a thought/wonder about Susan
2020-11-05 17:30:35 UTC
I was just thinking: has there ever been a case of someone
_deliberately_ using "Radio Carter", as someone cleverly called it
before she actually got her radio show?

I mean, has anyone ever deliberately either told Susan, or deliberately
said to someone else in her hearing, something that they wanted widely
known, as a way of achieving that?

Either a truth or - perhaps more fun - something untrue?

WANTED, Dead AND Alive: Schrodinger's Cat
DavidK
Yes, but I can't remember the details.
Penny
2020-11-05 18:22:21 UTC
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:56:24 +0000, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I was just thinking: has there ever been a case of someone
_deliberately_ using "Radio Carter", as someone cleverly called it
before she actually got her radio show?
I mean, has anyone ever deliberately either told Susan, or deliberately
said to someone else in her hearing, something that they wanted widely
known, as a way of achieving that?
Either a truth or - perhaps more fun - something untrue?
Yes, but I can't remember the details.
I'm pretty sure it has happened, if only in a
"How can we let people know?"
"Just tell Susan."
way.

I also recall such a thing suggested at a private gathering in our village,
years ago. Someone wanted to spread a (false) rumour about who had bought
the old Methodist Chapel and what their plans were for it - just to wind
some people up. It was suggested they discuss it in the village shop.
2020-11-05 20:04:49 UTC
in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I was just thinking: has there ever been a case of someone
_deliberately_ using "Radio Carter", as someone cleverly called it
before she actually got her radio show?
I mean, has anyone ever deliberately either told Susan, or deliberately
said to someone else in her hearing, something that they wanted widely
known, as a way of achieving that?
Either a truth or - perhaps more fun - something untrue?
Yes, but I can't remember the details.
I'm pretty sure it has happened, if only in a
"How can we let people know?"
"Just tell Susan."
way.
Oh, I certainly remember that conversation, at least once; I just don't
specifically remember it actually being done.
Post by Penny
I also recall such a thing suggested at a private gathering in our village,
years ago. Someone wanted to spread a (false) rumour about who had bought
the old Methodist Chapel and what their plans were for it - just to wind
some people up. It was suggested they discuss it in the village shop.
Was that done (-:?

"This situation absolutely requires a really futile and stoopid gesture be done
on somebody's part." "We're just the guys to do it." Eric "Otter" Stratton (Tim
Matheson) and John "Bluto" Blutarsky (John Belushi) - N. L's Animal House
(1978)
Penny
2020-11-05 22:58:04 UTC
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 20:04:49 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I also recall such a thing suggested at a private gathering in our village,
years ago. Someone wanted to spread a (false) rumour about who had bought
the old Methodist Chapel and what their plans were for it - just to wind
some people up. It was suggested they discuss it in the village shop.
Was that done (-:?
Not as far as I know, it didn't get repeated anywhere in my hearing.

I did, on at least one occasion, stamp upon a rumour I overheard in that
shop because I knew it was untrue and potentially damaging to a close
friend of mine. I dread to think what was said about me when I first
arrived in the village...
2020-11-06 06:50:03 UTC
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 20:04:49 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I also recall such a thing suggested at a private gathering in our village,
years ago. Someone wanted to spread a (false) rumour about who had bought
the old Methodist Chapel and what their plans were for it - just to wind
some people up. It was suggested they discuss it in the village shop.
Was that done (-:?
Not as far as I know, it didn't get repeated anywhere in my hearing.
I did, on at least one occasion, stamp upon a rumour I overheard in that
shop because I knew it was untrue and potentially damaging to a close
friend of mine. I dread to think what was said about me when I first
arrived in the village...
Probably nothing compared with what was said after you left.

2020-11-06 09:59:49 UTC
I dread to think what was said about me when I first
arrived in the village...
Knowing most villages they are probably still saying it!
2020-11-06 10:15:04 UTC
I dread to think what was said about me when I first
arrived in the village...
Knowing most villages they are probably still saying it!
Frankie Howerd vocalisation of an ‘ooh’ with rising pitch seems appropriate
at this juncture (or maybe the sound of puffins I think?).
2020-11-06 16:20:18 UTC
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 20:04:49 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I also recall such a thing suggested at a private gathering in our village,
years ago. Someone wanted to spread a (false) rumour about who had bought
the old Methodist Chapel and what their plans were for it - just to wind
some people up. It was suggested they discuss it in the village shop.
Was that done (-:?
Not as far as I know, it didn't get repeated anywhere in my hearing.
I did, on at least one occasion, stamp upon a rumour I overheard in that
shop because I knew it was untrue and potentially damaging to a close
friend of mine. I dread to think what was said about me when I first
arrived in the village...
cf Red Dressing Gown Tales No.1 or No.2 - I forget which but a google
on umra will tell.

Once upon a time, I wanted the people I worked with to know some
personal stuff about me but I did not want an interrogation on the
subject. So I told the office Susan Carter - in complete confidence of
course.

Job done.

2020-11-06 14:13:24 UTC
[...]
Nick
Many years ago, on the day when latex husbad moved out, I saw his car
parked outside the local post office, when I was coming home from work.
I assumed he was telling the post mistress (our local equivalent of
Susan) that we'd separated and mentally ticked that job off my list of
things to do. I later discovered that he hadn't told her and she was
very put out when she was one of the last people to hear it ;)
Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled
through snow. (Jeff Valdez)
DavidK
Something to do with Adam, Ian, Lexi and Xander?
Serena Blanchflower
2020-11-06 14:18:47 UTC
I was just thinking: has there ever been a case of someone
_deliberately_ using "Radio Carter", as someone cleverly called it
before she actually got her radio show?
I mean, has anyone ever deliberately either told Susan, or deliberately
said to someone else in her hearing, something that they wanted widely
known, as a way of achieving that?
Either a truth or - perhaps more fun - something untrue?
I remember that, when Jennifer wanted to let the village know about
Brian, Siobhan and Ruairi, without having to discuss it with too many
people, she took Ruairi with her when she went into the shop. She just
introduced him as "This is Ruairi, Brian's son, who's come to live with
us" and left Susan (and anyone else who was in the shop) both to join
the dots and to spread the news wide and far.

I have a feeling there was another example, more recently, when someone
used Susan to spread an untrue rumour but I can't remember what it was.
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.
(Mark Twain)