OT A Game of Two Halves
2018-02-26 16:22:29 UTC
Okay, you poor people, shivering in the snowdrifts or anticipation of
snowdrifts. Here's a little game to wile away the bitter winter hours.

Let's find some songs from musicals that the PC brigade will still allow
us to sing and assemble them into a brand-new musical that we can put on
without the fear of no-platforming #hashtag death threats from twitter
and facebook trolls.

The first part isn't as easy as it seems. I was painting away[1] humming
"On the street where you live" when I realised "Bloimy, that's about
stalking." So I switched to "Guys and Dolls for a few moments until I
realised it failed the diversity test. Bet that he's doing it for some
doll? Pah!

I think, "Officer Krupke" from West Side Story is okay because the
protagonists have admitted their failings and are trying to do something
about it but whilst "Maria" could be sung by anybody and therefore be
acceptable to the LGBTQQIA communities, I'm a bit worried about such an
obviously Roman Catholic, Christian name exciting Jewish, Hindu, Moslem
and non-religious sensitivities so I fear it has to go.

So can we assemble ten or twelve songs from musicals which will stand up
to today's testing times? And then move on to make a new musical from them?

Nick
[1]The temperature here has risen to a manageable 24 deg C and I'm
currently taking a break from a little painting and decorating.
SODAM
2018-02-27 01:01:30 UTC
[...]
I thought perhaps “Surrey with the Fringe on Top” might do. Then I wondered
whether “honey, here’s the way it’s gonna be,” might be slightly too
coercive or controlling.

There isn’t any actual animal cruelty, because the animals that have to
scurry are hypothetical. Yet if the two horses are ”high steppin’
strutters” might they be trained in dressage? Some people think this is
cruel, or at best, undignified for horses.

Vegetarians and vegans would probably feel uneasy being driven in a rig
with isinglass curtains and a leather dashboard.

Has real silk been produced for the fringe without any exploitation of
silkworms? I think we should be told.

I’m going to have another think. It’s not easy, is it?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Jenny M Benson
2018-02-27 10:30:09 UTC
Post by SODAM
Yet if the two horses are ”high steppin’
strutters” might they be trained in dressage?
Not likely - Hackneys, I would think.

Some people think this is
Post by SODAM
cruel, or at best, undignified for horses.
Never heard that before - what utter tosh! Don't mean you are speaking
tosh, Sodam, I mean those those to whom you refer.
2018-02-27 10:44:44 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Mama Mia? Independent women. Caring guys. Wots not to like?
2018-02-27 08:43:34 UTC
On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 16:22:29 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Porgy and Bess is difficult. I suppose Bess, you is my Woman now is
one to avoid.

Is Summertime bad? It starts off ok
Summertime and the living is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

but
Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'

Is that sort of Cinderella, rich and powerful is m and pretty f is
there to please him?

Not to mention Porgy and Bess is slaves

I love Guys and Dolls but there is the idea all Nathan's gf needs for
happiness is to be married to Nathan. And the idea that Sky should
lure the innocent girl away to win a bet. On the other hand Nathan is
not pushing his gf around, he does marry her (sorry, spoiler) and all
the men seem pushed around from Mr McClosky, whose wife isn't a good
scout and won't let him use the stockroom behind the bar for a crap
game, to the female leader of the Salvation Army. And Sky ends up
playing a drum (another spoiler).
The actual song Guys and Dolls explains this
http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/guys_and_dolls_soundtrack/bobbie_walter_guys_and_dolls-lyrics-76722.html

South Pacific? Well, would the feminist PC crowd applaud I'm Gonna
Wash Than Man Right Outta My Hair? And while the nurse is worried by
the Frenchman's previous wife being native, she and the young sailor ,
who seems to be behaving in a way Western troops do with girls in the
countries they go and fight in, do have a song that is PC
You've Got to be Taught
http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/south_pacific_soundtrack/youve_got_to_be_carefully_taught-lyrics-79473.html