Ask EU - Archers compendium/encyclopaedia
2018-07-25 00:23:56 UTC
I've been listening to TA since about '62 or '63. There have been gaps.
I've now listened consistently for about 20 - 25 yrs. and I would like
reference material (pref. a 'dead tree' version i.e. a book) that can,
comprehensively, fill in those gaps.

Suggestions on a post, please. [1]

[1] See what I did there?
Btms
2018-07-25 08:01:09 UTC
I've been listening to TA since about '62 or '63. There have been gaps.
I've now listened consistently for about 20 - 25 yrs. and I would like
reference material (pref. a 'dead tree' version i.e. a book) that can,
comprehensively, fill in those gaps.
Suggestions on a post, please. [1]
“The Book of the Archers” wouldbe a contender but not up to date.
2018-07-25 08:16:14 UTC
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:01:09 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
I've been listening to TA since about '62 or '63. There have been gaps.
I've now listened consistently for about 20 - 25 yrs. and I would like
reference material (pref. a 'dead tree' version i.e. a book) that can,
comprehensively, fill in those gaps.
Suggestions on a post, please. [1]
“The Book of the Archers” wouldbe a contender but not up to date.
The Archers Encyclopedia is the more recent version and often shows a
different light on some aspects - it's not just an updated version of The
Book.
2018-07-25 18:01:07 UTC
I've been listening to TA since about '62 or '63. There have been gaps.
I've now listened consistently for about 20 - 25 yrs. and I would like
reference material (pref. a 'dead tree' version i.e. a book) that can,
comprehensively, fill in those gaps.
Suggestions on a post, please. [1]
“The Book of the Archers” wouldbe a contender but not up to date.
The Archers Encyclopedia is the more recent version and often shows a
different light on some aspects - it's not just an updated version of The
Book.
I have a number of books about The Archers (sad, but true). They include
the following.

"The Book of The Archers" is by Patricia Greene, Charles Collingwood and
Hedli Niklaus (aka Jill, Brian and Kathy). It is copyright 1994.

"The Archers Encyclopaedia" is compiled by Joanna Toye and Adrian Flynn
(two TA writers). It is copyright 2001.

These two large books are both of a similar format, with entries for
each character, in alphabetical order, giving some of the details of
their life.

I tend to look at TAE first when trying to answer your questions, but
TBOTA sometimes has information that is not in the other.

For more recent queries I will look at "Who's Who in The Archers". New
versions were published in subsequent years as "Who's Who in The Archer
2001", up to "Who's Who in The Archers 2012". The last two are by Graham
Harvey (the agricultural advisor), the rest by Keri Davies (TA writer,
he used to be very involved with the BBC message board). These little
books were derived from the online Who's Who, each one covers about 110
of the most important characters, with a page about each one. The
description for a particular character seems to have been updated every
few years.

"The Archers Archives - 60 Years of Life, Love and Stories from
Ambridge" by Simon Frith (TA writer) and Chris Arnot (a journalist) was
published in 2010. Camilla Fisher (the Archivist) contributed quite a
lot, I believe. This goes through the momentous events in Ambridge, year
by year. It also includes profiles of certain characters. This is quite
good at giving an overview of the story so far, but it has no index so
it is difficult to look things up in it.

"The Archers - The History of Radio's Most Famous Programme" by William
Smethurst (TA editor) was published in 1997. This is more about the
background story, how the programme came to be, casting, why Grace died,
etc, rather the story in the programme, but there is some of that, and
the index allows you to find it.

The following are newer books. The all contain interesting stuff, but I
see them as just odds and ends. They won't will in any gaps in any
meaning full way, not unless you wanted to know what happened at the
2004 fete, say. Even then, it would be hard to look up, although you
might remember seeing it in one of them somewhere.

"The Archers Miscellany" by Joanna Toye (TA writer) was published in 2009.

"The Archers - An Unofficial Companion" by Rosie Dillon was published 2011.

"The Archers - The Ambridge Chronicles" by Joanna Toye (TA writer) and
Karen Farrington was published 2013
2018-07-25 08:19:16 UTC
I've been listening to TA since about '62 or '63. There have been gaps.
I've now listened consistently for about 20 - 25 yrs. and I would like
reference material (pref. a 'dead tree' version i.e. a book) that can,
comprehensively, fill in those gaps.
Suggestions on a post, please. [1]
I suggest you will need a larger than 6 foot by 4 inch by 4 inch post for
that job, err.... does that help at all? ;-)
2018-07-25 22:42:54 UTC
I've been listening to TA since about '62 or '63. There have been gaps.
I've now listened consistently for about 20 - 25 yrs. and I would like
reference material (pref. a 'dead tree' version i.e. a book) that can,
comprehensively, fill in those gaps.
Suggestions on a post, please. [1]
You might find something on this list:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/596830.Joanna_Toye