:13 UTC

Was there one Bad Man who trifled with Lizzie and Debbie?
Serena Blanchflower
2018-06-04 11:45:36 UTC
On 04/06/2018 09:15, Vicky Ayech wrote:
> On 3 Jun 2018 21:31:50 GMT, Sally Thompson
> <***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> John Finlay <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Cameron Fraser?
>>>

>> Yes, Lizzie was Cameron Fraser. Debbie was Simon Pemberton.
>
> Was there one Bad Man who trifled with Lizzie and Debbie?

Simon Pemberton trifled with, and subsequently hit, both Shula and
Debbie. I don't remember him having anything to do with Lizzie though.

They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening', then proceed to tell
you why it isn't.
Chris McMillan
2018-06-04 17:51:35 UTC
Someone wrote:

The crook was Cameron Fraser. Simon Gerrard was involved with Shula.

Had to riffle through both Enc and TAE.

2018-06-02 17:06:33 UTC
<***@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Which desperate editor is sinking that low? Temporary or the new permanent.
>>>
>>> Given the disservice done to Shula and various other cracks in the
>>> firmament I will listen but no longer be entranced.
>>
>> I'm just glad I've already stopped listening.
>>
>> Ma emailed the other night to ask what umra thought of all the current
>> storylines.
>
>That’s nice of her, Fenny. Let’s see. Shula and Snappy - very realistic
> personally know several 60 somethings going through marriage break ups)
After Thursday, or was it Friday, I am wondering whether Shula is now
sorry and re-thinking it all. Dog in a manger but Snappy suddenly
enjoyed freedom. But is a nice chap so she reeeled him back in. I
think she was faking it. Might they get back together?

>Christine Cardboard, that can’t be another dementia story

Anoither place suggested Brian might have a heart attack and I wonder
whether we are being red herringed again with Christine. We put all
our money on her to be next in the St Step[hen Churchyard stakes and
it turns out to be Brian. Either a heart attack because of stress. and
with qa bit of luck he had lots of life insurance, or Jenny manages to
over-tax him with love and that finishes him off, or she helps things
along.

>Will - I can relate to some of it - having had a bereaved father (though I
>was a lot older, the care and coping element angst would have been similar
>to Poppy I learnt later with hindsight). Plus The older two.

Will has always been a little unstable. He was the one went off to top
himself OAIAM, and Ed and Eddie went to bring him home.

>If I didn’t know about the ‘smart drugs’ thing as portrayed with Freddie,
>I’d have said it wasn’t realistic - but it is.
>And, yes, Lils and her teacher isn’t a new phenomenon: one of my
>schoolfriends lives with the fallout of a similar relationship. She would
>have been the twins age.

I do hope Freddie passes his exams and is allowed to settle into
helping to run the estate and does some kind of management thing.

>If the contamination is done properly, it could be good
>Susan, a caricature. Very silly, it doesn’t work today as it did with
>Martha.

Was done rather stupidly, I agree. I liked when Snappy and Shula told
her off though.

>David organising Ruth’s party. Beyond stupid when he has three children
>and a born organising mother.

Yes, Jill will surely be annoyed.

>Bored by Hannah already. Or is she being introduced as a BL storyline with
>Kneel? Is this one reason for return of Rob?
I really hope he's not returning. I do not care about the employment
prospects of whoever writes this storyline or the actor. A report of
some fatal accident happening afar or him being locked up would be
close enough. I do not want to hear his voice again, and he was in
something else a little while ago and I hated him in that too but
umbrella what it was. B always laughs wehn i am influenced by what an
actor played before.

Swerve
I watched the BBC King Lear. I hadn't been going to as saw the Paul
Scofield version when we did it for A Level and I know it well and
don't usually like modern dress versions of Shakespeare, and love
Anthony Hopkins so didn't want to see him being miserable. Yes I know,
he's an actor :).

In this case he was fntastic, as was the whole production. His Lear
was a tinpot dictator, rowdy and already just tipping into the changed
behaviour of dementia, when he stayed with Goneril. I normally love
Emma wossit and she began as seeming reasonable and justifiably
annoyed at how her father was disrupting the household. There were
glances and nods between her and husband and Regan in the early
scenes, but mostly they seemed behaving in a way necessary given a
father who behaved like a dictator.

But then as the play went on things switched. I think Mr S milked the
misery rather by having Cordelia die. (sorry, spoiler). I generally
like happy endings and offing the ugly sisters would have been enough.
It's funny how the third one tends to be the one who gets the bad
deal. I'm thinking of Cinderella here. I wonder whether Lear would
have been less of a spoiled bully if the Queen had still been around.

