Is Dave Gorman an Umrat?
2019-10-29 16:29:10 UTC
Anyrat who has seen his latest show on Dave will know why I think he
might be lurking!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2019-10-29 17:22:55 UTC
On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 16:29:10 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Anyrat who has seen his latest show on Dave will know why I think he
might be lurking!
Yes, but which Dave Gorman?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Dave_Gorman%3F

I saw one of the other Dave Gormans in concert a couple of years back.
I'd actually gone to see the headline act he was supporting. That he
was supporting a headline act ought to have been a clue to fans of the
"real" Dave Gorman who were obviously disappointed to find they were
watching this Dave Gorman.

I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)

2019-10-29 21:07:51 UTC
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary. He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently. Of
course, now I want to cite an example I can't think of any, but one of
the Umratic ones (which sticks in my mind because I saw an advert for
one in a shop window once) was "Chester Draws."

DG then came up with the brilliant idea of a game based on one you
probably haven't seen either, Nick, where contestants were required to
watch an animated cartoon and guess the Catchphrase name of the show)
being depicted. Only in DG's version, the depiction was of the
mis-spelled version.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2019-10-29 22:29:36 UTC
On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 21:07:51 +0000, Jenny M Benson
[...]
It sounds like great fun - but then I think DG is always amusing
even/especially when he is making a point.

I think the other Dave Gorman may have sat next to me on a southbound
National Express coach a few months ago. He got on with instruments
and a couple of other musicians and I think it was him.

What I ought to have asked him was whether I might have seen him play
in York a couple of years previously. At the time, the only thing I
could think of asking him was: are you Dave Gorman?

So of course I sat there and said nothing. If he had been Dave Gorman
it would have been fine but imagine what it would have been like for
an innocent othername twenty year old having to spend hours sitting
next to some ancient old bloke who thinks you are a stand-up comedian
in his late forties.

Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
Penny
2019-10-30 18:22:36 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:32:07 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
2019-10-30 18:45:26 UTC
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
But you and me know better!

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-30 19:30:59 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
But you and me know better!
She was just giving a feedline to you and I.
2019-10-31 08:13:37 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
But you and me know better!
She was just giving a feedline to you and I.
It amazes me how consistently people get this wrong, to the point
that I reckon we are past the moment when it will be done
correctly most of the time.

Even when reading off an autocue, presenters use the wrong word.
Doesn't anybody understand anymore?

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-31 08:16:23 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
But you and me know better!
She was just giving a feedline to you and I.
It amazes me how consistently people get this wrong, to the point that I
reckon we are past the moment when it will be done correctly most of the
time.
Perhaps you could let myself know when the situation improves.
2019-10-31 10:06:41 UTC
On 31 Oct 2019 08:16:23 GMT, Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Chris J Dixon
But you and me know better!
She was just giving a feedline to you and I.
It amazes me how consistently people get this wrong, to the point that I
reckon we are past the moment when it will be done correctly most of the
time.
Perhaps you could let myself know when the situation improves.
Nugger! Yourself beat myself to that one.
Autoqueue shirley ?
Sam Plusnet
2019-10-31 20:42:26 UTC
Autoqueue shirley ?
Interesting name.
How did you come across her Brritters?
2019-10-31 20:43:26 UTC
Autoqueue shirley ?
Interesting name.
How did you come across her Brritters?
It was something I read up on.
Unfortunately it was caught on camera.
Penny
2019-10-31 22:50:37 UTC
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 20:43:26 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Autoqueue shirley ?
Interesting name.
How did you come across her Brritters?
It was something I read up on.
Unfortunately it was caught on camera.
If you read up you were going backwards.
2019-11-01 08:10:56 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Chris J Dixon
But you and me know better!
She was just giving a feedline to you and I.
It amazes me how consistently people get this wrong, to the point
that I reckon we are past the moment when it will be done
correctly most of the time.
Even when reading off an autocue, presenters use the wrong word.
Doesn't anybody understand anymore?
Autoqueue shirley ?
Only if this is what you want:

