More Thunderbird
Add Reply
Steve Hague
2019-10-09 07:59:48 UTC
Does anyrat know how to change the default language from US English to
UK English? I can do it for individual messages, but next time I come to
write a message I'm back to USian. Help is no help. Thunderbird is not
alone in this, but I find Help addresses every issue apart from the one
I've got.
2019-10-09 10:27:17 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know how to change the default language from US English to
UK English? I can do it for individual messages, but next time I come to
write a message I'm back to USian. Help is no help. Thunderbird is not
alone in this, but I find Help addresses every issue apart from the one
I've got.
Steve
If you go to preferences>preferences>advanced there is a setting for
locale. I don't see an obvious way to change it but I'd check there to
start.

2019-10-09 11:29:45 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know how to change the default language from US English to
UK English? I can do it for individual messages, but next time I come
to write a message I'm back to USian. Help is no help. Thunderbird is
not alone in this, but I find Help addresses every issue apart from
the one I've got.
Steve
If you go to preferences>preferences>advanced there is a setting for
locale. I don't see an obvious way to change it but I'd check there to
start.
I suspect that it's taking the OS's default language. If you're using
Win 10, you can find that (and change it, if necessary) by going to the
start menu and typing in Language, which will give you the option of
going to the right page to see your language setting and, if as I
suspect it's set to English (US), to change it to English (UK).
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
it on, I go to the library and read a good book (Groucho Marx)
Kate B
2019-10-09 11:57:01 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know how to change the default language from US English
to UK English? I can do it for individual messages, but next time I
come to write a message I'm back to USian. Help is no help.
Thunderbird is not alone in this, but I find Help addresses every
issue apart from the one I've got.
Steve
If you go to preferences>preferences>advanced there is a setting for
locale. I don't see an obvious way to change it but I'd check there to
start.
I suspect that it's taking the OS's default language.  If you're using
Win 10, you can find that (and change it, if necessary) by going to the
start menu and typing in Language, which will give you the option of
going to the right page to see your language setting and, if as I
suspect it's set to English (US), to change it to English (UK).
I've disabled spellcheck etc as it annoys me intensely even when it's in
British English, but I had a look in my options and sure enough it is
set to US English even though the computer is firmly all-British (I've
also got German and French options but they are not the defaults) This
is presumably because I downloaded the US version, not noticing that
there was a sneaky link to other versions where the UK one can be
downloaded. I've downloaded the GB one now and am just awaiting a tuit
to bite the bullet and reinstall GB over US.
Steve Hague
2019-10-09 14:51:17 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
I've just done that. I'll try typing colour. That worked, it didn't try
to change it to color. (Which has been underlined in red!). Success.
Thanks Kate. You don't get the language notification in the bottom right
hand corner now, but it's definitely British English.
2019-10-09 17:00:25 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
I think I used Edit -> Preferences -> Composition -> Languages but I
could be fluffy.
Steve Hague
2019-10-09 18:00:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
I don't have the Preferences option under Edit, but Kate's suggestion
was successful.
2019-10-09 17:26:14 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Ooh, how exciting. Did you uninstall and reinstall, or just install the
GBversion over the US one? I'm feeling very wary of it all at the
moment. And are you now on the release channel or the stable one?
Steve Hague
2019-10-09 18:02:48 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
I just installed over the US one. The stable one I believe.
Steve

Steve Hague
2019-10-09 14:40:05 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know how to change the default language from US English
to UK English? I can do it for individual messages, but next time I
come to write a message I'm back to USian. Help is no help.
Thunderbird is not alone in this, but I find Help addresses every
issue apart from the one I've got.
Steve
If you go to preferences>preferences>advanced there is a setting for
locale. I don't see an obvious way to change it but I'd check there to
start.
I suspect that it's taking the OS's default language.  If you're using
Win 10, you can find that (and change it, if necessary) by going to the
start menu and typing in Language, which will give you the option of
going to the right page to see your language setting and, if as I
suspect it's set to English (US), to change it to English (UK).
Thanks Serena, but it's already set to UK.