OT:Tinnitus Playlist
Add Reply
Joe Kerr
2020-08-06 21:22:02 UTC
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?

All I have come up with so far is:

Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock

Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?

[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Ric
steveski
2020-08-06 21:47:55 UTC
On Thu, 06 Aug 2020 22:22:02 +0100, Joe Kerr wrote:

[snip]
Post by Joe Kerr
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Bwahahaha!
2020-08-06 21:58:05 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought
it might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a
bit. It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
There's another carol - can't remember the proper title, but it has
something like ring ding dingaling a lot. ("Sleighride together" is
another line in it.)

Les Trois Cloches (the Jimmy Brown song)

That Judy Garland (?) one about a streetcar

Oranges and Lemons (torture!)

Get me to the church on time (from My Fair Lady)

The GEC March (email me for a MIDI of it - it has parts for electric
bells! Written for an AGM in 1912, or something like that)

The Bluebells of Scotland?

Michelle

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
John Ashby
2020-08-06 22:03:04 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Rachmaninoff - The Bells
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Mussorgsky - The Great Gate of Kiev (from Pictures at an Exhibition)

And for a reading list, Dorothy L Sayers - The Nine Tailors

2020-08-07 17:18:57 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought
it might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a
bit. It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Rachmaninoff - The Bells
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Mussorgsky - The Great Gate of Kiev (from Pictures at an Exhibition)
And for a reading list, Dorothy L Sayers - The Nine Tailors
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell
Red Red Whine - UB40
Shut Up - Stormzy

And on the wishlist:
The Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
2020-08-07 17:22:55 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
Do you hear what I hear?
2020-08-07 09:03:15 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
The Song Sky Masterton (Marlon Brando) sings in Guys and Dolls in
Cuba. If I were a bell
Mike Ruddock
2020-08-07 09:35:58 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
The Song Sky Masterton (Marlon Brando) sings in Guys and Dolls in
Cuba. If I were a bell
Er, no. That's the sargeant-in-her-cups.

Mike Ruddock
Nick Odell
2020-08-07 22:41:57 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize(1)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire (1)
Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head(1)
Led Zeppelin . Dazed And Confused(1)

Nick
(1)I Have Had This Urge To Write Everything In Title Case Ever Since I
Took Out A Subscription To The New York Times
Sid Nuncius
2020-08-08 07:04:39 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize(1)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire (1)
Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head(1)
Led Zeppelin . Dazed And Confused(1)
Are you sure about the Jerry Lee? I've had tinnitus; it's a nightmare,
but it never quite had that effect on me.

All Night Long - Lionel Richie
2020-08-08 07:35:36 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought it
might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a bit.
It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize(1)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire (1)
Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head(1)
Led Zeppelin . Dazed And Confused(1)
Nick
(1)I Have Had This Urge To Write Everything In Title Case Ever Since I
Took Out A Subscription To The New York Times
BTN [1]

[1] Bad Titling Nomination [2]

[2] BTN being another example :)
a l l y

Mike Ruddock
2020-08-12 07:35:06 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought
it might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a
bit. It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
--
Ric
That is the title of a very creepy ghost story by M R James. I hadn't
realised that there is a song with that name. Must investigate.

Mike Ruddock
Steve Hague
2020-08-12 10:09:55 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought
it might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a
bit. It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is
no excuse not to have a laugh.
--
Ric
That is the title of a very creepy ghost story by M R James. I hadn't
realised that there is a song with that name. Must investigate.
Mike Ruddock
I think the M.R. James tale was titled after the folksong. I remember
the BBC doing an adaptation featuring Michael Hordern. The story, not
the song. As you say, very creepy.
Steve
Mike Ruddock
2020-08-12 10:22:53 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I have done some Googling and can find multiple references to the James
story and its various adaptations, but not a hint about a song.

Mike Ruddock
Steve Hague
2020-08-12 12:37:53 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I find it mildly amusing that you've now gone through four posts without
actually mentioning the title/song in question, other than "That" in
Mike's first post! For those of us _not_ familiar with it, it could be:

Tinnitus Playlist (unlikely - more a band [their second album was ...]);
nothing funny about tinnitus (also unlikely);
no excuse not to have a laugh (is that it? Sounds plausible for a novel
title, but a bit odd for a song)

(-:

Find out what works. Then do it. That's my system. I'm always surprised it
isn't more popular. - Scott Adams, 2015
Penny
2020-08-12 13:35:16 UTC
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 13:37:53 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by a l l y
There's a nice old folksong: Whistle and I will come to you, my
lad. (I have tinnitus too.)
ally
I find it mildly amusing that you've now gone through four posts without
actually mentioning the title/song in question, other than "That" in
Tinnitus Playlist (unlikely - more a band [their second album was ...]);
nothing funny about tinnitus (also unlikely);
no excuse not to have a laugh (is that it? Sounds plausible for a novel
title, but a bit odd for a song)
John, you've been misled by Ally's top posting ^^
Joe Kerr
2020-08-20 13:08:21 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought
it might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a
bit. It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
--
Ric
Sorry or the delay in responding. I have been in a computer free zone.
(No, not prison.)

Thanks for all your contributions. The sufferer sends his appreciation
for our thought and effort, and seemed quite cheered.
Ric
Chris McMillan
2020-08-20 15:49:15 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I have a friend in the music business who is currently suffering from
(one hopes) temporary tinnitus[1], as well as the lockdown. I thought
it might be nice to create an appropriate playlist to cheer him up a
bit. It's the sort of thing a friend does, isn't it?
Anita Ward - Ring my Bell
Chuck Berry - My Ding-a-Ling
Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock
Can umra step up in its usual fashion and add to the list?
[1] Yes, I know. There is nothing funny about tinnitus, but that is no
excuse not to have a laugh.
--
Ric
Sorry or the delay in responding. I have been in a computer free zone.
(No, not prison.)
Take your word for that!

2020-08-20 22:02:57 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Sorry or the delay in responding. I have been in a computer free zone.
(No, not prison.)
<snip>
I never thought for one moment you might have been in prison: from all
the lurid accounts I have read about life inside in the yellow press,
the last thing anybody in there seems to be lacking is electronic
communication with the outside world.

2020-08-20 21:42:29 UTC
On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 19:02:57, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Joe Kerr
Sorry or the delay in responding. I have been in a computer free zone.
(No, not prison.)
<snip>
I never thought for one moment you might have been in prison: from all
the lurid accounts I have read about life inside in the yellow press,
the last thing anybody in there seems to be lacking is electronic
communication with the outside world.
Nick
According to an episode of "Porridge" I remember, the Mr. Big even
listened to The Archers.

The breathtaking wonders of nature revealed to the soothing tones of Sir David
Attenborough. Life doesn't get much better than that.
- Ben Preston, Radio Times editor (2016/11/26-12/2)
Steve Hague
2020-08-22 10:15:04 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Joe Kerr
Sorry or the delay in responding. I have been in a computer free zone.
(No, not prison.)
<snip>
I never thought for one moment you might have been in prison: from all
the lurid accounts I have read about life inside in the yellow press,
the last thing anybody in there seems to be lacking is electronic
communication with the outside world.
Nick
According to an episode of "Porridge" I remember, the Mr. Big even
listened to The Archers.
Grouty. I remember that too.