<https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/autoqueue>

Looks like it is something to do with Minecraft.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-31 09:26:01 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Chris J Dixon
But you and me know better!
She was just giving a feedline to you and I.
It amazes me how consistently people get this wrong, to the point
that I reckon we are past the moment when it will be done
correctly most of the time.
Even when reading off an autocue, presenters use the wrong word.
Doesn't anybody understand anymore?
No, they don't. People seem to think that "I" is the more refined or
posher form of "me", to be used whenever there is a first person pronoun
used with "and <second or third person pronoun>, no matter what the case.

It's so widespread now that even an excellent book I've just read[1],
from a reputable publisher, has the narrative voice of an exceptionally
talented and well-read English graduate saying things like "to him and
I" throughout. And almost the only thing I remember about What She Left
(which was pretty bad) is a pedantic English academic "correcting"
someone thus:
"That stuff they've written about Alice and me, it's pure fantasy."
"Alice and I," I said. "It's Alice and I."
NO IT BOODLY ISN'T! What's so effing difficult about realising that
you'd never say "about I," and that the presence of the other person
doesn't make any difference?

Er...sorry. Matron will be along soon with the green ones.

Anyway, I agree that the battle is all but lost.

[1]My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell. Published in January and
highly recommended (odd bits of dodgy syntax notwithstanding). Review
here if anyone's interested:
https://sidsbookblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/kate-elizabeth-russell-my-dark-vanessa.html
2019-10-30 18:56:49 UTC
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
Talking of which, when I picked my 5yo from school this evening, on the
screen was a picture of a priest with items of clothing highlighted:
collar, cassock, surplus. I blame the teachers AND the parents - your
all to blame !
Mike
2019-10-30 19:02:09 UTC
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
Talking of which, when I picked my 5yo from school this evening, on the
collar, cassock, surplus. I blame the teachers AND the parents - your
all to blame !
Probably bought it from the Army Surplice store.
2019-10-30 22:52:37 UTC
Talking of which, when I picked my 5yo from school this evening, on the
collar, cassock, surplus. I blame the teachers AND the parents - your
all to blame !
Probably bought it from the Army Surplice store.
Chuckle!

But, seriously, was the teacher - or person who had put the graphic up,
so you could tell them. We can all chuckle or weep about such things,
but a _good_ teacher wouldn't mind being told.

I suppose a military chaplain _does_ wear an army surplice! I must ask
one. They've _probably_ heard it before, but it hadn't occurred to me
before now, so maybe not?

The early worm gets the bird.
steveski
2019-10-31 00:24:05 UTC
Talking of which, when I picked my 5yo from school this evening, on
the screen was a picture of a priest with items of clothing
highlighted: collar, cassock, surplus. I blame the teachers AND the
parents - your all to blame !
Probably bought it from the Army Surplice store.
Chuckle!
But, seriously, was the teacher - or person who had put the graphic up,
so you could tell them. We can all chuckle or weep about such things,
but a _good_ teacher wouldn't mind being told.
I suppose a military chaplain _does_ wear an army surplice! I must ask
one. They've _probably_ heard it before, but it hadn't occurred to me
before now, so maybe not?
Royal Navy chaplains have to buy theirs, at least partly, from their KUA
(Kit Upkeep Allowance). All Navy ranks and rates have to buy uniform kit
- it's not like the Army or RAF.
2019-10-31 08:36:01 UTC
Talking of which, when I picked my 5yo from school this evening, on
the screen was a picture of a priest with items of clothing
highlighted: collar, cassock, surplus. I blame the teachers AND the
parents - your all to blame !
Probably bought it from the Army Surplice store.
Chuckle!
But, seriously, was the teacher - or person who had put the graphic up,
so you could tell them. We can all chuckle or weep about such things,
but a _good_ teacher wouldn't mind being told.
I suppose a military chaplain _does_ wear an army surplice! I must ask
one. They've _probably_ heard it before, but it hadn't occurred to me
before now, so maybe not?
Royal Navy chaplains have to buy theirs, at least partly, from their KUA
(Kit Upkeep Allowance). All Navy ranks and rates have to buy uniform kit
- it's not like the Army or RAF.
Shorely, they should be claiming ‘clothing allowance’ from the taxman - who
probably pays it back in waves.
2019-10-31 08:49:10 UTC
Talking of which, when I picked my 5yo from school this evening, on the
collar, cassock, surplus. I blame the teachers AND the parents - your
all to blame !
Probably bought it from the Army Surplice store.
Chuckle!
But, seriously, was the teacher - or person who had put the graphic up,
so you could tell them. We can all chuckle or weep about such things,
but a _good_ teacher wouldn't mind being told.
I'm having to be a bit careful with what I say to teachers after a
misunderstanding with nortydorter which led me to contact a couple of
them about lack of dojo[1] points when ND thought she was going to tell
them.
ND is a teacher at same school and despite an English degree from
Sheffield didn't know the word surplice either. But she says the
spelling of the teachers is atrocious.

