OT: Rapport
2018-03-05 17:02:40 UTC
Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?

Santander keep popping up to tell me to download it. I have downloaded
it. Many times. Many, many times. It is enabled in Chrome and shows
as a grey icon. When I click on that I get a little White box appear
with 2 grey tabs top left which say "protect site!" and "console".
Clicking either of them does nothing.
2018-03-05 18:15:21 UTC
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 17:02:40 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?

Assuming this is the Santander online protection thingy, I used it briefly
on my XP notebook some years back but for some reason I now forget
uninstalled it after a while so presumably it was causing (or at least was
blamed for) a problem.

I now use the Avast SafeZone* Browser which is a bit clunky in that when in
Bank Mode you can't do anything else anywhere - but I have a tablet if I
want to refer to a chat conversation or an email while using it so that's
not really a problem.

* I use Avast as my antivirus so must have got it from them

2018-03-05 23:16:23 UTC
On 05/03/2018 18:15, Penny wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 17:02:40 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?
>
> Assuming this is the Santander online protection thingy, I used it briefly
> on my XP notebook some years back but for some reason I now forget
> uninstalled it after a while so presumably it was causing (or at least was
> blamed for) a problem.
>
> I now use the Avast SafeZone* Browser which is a bit clunky in that when in
> Bank Mode you can't do anything else anywhere - but I have a tablet if I
> want to refer to a chat conversation or an email while using it so that's
> not really a problem.
>
> * I use Avast as my antivirus so must have got it from them

I used to use it with Windows XP, but it seemed to slow down things and
was always interfering and updating itself and complaining that I used
the same password for more than one site (not even banking ones). When I
got Win7 I didn't install it. I don't use the same passwords for
sensitive sites and my bank accounts seem to be very well protected,
with more than one layer of security, so I feel I'm OK. I seem to
remember Sid had a problem with it too.

2018-03-06 01:12:07 UTC
On 05/03/18 23:16, Kate B wrote:
> On 05/03/2018 18:15, Penny wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 17:02:40 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>> <***@hotmail.co.uk>
>> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?
>>
>> Assuming this is the Santander online protection thingy, I used it
>> briefly
>> on my XP notebook some years back but for some reason I now forget
>> uninstalled it after a while so presumably it was causing  (or at
>> least was
>> blamed for) a problem.
>>
>> I now use the Avast SafeZone* Browser which is a bit clunky in that
>> when in
>> Bank Mode you can't do anything else anywhere - but I have a tablet if I
>> want to refer to a chat conversation or an email while using it so that's
>> not really a problem.
>>
>> * I use Avast as my antivirus so must have got it from them
>>
> I used to use it with Windows XP, but it seemed to slow down things and
> was always interfering and updating itself and complaining that I used
> the same password for more than one site (not even banking ones). When I
> got Win7 I didn't install it. I don't use the same passwords for
> sensitive sites and my bank accounts seem to be very well protected,
> with more than one layer of security, so I feel I'm OK. I seem to
> remember Sid had a problem with it too.

If my banks were willing to offer a Linux version of their protection
programs then I'd be willing to give them a try. But I'm not willing to
whenever I go on line to a bank is to boot a live Linux disc so that
everything I'm working with is completely fresh then, when I've
finished, log off and close it all down.

2018-03-06 09:32:28 UTC
On 05/03/2018 23:16, Kate B wrote:

> I used to use it with Windows XP, but it seemed to slow down things and
> was always interfering and updating itself and complaining that I used
> the same password for more than one site (not even banking ones). When I
> got Win7 I didn't install it. I don't use the same passwords for
> sensitive sites and my bank accounts seem to be very well protected,
> with more than one layer of security, so I feel I'm OK. I seem to
> remember Sid had a problem with it too.

You remember correctly. I can't recall now exactly what the porblems
were, but I do remember it was a PITA and I uninstalled it. With
Windows Defender, some caution and a bit of basic internet commonsense,
I've not had any problems without it.

2018-03-06 12:51:45 UTC
On 05/03/2018 17:02, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?
>
> Santander keep popping up to tell me to download it.  I have downloaded
> it.  Many times.  Many, many times.  It is enabled in Chrome and shows
> as a grey icon.  When I click on that I get a little White box appear
> with 2 grey tabs top left which say "protect site!" and "console".
> Clicking either of them does nothing.

