umrat report
2019-07-04 14:28:23 UTC
On Twitter Brenda Selwyn said:

Nice to hear of umra. I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during the
Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned. I
hope everyone is well, please send my regards.

I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
2019-07-04 15:02:08 UTC
Nice to hear of umra. I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during
the Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.
I hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
Yes, please do.

Do you know, what were the two "Great UMRA Flame War"s to which she
refers?

User Error: Replace user, hit any key to continue.
Vicky Ayech
I was here then and don't recall there being any.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-04 15:56:18 UTC
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 16:02:08 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Nice to hear of umra. I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during
the Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.
I hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
Yes, please do.
Do you know, what were the two "Great UMRA Flame War"s to which she
refers?
I was here then and don't recall there being any.
I've been here since near start too and didn't either, hence my
question. But different people have different thresholds for what they
consider a flame war. I've _been_ flamed - the most severe I can
remember were when the only version of a certain tune I could find on
YouTube had unsavoury video, and the odd time I've crossposted outside
UMRA's little bubble - but I don't think either of those are flame
_wars_, just toasting JPG.

Other than assorted trolls (probably most of whom are long gone), I only
have one real UMRAt killfiled, and that's not out of any ill-feeling,
just that I found I disagreed with that person often enough that I
thought I'd killfile them for the benefit of UMRA (i. e. if I don't see
their posts, UMRA will not be subject to our disagreements, which I
thought were probably becoming boring). But even that wasn't what I'd
call a flame war - I thought both I and the otherrat were civil in our
disagreements.

After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I
have one. -Cato the Elder, statesman, soldier, and writer (234-149 BCE)
Chris McMillan
2019-07-04 16:14:46 UTC
Nice to hear of umra. I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during
the Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.
I hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
Yes, please do.
Do you know, what were the two "Great UMRA Flame War"s to which she
refers?
Don’t go there, they were very nasty indeed. And broke all the netiquette
laws

2019-07-04 16:30:44 UTC
Nice to hear of umra. I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during
the Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.
I hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
Yes, please do.
Do you know, what were the two "Great UMRA Flame War"s to which she
refers?
Don’t go there, they were very nasty indeed. And broke all the netiquette
laws
Sincerely Chris
Oh. Obviously it's one example of where my poor memory is actually a
blessing, that I don't remember them.

Kate B
2019-07-04 17:01:30 UTC
Nice to hear of umra.  I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during
the Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.
I hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
Yes, please do.
Do you know, what were the two "Great UMRA Flame War"s to which she
refers?
Don’t go there, they were very nasty indeed. And broke all the netiquette
laws
Sincerely Chris
Oh. Obviously it's one example of where my poor memory is actually a
blessing, that I don't remember them.
There was a nasty period of religion-attacking. We lost Tony Gardner, a
sincere Catholic and all-round Good Umrat. You nearly lost me too, and I
certainly held back for a while though never quite left.
Paul Herber
2019-07-04 18:43:19 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
We met Tony at a barn dance a few years ago. I knew him by sight from the BBQ, the wife
used to work with him!
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Anne B
2019-07-07 16:18:05 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
Goodness me, I remember seeing posts by Tony Gardner but I have no
recollection of any flame wars.

Anne B
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-07 17:49:37 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
There was a nasty period of religion-attacking. We lost Tony Gardner, a
sincere Catholic and all-round Good Umrat. You nearly lost me too, and I
certainly held back for a while though never quite left.
Goodness me, I remember seeing posts by Tony Gardner but I have no
recollection of any flame wars.
"Flame War" would be putting it too strongly, IMO, but as Kate says,
there were some posts which were very hostile to religion which made
Tony decide that Umra wasn't the place for him. He was (and presumably
still is) a lovely man and I still miss him here.
2019-07-08 08:45:45 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
There was a nasty period of religion-attacking. We lost Tony Gardner, a
sincere Catholic and all-round Good Umrat. You nearly lost me too, and I
certainly held back for a while though never quite left.
Goodness me, I remember seeing posts by Tony Gardner but I have no
recollection of any flame wars.
"Flame War" would be putting it too strongly, IMO, but as Kate says,
there were some posts which were very hostile to religion which made
Tony decide that Umra wasn't the place for him.  He was (and presumably
still is) a lovely man and I still miss him here.
Would I be starting a flame war if I suggested that "Flame War" would
not be putting it too strongly? I never recall doing a "flounce" but
there were times when I stepped back for a month or more because I
needed a breath of fresh air.

2019-07-08 09:42:54 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
There was a nasty period of religion-attacking. We lost Tony Gardner, a
sincere Catholic and all-round Good Umrat. You nearly lost me too, and I
certainly held back for a while though never quite left.
Goodness me, I remember seeing posts by Tony Gardner but I have no
recollection of any flame wars.
"Flame War" would be putting it too strongly, IMO, but as Kate says,
there were some posts which were very hostile to religion which made
Tony decide that Umra wasn't the place for him.  He was (and
presumably still is) a lovely man and I still miss him here.
Would I be starting a flame war if I suggested that "Flame War" would
not be putting it too strongly? I never recall doing a "flounce" but
there were times when I stepped back for a month or more because I
needed a breath of fresh air.
Fair enough. Perhaps my memory of it is softened by time. It certainly
wasn't nice and made a lot of people uncomfortable - or worse.
2019-07-08 09:53:21 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
There was a nasty period of religion-attacking. We lost Tony Gardner, a
sincere Catholic and all-round Good Umrat. You nearly lost me too, and I
certainly held back for a while though never quite left.
Goodness me, I remember seeing posts by Tony Gardner but I have no
recollection of any flame wars.
"Flame War" would be putting it too strongly, IMO, but as Kate says,
there were some posts which were very hostile to religion which made
Tony decide that Umra wasn't the place for him.  He was (and
presumably still is) a lovely man and I still miss him here.
Would I be starting a flame war if I suggested that "Flame War" would
not be putting it too strongly? I never recall doing a "flounce" but
there were times when I stepped back for a month or more because I
needed a breath of fresh air.
Nick
I certainly remember what I believe Brenda mentioned. It was quite
nasty for a while with people departing. It was also quite out of
character for umra and the atmosphere was very highly charged for a
while. I suspect it was not as bad as elsewhere but traffic levels were
so much higher that I tended to see whole batches of posts rather than
as they appeared.