[1] Class Dojo is an app and online system used for communication
between school and parents and grandparents, and where I can also see
what my AGCs have been up to at school. Dojo points are awarded to
individuals or the whole class for things they do well. Some schools
award negative points to, but they don;t do that.

Obviously some children do better than others, and some teachers award
more than others, but these 2 were not awarding any all week although
they do give rewards in other ways. When all the AGCs come here after
school on Friday they like to compare what they've done and the 2 in
these classes felt a bit left out. Much better now !
Penny
2019-10-31 10:13:33 UTC
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:49:10 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
ND is a teacher at same school and despite an English degree from
Sheffield didn't know the word surplice either. But she says the
spelling of the teachers is atrocious.
The first head teacher I worked for knew she couldn't spell (she could
never match dates to days of the week either - that's how I got the job)
but she was very good at looking things up in the dictionary so if she
hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.
2019-10-31 18:21:41 UTC
The first head teacher I worked for knew she couldn't spell (she could
never match dates to days of the week either - that's how I got the job)
but she was very good at looking things up in the dictionary so if she
hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.
I am not good at spelling either, and taught English at various
levels, but also can look words up. Now I can ask Alexa.
Mike
2019-10-31 18:30:53 UTC
The first head teacher I worked for knew she couldn't spell (she could
never match dates to days of the week either - that's how I got the job)
but she was very good at looking things up in the dictionary so if she
hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.
I am not good at spelling either, and taught English at various
levels, but also can look words up. Now I can ask Alexa.
‘Alexa, how should I spell incarceration?’
‘Correctly please.’
2019-11-01 01:45:31 UTC
ND is a teacher at same school and despite an English degree from
Sheffield didn't know the word surplice either. But she says the
spelling of the teachers is atrocious.
The first head teacher I worked for knew she couldn't spell (she could
never match dates to days of the week either - that's how I got the job)
but she was very good at looking things up in the dictionary so if she
hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.
I have great respect for those who lack a certain skill - but admit to
the fact, and think it matters, and ask when they are in doubt. (Of
course, I "have a small preen"* if it's me that they ask.) It's those
that are arrogant about _not_ caring - especially if they're [otherwise]
intelligent - that get my goat, on my wick, and up my nose. (Jeremy
Paxman and German pronunciation comes to mind.)

*became a family meme. It's from "Superpig [A Gentleman's Guide to
Everyday Survival]", by Willie Rushton, which came out in response to
Shirley Conran's (I think it was her) "Superwoman". A fun (and useful!)
read.

