Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - 29th June to 2nd July 2020
2020-06-24 16:30:01 UTC

Cast :
Susan Carter - Charlotte Martin
Ed Grundy - Barry Farrimond
Emma Grundy - Emerald O'Hanrahan
Elizabeth Pargetter - Alison Dowling
Freddie Pargetter - Toby Laurence
Tracy Horrobin - Susie Riddell

Director : Kim Greengrass
Editor : Jeremy Howe
Writer : Katie Hims
Writer : Nick Warburton

Spoilers:
Monday 29th - Elizabeth considers her options and Freddie is up to his
neck in it.
Tuesday 30th - Ed has his arm twisted and Emma takes on a challenge.
Wednesday 1st - Elizabeth takes the first step and Ed finds himself
caught in the middle.
Thursday 2nd - Freddie realises what’s important and Susan is haunted by
events from the previous night.

Katie Hims is a new writer.
2020-06-25 20:51:16 UTC
Katie Hims is a new writer.
https://audiodrama.fandom.com/wiki/Katie_Hims

It appears she writes for the wireless. Will things get better?
2020-06-26 01:19:35 UTC
Katie Hims is a new writer.
https://audiodrama.fandom.com/wiki/Katie_Hims
It appears she writes for the wireless. Will things get better?
If I have not mentioned so before, Katie Hims is one of that small
collection of writers for BBC Radio who is such a delight that I will
listen to anything she writes and not expect to be disappointed. Check
out Listening to the Dead, a five pàrt drama over five generations or
the Lost Property series.

I know, I know, I said exactly the same a few weeks ago about Nick
Warburton and I am sorry to say I found the week when he collaborated
on the Archers monologues to be so deeply uninspiring that I could not
even tell which were the parts he wrote. However with Nick Warburton
and Katie Hims in tandem from the 29th, I am willing to give it
another go.

2020-07-07 23:13:52 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 22:19:35 -0300, Nick Odell
Katie Hims is a new writer.
https://audiodrama.fandom.com/wiki/Katie_Hims
It appears she writes for the wireless. Will things get better?
If I have not mentioned so before, Katie Hims is one of that small
collection of writers for BBC Radio who is such a delight that I will
listen to anything she writes and not expect to be disappointed. Check
out Listening to the Dead, a five pàrt drama over five generations or
the Lost Property series.
I know, I know, I said exactly the same a few weeks ago about Nick
Warburton and I am sorry to say I found the week when he collaborated
on the Archers monologues to be so deeply uninspiring that I could not
even tell which were the parts he wrote. However with Nick Warburton
and Katie Hims in tandem from the 29th, I am willing to give it
another go.
....and give it another go I just did. I have just finished listening
to the omni.

Oh dear :-( What is the Usenet graphic for sitting in despair with
ones head in ones hand? I need one! Lots of them!

I thought with two of (IMO) the best radio scriptwriters around this
has got to fly! It will be terrific! I am so looking forward to being
knocked out of my apathy! It didn't(1), it wasn't and here I still am.

I am putting the blame on management. Honestly, if Katie Hims(2) and
Nick Warburton are unable to breathe life into the show then it is the
show that is wrong. I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work, so determined not to backtrack and consider other ways of doing
things that it is crushing the creativity out of the writers and
failing to use the wealth of experience they bring to the project.

In other news, I have been thoroughly enjoying the new Dead Ringers
series. Produced in lockdown with the cast in their own homes, I
presume but the effortless banter between the cast and the slick
production almost makes you forget there used to be a studio audience
to help things along. If they can do it, why not TA?

Nick
(1)I originally wrote here, Sorry luv, apostrophes are off and then
found the speilchucker will put them in for me. Please tell me these
are good, honest apostrophes not those funny graphics that usually
come from this Spanish keyboard
(2)Just been listening again to Five Rachels - brilliant!
krw
2020-07-07 22:32:24 UTC
I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work,
I have not listened to this week as yet; but the rumour is that it takes
4 times as long to edit a "normal" episode based on separate recordings.

My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money. Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
2020-07-08 07:58:47 UTC
I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work,
I have not listened to this week as yet; but the rumour is that it takes
4 times as long to edit a "normal" episode based on separate recordings.
That maybe true if you insist on high quality, but I'm certain that they
could spend the same amount of time and come up with an acceptable level
of quality.
Post by krw
My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money.  Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
As are so many other things that we enjoy on the BBC including BBC4 and
Daily Politics. Instead we are offered numerous Drag Races and the awful
Nylon Rylan in everything. I am seriously considering contributing to
the defund the BBC campaign :(
Penny
2020-07-08 09:23:27 UTC
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 23:32:24 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work,
I have not listened to this week as yet; but the rumour is that it takes
4 times as long to edit a "normal" episode based on separate recordings.
My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money. Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
Tim Bentinck had some interesting things to say about the technicalities in
his lengthy zoom chat last Friday. He does a lot of voice work from home
anyway but the Collingwood household (Brian and Shula) did not previously
possess a computer.
2020-07-08 15:08:34 UTC
dust...
I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work,
I have not listened to this week as yet; but the rumour is that it takes
4 times as long to edit a "normal" episode based on separate recordings.
My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money. Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
Tim Bentinck had some interesting things to say about the technicalities in
his lengthy zoom chat last Friday. He does a lot of voice work from home
anyway but the Collingwood household (Brian and Shula) did not previously
possess a computer.
What?