2019-07-04 16:19:35 UTC
Nice to hear of umra. I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during the
Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned. I
hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
Thanks, KRW!
Sincerely Chris
Yes please, NAPPIES and BURPS back in UMRA would be welcome here.
Steve Hague
2019-07-05 15:43:45 UTC
Nice to hear of umra.  I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during the
Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.  I
hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
I've been around this parish for a good many years now, and really can't
remember any serious unpleasantness. There's been a bit of friction now
and again, but nothing I would come anywhere near describing as a flame
war. I don't think there's anyone on here I wouldn't be happy to meet.
Having said that, I've noticed that Brenda left in 2002, which would
have been shortly before I joined. I might have just missed the second
and hopefully final UMRA flame war. When I first posted here though,
someone googled me and discovered that I was a fanatical evangelical
Christian who was only here to try and convert people. I think Rosie
later confessed to that, and apologised. Times change, and so do newsgroups.
2019-07-05 18:19:52 UTC
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 16:43:45 +0100, Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
I was around before 2002 and probably a while afterwards. I only
really stopped posting to usenet when I lost access to a decent news
server and CBA to suffer through Google Groups or other inferior
products.

There may have been odd umratic spats from time to time, but having
spent time in groups where flame wars could be quite intense, I tended
to make use of the killfile as appropriate. These days I just employ
Mr Read for things I'm not bothered about reading. My issues with lack
of snipping go away when he's around!
2019-07-05 18:30:23 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Nice to hear of umra.  I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during the
Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.  I
hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
I've been around this parish for a good many years now, and really can't
remember any serious unpleasantness. There's been a bit of friction now
and again, but nothing I would come anywhere near describing as a flame
war. I don't think there's anyone on here I wouldn't be happy to meet.
Me neither. I _think_ I met the one 'rat I killfiled at one of the BBQs,
and found hir pleasant enough.
Post by Fenny
Post by Steve Hague
Having said that, I've noticed that Brenda left in 2002, which would
have been shortly before I joined. I might have just missed the second
and hopefully final UMRA flame war. When I first posted here though,
someone googled me and discovered that I was a fanatical evangelical
Christian who was only here to try and convert people. I think Rosie
If someone googles me, they might find I'm a firebrand (!) with
Yorkshire Fire Brigade Union; that's not me, but we share a first and
surname.
Post by Fenny
Post by Steve Hague
later confessed to that, and apologised. Times change, and so do newsgroups.
I'd say this one less than many!
Post by Fenny
I was around before 2002 and probably a while afterwards. I only
really stopped posting to usenet when I lost access to a decent news
server and CBA to suffer through Google Groups or other inferior
products.
I find eternal-september quite acceptable most of the time; it throws
occasional wobblies, but they're usually fixed within a day or three,
and aren't common anyway (five times a year or less?). I don't
understand their business model, but am glad they're there!
Post by Fenny
There may have been odd umratic spats from time to time, but having
spent time in groups where flame wars could be quite intense, I tended
to make use of the killfile as appropriate. These days I just employ
Mr Read for things I'm not bothered about reading. My issues with lack
of snipping go away when he's around!
Yes, lack of snipping _can_ be a bit wearing, but there are much worse
sins!

I hope Steve can persuade Brenda to return. I'm glad you're back, too.
--

Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one.

(Where has the "treat northern Ireland differently" option gone?)

[Seems to be back as a possibility!]

If you carry on hating, you're the one who's damaged.
- Sir Harold Atcherley, sent to the Burma/Siam railway in April 1943
Sally Thompson
2019-07-05 20:27:10 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Nice to hear of umra.  I was one of the original members (as,
incidentally, was the Lowfield site owner) but I left in 2002 during the
Second Great UMRA Flame War and for various reasons never returned.  I
hope everyone is well, please send my regards.
I have asked her to pop back in as we are domesticated these days.
I've been around this parish for a good many years now, and really can't
remember any serious unpleasantness. There's been a bit of friction now
and again, but nothing I would come anywhere near describing as a flame
war. I don't think there's anyone on here I wouldn't be happy to meet.
Having said that, I've noticed that Brenda left in 2002, which would
have been shortly before I joined. I might have just missed the second
and hopefully final UMRA flame war. When I first posted here though,
someone googled me
AIAOU? It's never occurred to me to google an umrat, nor anyone in any of
the other newsgroups I frequent.
2019-07-06 00:04:48 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
No, I don't think I have either. Possibly, once or twice, but only to
try to find their email address, not anything about them - and never an
UMRAt.

Europeans see luxury as a badge of civilisation. Whereas we [British] have
shabbiness as a badge of civilisation. - Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, in Radio
Times 12-18 October 2013
Anne B