12-18 months lockdown???
2020-04-25 11:22:11 UTC
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons. Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
Peter Percival
2020-04-25 14:58:31 UTC
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons. Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner. 'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-25 15:39:24 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
True, but we can at least inject ourselves with antiseptic to cure this one.
2020-04-25 16:05:38 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
True, but we can at least inject ourselves with antiseptic to cure this one.
Perhaps DT would like to show how well that will work...
2020-04-25 22:03:32 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
True, but we can at least inject ourselves with antiseptic to cure this one.
Perhaps DT would like to show how well that will work...
His latest claim is that he was trying to cure people with sarcasm.
2020-04-26 08:53:17 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
True, but we can at least inject ourselves with antiseptic to cure this one.
Perhaps DT would like to show how well that will work...
His latest claim is that he was trying to cure people with sarcasm.
But that's not worth the time and effort, apparently.

It's the behaviour of a spoilt seven-year-old. It would be funny if it
weren't so very, very serious.
2020-04-26 13:26:01 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Does the White House have a naughty step?

2020-04-26 13:38:04 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
john
Yes, it is situated behind the lectern in the Oval Office.
2020-04-26 21:36:28 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Yes. It's the place where he fires anyone who doesn't offer slavish
support for any and all of his bizarre utterances.
2020-04-25 18:40:13 UTC
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:58:31 +0100, Peter Percival
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons. Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner. 'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
...nor that other member of the same family, the common cold.

Nick
steve hague
2020-04-25 16:25:07 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
Or even the comon cold.
Steve
Anne B
2020-04-25 20:50:25 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
Nor, IIRC, for Ebola or HIV

Anne B
Mike
2020-04-26 07:24:11 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
Nor, IIRC, for Ebola or HIV
Anne B
Or Micro$oft Windows
2020-04-26 13:55:29 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
Nor, IIRC, for Ebola or HIV
Anne B
Or Micro$oft Windows
The new PC was supplied without o/s and so I have undertaken a clean Win
10 install and apart from Windows Media Player seemingly particularly
flaky and the Photos app still being unable index all my photos the o/s
itself appears stable.
2020-04-26 13:53:31 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
I have a feeling that the common cold has been around even longer and
there is no vaccine for that either.

Even without lockdown easing more people are travelling - the roads are
busier and there is more traffic. Our neighbours appear to have been
having a family party all weekend. Some relaxation has to happen shortly.
2020-04-26 15:08:14 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons.   Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
There seems to be a wide-spread belief that a vaccine is just around the
corner.  'tis worth keeping in mind that so far there is a vaccine for
neither SARS nor MERS.
I have a feeling that the common cold has been around even longer and
there is no vaccine for that either.
Even without lockdown easing more people are travelling - the roads are
busier and there is more traffic. Our neighbours appear to have been
having a family party all weekend. Some relaxation has to happen shortly.
The A329(M) runs past the back of Toodleville and it is starting to get
noisier again... :-(
2020-04-27 14:47:37 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
It is fair to say that people in their cars are a couple of yards from
anyone else so are more likely to travel in their own motor vehicle than
risk public transport.
2020-04-27 17:31:26 UTC
It is fair to say that people in their cars are a couple of yards from
anyone else so are more likely to travel in their own motor vehicle than
risk public transport.
I find that I am noticing vehicle movements amongst my
neighbours, especially those who are away for a few nights.
Legitimate explanations are possible, but I'm not sure I am that
charitable.

You're letting yourself down...

If the magic tracking app comes to fruition, their galavanting
could well lead to my being confined to barracks. :-(

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-04-27 18:02:57 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by krw
It is fair to say that people in their cars are a couple of yards from
anyone else so are more likely to travel in their own motor vehicle than
risk public transport.
I find that I am noticing vehicle movements amongst my
neighbours, especially those who are away for a few nights.
Legitimate explanations are possible, but I'm not sure I am that
charitable.
You're letting yourself down...
If the magic tracking app comes to fruition, their galavanting
could well lead to my being confined to barracks. :-(
Chris
More health workers working nights?

