OT In Memoriam
Add Reply
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-01-30 08:41:48 UTC
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Paul Herber
2020-01-30 08:49:07 UTC
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Mike
2020-01-30 08:58:43 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
To the dogs?

A Spaniel.

SODAM
2020-01-30 09:04:11 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
Could be cut off short.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Nick Leverton
2020-01-30 09:21:21 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
Make sure you've put enough time on the car park ticket.

2020-01-30 11:46:18 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Paul Herber
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
Make sure you've put enough time on the car park ticket.
Nick
Below ground level parking is just as expensive.
2020-01-30 12:41:54 UTC
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 09:21:21 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton <***@leverton.org>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Paul Herber
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
Make sure you've put enough time on the car park ticket.
Wasn't that Dick the $*it?
Nick Leverton
2020-01-31 10:48:18 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Paul Herber
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 00:41:48 -0800 (PST), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
Waiting to see where this conversation is headed.
Make sure you've put enough time on the car park ticket.
Wasn't that Dick the $*it?
Err, yes, thanks. Fingers posting quicker than brain works ...

2020-01-30 21:37:56 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
I didn't realise that today was his Feast day in the Anglican calendar
of saints.

(Canonised on 19 May 1660.)
2020-01-30 21:44:46 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
I didn't realise that today was his Feast day in the Anglican calendar
of saints.
(Canonised on 19 May 1660.)
So you mean he's saint Charles? Really? I'd never heard that. (I've
never heard of a St. Charles at all.)

"The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey
Mike
2020-01-30 22:05:02 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
I didn't realise that today was his Feast day in the Anglican calendar
of saints.
(Canonised on 19 May 1660.)
So you mean he's saint Charles? Really? I'd never heard that. (I've
never heard of a St. Charles at all.)
Nah, .... it is just that he had his own camera and photocopier.
2020-01-30 23:13:57 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
I didn't realise that today was his Feast day in the Anglican calendar
of saints.
(Canonised on 19 May 1660.)
So you mean he's saint Charles? Really? I'd never heard that. (I've
never heard of a St. Charles at all.)
There aren't that many. The popularity of the name is due more to
Charlemagne than any saint. But you can take your pick from the following:
Charles I, Count of Flanders (1084–1127), Blessed Charles the Good,
count of Flanders, 1119–1127
Charles, Duke of Brittany (1319–1364), Saint Charles de Châtillon
Saint Charles Borromeo (1538–1584), cardinal and archbishop of
Milan, 1564–1584
Blessed Charles Spinola (1564–1622), Italian Jesuit missionary
martyred in Japan
King Charles the Martyr (1600–1649), Anglican martyr, king of
England, Scotland, and Ireland, 1625–1649
Saint Charles Garnier (missionary) (1606–1649), French Jesuit
missionary martyred in Canada
Saint Charles of Sezze (1613–1670), Italian friar of the Franciscan
Order
Saint Charles-Joseph-Eugène de Mazenod (1782–1861), French Catholic
clergyman
Saint Charles of Mount Argus (1821–1893), Dutch Passionist priest
who worked in Ireland
Saint Charles Lwanga (1860– or 1865–1886), Ugandan Catholic martyr
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-01-30 23:19:23 UTC
There is a church in Vienna of famous architecture dedicated to Charles Borromeo.
Penny
2020-01-30 23:23:14 UTC
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 21:37:56 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
King Charles 1, ob. 1649
I didn't realise that today was his Feast day in the Anglican calendar
of saints.
(Canonised on 19 May 1660.)
I didn't know that - not mentioned in the book* I reached for when I saw
Tony's post this morning. Why would the date of his death become his feast
day - or is that how these things work?

*I have learned a load of stuff about him which I wasn't taught at school,
but we only 'did' the civil war in primary, I think.
He could neither walk nor talk at the age of three, suffering from rickets
(I imagine that was always more of a problem in Scotland). As an adult he
was 4ft 7ins tall.
There's lots about his Catholic wife too who seems to have caused some
bother - don't blame her as he reneged on the promises to relieve the
anti-Catholic laws as part of marriage treaty.