Google Groups...
Add Reply
Min
2020-08-31 22:58:05 UTC
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
Min
Jenny M Benson
2020-09-01 09:20:55 UTC
Post by Min
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
If it's the page I just looked at, there is an icon like a cog-wheel,
top right. Click on that and there is an option to "Return to Classic
Google Groups."
Wrexham, UK
Min
2020-09-01 22:12:51 UTC
Post by Min
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
If it's the page I just looked at, there is an icon like a cog-wheel,
top right. Click on that and there is an option to "Return to Classic
Google Groups."
Thank you so much, Jenny. I was right-clicking on the cog, but left
click brought that up. Eternal gratitude and snipper-rifle immunity!
Min
Chris McMillan
2020-09-04 08:06:15 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
If it's the page I just looked at, there is an icon like a cog-wheel,
top right. Click on that and there is an option to "Return to Classic
Google Groups."
Thank you so much, Jenny. I was right-clicking on the cog, but left
click brought that up. Eternal gratitude and snipper-rifle immunity!
Min, it’s not ideal especially coming from turnpike, but definitely better
than Google, us two and a few others use NewsTap.

Sincerely Chris
Min
2020-09-05 00:15:47 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
If it's the page I just looked at, there is an icon like a cog-wheel,
top right. Click on that and there is an option to "Return to Classic
Google Groups."
Thank you so much, Jenny. I was right-clicking on the cog, but left
click brought that up. Eternal gratitude and snipper-rifle immunity!
Min, it’s not ideal especially coming from turnpike, but definitely better
than Google, us two and a few others use NewsTap.
Sincerely Chris
Thanks, Chris. From what I just read, it's an Apple newsreader. I access
umra from my PC. My iPad is pretty ancient, and I really don't fancy
reading umra from my iPhone, but if they *do* go to the 'New, Improved'
Groups, I might move umra to the iPad.
Min
BrritSki
2020-09-05 08:19:20 UTC
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ? It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.

I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Jenny M Benson
2020-09-05 10:13:46 UTC
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
LW to all that.
Wrexham, UK
Chris McMillan
2020-09-05 13:14:20 UTC
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ? It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Here’s yer man, Min.

T/pike was particularly well suited to both our eye conditions, Britters,
plus what we cut our teeth on, fortunately. And, yes, having everything in
one package meant I could use it for everything for many years.

Except when forced to for my charitable work needs, I still use the one
email program.

Best Chris

Sincerely Chris
Min
2020-09-05 22:57:26 UTC
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ? It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Min
Serena Blanchflower
2020-09-06 07:54:04 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ? It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Alternatively, you could use <http://www.eternal-september.org/>, who do
much the same as the Berlin server, albeit with possibly slightly more
spam getting through, but do it for free.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast. (Lewis Carroll)
Penny
2020-09-06 08:29:56 UTC
On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 08:54:04 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ? It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Alternatively, you could use <http://www.eternal-september.org/>, who do
much the same as the Berlin server, albeit with possibly slightly more
spam getting through, but do it for free.
Or use Plusnet as your ISP - do any others still have a news server?
2020-09-06 09:05:07 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ? It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Alternatively, you could use <http://www.eternal-september.org/>, who do
much the same as the Berlin server, albeit with possibly slightly more
spam getting through, but do it for free.
Or use Plusnet as your ISP - do any others still have a news server?
We obtain ours to via Virgin-on-the-Ridiculous.
2020-09-06 11:53:34 UTC
Post by Min
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ?  It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Alternatively, you could use <http://www.eternal-september.org/>, who do
much the same as the Berlin server, albeit with possibly slightly more
spam getting through, but do it for free.
Can I put in a word of news.aioe.org which has served me well for a very
long time?
Min
2020-09-06 22:59:50 UTC
Post by Min
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ?  It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Alternatively, you could use <http://www.eternal-september.org/>, who do
much the same as the Berlin server, albeit with possibly slightly more
spam getting through, but do it for free.
Can I put in a word of news.aioe.org which has served me well for a very
long time?
Thank you all for suggestions. I shall keep them safe in case the 'New &
Improved' comes in, then just pray to Dog that I have the necessary spoons.
Min
Nick Odell
2020-09-07 16:26:17 UTC
Post by Min
... I access umra from my PC.
What is wrong with Thunderbird ?  It's not Turnpike, but I never have
understood why some people were so attached to it, but then I never used
it for email, just usenet.
I've been using it for decades, latterly with the Berlin server.
€10/year for umra is a VERY small price to pay...
Mm, granted, Brritski, but (IIRC) I didn't *have* the tenner one month,
and shortly afterwards my PC turned its little electronic toes up....lo and
behold - 'x' years umraless....
Alternatively, you could use <http://www.eternal-september.org/>, who do
much the same as the Berlin server, albeit with possibly slightly more
spam getting through, but do it for free.
Can I put in a word of news.aioe.org which has served me well for a very
long time?
Do you subscribe to any other newsgroups apart from umra? Reason for
asking is that aioe are known to have a very -erme- relaxed attitude
to the purveyors of canned pink meat and as a consequence many posters
elsewhere kill-file anything that comes from aioe regardless of the
poster. If you find people elsewhere seldom reply directly to you but
through other replies to your posts then your news provider might
already have been blacklisted by some posters over there.

