I don't understand it
2020-06-14 14:01:39 UTC
In recent weeks the tv has allowed me to watch:
Unprecedented
Staged
Cyswllt (Mewn Covid)
Dun Breedin (from You Tube)
Isolation Stories

All of which require video as well as audio and seem to knock the
abilities of The Archers team out of the park.

Emmerdale has been back in the studio and is transmitting two handers.

How is it that the BBC Sounds team (because both radio and wireless are
dirty words apparently) cannot competently make even a two or three hander?

I am sorry but I honestly feel let down by the BBC in properly
maintaining the historically longest running radio continuing drama, but
they let it stop. Incompetence or inability to manage? Discuss.
2020-06-14 14:13:43 UTC
Unprecedented
Staged
Cyswllt (Mewn Covid)
Dun Breedin (from You Tube)
Isolation Stories
All of which require video as well as audio and seem to knock the
abilities of The Archers team out of the park.
Emmerdale has been back in the studio and is transmitting two handers.
How is it that the BBC Sounds team (because both radio and wireless are
dirty words apparently) cannot competently make even a two or three hander?
I am sorry but I honestly feel let down by the BBC in properly
maintaining the historically longest running radio continuing drama, but
they let it stop. Incompetence or inability to manage? Discuss.
I suspect that commercial organisations can’t afford to stop production for
long; they need some programmes to fill some space between the advert
features.
2020-06-14 14:27:12 UTC
[...]
I saw an episode of Doctors - the BBC1 soap that follows the 1pm news -
that seemed to do quite well: lots of zoom-type stuff. I wasn't really
watching, but a few bits did catch my eye. And that's BBC, not inter-ad.

The suspicion that TPTB want to kill off TA does keep nagging, resistant
though I usually am to conspiracy theories.

Who is Art, and why does life imitate him?
Penny
2020-06-14 18:22:22 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 15:27:12 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I saw an episode of Doctors - the BBC1 soap that follows the 1pm news -
that seemed to do quite well: lots of zoom-type stuff. I wasn't really
watching, but a few bits did catch my eye. And that's BBC, not inter-ad.
That was very good (and released a frightening amount of pent-up emotion in
me - I probably needed it).

It was all zoom-type stuff, made little attempt to tie up any loose ends,
jumped straight in as a week-by-week catch up of coping with the virus
situation. Which for a soap which pretends to follow the same calendar as
the rest of the world (like TA but spoiled a bit by summer foliage in
winter) required a large suspension of belief since the previous day's
episode supposedly happened on 11 June...

The only thing which bothered me at all was the make-up of a couple of
people which just looked wrong.

I guess they have trashed a lot of scripts and possibly some whole
programmes (they always break for Wimbledon and again for August) but I
gather they plan to start shooting again in July.

To replace Doctors we're getting the first series of an Australian drama
for the next 6 weeks, I think. I don't know if Series 2 will follow, it
only started showing in Oz in early March on a one episode per week basis.
2020-06-14 19:23:30 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I saw an episode of Doctors - the BBC1 soap that follows the 1pm news -
that seemed to do quite well: lots of zoom-type stuff. I wasn't really
watching, but a few bits did catch my eye. And that's BBC, not inter-ad.
That was very good (and released a frightening amount of pent-up emotion in
me - I probably needed it).
It was all zoom-type stuff, made little attempt to tie up any loose ends,
jumped straight in as a week-by-week catch up of coping with the virus
situation. Which for a soap which pretends to follow the same calendar as
the rest of the world (like TA but spoiled a bit by summer foliage in
winter) required a large suspension of belief since the previous day's
episode supposedly happened on 11 June...
It was brilliant. I was feeling fragile anyway and it released a lot of
emotion.
2020-06-14 19:23:30 UTC
[...]
That was a one-off special, filmed in the cast's own homes, and required
major setting up and editing. It wasn't something which is on every day.

I am really bored, not with The Archers, but the endless whining about how
it is being broadcast at the moment.
2020-06-14 20:24:59 UTC
I am really bored, not with The Archers, but the endless whining about how
it is being broadcast at the moment.
<languid wave>

I think they're doing a pretty good job of keeping Ambridge alive and,
on the whole, I'm enjoying the new format. They've had to come up with
a way of working which is sustainable long term, in a pretty unknown
situation. They must also have a pretty high proportion of their cast
(and, quite possibly some of their production staff) who are vulnerable
and, quite possibly, sheilding.