The modern day dress worked extremely well too, to my surprise. There
were a couple of moments when I noticed planes or tablets and it
paused the story, but it worked well.

Vicky Ayech
2018-06-02 17:18:56 UTC
On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 18:06:33 +0100, Vicky Ayech
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 13:56:26 GMT, Chris McMillan
><***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 09:32:06 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

>>Bored by Hannah already. Or is she being introduced as a BL storyline with
>>Kneel? Is this one reason for return of Rob?
>I really hope he's not returning. I do not care about the employment
>prospects of whoever writes this storyline or the actor. A report of
>some fatal accident happening afar or him being locked up would be
>close enough. I do not want to hear his voice again, and he was in
>something else a little while ago and I hated him in that too but
>umbrella what it was. B always laughs wehn i am influenced by what an
>actor played before.

Oh in the Cormorant Strike tv series. He was horrible in it too.
Especially if you'd read the books.
LFS
2018-06-02 17:33:56 UTC
On 02/06/2018 18:06, Vicky Ayech wrote:

> Swerve
> I watched the BBC King Lear. I hadn't been going to as saw the Paul
> Scofield version when we did it for A Level and I know it well and
> don't usually like modern dress versions of Shakespeare, and love
> Anthony Hopkins so didn't want to see him being miserable. Yes I know,
> he's an actor :).
>
> In this case he was fntastic, as was the whole production. His Lear
> was a tinpot dictator, rowdy and already just tipping into the changed
> behaviour of dementia, when he stayed with Goneril. I normally love
> Emma wossit and she began as seeming reasonable and justifiably
> annoyed at how her father was disrupting the household. There were
> glances and nods between her and husband and Regan in the early
> scenes, but mostly they seemed behaving in a way necessary given a
> father who behaved like a dictator.
>
> But then as the play went on things switched. I think Mr S milked the
> misery rather by having Cordelia die. (sorry, spoiler). I generally
> like happy endings and offing the ugly sisters would have been enough.
> It's funny how the third one tends to be the one who gets the bad
> deal. I'm thinking of Cinderella here. I wonder whether Lear would
> have been less of a spoiled bully if the Queen had still been around.
>>

> The modern day dress worked extremely well too, to my surprise. There
> were a couple of moments when I noticed planes or tablets and it
> paused the story, but it worked well.
>

>> That’s enough from me.

I loved it too! I've seen a couple of Lears over the last few years -
Simon Russell Beale was excellent (although they did the eye-gouging in
a wine cellar with a corkscrew which was even more horrible than usual)
and Anthony Sher was really disappointing but I thought Anthony Hopkins
was just perfect.

And much as I dislike Emma Thompson, she was a pretty nasty Goneril, and
her clothes were amazing. It was a stellar cast and they were all very
good. An excellent production I don't usually enjoy Shakespeare on TV
but this was the exception.

This year I am mostly seeing Macbeth, Rory Kinnear a few weeks ago
(miscast, I think, but a seriously weird production so I suspect his
failings were due to poor direction) - Christopher Eccleston in August.

2018-06-03 07:53:38 UTC
LFS wrote:

>On 02/06/2018 18:06, Vicky Ayech wrote:

>> I watched the BBC King Lear.

>I loved it too! I've seen a couple of Lears over the last few years -
>Simon Russell Beale was excellent (although they did the eye-gouging in
>a wine cellar with a corkscrew which was even more horrible than usual)
>and Anthony Sher was really disappointing but I thought Anthony Hopkins
>was just perfect.

We saw Sher at Stratford last week. What was it that you didn't
like?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-06-03 10:55:30 UTC
On 03/06/2018 08:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:
> LFS wrote:
>
>> On 02/06/2018 18:06, Vicky Ayech wrote:
>
>>> I watched the BBC King Lear.
>
>> I loved it too! I've seen a couple of Lears over the last few years -
>> Simon Russell Beale was excellent (although they did the eye-gouging in
>> a wine cellar with a corkscrew which was even more horrible than usual)
>> and Anthony Sher was really disappointing but I thought Anthony Hopkins
>> was just perfect.
>
> We saw Sher at Stratford last week. What was it that you didn't
> like?

He just wasn't my idea of Lear and I didn't find his relationships with
his daughters at all convincing. And IIRC I thought the production was a
bit overblown with his rather flouncy entrance on a palanquin. No, there
weren't elephants, were there? But there was an extravagant throne of
some sort. I'm not crazy about Sher's Shakespeare style, somehow it's a
bit heavy-going and too thoughtful which ends up as old-fashioned and
slightly hammy.

