Drinks
2020-06-18 11:29:27 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.

I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).

Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070

Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
2020-06-18 11:51:17 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
That's an excellent idea! I'll aim to be there with you :)
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
(Rabindranath Tagore)
Vicky Ayech

Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Mike
2020-06-18 14:10:48 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
I’m a newbie to this malarky, have now installed app on iPad; do I click on
your link just before 20:00 on Saturday - or do I click now to set summat
up please?
2020-06-18 14:22:22 UTC
[...]
If you've installed the app, all you need to do is pour a drink and click
on the link at about 8 on Saturday. :-)
2020-06-18 14:44:35 UTC
[...]
Thank you Sally, I’ll probably have a second* daily cup of Belgium choccie
drink on this occasion!

*my usual choccie drink is at 15: 00 or thereabouts.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-06-18 15:48:37 UTC
I believe the solsticial sunrise at Stonehenge will be relayed - not sure whether Youtube or elsewhere. One of my ss-ii-ll intends watching.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-06-18 15:53:20 UTC
Facebook, I think.
Chris McMillan
2020-06-18 16:54:12 UTC
[...]
Better find the tee shirts. Not sure we’ll be able to stay outside but we
must at least start there if not raining.

2020-06-18 16:54:11 UTC
[...]
It’s OK. I’ll try not to mess this one up. :). Thanks for making it easy.
It’s on my computer diary so I don’t lose it.

Sincerely Chris
Jane Vernon

2020-06-18 19:11:36 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Many people are very cautious about installing Zoom because the
company are still running hard to catch up with security issues (and I
do not just mean gatecrashers and dickphoto-posters) One safeguard
would be to boot up a "live" Linux session from a free DVD or memory
stick and run Zoom from there. Instead of the app, Zoom will offer
their web-based version and when the session is over, switching the
machine off will leave the computer exactly as it was before you
started with no unwanted cookies or little "extras."

I tried that approach out this morning and it seems to work. Whether
it will do so on Saturday remains to be seen!

2020-06-18 16:21:20 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Nick
Have a good time on Saturday. I am having to do enough Zoom / Teams
meetings for the charities at the moment that I am not keen on adding
another one.

Don't drink too much.
2020-06-18 16:54:12 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Oh good, international element still.

2020-06-18 22:45:48 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 16:11:36 -0300, Nick Odell wrote:

[]
Many people are very cautious about installing Zoom because the company
are still running hard to catch up with security issues (and I do not
just mean gatecrashers and dickphoto-posters) One safeguard would be to
boot up a "live" Linux session from a free DVD or memory stick and run
Zoom from there. Instead of the app, Zoom will offer their web-based
version and when the session is over, switching the machine off will
leave the computer exactly as it was before you started with no unwanted
cookies or little "extras."
I tried that approach out this morning and it seems to work. Whether it
will do so on Saturday remains to be seen!
Ah - hadn't thought of that. Good batting, Thinkman.
Min
2020-06-18 23:23:12 UTC
Many people are very cautious about installing Zoom because the company
are still running hard to catch up with security issues (and I do not
just mean gatecrashers and dickphoto-posters) One safeguard would be to
boot up a "live" Linux session from a free DVD or memory stick and run
Zoom from there. Instead of the app, Zoom will offer their web-based
version and when the session is over, switching the machine off will
leave the computer exactly as it was before you started with no unwanted
cookies or little "extras."
I tried that approach out this morning and it seems to work. Whether it
will do so on Saturday remains to be seen!
Ah - hadn't thought of that. Good batting, Thinkman.
Given that its a Watsapp thing, I too have refused to load up Zoom, but I will
Give It A Go for umra.
Min
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-19 20:33:15 UTC
Many people are very cautious about installing Zoom because the company
are still running hard to catch up with security issues (and I do not
just mean gatecrashers and dickphoto-posters) One safeguard would be to
boot up a "live" Linux session from a free DVD or memory stick and run
Zoom from there. Instead of the app, Zoom will offer their web-based
version and when the session is over, switching the machine off will
leave the computer exactly as it was before you started with no unwanted
cookies or little "extras."
That might well be beyond a lot of UMRAts - quite possibly including me!
(Though from the one time I have used it so far - my brother invited me
to one with him, to use as a guinea-pig to see what his
not-mother-in-law might see, I _do_ appear to have something which when
run gives me a button "join a meeting", so I'll see you there.)