I find that very hard to believe. How can two working people -
particularly actors - possibly manage without internet these days? Do
they have to get scripts specially printed and sent out to them?
Schedules by post? How do you function without email? And what about all
the rest of everyday life - even before the pandemic it was extremely
difficult to manage without some sort of internet access. Of course
there are plenty of people who do have to manage, but they don't tend to
be relatively affluent middle-class pillars of the BBC.
2020-07-08 17:11:40 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
dust...
[...]
One might possibly not regard tablets and smartphones as computers.
2020-07-10 17:19:42 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
dust...
[...]
A couple that I know had no computer. They used one in the library and
such places. As lockdown started they bought a smartphone so that they
could access email. Perhaps Charles and Judy did something similar.
2020-07-10 20:14:31 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Penny
dust...
[...]
I know a couple much like that, although they were away at the start of
lockdown, so couldn't rush out to buy any kind of computer. The most
surprising thing about this is that the wife is a retired IT project
manager. I will be very interested to see what happens now and whether
they rethink their choice not to have any internet connection.
--
best wishes, Serena
Why do they call this a word processor? It's simple, ... you've seen
what food processors do to food, right?
Chris McMillan
2020-07-08 10:38:14 UTC
I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work,
I have not listened to this week as yet; but the rumour is that it takes
4 times as long to edit a "normal" episode based on separate recordings.
My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money. Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
This week is good. It has a fully connected across the epis heard so far
have several recognisable plotline/s with history thrown in. Excellently
written and so far acted.

And there was a post epi spoiler which was apposite too!!

2020-07-08 11:28:01 UTC
I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work,
I have not listened to this week as yet; but the rumour is that it takes
4 times as long to edit a "normal" episode based on separate recordings.
My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money. Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
This week is good. It has a fully connected across the epis heard so far
have several recognisable plotline/s with history thrown in. Excellently
written and so far acted.
I disagree on both fronts. I already posted about Monday and yesterday
was just as bad, Chrisduffer especially. People just don;t have an
internal laugh like that...
Sam Plusnet
2020-07-08 21:10:45 UTC
My view is shame on the BBC for not spending the money.  Clearly
wireless is dead to them.
At least the "end date" for analogue radio has been shifted (i.e. kicked
into the long grass) until 2031.
2020-07-08 07:55:25 UTC
I am putting the blame on management. Honestly, if Katie Hims(2) and
Nick Warburton are unable to breathe life into the show then it is the
show that is wrong. I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work, so determined not to backtrack...
That and such contempt for the largely wrinkly audience that they won't
spend any money on it.
Exactly.
John Ashby
2020-07-08 08:50:45 UTC
I am putting the blame on management. Honestly, if Katie Hims(2) and
Nick Warburton are unable to breathe life into the show then it is the
show that is wrong. I am now suspecting that Jeremy Howe - or whoever
cooked up the talking heads format - is so determined to force it to
work, so determined not to backtrack...
That and such contempt for the largely wrinkly audience that they won't
spend any money on it.
One form that contempt has taken is that they seem to think the audience
want only warm, fuzzy stories and must be shielded from the harsher bits
of a) the COVID-19 pandemic and its effects, both medical and societal,
and b) all the previous stories that were infecting Ambridge.

I suspect they are wrong on both counts.

2020-07-02 14:17:12 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 17:30:01 +0100, carolet <***@gmail.com>
Wednesday 1st - Elizabeth takes the first step
Um, I know I'm not paying enough attention to anything much at the moment
but it seemed to me, Ifti(sp?), having suggested they 'catch up', visited
Lizzie in her bedroom and proceeded to eat spaghetti while watching sport
of some kind on TV. Otherwise why was she concerned about the possibility
of someone crashing in on the scene to use her bathroom (surely there is
another functioning loo in the building?).

Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.

None of it makes much sense to me - apart from Lizzie waiting for her
children to gain some independence before looking for another man to share
her life with.
My memory of Ifti was of a pleasant chap who got on well with both Lizzie
and Freddie. Was it the fling with Roy which shut the door on that
relationship?

Little makes sense to me just now, can anyone help?
2020-07-02 16:48:44 UTC
[...]
I htink people in TA are still locked down so the chat with Ifty was
in zoom. There are plumbing problems at LL, which Freddie is trying to
fix, and the only working loo is Lizzie's en suite, unless he fixes
things before she chats to Ifty.

