Colin Skipp
Add Reply
Kosmo
2019-11-21 09:02:05 UTC
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.

https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
Kosmo
Penny
2019-11-21 11:39:21 UTC
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 10:02:05 +0100, Kosmo <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Kosmo
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.
https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
For a moment there I was puzzled, having forgotten we now have a Troughton
in the part.
2019-11-21 12:54:09 UTC
Post by Kosmo
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.
https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
Its not yet on bbc news anywhere.

He did right to retire when he did.

2019-11-22 15:11:47 UTC
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:54:09 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Kosmo
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.
https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
Its not yet on bbc news anywhere.
He did right to retire when he did.
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."

2019-11-22 15:45:55 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Kosmo
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.
https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
Its not yet on bbc news anywhere.
He did right to retire when he did.
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
Perhaps he will get a honorable mentionnat the end.
2019-11-22 15:51:59 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50515186
2019-11-22 16:56:51 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Kosmo
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.
https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
Its not yet on bbc news anywhere.
He did right to retire when he did.
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
Perhaps he will get a honorable mentionnat the end.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50515186
So they Skipp’d Colin in the end of Last Worms then...
2019-11-22 17:09:06 UTC
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10400589/colin-skipp-dead-archers-bbc-actor/
2019-11-22 19:30:49 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50515186
So they Skipp’d Colin in the end of Last Worms then...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10400589/colin-skipp-dead-archers-
bbc-actor/
That seems to be a rehash of the above BBC one - even to the same two
pictures!

You can be tough without being rude - Nick Clegg, 2014 July
Penny
2019-11-23 01:46:25 UTC
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 19:30:49 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50515186
So they Skipp’d Colin in the end of Last Worms then...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10400589/colin-skipp-dead-archers-
bbc-actor/
That seems to be a rehash of the above BBC one - even to the same two
pictures!
Of course it is - you've heard of a press release.
2019-11-23 07:49:30 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Kosmo
It has been reported on Facebook that Colin has died.
https://www.facebook.com/43671191219/posts/10156738194991220/
Its not yet on bbc news anywhere.
He did right to retire when he did.
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham

2019-11-23 09:46:46 UTC
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.

(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)

Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change
[via Penny Mayes (***@pmail.net)]
Mike
2019-11-23 10:01:21 UTC
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
An organic compost heap takes its’ time you know.
Nick Leverton
2019-11-23 12:44:00 UTC
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
An organic compost heap takes its’ time you know.
A very subtle attempt to sneak in but Ai think that may require a BTN ...

2019-11-23 12:54:39 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
An organic compost heap takes its’ time you know.
A very subtle attempt to sneak in but Ai think that may require a BTN ...
Nick
As if I would try for one of those Nick! I’m shocked by your suggestion!;-)
2019-11-23 19:37:00 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
An organic compost heap takes its’ time you know.
A very subtle attempt to sneak in but Ai think that may require a BTN ...
I did wonder whether I should raise one: that apostrophe definitely left
a bad taste.
Post by Mike
Post by Nick Leverton
Nick
As if I would try for one of those Nick! I’m shocked by your suggestion!;-)
(-:

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues
-- Abraham Lincoln quoted by Mark Lloyd in alt.windows7.general 2018-12-27
Mike
2019-11-23 20:33:21 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Nick Leverton
Nick
As if I would try for one of those Nick! I’m shocked by your suggestion!;-)
Wot’s rong with that apostrof Jpg?!
APIHNA as eany fule kno.
Anne B
2019-11-23 22:54:35 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Nick Leverton
Nick
As if I would try for one of those Nick! I’m shocked by your suggestion!;-)
Wot’s rong with that apostrof Jpg?!
It shouldn't be there at all.

