Futile gesture
2018-02-26 17:58:34 UTC
Jpeg footed with ‘
"This situation absolutely requires a really futile and stoopid gesture be
done
on somebody's part." "We're just the guys to do it." Eric "Otter" Stratton
(Tim
Matheson) and John "Bluto" Blutarsky (John Belushi) - N. L's Animal House

(1978)

I think that the Peter Cook - Dudley Moor military sketch on the subject
preceded this didn’t it?
2018-02-26 18:07:53 UTC
Jpeg footed with ‘
"This situation absolutely requires a really futile and stoopid gesture be
done
on somebody's part." "We're just the guys to do it." Eric "Otter" Stratton
(Tim
Matheson) and John "Bluto" Blutarsky (John Belushi) - N. L's Animal House
(1978)
I think that the Peter Cook - Dudley Moor military sketch on the subject
preceded this didn’t it?
Almost certainly. But PC/DM were (gently) mocking stiff-upper-lip
British war-type movies. National Lampoon's movie "Animal House" was a
celebration of grossness (John Belushi a master thereof) - something I'm
not normally a fan of, but that film raises (or lowers!) it to an art
form. Thus very different in character. It would slightly surprise me if
the perpetrators of the film had even seen the C/M sketch.