Techie help request
Add Reply
Mike Ruddock
2021-01-07 09:24:00 UTC
I have a disgraceful number of memory stick, of varying capacity. I lose
track of which files are on what stick. I can always shove the sticks,
one by one, into a USB slot and look at the files via WIN 7 (or, as it
happens, using a laptop, WIN 10)

However it would be of great use to me if I could print out the list of
files on each memory stick. Is there any way of doing this?

I thought of taking a screen shot using my mobile and then printing that
out, but can't find a way of sending stuff to the printer from my mobile.

Any ideas???

Mike Ruddock
Chris J Dixon
2021-01-07 09:57:56 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have a disgraceful number of memory stick, of varying capacity. I lose
track of which files are on what stick. I can always shove the sticks,
one by one, into a USB slot and look at the files via WIN 7 (or, as it
happens, using a laptop, WIN 10)
However it would be of great use to me if I could print out the list of
files on each memory stick. Is there any way of doing this?
I thought of taking a screen shot using my mobile and then printing that
out, but can't find a way of sending stuff to the printer from my mobile.
Any ideas???
This is where I try to remember DOS commands.

<https://www.lifewire.com/dir-command-4050018>

for instance
dir/s > c:\insert path here

should list all files on your starting folder, plus all
subdirectories, in the file you have specified in "insert path
here"

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-01-07 10:03:47 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have a disgraceful number of memory stick, of varying capacity. I lose
track of which files are on what stick. I can always shove the sticks,
one by one, into a USB slot and look at the files via WIN 7 (or, as it
happens, using a laptop, WIN 10)
However it would be of great use to me if I could print out the list of
files on each memory stick. Is there any way of doing this?
I thought of taking a screen shot using my mobile and then printing that
out, but can't find a way of sending stuff to the printer from my mobile.
Any ideas???
Take the screenshot on the PC.

WIN-PrtScrn buttons held down together will capture the whole screen and
save it in the Pictures/screenshots folder.

Or you can use Alt-PrtScrn to capture just the active window and then
you can use Ctl-V to paste it into e.g. a Word Document.
Clive Arthur
2021-01-07 10:16:12 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have a disgraceful number of memory stick, of varying capacity. I lose
track of which files are on what stick. I can always shove the sticks,
one by one, into a USB slot and look at the files via WIN 7 (or, as it
happens, using a laptop, WIN 10)
However it would be of great use to me if I could print out the list of
files on each memory stick. Is there any way of doing this?
I thought of taking a screen shot using my mobile and then printing that
out, but can't find a way of sending stuff to the printer from my mobile.
Any ideas???
Mike Ruddock
Find out the drive letter of your stick - plug it in and use file
explorer or whatever to see what your computer calls it. Mine uses F:
for a single stick, but yours will probably be 'lower'.

Create a directory (folder) on C: called 'sticks' or whatever.

Click on the magnifying glass and type 'command' into the little box, no
quotes obvs. A 'command prompt window' will appear.

At the end of the prompt C:\Users\mike> or whatever type...

dir f: >c:\sticks\dirstickname.txt

where f: is replaced by your drive letter and dirstickname by some
suitable filename.

(dir f: stands for 'directory of f:' and > directs this to a text file
called c:\sticks\dirstickname.txt)

So this will create a text file in c:\sticks called dirstickname.txt
with a directory listing. Notepad can open and print this.

To quote Tommy Cooper waving his wand, "They said I was a mystic, and
here it is, me stick!"
--
Cheers
Clive
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-01-07 20:34:44 UTC
On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 10:16:12, Clive Arthur <***@nowaytoday.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
Post by Clive Arthur
Find out the drive letter of your stick - plug it in and use file
for a single stick, but yours will probably be 'lower'.
Create a directory (folder) on C: called 'sticks' or whatever.
Click on the magnifying glass and type 'command' into the little box,
no quotes obvs. A 'command prompt window' will appear.
At the end of the prompt C:\Users\mike> or whatever type...
dir f: >c:\sticks\dirstickname.txt
where f: is replaced by your drive letter and dirstickname by some
suitable filename.
If the stick has folders on it, use

dir /s f:\ >[filename.txt as above]