It is not just Santander that tries to get us to download Rapport. I
have been resisting two or three different banks' suggestions to do this
for some years now. When they started doing this I heard that having it
slowed things down dramatically, hence my resistance.

This doesn't help you in the least if you really want to try it, but if
you can get rid of it and carry on without, I don't think that it will
do any harm, other than still having to dismiss these pop-ups.

2018-03-06 14:09:16 UTC
In message <p7m2sv$ffi$***@dont-email.me>, carolet
<***@btinternet.com> writes:
>On 05/03/2018 17:02, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?
>> Santander keep popping up to tell me to download it.  I have
>>downloaded it.  Many times.  Many, many times.  It is enabled in
>>Chrome and shows as a grey icon.  When I click on that I get a little
>>White box appear with 2 grey tabs top left which say "protect site!"
>>and "console". Clicking either of them does nothing.
>
>It is not just Santander that tries to get us to download Rapport. I
>have been resisting two or three different banks' suggestions to do
>this for some years now. When they started doing this I heard that
>having it slowed things down dramatically, hence my resistance.
>
>This doesn't help you in the least if you really want to try it, but if
>you can get rid of it and carry on without, I don't think that it will
>do any harm, other than still having to dismiss these pop-ups.

I have a little utility called "ClickOff"; the original
site http://www.johanneshuebner.com/en/clickoff.shtml seems to have
gone, but I'm sure you can find it on other repositories. (Please look
first, but if anyone really can't find it and wants it, I'll send the
installer.) It just sits there, and when any window you've programmed it
about pops up, it presses the button you've told it about (such as "OK"
or "not now"), or closes the window, or whatever is necessary. It worked
on XP and seems to be working on 7. ("Telling it about" a new popup
window is simple, too.)

If your popups are within a browser, rather than actual windows,
ClickOff I think won't dismiss them - but AdBlockPlus's element
filtering facility may well be able to block them; that is also easy to
use: from ABP's menu select "Select element to hide", then just click on
the offending bit, and on Add filter rule.

it is easy to make up a lie, but it can take much more time and effort to
convincingly refute it. - Patrick Cockburn, i, 2016-9-24
carolet
2018-03-06 16:12:30 UTC
On 06/03/2018 14:09, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <p7m2sv$ffi$***@dont-email.me>, carolet
> <***@btinternet.com> writes:
>> On 05/03/2018 17:02, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> Has anyrat ever managed to get Rapport to work with Chrome?
>>>  Santander keep popping up to tell me to download it.  I have
>>> downloaded  it.  Many times.  Many, many times.  It is enabled in
>>> Chrome and shows  as a grey icon.  When I click on that I get a
>>> little White box appear  with 2 grey tabs top left which say "protect
>>> site!" and "console".  Clicking either of them does nothing.
>>
>> It is not just Santander that tries to get us to download Rapport. I
>> have been resisting two or three different banks' suggestions to do
>> this for some years now. When they started doing this I heard that
>> having it slowed things down dramatically, hence my resistance.
>>
>> This doesn't help you in the least if you really want to try it, but
>> if you can get rid of it and carry on without, I don't think that it
>> will do any harm, other than still having to dismiss these pop-ups.
>>
> I have a little utility called "ClickOff"; the original
> site http://www.johanneshuebner.com/en/clickoff.shtml seems to have
> gone, but I'm sure you can find it on other repositories. (Please look
> first, but if anyone really can't find it and wants it, I'll send the
> installer.) It just sits there, and when any window you've programmed it
> about pops up, it presses the button you've told it about (such as "OK"
> or "not now"), or closes the window, or whatever is necessary. It worked
> on XP and seems to be working on 7. ("Telling it about" a new popup
> window is simple, too.)
>
> If your popups are within a browser, rather than actual windows,
> ClickOff I think won't dismiss them - but AdBlockPlus's element
> filtering facility may well be able to block them; that is also easy to
> use: from ABP's menu select "Select element to hide", then just click on
> the offending bit, and on Add filter rule.

I don't think I'll bother, thank you, it's only a mild irritation.