I like to be swept away by Shakespeare, enough that the well-known bits
are perfectly in context and I'm not tempted to join in under my breath.
That doesn't always happen.
2018-06-04 10:17:48 UTC
LFS wrote:

>On 03/06/2018 08:53, Chris J Dixon wrote:

>> We saw Sher at Stratford last week. What was it that you didn't
>> like?
>
>He just wasn't my idea of Lear and I didn't find his relationships with
>his daughters at all convincing. And IIRC I thought the production was a
>bit overblown with his rather flouncy entrance on a palanquin.

It was quite grand wasn't it?

>I like to be swept away by Shakespeare, enough that the well-known bits
>are perfectly in context and I'm not tempted to join in under my breath.
>That doesn't always happen.

It isn't a play I have seen much. In fact the only performance I
can remember was when my school visited Bretton College sometime
in the late 60s. I wonder if any now household names were on
stage then?

I have recorded the TV one to watch sometime.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-06-04 12:28:26 UTC
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 11:17:48 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

> In fact the only performance I
>can remember was when my school visited Bretton College sometime
>in the late 60s. I wonder if any now household names were on
>stage then?
<swerve>
I used to enjoy watching the Footlights Reviews in Cambridge in the late
'60s and early '70s and several of the players who had made an impression
turned up one way or another in subsequent years. In fact when I saw Pete
Atkin and Clive James perform together many years later I was able to tell
them Pete was 'famous' to me long before Clive, even though Clive had been
president of the footlights and had written some of the show.

When the Footlights show was on tour at some point in the '90s I went along
expecting great things and was bitterly disappointed. It's only recently
I've realised Richard Ayoade was in the cast.
2018-06-04 13:36:40 UTC

I love his travel shows.
Sid Nuncius
2018-06-04 18:42:03 UTC
On 04/06/2018 13:28, Penny wrote:

<swerve>
> I used to enjoy watching the Footlights Reviews in Cambridge in the late
> '60s and early '70s and several of the players who had made an impression
> turned up one way or another in subsequent years. In fact when I saw Pete
> Atkin and Clive James perform together many years later I was able to tell
> them Pete was 'famous' to me long before Clive, even though Clive had been
> president of the footlights and had written some of the show.

Similarly with me. Probably my proudest musical boast[1] is I appeared
on the same bill as him [2] in 1974, I think. No Clive James that
night, though - he didn't enter my consciousness until a few years later.

I loved Pete Atkin's music then and I still play and sing Thief In The
Night (Atkin/James) but, like everything else I play these days,
strictly where no-one else can hear.

[1]That and having sung solo the bass part in an a capella arrangement
of The Marcels' version of Blue Moon.

[2] In a college folk club. We were the terrible undergrad band playing
before the main act while everyone is at the bar/chatting to
friends/hasn't arrived yet. Still, a fiver a night and free beer (and
proximity to Pete Atkin) wasn't to be sneezed at in those days.

2018-06-02 19:54:14 UTC
On 02/06/2018 18:06, Vicky Ayech wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2018 13:56:26 GMT, Chris McMillan
> <***@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm just glad I've already stopped listening.
>>>
>>> Ma emailed the other night to ask what umra thought of all the current
>>> storylines.
>>
>> That’s nice of her, Fenny. Let’s see. Shula and Snappy - very realistic
>> personally know several 60 somethings going through marriage break ups)
> After Thursday, or was it Friday, I am wondering whether Shula is now
> sorry and re-thinking it all. Dog in a manger but Snappy suddenly
> enjoyed freedom. But is a nice chap so she reeeled him back in. I
> think she was faking it. Might they get back together?

I don't think she was faking it but I do agree that she's having second
thoughts and realising the benefits of living with your best friend,
even if it doesn't have quite the excitement that she might dream of. I
suspect though, that she's going to find it's too late and Alistair
won't be willing to take her back. She'll realise that it isn't
possible for her to take back some of the things she's said and which
have caused irrevocable damage to their relationship.

>> Christine Cardboard, that can’t be another dementia story

I'm wondering if she's had a TIA and that it'll prove to be the first of
many. If she becomes very frail, so that Peggy can't give her the care
she needs, her lack of capital will become an issue, as she won't be
able to afford to go into The Laurels. Neither she nor Peggy will be
happy with the idea of anywhere that the council would be able to afford.

