OT: One for the tech gurus
2020-07-18 14:30:57 UTC
My desky recently returned from a visit to hospital to have one or 2
minor matter attended to and, as is my wont, I backed up all my major
folders to my lapdog, using an MS app called SyncToy. For about a week
I beavered away at my family history, making lots of changes to various
subfolders within one particular folder which is a mirror image of one
on my desky. When the desky came home I attempted - as usual - to sync
back the other way. Problem. Although the desky could see the lapdog,
the lapdog couldn't see the desky.

Thinking the computer doctor (who is a professional of long-standing)
had done something I rang him up. To cut a long story short, he spent a
couple of hours remotely accessing both my machines and was eventually
able to ascertain that the lapdog wasn't recognising the "name" of the
desky and the solution he finally came up with was to assign a fixed IP
address to the desky and put a shortcut on the lapdog's desktop pointing
to that address.

I was able to create a new sync pair using the IP address instead of the
name of the desky but ran into a further problem in that the desky
wouldn't allow access to the folder I needed to sync. I finally solved
the problem by copying everything to a new folder on the desky and then
syncing that with the original.

Sorry for such a long tale, but the point of telling it is to ask if
anyrat has any idea why the problem should have arisen and would there
have been any other solution. I use the lapdog as on of my main
backups, but this sync operation is something I need to do quite
frequently and is very important to me. Because of the number of files
involved, it took about 6 hours so copy the entire folder - and
sometimes there is more than one folder involved.
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-18 21:21:40 UTC
My desky recently returned from a visit to hospital to have one or 2
minor matter attended to and, as is my wont, I backed up all my major
folders to my lapdog, using an MS app called SyncToy. For about a week
I too use SyncToy! (For my D: - data - partition; for C:-plus-hidden, I
use Macrium, which I have on a mini-CD.)
Post by Jenny M Benson
I beavered away at my family history, making lots of changes to various
subfolders within one particular folder which is a mirror image of one
on my desky. When the desky came home I attempted - as usual - to sync
back the other way. Problem. Although the desky could see the lapdog,
the lapdog couldn't see the desky.
Ah, I just use SyncToy (and Macrium) to an external drive (via a dock,
but it could just as easily be one in a housing).
Post by Jenny M Benson
Thinking the computer doctor (who is a professional of long-standing)
had done something I rang him up. To cut a long story short, he spent
a couple of hours remotely accessing both my machines and was
eventually able to ascertain that the lapdog wasn't recognising the
"name" of the desky and the solution he finally came up with was to
assign a fixed IP address to the desky and put a shortcut on the
lapdog's desktop pointing to that address.
I was able to create a new sync pair using the IP address instead of
the name of the desky but ran into a further problem in that the desky
wouldn't allow access to the folder I needed to sync. I finally solved
Ah, these newer operating systems are infuriating where permissions are
concerned. I find a utility called "take ownership" useful - it just
adds "take ownership" to the right-click menu. Obviously don't touch
system files/folders, but for ones you know should be yours, it's
frustrating when the computer says you can't access them!

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
gives terrifying instructions - then, right at the bottom, says in
effect "we've done it for you" - linking to
https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Take-Ownership-Menu-Hacks.zip
which just contains two files - InstallTakeOwnership.reg and
RemoveTakeOwnership.reg . You just run the first one.
Post by Jenny M Benson
the problem by copying everything to a new folder on the desky and then
syncing that with the original.
Sorry for such a long tale, but the point of telling it is to ask if
anyrat has any idea why the problem should have arisen and would there
Sorry, no ...
Post by Jenny M Benson
have been any other solution. I use the lapdog as on of my main
... but TakeOwnership might have helped. Like Dawn French in the Terry's
Chocolate Orange commercial, it lets you say "mine!". Not under all
circumstances, but often enough that I find it useful.
Post by Jenny M Benson
backups, but this sync operation is something I need to do quite
frequently and is very important to me. Because of the number of files
involved, it took about 6 hours so copy the entire folder - and
sometimes there is more than one folder involved.
I can't remember whether it applies itself to sub-folders. I _think_ it
does.

if you're paying for something, you're the customer; if you're getting it
free, you're the product.
Jenny M Benson
2020-07-19 09:17:50 UTC
Ah, these newer operating systems are infuriating where permissions are
concerned. I find a utility called "take ownership" useful - it just
adds "take ownership" to the right-click menu. Obviously don't touch
system files/folders, but for ones you know should be yours, it's
frustrating when the computer says you can't access them!
Many thanks, Jpeg! I'll look into that.
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-19 11:53:07 UTC
Ah, these newer operating systems are infuriating where permissions
are concerned. I find a utility called "take ownership" useful - it
just adds "take ownership" to the right-click menu. Obviously don't
touch system files/folders, but for ones you know should be yours,
it's frustrating when the computer says you can't access them!
Many thanks, Jpeg! I'll look into that.
I hope it works for you. It works for me, in my Windows 7 Home Premium
32 bit; I don't know if it works in 10. I don't think it will do _harm_.

It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.
Marmaduke Jinks
2020-07-20 09:43:40 UTC
--
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end.
If he changed your internal IP to a fixed (or static) one (192.168.1.xxx)

It could also be that he had originally changed your Workgroup name so that
the laptop didn't "know" it was in the same group as your desktop.

Who knows eh?

MJ