I'm too lazy to have a bigger ego. - James May, RT 2016/1/23-29
BrritSki
You can get pills for that nowadays.
Mike
2019-11-01 09:22:13 UTC
ND is a teacher at same school and despite an English degree from
Sheffield didn't know the word surplice either. But she says the
spelling of the teachers is atrocious.
The first head teacher I worked for knew she couldn't spell (she could
never match dates to days of the week either - that's how I got the job)
but she was very good at looking things up in the dictionary so if she
hadn't told me I wouldn't have known.
I have great respect for those who lack a certain skill - but admit to
the fact, and think it matters, and ask when they are in doubt. (Of
course, I "have a small preen"
You can get pills for that nowadays.
Via t’internet I suppose?!
2019-11-01 11:59:21 UTC
I have great respect for those who lack a certain skill - but admit to
the fact, and think it matters, and ask when they are in doubt. (Of
course, I "have a small preen"
(if it's me they ask).
You can get pills for that nowadays.
LOLAL!
Post by Mike
Via t’internet I suppose?!
Of course.

As the man said when confronted by a large dinner salad, "This isn't food.
This is what food eats."
steveski
2019-10-31 00:18:47 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:32:07 +0000, BrritSki
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
Are you trying to foment anger with that remark?
2019-10-31 06:19:09 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:32:07 +0000, BrritSki
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got Dave
because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it would
diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
Are you trying to foment anger with that remark?
Erme...isn't that the correct choice between foment/ferment here? Or am
I helpfully informing someone that there are no tigers in Africa again?
<blush>

Perhaps you could appraise me of the answer.
2019-10-31 16:14:51 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 13:32:07 +0000, BrritSki
I'm unlikely to see the TV show on Dave because a) I haven't got
Dave because b) I haven't got a TV. But I have read a couple of his
books.
Any chance of a clue? (Please use spoiler space if you think it
would diminish the fun for other rats.)
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples
of "mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
Are you trying to foment anger with that remark?
Erme...isn't that the correct choice between foment/ferment here? Or am
I helpfully informing someone that there are no tigers in Africa again?
<blush>
Perhaps you could appraise me of the answer.
Yes, Sid - mea culpa. I was going to write 'ferment' but used (utilised)
the wrong one. Oh, for hollow laughing.
2019-10-31 18:30:58 UTC
[...]
I'm sure you did as best as you could.[1]

[1]Some of these make me physically wince.
2019-10-31 20:47:03 UTC
[1]Some of these make me physically wince.
And, if it were only a little wince...
2019-11-01 01:46:54 UTC
[1]Some of these make me physically wince.
(_Most_ of them do me.)
Post by Sam Plusnet
And, if it were only a little wince...
Winceyette? (Or was that the feedline thought anyway?)

Back then, many radio sets were still in black and white. - Eddie Mair, radio
presenter, on "PM" programme reaching 40; in Radio Times, 3-9 April 2010
krw
2019-11-01 10:09:26 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
And, if it were only a little wince...
Winceyette? (Or was that the feedline thought anyway?)
Whatever happened to Winceyette Willis?
2019-11-01 11:59:58 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
And, if it were only a little wince...
Winceyette? (Or was that the feedline thought anyway?)
Whatever happened to Winceyette Willis?
Good question! And Isobel Lang.

As the man said when confronted by a large dinner salad, "This isn't food.
This is what food eats."
Mike
2019-11-01 12:48:38 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
And, if it were only a little wince...
Winceyette? (Or was that the feedline thought anyway?)
Whatever happened to Winceyette Willis?
Outdated by a LPA document?
I was literally fuming.
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-31 09:31:38 UTC
Post by BrritSki
I don't think any SS is necessary.  He was showing lots of examples of
"mis-spelling" such as were being listed here quite recently.
Looking for those is one of my favourite past times.
You shouldn't of done that, Jenny, you've started him off again!
Are you trying to foment anger with that remark?
I was literally fuming.
You only said that to elucidate a response. Mind you, this thread
comprises of some entertaining posts.