[/s: include subdirectories]

dir /s /w f:\ >... will give several filenames to a line, but
with fewer details each [/w =wide], and similarly other switches -

dir /? | more

will tell you what they all do. (the "| more" makes it pause once a
screenful so it doesn't shoot off the top of the window before you can
read it.) IIRR, there are ones that will let you determine the order -
biggest or smallest or newest or oldest first, for example. Though the
default order will probably be fine.
Post by Clive Arthur
(dir f: stands for 'directory of f:' and > directs this to a text file
called c:\sticks\dirstickname.txt)
So this will create a text file in c:\sticks called dirstickname.txt
with a directory listing. Notepad can open and print this.
Obviously, use a filename you can associate with whichever stick you
have in when you do it. Don't put any spaces in the filename - use _ if
you want, such as red_stick_filelist.txt .
Post by Clive Arthur
To quote Tommy Cooper waving his wand, "They said I was a mystic, and
here it is, me stick!"
(-:

By the very definition of "news," we hear very little about the dominant
threats to our lives, and the most about the rarest, including terror.
"LibertyMcG" alias Brian P. McGlinchey, 2013-7-23
Sid Nuncius
2021-01-07 10:37:09 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have a disgraceful number of memory stick, of varying capacity. I lose
track of which files are on what stick. I can always shove the sticks,
one by one, into a USB slot and look at the files via WIN 7 (or, as it
happens, using a laptop, WIN 10)
However it would be of great use to me if I could print out the list of
files on each memory stick. Is there any way of doing this?
I thought of taking a screen shot using my mobile and then printing that
out, but can't find a way of sending stuff to the printer from my mobile.
Any ideas???
Good to hear from you, Mike.

Much brainier techies than me have made suggestions, but the way I do it
is this. (Apologies if I'm in a grandmother/eggs situation anywhere - I
have no idea how much detail to give, so I've erred on the side of caution.)

1. Plug in the stick and open Windows Explorer (the file icon in the
task bar.)

2. Click on the icon for the stick in the left-hand column to display
the list of files.

3. Highlight all the files. (Click on the first one, then Shift+End.)

4. Click on the Home tab at the top. This brings down a menu bar.

5. Click on Copy Path.

This copies all the file locations to the clipboard. If you then open
the app you use for word processing (Word, Libre Office Writer or
whatever), you can simply Paste there. You'll get a list of things
which look a bit like
"C:\Users\nunci\OneDrive\Documents\Android connection solution.doc"

I then use the Edit > Find And Replace function to remove all the bits I
don't want, and there's your list in a printable document.

HTH
--
Sid
Mike Ruddock
2021-01-07 15:46:06 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Thanks. Four respondents, four suggestions. I will try them all!

<Potters off to his laptop>

Mike Ruddock
Mike McMillan
2021-01-07 16:13:14 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
I don't think they include a potter's wheel on new laptops do they?
2021-01-07 16:54:50 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Hard drives might have difficulties in coping with the load...
Philip Hole
2021-01-07 16:42:09 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Thanks. Four respondents, four suggestions. I will try them all!
<Potters off to his laptop>
Mike Ruddock
Sorry - but here comes a fifth:

https://www.sttmedia.com/filelistcreator-download

Works for me but I want them in an Excel file and my csv option doesnt
do csv.

So, export as text then import to Excel.
That works.
Flop
Philip Hole
2021-01-09 11:10:33 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Mike Ruddock
Thanks. Four respondents, four suggestions. I will try them all!
<Potters off to his laptop>
Mike Ruddock
https://www.sttmedia.com/filelistcreator-download
Works for me but I want them in an Excel file and my csv option doesnt
do csv.
So, export as text then import to Excel.
That works.
I was using the wrong download so here is the correct recipe:

1) Open file

2) Click 'Search Folders'

3) A 'File Explorer' type tree has appeared

4) Click on Drive Letter ( or double click and select sub-folders)

5) Click 'OK'. Selected files appear

6) Select 'Excel Spreadsheet' or 'Text' or ..... from 'Export Format'

7) Click 'Save....". Choose destination

8) Done

Simples and pretty well all self=evident

Chris
2021-01-07 18:53:31 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Once a teacher, always a teacher, Sid! Were I still a PC person, I’d be
saving that as a tuit.