Doesn't Zoom offer a web (i. e. browser) interface?

(Does Zoom use a central server somewhere [like I believe TeamViewer
does], or does it run entirely on users' machines? Not important - I'm
just curious. [All together: "we've known that for some time."])
Post by steveski
I tried that approach out this morning and it seems to work. Whether it
will do so on Saturday remains to be seen!
Ah - hadn't thought of that.
Good batting, Thinkman.
Wonderful!

Now, decision: do I retain my "wild man" look, or brush my hair!

[Good thing I re-read the invitation: my brain had latched onto "longest
day", so I'd have been there on Sunday. (I take it the 20th is the
longest day this year, unusually.)]

Find out what works. Then do it. That's my system. I'm always surprised it
isn't more popular. - Scott Adams, 2015
Sid Nuncius
2020-06-18 17:54:36 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Excellent idea, Sally, but I'm afraid I don't do Zoom. Have a good one,
MOPsMOBs.
2020-06-18 22:42:59 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join
in, just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at
any time after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to
myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in
the waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Excellent idea, Sally, but I'm afraid I don't do Zoom. Have a good one,
MOPsMOBs.
Oh, come on Sid :-) I'm hugely paranoid as you know, but I'm going to
install Zoom for this one thing (and then, probably, immediately
uninstall it and clean all the crap out) because it's not often that UMRA
gets together and it might be fun.
2020-06-18 19:23:10 UTC
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Brill! I hope to be there.
Wrexham, UK
a l l y
2020-06-19 07:52:51 UTC
Hi gang! I shall try to be there. Our broadband is so lousy just now (much
worse than usual) that things like zoom meetings tend to freeze up on me. We
had a very small one last week with maybe 8 people max - and I was late so
didn't have time to set up my camera so it was audio only - but it was
horrible (not the participants, who are good friends!). Images froze, audio
stuttered, I couldn't figure out when to speak. People asked if I was still
there! I know I need to move to another isp as TalkTalk are not a helpful
company, and if I'm going to upgrade to superfast fibre, I'm not giving them
my money.

And the other thing is, if it turns out to be a nice evening, I might still
be on the beach with the dog at 8 o'clock! But I really want to pop in.
There's a whole bunch of umrats I've never met in real life, and I'd really
like to see you! (Can you do zoom on a phone while you're walking? Is this
feasible?)

ally

PS - the other, other thing ... during my stuttery zoom meeting with
friends, I managed to knock a glass of wine over my keyboard. Am I safe with
zoom at all? Or safe with wine?
2020-06-19 09:18:30 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Via the phone its audio only, you dial a London standard number. Standard
charges.

HTH
Sally Thompson
2020-06-19 11:01:49 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Via the phone its audio only, you dial a London standard number. Standard
charges.
HTH
No Chris, some friends do Zoom with audio and video on their phones. If you
have the app you don't dial a number at all. The only difference is that
they only see one person at a time on the small screen, whereas on a laptop
or tablet you can have gallery view and see everyone as little pictures.
2020-06-19 12:06:22 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Both of you are right. If you have a smartphone, you can use the app
and have both audio and video. From a dumbphone (whether mobile or
landline) you can dial in, as Chris suggested, and just have audio. The
Quaker meetings I've been part of generally have a couple of people
who've dialed in. They can neither see nor be seen (their tile just has
a phone icon and their phone number displayed[1]) but they can hear and
be heard.

[1] I think the host does have the option of changing this to their name
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
No one can have experienced to the fullest the true sense of achievement
and satisfaction who has never pursued and successfully caught his tail.
(Rosalind Welcher)
Chris McMillan
2020-06-20 11:00:45 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
My confusion, I had to do an audio only via zoom meeting to save bandwidth
and it didn’t work for me: not sure why to this day so I went via a
landline and standard charges. Likewise, instructions for our church is
for landline only for non-computer users.

I really don’t understand the mechanics of ‘the hows’ any more than I do
iphones.

2020-06-20 11:51:43 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Though Serena says that this is indeed possible. I must research the
mechanics of it for another group I host where one member won't install
Zoom (she doesn't use email either!) and since it's a Latin class she's
missing out. I'll see if she can join by phone.
2020-06-20 17:52:15 UTC
I must research the
mechanics of it for another group I host where one member won't install
Zoom (she doesn't use email either!)
I've realised (perhaps belatedly) that I must stop complaining about the
prevalence of Facebook because by refusing to use it I am, I now think,
putting myself in the same camp as those who refused to use telephones
or ranted about the presence of cars on the roads when cars and 'phones
were fairly new things.

There was a time when it would have been unreasonable to expect everyone
(or nearly everyone) to have access to a telephone and I think it's now
getting to the stage where it is more unreasonable of me to refuse to
use FB than it is for others to expect me to use it. I remember a time
in the late 1950's when my father ranted about one of my school teachers
not being on the telephone.
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-20 18:35:29 UTC
I must research the
mechanics of it for another group I host where one member won't install
Zoom (she doesn't use email either!)
I've realised (perhaps belatedly) that I must stop complaining about
the prevalence of Facebook because by refusing to use it I am, I now
think, putting myself in the same camp as those who refused to use
telephones or ranted about the presence of cars on the roads when cars
and 'phones were fairly new things.
Unlike, I think, a lot of people who don't use it: I don't hate
Facebook, nor people who do. It seems to both give much enjoyment, and
to be genuinely useful.

What I _don't_ like about it is just the way the user interface _works_:
it won't keep still, loading endlessly. And of course it's
newest-at-top; I can live with that, though I don't like it - Twitter is
the same, and I _do_ manage that (though it's inconsistent: "Show this
thread" gives a much more logical reading order. And linked tweets in
the normal timeline require a ratchet mode of reading).
Post by Jenny M Benson
There was a time when it would have been unreasonable to expect
everyone (or nearly everyone) to have access to a telephone and I think
it's now getting to the stage where it is more unreasonable of me to
refuse to use FB than it is for others to expect me to use it. I
remember a time in the late 1950's when my father ranted about one of
my school teachers not being on the telephone.
I wouldn't worry about it: social media changes extremely rapidly. I
rather get the impression that Twitter and Facebook are actually passé,
with WhatsApp, Grindr (sp?), Zoopla, and one or two others replacing
them - but what's _really_ current is something I've not heard of, let
alone learnt the name for. _Some_ of that is due to the desire of some
of the young not to be on whatever their parents are on (I heard someone
today - I think it was on Click - say: if you're wondering why your kids
aren't on Facebook - it's because you _are_), and some just the desire
to always be using the latest.

If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an empty
desk mean ?
Chris McMillan
2020-06-22 09:04:55 UTC
I must research the
mechanics of it for another group I host where one member won't install
Zoom (she doesn't use email either!)
I've realised (perhaps belatedly) that I must stop complaining about the
prevalence of Facebook because by refusing to use it I am, I now think,
putting myself in the same camp as those who refused to use telephones
or ranted about the presence of cars on the roads when cars and 'phones
were fairly new things.
There was a time when it would have been unreasonable to expect everyone
(or nearly everyone) to have access to a telephone and I think it's now
getting to the stage where it is more unreasonable of me to refuse to
use FB than it is for others to expect me to use it. I remember a time
in the late 1950's when my father ranted about one of my school teachers
not being on the telephone.
Lovely to see you, Jenny.

Mrs McT
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-22 09:16:12 UTC
On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:04:55 GMT, Chris McMillan
There was a time when it would have been unreasonable to expect everyone
(or nearly everyone) to have access to a telephone and I think it's now
getting to the stage where it is more unreasonable of me to refuse to
use FB than it is for others to expect me to use it. I remember a time
in the late 1950's when my father ranted about one of my school teachers
not being on the telephone.
Lovely to see you, Jenny.
You mean on zoom, not fb? Jenny let us know when you go to fb so we
can say hi and show you photos. :)
Nick Odell
2020-06-22 18:14:40 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 18:52:15 +0100, Jenny M Benson
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Jenny M Benson
I've realised (perhaps belatedly) that I must stop complaining about the
prevalence of Facebook because by refusing to use it I am, I now think,
putting myself in the same camp as those who refused to use telephones
or ranted about the presence of cars on the roads when cars and 'phones
were fairly new things.
There was a time when it would have been unreasonable to expect everyone
(or nearly everyone) to have access to a telephone and I think it's now
getting to the stage where it is more unreasonable of me to refuse to
use FB than it is for others to expect me to use it. I remember a time
in the late 1950's when my father ranted about one of my school teachers
not being on the telephone.
In my opinion it depends on the reasons.

Today, Liliana struggled, struggled, and struggled some more and
finally completed her first on-line grocery order and I realise that
if I ever get home again it is something I will have to learn to get
to grips with too. I shop in those places in real life, so why not?

But there are some places where I choose not shop, some businesses
whose practices I dislike, some organisations who behave in ways that
are unacceptable to me and I do not see why, just because they may be
popular with other people I should feel obliged to use them too.

Nick
Anne B
2020-06-22 21:05:23 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
[...]
I agree.

I do not buy from Amazon, partly because the only time I did try to do
so, for a Christmas present, it took them from September to April to
admit that they had never actually had the item in stock. And partly
because I like looking in real shops, and I like supporting local
businesses.

And I won't buy anything from any business that charges extra to deliver
to my postcode, claiming that it's not in 'mainland Scotland'. This is a
load of b*******, because I can actually walk, in about an hour, to a
house in another post code area where the surcharge is not levied, and
if I kept on walking like Felix I would eventually arrive at the
premises of the geographically challenged idiots who can't read a map
and don't understand what 'mainland' actually means. I wouldn't mind
waiting an extra day or two for things to arrive, but it is utterly
offensive to be charged extra, especially by businesses which are nearer
to here than they are to Land's End, where the surcharges don't apply.
The Royal Mail is obliged to deliver everywhere, including the islands,
at the same price. It is quite wrong of the government to allow couriers
to compete but not have to obey the same rules.

Anne B
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-19 09:29:46 UTC
Post by a l l y
PS - the other, other thing ... during my stuttery zoom meeting with
friends, I managed to knock a glass of wine over my keyboard. Am I safe
with zoom at all? Or safe with wine?
Just enjoy plenty of wine and you won't care!
Wrexham, UK
a l l y
2020-06-19 10:05:18 UTC
Oh I'll care. I love this keyboard - much more than wine. I'll clear the
table first, this time. I had too many cables scattered around the other
night, and things got tangled. When I've got it set up properly (we did
manage a zoom meeting previously that worked ok) I have my DSLR on a short
tripod beside my PC screen, and my stage mic and headphones plugged into the
computer itself. So there are a lot of cables to trip over, or catch one's
wineglass in.

Can't do much about the bandwidth though. But I'll try to be there at least!

ally
2020-06-19 10:46:10 UTC
Post by a l l y
I love this keyboard - much more than wine.
I wear the labels off keyboards so replacement comes around far too
often. I can never find one that I love.
2020-06-19 10:51:20 UTC
Post by a l l y
I love this keyboard - much more than wine.
I wear the labels off keyboards so replacement comes around far too
often. I can never find one that I love.
Most peeps manage to wear clothes; they are probably more practical than
wearing keyboard labels for this task.
a l l y
2020-06-19 11:02:58 UTC
This is a mechanical keyboard, aimed at gamers. It feels like a proper,
old-fashioned IBM keyboard (remember those, fellow touch-typists?) It's
brilliant for typing on. And it also has nice flashy lights under the keys,
which sort of cheers me up. I don't think the labels are capable of wearing
off - they are translucent letters in the black keys, so that the light
shines through. These sort of keyboards can cost quite a lot, and mine is
apparently a copy of one of the better ones, but I got it half price in Lidl
for £9.99! See why I love it?

ally
2020-06-19 21:53:17 UTC
Post by a l l y
This is a mechanical keyboard, aimed at gamers. It feels like a proper,
old-fashioned IBM keyboard (remember those, fellow touch-typists?) It's
brilliant for typing on. And it also has nice flashy lights under the
keys, which sort of cheers me up. I don't think the labels are capable
of wearing off - they are translucent letters in the black keys, so that
the light shines through. These sort of keyboards can cost quite a lot,
and mine is apparently a copy of one of the better ones, but I got it
half price in Lidl for £9.99! See why I love it?
They don't make keyboards like they used to - except for silly money.

Even the keyboards intended for use with desktop PCs seem to be
imitating the worst features of laptop keyboards (hardly any travel &
sort of scrunched together).
Min
2020-06-20 00:27:09 UTC
Post by a l l y
This is a mechanical keyboard, aimed at gamers. It feels like a proper,
old-fashioned IBM keyboard (remember those, fellow touch-typists?) It's
brilliant for typing on. And it also has nice flashy lights under the
keys, which sort of cheers me up. I don't think the labels are capable
of wearing off - they are translucent letters in the black keys, so that
the light shines through. These sort of keyboards can cost quite a lot,
and mine is apparently a copy of one of the better ones, but I got it
half price in Lidl for £9.99! See why I love it?
They don't make keyboards like they used to - except for silly money.
Even the keyboards intended for use with desktop PCs seem to be
imitating the worst features of laptop keyboards (hardly any travel &
sort of scrunched together).
I love my keyboard. It's washable.
Min
John Ashby
2020-06-20 04:19:20 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by a l l y
This is a mechanical keyboard, aimed at gamers. It feels like a proper,
old-fashioned IBM keyboard (remember those, fellow touch-typists?) It's
brilliant for typing on. And it also has nice flashy lights under the
keys, which sort of cheers me up. I don't think the labels are capable
of wearing off - they are translucent letters in the black keys, so that
the light shines through. These sort of keyboards can cost quite a lot,
and mine is apparently a copy of one of the better ones, but I got it
half price in Lidl for £9.99! See why I love it?
They don't make keyboards like they used to - except for silly money.
Even the keyboards intended for use with desktop PCs seem to be
imitating the worst features of laptop keyboards (hardly any travel &
sort of scrunched together).
I love my keyboard. It's washable.
Then surely you lave your keyboard.

2020-06-20 08:04:56 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by a l l y
This is a mechanical keyboard, aimed at gamers. It feels like a proper,
old-fashioned IBM keyboard (remember those, fellow touch-typists?) It's
brilliant for typing on. And it also has nice flashy lights under the
keys, which sort of cheers me up. I don't think the labels are capable
of wearing off - they are translucent letters in the black keys, so that
the light shines through. These sort of keyboards can cost quite a lot,
and mine is apparently a copy of one of the better ones, but I got it
half price in Lidl for £9.99! See why I love it?
They don't make keyboards like they used to - except for silly money.
Even the keyboards intended for use with desktop PCs seem to be
imitating the worst features of laptop keyboards (hardly any travel &
sort of scrunched together).
I love my keyboard. It's washable.
Then surely you lave your keyboard.
john
Needs a spare for washdays perhaps?
2020-06-20 14:02:39 UTC
Post by Min
I love my keyboard. It's washable.
Then surely you lave your keyboard.
john
Excellent!

(And Mike's "key worker" to Penny.)

I've tried (I think I have one somewhere) the roll-up rubbery keyboards,
but they're just tactile-ly wrong.

The best way to achieve immortality is by not dying.
Penny
2020-06-20 09:31:49 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 17:27:09 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
I love my keyboard. It's washable.
I remember the first time I washed a keyboard. Others on a newsgroup
(possibly this one) claimed to have stuck them in the dishwasher - I didn't
try that.

I had taken the school office computer home for half-term. It must have had
some built-in games on it, it was probably Windows 3.1 but I only used
WordPerfect on it. One of my daughters explored and managed to spill a
strawberry milkshake over the keyboard. I took the thing to bits (not too
much push/click construction then) and washed all the bits which didn't
look like they would suffer from such treatment, then put it in the airing
cupboard before reassembly.

Encouraged by the success of this I later fixed another keyboard (of my
own) using a metallic marker pen to mend a broken connection on the circuit
board under the keys.
2020-06-20 09:55:42 UTC
Post by Min
[...]
Does that make you a ‘Key worker’?
Rotflmao. A true umrat!
a l l y

2020-06-19 11:07:52 UTC
Post by a l l y
And the other thing is, if it turns out to be a nice evening, I might still
be on the beach with the dog at 8 o'clock! But I really want to pop in.
There's a whole bunch of umrats I've never met in real life, and I'd really
like to see you! (Can you do zoom on a phone while you're walking? Is this
feasible?)
You can certainly use a phone (see my reply to Chris); I've no idea whether
you can do that while walking. If you wanted a quick trial run, let me know
when you're next walking your dog and I don't mind sending you a one-off
invitation to try it out. Again, you will need the app on your phone.

Note to all: make sure you have audio on, and switch the view to gallery
view to see everyone and not just the speaker.

Trolls will be ejected without notice!
2020-06-20 11:00:46 UTC
Post by a l l y
And the other thing is, if it turns out to be a nice evening, I might still
be on the beach with the dog at 8 o'clock! But I really want to pop in.
There's a whole bunch of umrats I've never met in real life, and I'd really
like to see you! (Can you do zoom on a phone while you're walking? Is this
feasible?)
You can certainly use a phone (see my reply to Chris); I've no idea whether
you can do that while walking. If you wanted a quick trial run, let me know
when you're next walking your dog and I don't mind sending you a one-off
invitation to try it out. Again, you will need the app on your phone.
Note to all: make sure you have audio on, and switch the view to gallery
view to see everyone and not just the speaker.
Trolls will be ejected without notice!
Thanks for reminding me about gallery view.

Mrs McT
Tony Bryer
2020-06-19 11:57:29 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Enjoy: I'll spare myself getting up at 0500 on a winter's morning
Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Mike
2020-06-19 12:20:22 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Enjoy: I'll spare myself getting up at 0500 on a winter's morning
Call yourself an UMRAT???!!! ;-)))
2020-06-19 18:03:31 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Enjoy: I'll spare myself getting up at 0500 on a winter's morning
Call yourself an UMRAT???!!! ;-)))
Unless you yourself have had the experience of getting up for a chat
at five of a winter morning I do not think that is fair to Tony. I
have enough doubts about getting up at four in the afternoon here.

2020-06-19 15:19:21 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Well, I used to rise at 04:15, wash, dress, have breakfast and then set off
to walk 3.5 miles to work at 05:00 ready to start work at 06:00; I’ll admit
that the summer time was far more inviting and enjoyable than winter time
though. Did you not see the irony emoticon Nick?
2020-06-19 19:30:00 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
YAMartyFeldmanAICM4Yorkshiremen

2020-06-19 16:29:38 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:03:31 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Well, 8 is in the middle of our normal tv viewing time so is a bit
mean for B so I'd be happy to do half an hour at say 11, if you would
get up at 7? Would that work for others? What about dumrat?
Chris McMillan
2020-06-20 11:00:47 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
It was Sally’s call, Vicky.

2020-06-20 11:56:09 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Sorry, I picked 8 since most of us would have finished eating. I think 11
(I assume you mean at night?) is a bit late for a lot of us but if this
proves fun, we could always have a virtual coffee or something on another
date.
2020-06-20 12:52:38 UTC
On 20 Jun 2020 11:56:09 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Good idea. I was teaching small granddaughter a couplle of times a
week via zoom but she's back at school now and I miss her and miss
making the things to teach with.
Kate B
2020-06-20 14:22:14 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
I'm afraid we only start eating at 8, mostly because I refuse to start
cooking before 7 (there used to be a reason to be occupied and
incommunicado in the kitchen at 7, not so much now :( ) . But also I am
not good at Zoom and frequently drop out at meetings. I shall raise my
non-virtual glass to you all, though, as we sit down to eat.

Have a lovely time!
2020-06-20 18:05:42 UTC
Post by Kate B
I'm afraid we only start eating at 8, mostly because I refuse to start
cooking before 7 (there used to be a reason to be occupied and
incommunicado in the kitchen at 7, not so much now :( ) . But also I am
not good at Zoom and frequently drop out at meetings. I shall raise my
non-virtual glass to you all, though, as we sit down to eat.
Have a lovely time!
I'm in a similar position, I'm afraid. It's when I'm at my busiest
plying my evening care: cooking, looking after wofe, etc. Sorry not to
be joining you all, but I too will raise a real live glass to you all
when I sit down to eat. Enjoy the evening!
2020-06-22 09:04:56 UTC
Post by Kate B
I'm afraid we only start eating at 8, mostly because I refuse to start
cooking before 7 (there used to be a reason to be occupied and
incommunicado in the kitchen at 7, not so much now :( ) . But also I am
not good at Zoom and frequently drop out at meetings. I shall raise my
non-virtual glass to you all, though, as we sit down to eat.
Have a lovely time!
I'm in a similar position, I'm afraid. It's when I'm at my busiest
plying my evening care: cooking, looking after wofe, etc. Sorry not to
be joining you all, but I too will raise a real live glass to you all
when I sit down to eat. Enjoy the evening!
We’re all up for repeating the exercise at some other time of day. Longest
I’ve ever lasted on any Zoom event. Helped a lot by having McT’s iPad Pro
screen I may add. There was choccie. We met several cats as they flitted
by and we met “the Hounds”.

Mrs McT
Mike
2020-06-20 21:07:54 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Just finished our link-up, thanks everyone, must do it again soon!
2020-06-19 20:36:20 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 15:03:31, Nick Odell
Post by Tony Bryer
Enjoy: I'll spare myself getting up at 0500 on a winter's morning
Call yourself an UMRAT???!!! ;-)))
Unless you yourself have had the experience of getting up for a chat
at five of a winter morning I do not think that is fair to Tony. I
have enough doubts about getting up at four in the afternoon here.
Ah, so it isn't just me! Not sure if it's the effects of lock-in, or
just retirement, but I've had quite a few nights (days?) where I've
found myself sleeping from around (local time) 5-6 am, until around
noon.
John

Dumrat
2020-06-19 12:18:05 UTC
Great idea, Sally, you all have a lovely meet up! I'm afraid it's too late for me and
anyhow, our wifi is particularly rubbish at that time of night so Zoom probably wouldn't
work anyway!
Post by Sally Thompson
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
d***@gmail.com
2020-06-19 20:37:44 UTC
This sounds like a lovely idea. I have enjoyed several Umra BBQs in the past so I shall try to surface from my burrow and attempt to join you. Thank you for setting this up.

Pauline
(Formerly from Luton/Reading and now back in East Suffolk)
Chris McMillan
2020-06-20 11:00:47 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
This sounds like a lovely idea. I have enjoyed several Umra BBQs in the
past so I shall try to surface from my burrow and attempt to join you.
Thank you for setting this up.
Pauline
(Formerly from Luton/Reading and now back in East Suffolk)
Hope you make it, Pauline, you were at the very first one!

2020-06-20 22:34:57 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
This sounds like a lovely idea. I have enjoyed several Umra BBQs in the
past so I shall try to surface from my burrow and attempt to join you.
Thank you for setting this up.
Pauline
(Formerly from Luton/Reading and now back in East Suffolk)
It was good to see you, Pauline, you haven't changed a bit (how did you
manage that?).
2020-06-21 08:00:31 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
This sounds like a lovely idea. I have enjoyed several Umra BBQs in the
past so I shall try to surface from my burrow and attempt to join you.
Thank you for setting this up.
Pauline
(Formerly from Luton/Reading and now back in East Suffolk)
It was good to see you, Pauline, you haven't changed a bit (how did you
manage that?).
Summat to do with leaving Reading and now residing in Suffolk I think!
2020-06-21 08:08:17 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
This sounds like a lovely idea. I have enjoyed several Umra BBQs in the
past so I shall try to surface from my burrow and attempt to join you.
Thank you for setting this up.
Pauline
(Formerly from Luton/Reading and now back in East Suffolk)
It was good to see you, Pauline, you haven't changed a bit (how did you
manage that?).
Summat to do with leaving Reading and now residing in Suffolk I think!
Thank you for organising it, Anne. I really enjoyed meeting everyone
and hope we can do it again, drinks or maybe coffee at a time dumrat
and Kate and others who were not there can attand, as well as those
who were there :)
Min
2020-06-21 16:55:26 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 08:00:31 GMT, Mike
Post by d***@gmail.com
This sounds like a lovely idea. I have enjoyed several Umra BBQs in the
past so I shall try to surface from my burrow and attempt to join you.
Thank you for setting this up.
Pauline
(Formerly from Luton/Reading and now back in East Suffolk)
It was good to see you, Pauline, you haven't changed a bit (how did you
manage that?).
Summat to do with leaving Reading and now residing in Suffolk I think!
Thank you for organising it, Anne. I really enjoyed meeting everyone
and hope we can do it again, drinks or maybe coffee at a time dumrat
and Kate and others who were not there can attand, as well as those
who were there :)
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Hounds weren't impressed by the lateness
of their walk!
Min
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Anne B
2020-06-20 21:08:24 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
Thanks for that, Sally!

I am sorry I arrived so late, but I had only just read the message on
UMRA. It was good to 'meet' some more Umrats virtually face to face.

Anne B
Chris McMillan
2020-06-22 09:11:56 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Lovely to meet you after all these years. We’d never get as far as you
live.

Mrs McT
Anne B
2020-06-22 20:50:24 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Aye, it was good to 'meet' you too. I have been further from home than
Reading, but haven't been actually in or near Reading since the
Intervarsity Folk Dance Festival in nineteen-oatcake.

Anne B
Chris McMillan
2020-06-23 11:23:56 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Anne B
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
We like nineteen oatcake.

We have had a couple of holidays in N Scotland but were defeated by no
public transport even then.

Mrs McT

Jane Vernon
2020-06-21 07:33:44 UTC
Since Saturday will be the longest day in what seems to be the longest
year, I have scheduled a virtual drinks for us all via Zoom, from 8pm.
Please bring your own bottle. Dress is optional. If you want to join in,
just click on the link and download Zoom beforehand, and join at any time
after 8. If you all think the idea is rubbish, I will talk to myself.
I have set it so no password is required, but you will have to wait in the
waiting room till I let you in (oh, the power!).
Sally Thompson is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Umra Drinks
Time: Jun 20, 2020 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/2487461070
Meeting ID: 248 746 1070
That was fun, thank you very much for setting it up, Sally. I see
people went on quite late. Glad everyone else enjoyed it too.
--
Jane
BTME