OT: Ricky Gervais GG [1] speech
2020-01-07 09:48:35 UTC
Spectator has the full text of his speech, his fifth and last. He's got
a bit too smarmy for me generally, but the penultimate para was rather
funny and the last para is absolutely spot on.

Here they are:

The world got to see James Corden as a fat pussy. He was also in the
movie Cats, but no one saw that. And the reviews were shocking. I saw
one that said this is the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs. But
Dame Judi Dench defended the film, saying it was the role she was born
to play because she – I can’t do this next joke. Because she loves
nothing better than plonking herself down on the carpet, lifting her leg
and licking her arse hole. She’s old school. It’s the last time, who cares.

Apple roared into the TV game with The Morning Show, a superb drama. A
superb drama about the importance of dignity and doing the right thing,
made by a company that runs sweatshops in China. So, well, you say
you’re woke, but the companies you work for. I mean, unbelievable:
Apple, Amazon, Disney. If Isis started a streaming service, you’d call
your agent, wouldn’t you? So if you do win an award tonight, please
don’t use it as a platform to make a political speech. You’re in no
position to lecture the public about anything. You know nothing about
the real world. Most of you spent less time in school than Greta
Thunberg. So if you win, come up, accept your little award, thank your
agent and your God and fuck off.

[1] No, not Gay Grables, Golden Globes
Sid Nuncius
2020-01-07 18:15:38 UTC
Spectator has the full text of his speech, his fifth and last. He's got
a bit too smarmy for me generally, but the penultimate para was rather
funny and the last para is absolutely spot on.
<languid wave>
2020-01-07 21:17:09 UTC
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 09:48:35 +0000, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Good points, well made but does anybody listen?

I've never taken to Ricky Gervais and fail to understand what others
see in him but it seems to me that for the previous four years he has
built his Golden Globes reputation on being as offensive as possible
to as many as possible. I never understood why they invited him back.

So in this his fifth (and as you say, probably final year) do you
suppose anybody was actually listening beyond his trademark
offensiveness to what he was actually saying?

2020-01-07 22:52:09 UTC
On Tue, 07 Jan 2020 21:17:09 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 09:48:35 +0000, BrritSki
I've never taken to Ricky Gervais and fail to understand what others
see in him but it seems to me that for the previous four years he has
built his Golden Globes reputation on being as offensive as possible
to as many as possible. I never understood why they invited him back.
So in this his fifth (and as you say, probably final year) do you
suppose anybody was actually listening beyond his trademark
offensiveness to what he was actually saying?
Nick
Yes, I dislike him and never watched The Office. Or the GGS