cleaners, shelf fillers, transport workers all kinds
Sid Nuncius
2020-04-28 05:04:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by krw
It is fair to say that people in their cars are a couple of yards from
anyone else so are more likely to travel in their own motor vehicle than
risk public transport.
I find that I am noticing vehicle movements amongst my
neighbours, especially those who are away for a few nights.
Legitimate explanations are possible, but I'm not sure I am that
charitable.
You're letting yourself down...
If the magic tracking app comes to fruition, their galavanting
could well lead to my being confined to barracks. :-(
More health workers working nights?
That's one way of putting it, I suppose.
2020-04-28 13:48:22 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by krw
It is fair to say that people in their cars are a couple of yards from
anyone else so are more likely to travel in their own motor vehicle than
risk public transport.
I find that I am noticing vehicle movements amongst my
neighbours, especially those who are away for a few nights.
Legitimate explanations are possible, but I'm not sure I am that
charitable.
You're letting yourself down...
If the magic tracking app comes to fruition, their galavanting
could well lead to my being confined to barracks. :-(
Chris
More health workers working nights?
I'm reminded of that divisive speech by Osborne some years back, suggesting
all those whose curtains were closed when you were on your way to work were
plainly lazy scroungers [rather than the shift-workers we all rely upon].
Clive Arthur
2020-04-28 13:53:21 UTC
On 26/04/2020 16:08, Mike wrote:

<snip>
Post by Mike
The A329(M) runs past the back of Toodleville and it is starting to get
noisier again... :-(
Oh no it doesn't! That's the A3290 - the A329(M) runs from Winnersh to
Coppid Beech, the Winnersh to Reading section was downgraded years ago.

Can't stand people trying to get above themselves, "We live next to a
motorway class road, don't you know!"
--
Cheers
Clive
Mike
2020-04-28 14:35:54 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike
The A329(M) runs past the back of Toodleville and it is starting to get
noisier again... :-(
Oh no it doesn't! That's the A3290 - the A329(M) runs from Winnersh to
Coppid Beech, the Winnersh to Reading section was downgraded years ago.
Can't stand people trying to get above themselves, "We live next to a
motorway class road, don't you know!"
;-))) I’d rather not have ANY busy roads running by my house at all at all.

2020-04-28 16:37:31 UTC
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:46:00 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike
The A329(M) runs past the back of Toodleville and it is starting to get
noisier again... :-(
Oh no it doesn't! That's the A3290 - the A329(M) runs from Winnersh to
Coppid Beech, the Winnersh to Reading section was downgraded years ago.
Can't stand people trying to get above themselves, "We live next to a
motorway class road, don't you know!"
Splutter.
Sincerely Chris
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close. I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
Penny
2020-04-28 18:03:07 UTC
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 17:37:31 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close. I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
I remember when the M1 first opened we went out for a trip around the local
underpasses (we must have had a drive on the road itself too, the sectional
concrete road sounded strange). I'd never seen anything like the sculpted
looking concrete of the bridges.

Glad I wasn't still there when they built the M25, it cuts through some of
my childhood walks (and the farm of a friend).

When I first moved to Kent the M20 stopped just beyond the end of the
garden - they extended it some time after I'd moved up the road to a
village already bisected by the M2.
2020-04-28 18:36:28 UTC
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 19:03:07 +0100, Penny wrote:

[M1]
the sectional concrete road sounded strange
The only surface that old Japanese Bridgestone tyres would grip onto.
2020-04-28 21:02:05 UTC
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close. I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
I remember when the M1 first opened we went out for a trip around the local
underpasses (we must have had a drive on the road itself too, the sectional
concrete road sounded strange). I'd never seen anything like the sculpted
looking concrete of the bridges.
Glad I wasn't still there when they built the M25, it cuts through some of
my childhood walks (and the farm of a friend).
When I first moved to Kent the M20 stopped just beyond the end of the
garden - they extended it some time after I'd moved up the road to a
village already bisected by the M2.
I was at Sheffield University when the first part of the M1 opened. It
didn't go all the way to Sheffield then. I don't think it did before I
left.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-04-28 21:19:01 UTC
Why is there no M7 in the UK?
steveski
2020-04-28 23:56:34 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Why is there no M7 in the UK?
There is but now we'll have to kill you because of your new knowledge.

