Sound effects
2018-04-20 07:24:09 UTC
Looks like it may soon be possible to assembly your own
soundscape of familiar favourites. <moos quietly as birds tweet
and farm gate closes>

<https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bbc-is-letting-you-download-more-than-16000-free-sound-effect-samples-from-its-archive>

"There can be few organisations that have used more sound effects
than the BBC, so there’s bound to be great interest in the news
that the corporation has now made more than 16,000 of its FX
available for free download.

These are being released under the RemArc licence, which means
that they can be used for “personal, educational or research
purposes”.

The archive is easily searchable, and a quick browse confirms
that there’s a wide variety of content, ranging from the
atmospheric to the downright obscure. Each sample can be
previewed and both its duration and filename are listed.

The service is currently in beta, but you can dive in and start
downloading right now on the BBC Sound Effects website."

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-20 08:49:45 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
Chris
What I need is for Alexa to offer some of those as Farmyard Ambient.
2018-04-20 10:06:49 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Looks like it may soon be possible to assembly your own
soundscape of familiar favourites. <moos quietly as birds tweet
and farm gate closes>
<https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-bbc-is-letting-you-download-more-th
an-16000-free-sound-effect-samples-from-its-archive>
"There can be few organisations that have used more sound effects
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
The service is currently in beta, but you can dive in and start
downloading right now on the BBC Sound Effects website."
Chris
Though that last link links to http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/, which
certainly seems to be a work in progress at the moment; I can only see
about ten lines of text, no download or search link. (That's in
up-to-date Chrome; it won't load at all in Firefox 26.)

Reality television. It's eroding the ability of good scripted television to
survive. - Patrick Duffy in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013
Jenny M Benson
2018-04-20 13:01:23 UTC
--
Did you click on "Read more"? I'd accidentally downloaded 2 tracks
before I realised it was just going ahead and doing it after I clicked
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-20 16:21:02 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
The service is currently in beta, but you can dive in and start
downloading right now on the BBC Sound Effects website."
Chris
Though that last link links to http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/,
which certainly seems to be a work in progress at the moment; I can
only see about ten lines of text, no download or search link. (That's
in up-to-date Chrome; it won't load at all in Firefox 26.)
--
Did you click on "Read more"? I'd accidentally downloaded 2 tracks
before I realised it was just going ahead and doing it after I clicked
on an arrow!
I don't think that was there when I looked - maybe I caught them in the
middle of a page update or something. It's fine now!

Who were your favourite TV stars or shows when you were a child? Sadly they've
all been arrested ... Ian Hislop, in Radio Times 28 September-4 October 2013
Chris McMillan
2018-04-21 18:11:16 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
I seem to remember there was a time when people were invited to record
their memories of sounds and submit them to some sort of audio history
database