OT: Putting , (comma) in Newsgroups works in Thunderbird. Thank you
2019-03-12 19:59:38 UTC
I can't remember who suggested it but it works very well at deleting
cross-posted messages; thank you. Unfortunately it doesn't delete the
messages that replied to the troll.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-03-12 20:38:21 UTC
Post by DavidK
I can't remember who suggested it but it works very well at deleting
cross-posted messages; thank you. Unfortunately it doesn't delete the
messages that replied to the troll.
That was me (searching for n commas will find messages cross-posted to
n+1 'groups, though you may have to look for something like ,*,*, or
even ,.*,.*, depending on how it handles wildcards).

I would have thought it would catch the replies too, unless the replier
trims the number of 'groups, though.

Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of - David Moser
Serena Blanchflower
2019-03-12 21:11:59 UTC
Post by DavidK
I can't remember who suggested it but it works very well at deleting
cross-posted messages; thank you. Unfortunately it doesn't delete the
messages that replied to the troll.
That was me (searching for n commas will find messages cross-posted to
n+1 'groups, though you may have to look for something like ,*,*, or
even ,.*,.*, depending on how it handles wildcards).
I would have thought it would catch the replies too, unless the replier
trims the number of 'groups, though.
I don't think TB can handle wildcards but I'm quite happy for it to
simply mark as read anything which has been crossposted (including
untrimmed replies).
Only the foolish visit the land of the cannibals (Maori proverb)
Serena Blanchflower
2019-03-12 21:10:20 UTC
Post by DavidK
I can't remember who suggested it but it works very well at deleting
cross-posted messages; thank you. Unfortunately it doesn't delete the
messages that replied to the troll.
Thanks. That's excellent :)
People are forever calling me a hypochondriac and, let me tell you, that
makes me sick.