She didn't tell anyone else she had an online date to chat with him.
He cooked his pasta while chatting and then ate it. I don't recall him
watching sport, although it is possible to do that online while
zooming. He might have just talked about sport? I don't know why they
stopped seeing each otehr. Maybe Roy or maybe Lizzie felt not ready
yet at that time to have a relationship.
krw
2020-07-02 20:24:37 UTC
maybe Lizzie felt not ready
yet at that time to have a relationship.
Lizzie sat Ifty down and said although 5 years had passed Nigel's ghost
was still hanging around and it was far too soon. It was quite some
time before Roy.
2020-07-03 13:04:41 UTC
Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.
Why did you think it rude? IIUC lot's of people go to a virtual pub
together (byob), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a virtual meal
together (bring your own pasta). Am I white and fluffy?
Vicky Ayech
2020-07-03 13:15:40 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.
Why did you think it rude? IIUC lot's of people go to a virtual pub
together (byob), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a virtual meal
together (bring your own pasta). Am I white and fluffy?
I think it was presented to Elizabeth as a chance to have a friendly
chat because he was so pleased to be back in contact. it wasn't let's
eat together. He cooked his meal and ate it while chatting to her.
DavidK
2020-07-03 13:48:57 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.
Why did you think it rude? IIUC lot's of people go to a virtual pub
together (byob), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a virtual meal
together (bring your own pasta). Am I white and fluffy?
Oh the shame! Where did that apostrophe come from? I'll hand myself in
to the #ApostrophePolice
Steve Hague
2020-07-06 07:29:56 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.
Why did you think it rude? IIUC lot's of people go to a virtual pub
together (byob), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a virtual meal
together (bring your own pasta). Am I white and fluffy?
Oh the shame! Where did that apostrophe come from? I'll hand myself in
to the #ApostrophePolice
You're nicked my son, but we realise that society is to blame, so we'll
be nicking them too.
Apostrophe Superintendent Steve
BrritSki
ITYM Apo'strophe 'Superintendent...
Penny
2020-07-03 15:57:16 UTC
On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 14:04:41 +0100, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.
Why did you think it rude? IIUC lot's of people go to a virtual pub
together (byob), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a virtual meal
together (bring your own pasta). Am I white and fluffy?
I don't know what others do.
I did try cooking while on a video call with family. I couldn't hear them
because of the noises my kitchen makes and they couldn't hear each other
for the same reason :(
2020-07-04 12:53:49 UTC
in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
Now I've probably got that completely wrong (is that sort of visiting now
allowed in England?) and it was actually some form of video call in which
case he was just being very rude, or possibly just boring in only talking
about sport.
Why did you think it rude? IIUC lot's of people go to a virtual pub
together (byob), it doesn't seem unreasonable to have a virtual meal
together (bring your own pasta). Am I white and fluffy?
I don't know what others do.
I did try cooking while on a video call with family. I couldn't hear them
because of the noises my kitchen makes and they couldn't hear each other
for the same reason :(
Lizzie quite rightly expected a two way chat: not a fill in while I cook
and eat some nosh conversation. Not as if he’s a close friend in a hurry
between shifts. A very silly way to remind us of a not heard character.

2020-07-03 13:21:09 UTC
[...]
It was a zoom call Ifti asked Lizzie. Otherwise, completely right. My
thoughts entirely.

Freddie has spent hours thinking he’s a first rate plumber but he hadn’t
fixed his mum’s en suite by the time Ifty zoomed in.

HTH

2020-07-03 16:04:55 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Freddie has spent hours thinking he’s a first rate plumber but he hadn’t
fixed his mum’s en suite by the time Ifty zoomed in.
Um, I think the problem was her's was the only loo working.

That still makes no sense to me. I grew up in a house with 4 loos (one was
outside), unusual at the time but it was a 4 bedroom house not a flipping
great stately home which is surely better appointed? Maybe not when built,
I have read Nancy Mitford, but by this stage of the 21st century when the
lady of the house is Lizzie who demanded an en suite in her parents' home
while in her teens.
2020-07-04 07:59:26 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Freddie has spent hours thinking he’s a first rate plumber but he hadn’t
fixed his mum’s en suite by the time Ifty zoomed in.
Um, I think the problem was her's was the only loo working.
That still makes no sense to me. I grew up in a house with 4 loos (one was
outside), unusual at the time but it was a 4 bedroom house not a flipping
great stately home which is surely better appointed? Maybe not when built,
I have read Nancy Mitford, but by this stage of the 21st century when the
lady of the house is Lizzie who demanded an en suite in her parents' home
while in her teens.
Indeed, and have "they" forgotten that when Julia was there she had a
bedroom with an en-suite, later lived in by Jill when she stayed for a
time. Presumably this room was still within the supposed flat and wasn't
the bedroom that Lizzie has, since she and Nigel were living there during
Julia's residence.
2020-07-04 12:53:50 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Plus, unless, they’ve locked off the hotel, each room is en suite. Or am I
thinking the hotel is in a separate building not an integrated extension to
the original house?

2020-07-04 15:42:37 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Sincerely Chris
AFAIR, they converted a building (barn or something) for the accommodation.
Lizzie had to get approval from the trustees.
2020-07-04 16:38:26 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Let her off having ‘x’ number of loos to hand then.

2020-07-05 13:38:04 UTC
they converted a building (barn or something) for the accommodation.
Former stables I think.