<snip>

>> David organising Ruth’s party. Beyond stupid when he has three children
>> and a born organising mother.
>
> Yes, Jill will surely be annoyed.

Definitely. It also sounds as if the sort of party that Jenny has in
mind will be much more formal, and grander, than Ruth will like.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. (Carroll Bryant)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-06-02 21:35:06 UTC
In message <***@brightview.co.uk>, Serena
Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> writes:
>On 02/06/2018 18:06, Vicky Ayech wrote:
[]
>> After Thursday, or was it Friday, I am wondering whether Shula is now
>> sorry and re-thinking it all. Dog in a manger but Snappy suddenly
>> enjoyed freedom. But is a nice chap so she reeeled him back in. I
>> think she was faking it. Might they get back together?

I think she's sorry, but not re-thinking - just sorry for some of the
things she's said, after he's being so nice. I don't think she's faking
it - I don't think she's _that_ evil. (And I can't think what the point
would be, even if she _is_ that evil.) Being (more of the time than I
want to admit) a soft romantic, I'd like it if they _did- get back
together, but I don't think it's likely.

>I don't think she was faking it but I do agree that she's having second
>thoughts and realising the benefits of living with your best friend,
>even if it doesn't have quite the excitement that she might dream of.

I think she may have thought she's not getting that sort of excitement,
but doesn't really have much idea what form such excitement would take.

>I suspect though, that she's going to find it's too late and Alistair
>won't be willing to take her back. She'll realise that it isn't
>possible for her to take back some of the things she's said and which
>have caused irrevocable damage to their relationship.
>

>>> Christine Cardboard, that can’t be another dementia story
>>

>I'm wondering if she's had a TIA and that it'll prove to be the first
>of many. If she becomes very frail, so that Peggy can't give her the
>care she needs, her lack of capital will become an issue, as she won't
>be able to afford to go into The Laurels. Neither she nor Peggy will
>be happy with the idea of anywhere that the council would be able to
>afford.

Good thinking. Very plausible. I'd forgotten (yes, I know this is me so
that's not surprising, but still) that she'd lost a lot in Mattgate.

><snip>
>>
>>> David organising Ruth’s party. Beyond stupid when he has three
>>>children
>>> and a born organising mother.

I think he thinks he _ought_ to be doing it, even though he doesn't
either want to or have much idea.

>> Yes, Jill will surely be annoyed.
>
>Definitely. It also sounds as if the sort of party that Jenny has in
>mind will be much more formal, and grander, than Ruth will like.

Indeed. Ruth has always been portrayed as rather down-to-earth, and of
simple tastes. (And this is not a bad thing of course. Just she's not
the sort of person Jennifer is used to catering for.)

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Vicky Ayech
2018-06-03 07:58:35 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:35:06 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<G6JPG-***@255soft.uk> wrote:

>>> After Thursday, or was it Friday, I am wondering whether Shula is now
>>> sorry and re-thinking it all. Dog in a manger but Snappy suddenly
>>> enjoyed freedom. But is a nice chap so she reeeled him back in. I
>>> think she was faking it. Might they get back together?
>
>I think she's sorry, but not re-thinking - just sorry for some of the
>things she's said, after he's being so nice. I don't think she's faking
>it - I don't think she's _that_ evil. (And I can't think what the point
>would be, even if she _is_ that evil.) Being (more of the time than I
>want to admit) a soft romantic, I'd like it if they _did- get back
>together, but I don't think it's likely.

It wouldn't be conscious faking. It is possible to feel really ill and
in the same physical state to feel more or less ok. I can remember
having flu when Capt Ex, not then Capt but quite junior, was on a ship
round the coast and invited me to visit. I think as gf and for the
first time. I was at uni, in bed with flu but suddenly felt quite ok
and travelled by train to join the ship for a few days.

Sally Thompson
2018-06-02 20:39:51 UTC
Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> Swerve
> I watched the BBC King Lear. I hadn't been going to as saw the Paul
> Scofield version when we did it for A Level and I know it well and
> don't usually like modern dress versions of Shakespeare, and love
> Anthony Hopkins so didn't want to see him being miserable. Yes I know,
> he's an actor :).

I saw the Paul Schofield version when I did it for A Level too! I also saw
a later version with Eric Porter who was excellent. I’ve downloaded the BBC
one for when I have time. The trailer augured well.

<snippets snip>

Have you ever read A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley? It’s a modern
re-telling of King Lear and very good. It won the Pulitzer Prize I think.

