totally OT - third attempt at balance petition.
2018-11-13 13:10:29 UTC
With apologies to UMRAts who must be bored by this.

I've finally (they took their time!) received a reply from the petitions jobsworths, saying they'd accept the following. It's a _much_ more
limited version than what I wanted, but if it's the only way it's going to see the light of day, I guess we'd better go with it ... I need five
supporters before they'll even release it. So if you can click, I'd be most obliged ... (and of course forward to anyone you think might agree!)
[]
I've made a petition – will you sign it?
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770/sponsors/new?token=WeHH6XMoNXGJHv7bnVW8
Replace petition.parliament.uk with a site that collects votes for and
against
Frequently, petitions and similar are reported as having collected so >many thousand votes. This only represents one side: without knowing how
strong the opposing feeling is, the true public opinion can be >misreported - and, decision-makers can be pushed into actions the >majority
don't actually want.
A petition is arguably the modern version of the pitchfork-wielding >mob; it's very easy for individuals or groups to whip up strong
feelings. Those opposing the motion feel disenfranchised - there is no >*simple* and *immediate* way to register their opposition; they can
only set up a counter-petition, which is liable to be rejected, or at >least involves a delay, thus giving unfair advantage to the first
petition.
--
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770/sponsors/new?token=WeHH>6XMoNXGJHv7bnVW8

Never rely on somebody else for your happiness.
- Bette Davis, quoted by Celia Imrie, RT 2014/3/12-18
Serena Blanchflower
2018-11-13 13:32:44 UTC
With apologies to UMRAts who must be bored by this.
I've finally (they took their time!) received a reply from the petitions
jobsworths, saying they'd accept the following. It's a _much_ more
limited version than what I wanted, but if it's the only way it's going
to see the light of day, I guess we'd better go with it ... I need five
supporters before they'll even release it. So if you can click, I'd be
most obliged ... (and of course forward to anyone you think might agree!)
I think that's the best version yet and it's one that I'm happy to
support (and have signed).
Q. Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?
A. To get to the same side.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-11-13 13:55:29 UTC
In message <***@brightview.co.uk>, Serena
Blanchflower <***@blanchflower.me.uk> writes:
I think that's the best version yet and it's one that I'm happy to
support (and have signed).
Thank you very much!
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Replace petition.parliament.uk with a site that collects votes for and
against

There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known -
Danny Baker
Chris J Dixon
2018-11-13 19:43:42 UTC
I think that's the best version yet and it's one that I'm happy to
support (and have signed).
Likewise.

***@cdixon.me.uk