Anne B
Penny
2019-11-23 23:03:50 UTC
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 22:54:35 +0000, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Mike
Post by Nick Leverton
Nick
As if I would try for one of those Nick! I’m shocked by your suggestion!;-)
Wot’s rong with that apostrof Jpg?!
It shouldn't be there at all.
its is often right
it's is sometimes right
its' is never right
2019-11-24 09:07:22 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Nick Leverton
Nick
As if I would try for one of those Nick! I’m shocked by your suggestion!;-)
Wot’s rong with that apostrof Jpg?!
It shouldn't be there at all.
its is often right
it's is sometimes right
its' is never right
It is 9.a.m = It's 9.a.m. Replacing it is with it's
the possessive apostrophe to show belonging, Mike's cake, Vicky's car
or the boys' toilet or the little girl's doll is not used for it. So
its mother has left it there. For some reason that does not get the
apostrophe.
Penny
2019-11-24 13:14:56 UTC
On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 09:07:22 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
It is 9.a.m = It's 9.a.m. Replacing it is with it's
the possessive apostrophe to show belonging, Mike's cake, Vicky's car
or the boys' toilet or the little girl's doll is not used for it. So
its mother has left it there. For some reason that does not get the
apostrophe.
Same reason his and hers don't.
Whose is a slightly weird one with an e on the end.
2019-11-24 18:41:41 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
An organic compost heap takes its’ time you know.
A very subtle attempt to sneak in but Ai think that may require a BTN ...
Yes, OK.
Ooh! Thank you kind Sir!
2019-11-23 10:53:59 UTC
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:46:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
I imagine the BBC has preprepared obits for most people of note but getting
the colleagues/friends together to talk about them would take a few days.
Although when the death is on the main news they usually manage to phone
around and get a few words out of somebody.
2019-11-23 12:24:42 UTC
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:46:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
None of this week's Last Worders died this week. Three were from
October and one from Nov 3rd.

2019-11-24 15:31:49 UTC
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:46:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
None of this week's Last Worders died this week. Three were from
October and one from Nov 3rd.
I hope they manage to include Stephen Cleobury before Christmas.
2019-11-24 15:53:16 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:46:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
None of this week's Last Worders died this week. Three were from
October and one from Nov 3rd.
I hope they manage to include Stephen Cleobury before Christmas.
And he was no age and had very recently retired too.

2019-11-24 17:37:55 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
[...]
john
When suggested I might like to carry on being overworked and underpaid at
age 65, I declined the offer; retirement seemed (and I still think) the
better option.
2019-11-24 18:57:30 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
[...]
It's said that every year you retire early adds two to your life
expectancy. I managed to escape 6 years early thanks to some incompetent
civil service accountancy, but given I never really worked I'm probably
immortal.

john(should that "t" be there in the last word?)
BrritSki
Blimey. I quit at 57 !
Sam Plusnet
2019-11-24 22:45:36 UTC
When suggested I might like to carry on being overworked and underpaid at
age 65, I declined the offer; retirement seemed (and I still think) the
better option.
I blame the careers advice person in school.
The career to which I was ideally suited was retirement - if only I had
received that advice as a callow youth.
2019-11-24 23:09:18 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
[...]
I was reluctant (initially) when my employer told me to go at 60.
Looking at the last nearly 6 years I rather think I did the right thing.
2019-11-25 09:07:00 UTC
I was reluctant (initially) when my employer told me to go at 60.
Looking at the last nearly 6 years I rather think I did the right thing.
My response during my annual review at age 59 to "Where do you
see yourself in 12 months' time?" was "Retired!"

Shortly afterwards the opportunity arose to apply for voluntary
redundancy. I applied more in hope than expectation, as with my
10 years' service it would cost them almost as much as keeping
me, but my luck was in. I was by that time a square peg in a
round hole, and I think it was probably realised that this was
the best option for all concerned.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-11-24 17:38:07 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:46:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
None of this week's Last Worders died this week. Three were from
October and one from Nov 3rd.
I hope they manage to include Stephen Cleobury before Christmas.
And he was no age and had very recently retired too.
His successor was Youngest One's choirmaster at Magdalen, then he
skipped off for a few years to New York. I shall be interested to hear
his first Nine Lessons and Carols.

2019-11-25 15:02:14 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
[...]
Was trying to remember who’s taken over, and I still can’t remember.

2019-11-25 20:08:41 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
[...]
Dan Hyde, who in addition to his association with Youngest was organ
scholar at Kings when Oldest Daughters were at Cambridge. Is there no
escape?

2019-11-26 16:49:16 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
[...]
Thanks, not noticed his name before.

2019-11-25 15:02:13 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 09:46:46 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
None of this week's Last Worders died this week. Three were from
October and one from Nov 3rd.
I hope they manage to include Stephen Cleobury before Christmas.
I should think a whole programme would be hard to do him justice!

2019-11-23 14:35:03 UTC
It only appeared on the BBC site about ten o'clock this morning.
AFAIK they haven't rejigged the schedule for today's "Last Word."
Nick
They didn’t. Deserves a proper last word, preferably including Pat and
Helen, and Tom Graham
Sincerely Chris
Maybe next week, if no greater lights have gone out by then. Better to
have time to prepare (as you say, probably get contributions from
others) than rush something out.
(Or is Last Word definitely only tied to those who've gone in the
preceding 7 days?)
Very definitely not tied to any one week. Two or three weeks later even.
TA being R4 says it all probably.