OT: slight spoiler 29/10 epi
2019-10-30 13:36:26 UTC
I couldn't catch the punchline of Carmen's joke about men and bras last
night, even after re-listening. Some of her earlier ones were a bit
fruity for R4 though pre-watershed.

Is there any possibility that Joe found an old Karmann Ghia at the back
of the cider shed that is worth a small fortune ?

<https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-3/>
carolet
2019-10-30 15:58:36 UTC
I couldn't catch the punchline of Carmen's joke about men and bras last
night, even after re-listening. Some of her earlier ones were a bit
fruity for R4 though pre-watershed.
Men are like bras, they're always hooking up behind your back.
Ah, thankyou, IHTA starting with an F and was sure it wasn't that :)
Chris McMillan
2019-10-30 19:20:52 UTC
I couldn't catch the punchline of Carmen's joke about men and bras
last night, even after re-listening. Some of her earlier ones were a
bit fruity for R4 though pre-watershed.
Men are like bras, they're always hooking up behind your back.
Ah, thankyou, IHTA starting with an F and was sure it wasn't that :)
Glad that plot’s been resolved.

2019-10-31 08:51:36 UTC
I couldn't catch the punchline of Carmen's joke about men and bras
last night, even after re-listening. Some of her earlier ones were a
bit fruity for R4 though pre-watershed.
Men are like bras, they're always hooking up behind your back.
Ah, thankyou, IHTA starting with an F and was sure it wasn't that :)
Glad that plot’s been resolved.
Sincerely Chris
I like to keep abreast of plot lines.
Min
2019-10-30 22:52:03 UTC
I couldn't catch the punchline of Carmen's joke about men and bras
last night, even after re-listening. Some of her earlier ones were a
bit fruity for R4 though pre-watershed.
Men are like bras, they're always hooking up behind your back.
Ah, thankyou, IHTA starting with an F and was sure it wasn't that :)
Do you know the number one cause of washing machines breaking down? Bra underwires escaping. But, such has been the ubiquitous C*lg*n advertising, it is nearly impossible to convince a team that the answer is not limescale....
Min
Min
Min
Fenny
2019-10-31 23:28:23 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 15:53:11 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Do you know the number one cause of washing machines breaking down?
Bra underwires escaping.
Is this why my washing machines tend to last a fair while. I eschew
underwires at all costs.
2019-11-01 08:13:23 UTC
Post by Min
Do you know the number one cause of washing machines breaking down?
Bra underwires escaping.
Is this why my washing machines tend to last a fair while. I eschew
underwires at all costs.
You mean you are without any invisible means of support?

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-11-01 22:33:09 UTC
Post by Min
Do you know the number one cause of washing machines breaking down?
Bra underwires escaping.
Is this why my washing machines tend to last a fair while. I eschew
underwires at all costs.
You mean you are without any invisible means of support?
Plenty of support, just not the kind that digs uncomfortably into my
ribs. However, Nike sports bras are not very good. Erratic sizing and
badly fitting. I wouldn't recommend them.

I miss BHS.
2019-11-02 06:08:04 UTC
Post by Fenny
I miss BHS.
<languid wave>

(Not for bras in my case, but for lots of other things.)
2019-11-04 14:05:05 UTC
Post by Fenny
Erratic sizing
Oh, don't get me started on clothing sizing! Too late, you have
already. YOYOY cannot "they" standardize the sizing of clothes sold in
this country?

I have recently-ish lost a lot of weight (deliberately, not ill -health)
and consequently am now *usually* able to buy stuff from Bon Marché
which is 2 sizes smaller than what I have been buying from them for
years. I am also able now, *sometimes* to be able to shop in
otherplaces. But the trousers bought in Tesco, which are nominally a
size larger than I buy in BM, are not quite big enough; trousers bought
in M & S are nominally the same size as the Tesco ones and just about
fit. The ones bought in I-forget-where which are one pair as BM and one
pair as T and M & S are *far* too small. There is also the pair from BM
which *should* fit and are way too small.

(I am hanging on to all the too-small ones in the hope that they will
fit eventually!)
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike
2019-11-04 14:35:06 UTC
Post by Fenny
[...]
More Bon Voyage now and wave goodbye to Mothercare at the same time.
2019-11-04 15:45:42 UTC
Post by Fenny
[...]
Well done you! As for Bon Marche, will they actually survive?

2019-11-04 19:37:53 UTC
Oh, don't get me started on clothing sizing!  Too late, you have
already.  YOYOY cannot "they" standardize the sizing of clothes sold in
this country?
Even within one manufacturer they can be pretty erratic. Once I ordered
two pairs of jeans, from Next. Both pairs were Next's own brand, the
same size and same basic cut; just the detailed styling and colour were
different. Both pairs had to go back, one pair because they were too
large, while the other pair were too small.
I have recently-ish lost a lot of weight (deliberately, not ill -health)
Well done!
The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than
those who try to do nothing and succeed. (Lloyd Jones)
Penny
2019-11-05 09:20:30 UTC
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 14:05:05 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Post by Fenny
[...]
I sometimes used to shop in a dress agency (posh second-hand) in Wye where
I learnt that the posher (more expensive) the brand, the larger the sizes.
I thought of myself as a size 18 at the time (mostly shopping in BHS) but
in Jaeger that might be a 14.

I don't know if these things are the same now but sizing has definitely
changed. If you buy direct from China, even after studying their size
guide, IME everything is too small.
2019-11-09 11:37:22 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Fenny
[...]
The additional problem to the lack of standard sizes (about which I
have ranted many times) is that "fashion" dictates that certain styles
are cut smaller. I see the girls walking to school in the morning in
what I would consider to be a younger sibling's trousers - too tight
and 4" too short. Unfortunately, this is how they are intended to be
worn. IMO, they are neither stylish nor flattering. However, they are
the fashion!

I like trousers with pockets. Pockets should be of a decent size and
should sit flat against the body. Pockets should not gape from the
hips, as this indicates that the trousers are too small and the
pockets badly fitted and that putting anything in the pockets would be
impossible.
2019-11-09 21:06:55 UTC
Post by Fenny
I like trousers with pockets. Pockets should be of a decent size and
should sit flat against the body. Pockets should not gape from the
hips, as this indicates that the trousers are too small and the
pockets badly fitted and that putting anything in the pockets would be
impossible.
Despite that, I'm amazed at how people manage to get their phone into a
hip pocket - that doesn't look up to holding a paper tissue.
(How many phones get crunched when they're sat upon?)
2019-11-10 08:38:20 UTC
Post by Fenny
I like trousers with pockets. Pockets should be of a decent size and
should sit flat against the body. Pockets should not gape from the
hips, as this indicates that the trousers are too small and the
pockets badly fitted and that putting anything in the pockets would be
impossible.
Despite that, I'm amazed at how people manage to get their phone into a
hip pocket - that doesn't look up to holding a paper tissue.
(How many phones get crunched when they're sat upon?)
A real bummer that...
2019-11-01 15:39:19 UTC
Post by Min
Do you know the number one cause of washing machines breaking down?
Bra underwires escaping.
Is this why my washing machines tend to last a fair while. I eschew
underwires at all costs.
Yes, Wunderkind was my culprit.