2020-09-07 18:20:57 UTC
Do you subscribe to any other newsgroups apart from umra?
No
2020-09-05 08:35:16 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Min
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
I always access umra (other newsgroups are available) on my iPad, and it is
very convenient and works well.
Min
2020-09-05 23:01:38 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Min
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
I'm sure it is, Sally, but my iPad has a cracked screen, is quite ancient (at
one point was without updates for about 19 months until Apple relented...) and
doesn't hold a battery charge for long. Should the 'New & Improved' Groups be
introduced, going the iPad/newstap way is the way I will try.
Min
Chris McMillan
2020-09-05 13:14:20 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Min
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Min
[...]
We only have it on iPad. Other umrats have some sort of annual payment,
and a very small one to something that’s not an app. Now they know you’re
PC they’ll be along.

2020-09-01 20:56:32 UTC
On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 15:58:05 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
It has not happened to me, here, yet but these changes have a habit of
being rolled out in different places at different times.

Two comments:
First comment, I find Google Groups a convenient way of observing
activity in newsgroups but only in the very direst of direly dire
circumstances do I use it for writing.

Second comment: AFAICR No so-called upgrade of Google Groups has ever
offered an improvement on the previous version and no option to switch
between two modes has lasted more than a few weeks before the new
version becomes the only version.

Conclusions: On Google Groups things are only going to get worse. Find
yourself another way of communicating with umra before it is too late.

Nick
Min
2020-09-01 22:18:35 UTC
Post by Min
[...]
I wouldn't use it if I didn't feel it was the only way of communicating
with umra *for me*. I have been with it (on and off) for 6 years.
But thank you.
Min
Nick Odell
2020-09-02 15:17:12 UTC
Post by Min
Having inadvertently pressed a button, I got to the new Google Groups.
It's horrible and if Anyrat knows how to get back to the old, I would be
eternally grateful!
It has not happened to me, here, yet but these changes have a habit of
being rolled out in different places at different times.
First comment, I find Google Groups a convenient way of observing
activity in newsgroups but only in the very direst of direly dire
circumstances do I use it for writing.
Second comment: AFAICR No so-called upgrade of Google Groups has ever
offered an improvement on the previous version and no option to switch
between two modes has lasted more than a few weeks before the new
version becomes the only version.
Conclusions: On Google Groups things are only going to get worse. Find
yourself another way of communicating with umra before it is too late.
My apologies for writing so brusquely. I've been predicting the end of
times since Google Groups took over Deja News and it hasn't happened.

Yet.

But each time Google Groups undergoes a revision, a proportion of
users decides to abandon Usenet and it would be more than a shame for
us to lose more umrats. There is doubtless a tipping point somewhere
ahead but I'm nuggered if I can see where it is.

Nick