OT: Gin bloom
Jenny M Benson
2018-04-27 10:59:32 UTC
My sister has just e-mailed me, asking if I remember my father referring
to (particularly food) stains on one's clothing as "gin bloom" and
wondering where the expression came from. I remember it well, but
Goggling the phrase just brings up hundreds of pages on the Bloom Gin brand.

Does anyrat know the phrase or know its origin?
--
Jenny M Benson
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Penny
2018-04-27 13:34:57 UTC
On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 11:59:32 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
My sister has just e-mailed me, asking if I remember my father referring
to (particularly food) stains on one's clothing as "gin bloom" and
wondering where the expression came from. I remember it well, but
Goggling the phrase just brings up hundreds of pages on the Bloom Gin brand.
Does anyrat know the phrase or know its origin?
Not found in any of my slang dictionaries or Brewers.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-27 17:59:55 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jenny M Benson
My sister has just e-mailed me, asking if I remember my father referring
to (particularly food) stains on one's clothing as "gin bloom" and
wondering where the expression came from. I remember it well, but
Goggling the phrase just brings up hundreds of pages on the Bloom Gin brand.
Does anyrat know the phrase or know its origin?
Not found in any of my slang dictionaries or Brewers.
Brewers would seem very appropriate (well, distillers, but that's
splitting hairs ...); I wonder if Rex (or Kenton?) might know.

Maybe it was one of your father's own invention? We have several in our
family, often initialisms like nacits and poohm.

You _could_ ask the genealogists - they're not bad on history; or APIHNA
might know. (Or AUE/AEU, if you can stand the heat in there.)

/Downton Abbey/ presented a version of the past that appealed to anyone who
had ever bought a National Trust tea towel. - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-27 17:56:10 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
My sister has just e-mailed me, asking if I remember my father referring
to (particularly food) stains on one's clothing as "gin bloom" and
wondering where the expression came from.  I remember it well, but
Goggling the phrase just brings up hundreds of pages on the Bloom Gin brand.
Does anyrat know the phrase or know its origin?
Can't help with that, but I suspect that their second album was rubbish.
Mike
2018-04-27 18:23:00 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Jenny M Benson
My sister has just e-mailed me, asking if I remember my father referring
to (particularly food) stains on one's clothing as "gin bloom" and
wondering where the expression came from.  I remember it well, but
Goggling the phrase just brings up hundreds of pages on the Bloom Gin brand.
Does anyrat know the phrase or know its origin?
Can't help with that, but I suspect that their second album was rubbish.
Yes, probably a load of botanicals!
Toodle Pip
Flop
2018-04-27 18:53:05 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
My sister has just e-mailed me, asking if I remember my father referring
to (particularly food) stains on one's clothing as "gin bloom" and
wondering where the expression came from.  I remember it well, but
Goggling the phrase just brings up hundreds of pages on the Bloom Gin brand.
Does anyrat know the phrase or know its origin?
Not unless it is:-

"The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin
in the steam iron.

Phyllis Diller Quotes
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”