Ah, this is a public platform, isn't it?

Oopsie.
(Not) Steveski
steve hague
2020-04-29 09:55:08 UTC
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close. I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
I remember when the M1 first opened we went out for a trip around the local
underpasses (we must have had a drive on the road itself too, the sectional
concrete road sounded strange). I'd never seen anything like the sculpted
looking concrete of the bridges.
Glad I wasn't still there when they built the M25, it cuts through some of
my childhood walks (and the farm of a friend).
When I first moved to Kent the M20 stopped just beyond the end of the
garden - they extended it some time after I'd moved up the road to a
village already bisected by the M2.
Wasn't the M25 designed by the demon Crawley?
ITYMissed the joke :/
Mike
2020-04-29 13:33:33 UTC
Post by steve hague
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close.  I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
I remember when the M1 first opened we went out for a trip around the local
underpasses (we must have had a drive on the road itself too, the sectional
concrete road sounded strange). I'd never seen anything like the sculpted
looking concrete of the bridges.
Glad I wasn't still there when they built the M25, it cuts through some of
my childhood walks (and the farm of a friend).
When I first moved to Kent the M20 stopped just beyond the end of the
garden - they extended it some time after I'd moved up the road to a
village already bisected by the M2.
Wasn't the M25 designed by the demon Crawley?
Who got an award for it (I was listening to it last night)
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
sick, you shouldn't take it. (Henry Ford)
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-04-28 19:11:31 UTC
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:46:00 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike
The A329(M) runs past the back of Toodleville and it is starting to get
noisier again... :-(
Oh no it doesn't! That's the A3290 - the A329(M) runs from Winnersh to
Coppid Beech, the Winnersh to Reading section was downgraded years ago.
Can't stand people trying to get above themselves, "We live next to a
motorway class road, don't you know!"
Splutter.
Sincerely Chris
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close. I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
The M8 is a mathematical construct passing through all points of this
city simultaneously. The stretch between Kinning Park and the Kingston
Bridge in Southside where the M8, M74 and M77 all run together is a
wonder of topology.

Tony Smith Gloucestershire
We once tried a walk near Raglan Castle from a book we had had some time. We found the A40 had been upgraded to a dual carriage way which we had difficulty crossing and that the footpath the other side had been abolished. Moreover the tea room near the castle was shut.
Mike
2020-04-29 07:47:39 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:46:00 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike
[...]
‘Tea’s off Luv.’
2020-04-29 23:56:31 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:46:00 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike
[...]
Now that's what I call a proper Raglan accent!
2020-04-28 20:14:38 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 15:46:00 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Clive Arthur
<snip>
Post by Mike
The A329(M) runs past the back of Toodleville and it is starting to get
noisier again... :-(
Oh no it doesn't!  That's the A3290 - the A329(M) runs from Winnersh to
Coppid Beech, the Winnersh to Reading section was downgraded years ago.
Can't stand people trying to get above themselves, "We live next to a
motorway class road, don't you know!"
Splutter.
Sincerely Chris
The A41, M1, A412 are just up the road and the M25 is pretty close.  I
am enjoying the ability to cross roads more easily and breathe cleaner
air and see the stars now the traffic has been reduced.
The M8 is a mathematical construct passing through all points of this
city simultaneously. The stretch between Kinning Park and the Kingston
Bridge in Southside where the M8, M74 and M77 all run together is a
wonder of topology.
what is the purpose of the flyover to nowhere at Charing Cross, though,
I have always asked myself. Unless it's gone somewhere since I was last
there....
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-04-28 22:02:25 UTC
Sierpinski's Glasgow-filling curve.
Nick Odell
2020-04-25 18:30:58 UTC
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 12:22:11 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
This is a gransnet post and thread and I'm not surehow I feel. I did
enjoy zooming with the family yesterday for 5 year old granddaughter's
birthday but was very sad at not being able to hug her and my two
grandsons. Depending on your age it becomes less acceptable to
continue lockdown if you might not have many years or any after it.
This seems a good moment to revisit the teachings of St. Jacinda of
Wellington who said the purpose of isolation is to protect other
people. Behave, she said, as if you already have the infection.