2018-06-02 20:55:08 UTC
On 2 Jun 2018 20:39:51 GMT, Sally Thompson
<***@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Swerve
>> I watched the BBC King Lear. I hadn't been going to as saw the Paul
>> Scofield version when we did it for A Level and I know it well and
>> don't usually like modern dress versions of Shakespeare, and love
>> Anthony Hopkins so didn't want to see him being miserable. Yes I know,
>> he's an actor :).
>
>I saw the Paul Schofield version when I did it for A Level too! I also saw
>a later version with Eric Porter who was excellent. I’ve downloaded the BBC
>one for when I have time. The trailer augured well.
>
><snippets snip>
>
>Have you ever read A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley? It’s a modern
>re-telling of King Lear and very good. It won the Pulitzer Prize I think.

No. I must not buy more books as have lots to read! Also the story
is not really one I enjoy. But I think Anthony Hopkins so good he'd
make anything good. I am trying to recall what I saw him in on stage
ages ago. The play was boring, but that didn't matter. Google can't
find it. I have a vague feeling the alphabet featured in the title but
it might be that I later said I'd happily listen to him reading the
alphabet.
LFS
2018-06-02 21:46:12 UTC
On 02/06/2018 21:39, Sally Thompson wrote:
> Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Swerve
>> I watched the BBC King Lear. I hadn't been going to as saw the Paul
>> Scofield version when we did it for A Level and I know it well and
>> don't usually like modern dress versions of Shakespeare, and love
>> Anthony Hopkins so didn't want to see him being miserable. Yes I know,
>> he's an actor :).
>
> I saw the Paul Schofield version when I did it for A Level too! I also saw
> a later version with Eric Porter who was excellent. I’ve downloaded the BBC
> one for when I have time. The trailer augured well.
>
> <snippets snip>
>
> Have you ever read A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley? It’s a modern
> re-telling of King Lear and very good. It won the Pulitzer Prize I think.

It's very good, as are most of her books although I didn't finish the
horses one. I'm not keen on the fashion for modern retelling of classics
but she wrote it quite a long time ago before all these new versions.

2018-06-02 21:23:35 UTC
In message <emxQC.217094$***@fx04.am4>, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
>Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com> wrote:
[]
>> Ma emailed the other night to ask what umra thought of all the current
>> storylines.
>
>That’s nice of her, Fenny. Let’s see. Shula and Snappy - very realistic
>(I personally know several 60 somethings going through marriage break ups)
>Christine Cardboard, that can’t be another dementia story
>Will - I can relate to some of it - having had a bereaved father (though I
>was a lot older, the care and coping element angst would have been similar
>to Poppy I learnt later with hindsight). Plus The older two.
>If I didn’t know about the ‘smart drugs’ thing as portrayed with Freddie,
>I’d have said it wasn’t realistic - but it is.
>And, yes, Lils and her teacher isn’t a new phenomenon: one of my
>schoolfriends lives with the fallout of a similar relationship. She would
>have been the twins age.
>If the contamination is done properly, it could be good

Agreed on all points - i. e. all believable, though I don't like some of
them.

>Susan, a caricature. Very silly, it doesn’t work today as it did with
>Martha.

Hmm, not sure. Yes, I've been finding it silly, and her hateful - but I
find I'm thinking this about Susan, not her best friend or how she is
written - so it's well done. For example, I too thoroughly enjoyed Shula
and Alastair giving her both barrels - though had wished they'd gone
further, and laid it out without any doubt, but they might not do that
even under that provocation ... but there I am again, believing the
characters.

>David organising Ruth’s party. Beyond stupid when he has three children
>and a born organising mother.

See later post.

>Bored by Hannah already. Or is she being introduced as a BL storyline with
>Kneel? Is this one reason for return of Rob?

I have no thoughts on those ones.

>That’s enough from me.

Never (-:

>Sincerely Chris

4

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Btms
2018-06-02 21:28:51 UTC
krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 08:54, BrritSki wrote; my response is lower down:
>> Rob is coming back
>
> Which desperate editor is sinking that low? Temporary or the new permanent.
>
> Given the disservice done to Shula and various other cracks in the
> firmament I will listen but no longer be entranced.

I think its right. He just would not let go.

2018-06-02 13:52:13 UTC
BrritSki <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 08:47, Sid Nuncius wrote:
>> Was it something I said?
>>
> We've been baby-sitting in Bedford and now everyone is stunned by the
> news reported in many papers today that...
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
>
> Rob is coming back !!!!

Well, we didn’t know. Who says TA never gives plots away now?

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-06-04 10:58:11 UTC
On 02/06/18 07:47, Sid Nuncius wrote: