Flickr
2018-11-07 15:03:05 UTC
This morning I have about 7500 photos on Flickr using about 3% of 1Tb of
free space (keyword in that sentence is "free"). Hopefully these are
all copies of photos I also hold locally but they are organised into
albums which are then linked back to my blog which is now awaiting a
year of updates.

Smugmug bought Flickr some months ago and promised "no changes".

This morning Flickr announced that "no changes" means the old "1 TB of
free space" actually means 1000 photographs and they will progressively
delete (in a month or so) the oldest ones until I am down to 1000.

Can our experts offer anywhere I can easily move the collection to for
the original price or am I forced to accept the $50 py offer (less 30%
for year 1) price to continue with Flickr.
2018-11-07 15:13:04 UTC
This morning I have about 7500 photos on Flickr using about 3% of 1Tb of
free space (keyword in that sentence is "free").  Hopefully these are
all copies of photos I also hold locally but they are organised into
albums which are then linked back to my blog which is now awaiting a
year of updates.
Smugmug bought Flickr some months ago and promised "no changes".
This morning Flickr announced that "no changes" means the old "1 TB of
free space" actually means 1000 photographs and they will progressively
delete (in a month or so) the oldest ones until I am down to 1000.
Can our experts offer anywhere I can easily move the collection to for
the original price or am I forced to accept the $50 py offer (less 30%
for year 1) price to continue with Flickr.
$50 will buy you a nice, external HDD. I refuse to have any truck with
these cloud services because, amongst other things, you don't know if
they - or your content - will be there tomorrow.

2018-11-07 15:35:31 UTC
On Wed, 07 Nov 2018 15:13:04 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

$50 will buy you a nice, external HDD. I refuse to have any truck with
these cloud services because, amongst other things, you don't know if
they - or your content - will be there tomorrow.
<extremely languid wave>
2018-11-07 16:03:40 UTC
$50 will buy you a nice, external HDD. I refuse to have any truck with
these cloud services because, amongst other things, you don't know if
they - or your content - will be there tomorrow.
<extremely languid wave>
I should say that I think all of the photos reside under my desk inside
my synology disk station (rather more than $50 but there are two
copies). Flickr provides a quick way of finding said images as they
relate to holiday blog.

And I do have my own domain (with enough storage space) and this could
provide storage space but not all of the neat organisation or links to
the blog (which is on the domain) for the albums which are typically
done as I upload thanks to Photini.
2018-11-07 19:12:59 UTC
$50 will buy you a nice, external HDD. I refuse to have any truck with
these cloud services because, amongst other things, you don't know if
they - or your content - will be there tomorrow.
<extremely languid wave>
<And another>
Furthermore, with my files on an EHD (actually on 2 for backup, with
music on both and also on a 3rd for portability) I am fairly confident
that no-one else can gain access to them by hacking any account of mine,
especially as the HDDs are disconnected most of the time. It's not that
there's anything especially secret there, but it's my private stuff and
I like to be confident that it will stay private.
2018-11-07 20:03:53 UTC
$50 will buy you a nice, external HDD. I refuse to have any truck with
these cloud services because, amongst other things, you don't know if
they - or your content - will be there tomorrow.
<extremely languid wave>
<And another>
Furthermore, with my files on an EHD (actually on 2 for backup, with
music on both and also on a 3rd for portability) I am fairly confident
that no-one else can gain access to them by hacking any account of mine,
especially as the HDDs are disconnected most of the time. It's not that
there's anything especially secret there, but it's my private stuff and
I like to be confident that it will stay private.
<another extremely languid wave>

I have three drives in different machines for triple redundancy (famous
last words :-) ) which all contain the same files as back up and they're
*mine*; not some crackable server in I don't know where.
2018-11-07 20:54:10 UTC
[...]
In the famous last words department, a friend of mine constructed a RAID
assembly of I-don't-know-how-many-6?8?10? drives knowing that built in
redundancy would ensure that if one drive failed the information it
contained would continue to be spread between and duplicated by the
remaining drives. Even if two, three or four drives went down
(impossible to imagine, I know) the RAID software would shuffle the data
between the remaining ones and keep it safe.

The cabinet was struck by lightning.

2018-11-07 15:23:56 UTC
This morning I have about 7500 photos on Flickr using about 3% of 1Tb
of free space (keyword in that sentence is "free"). Hopefully these
So that's about 30G? About 4M an image?
Post by krw
are all copies of photos I also hold locally but they are organised
into albums which are then linked back to my blog which is now awaiting
a year of updates.
Smugmug bought Flickr some months ago and promised "no changes".
This morning Flickr announced that "no changes" means the old "1 TB of
free space" actually means 1000 photographs and they will progressively
delete (in a month or so) the oldest ones until I am down to 1000.
Can our experts offer anywhere I can easily move the collection to for
the original price or am I forced to accept the $50 py offer (less 30%
for year 1) price to continue with Flickr.
My first thought was just make composite images so each one actually
contains 8 images, but that wouldn't be practical for 7500 of them. My
second thought was register your own domain (which also makes your users
not have to suffer Flickr's scripts), which would cost less than that -
but (a) it probably wouldn't for 30G of space (b) if your "albuming"
involves crosslinks (same image in more than one album) you'd not get
that.

A quick look at who does my hosting -
https://www.tsohost.com/web-hosting - suggests they'll give you 15G for
2.92/mo or 50G for 6.59/mo (+ VAT), which while more than $50/y,
suggests that web storage is a lot cheaper than I thought, and that you
might find it elsewhere cheaper. (TSOhost's offering includes other
things, like lots of mailboxes.) I would say - at least if you can find
a cheaper place - that having your own domain storage is more
satisfying, certainly for your users, than most if not all of the "free"
image-storing sites, as they aren't presented with a page full of script
and in some cases adverts, tracking, and so on when they want to look at
one of your images.

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.