It seems pretty sensible to me to start off with something that the know
will work well and then to introduce more complexity, where they can, as
they all become more competent and confident in what they're doing.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
(Mark Twain)
BrritSki
2020-06-15 08:10:58 UTC
I am really bored, not with The Archers, but the endless whining about how
it is being broadcast at the moment.
<languid wave>
I think they're doing a pretty good job of keeping Ambridge alive and,
on the whole, I'm enjoying the new format.  They've had to come up with
a way of working which is sustainable long term, in a pretty unknown
situation.  They must also have a pretty high proportion of their cast
(and, quite possibly some of their production staff) who are vulnerable
and, quite possibly, sheilding.
It seems pretty sensible to me to start off with something that the know
will work well and then to introduce more complexity, where they can, as
they all become more competent and confident in what they're doing.
But they do know how to do this stuff. They do it all the time with the
child actors stuff being pre-recorded. It's not rocket science and if
it's not up to Mike McT levels of audio quality we would have cut them
some slack esp. as a lot of it could be done via phone or Zoom calls or
conversations at a distance where you would expect a difference in levels.
Chris McMillan
2020-06-16 11:32:58 UTC
[...]
Studios can’t be used non-stop for a whole day? Too many ‘shielding’ or
vulnerable. Being treated the same as others most likely though. Still no
idea why R3/4 news broadcasters have been dispensed with so that others (eg
bbc Berkshire’s the excellent newsreader, long serving breakfast show
presenter, Andrew Peach, who is more than a match for any R3/4 reader) is
now sharing his week with R4 and not his breakfast slot.’

If I had to listen to bbc Berkshire under protest I could just about live
with his style, not his music of course.

2020-06-16 18:48:40 UTC
On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:32:58 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by krw
[...]
Did you read about the care homes that avoided Covid-19 when the staff
took decisions to lock themselves in with the residents?
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/28/we-did-what-we-set-out-to-achieve-the-staff-who-moved-into-care-homes

Surely, for the sake of the nation, the cast and crew of The Archers
could make the ultimate sacrifice of separation from family, friends
and other paid work and lock themselves into Pebble Mill or the
Mailbox or whatever and keep on churning out new episodes until the
cows come home?

2020-06-16 15:49:24 UTC
keep on churning out new episodes until the
cows come home?
I saw what you did there.
2020-06-16 16:00:10 UTC
keep on churning out new episodes until the
cows come home?
I saw what you did there.
Yeah, they are milking it.
2020-06-16 19:06:04 UTC
keep on churning out new episodes until the
cows come home?
I saw what you did there.
:-)

N.

Vicky Ayech
2020-06-14 16:30:19 UTC
Unprecedented
Staged
Cyswllt (Mewn Covid)
Dun Breedin (from You Tube)
Isolation Stories
All of which require video as well as audio and seem to knock the
abilities of The Archers team out of the park.
Emmerdale has been back in the studio and is transmitting two handers.
How is it that the BBC Sounds team (because both radio and wireless are
dirty words apparently) cannot competently make even a two or three hander?
I am sorry but I honestly feel let down by the BBC in properly
maintaining the historically longest running radio continuing drama, but
they let it stop. Incompetence or inability to manage? Discuss.
Both the above have been evident for ages. The Beetle and successor
and SWs who seem to think we have vision and can't adapt from
Eastenders to radio.
Penny
2020-06-14 21:07:43 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 15:01:39 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Unprecedented
Staged
Cyswllt (Mewn Covid)
Dun Breedin (from You Tube)
Isolation Stories
All of which require video as well as audio and seem to knock the
abilities of The Archers team out of the park.
There's a review comparing TA with Staged which you may enjoy agreeing with
here
<https://pauseliveaction.wordpress.com/2020/06/14/the-archers-0-staged-1/>
2020-06-14 21:43:48 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Unprecedented
Staged
Cyswllt (Mewn Covid)
Dun Breedin (from You Tube)
Isolation Stories
All of which require video as well as audio and seem to knock the
abilities of The Archers team out of the park.
There's a review comparing TA with Staged which you may enjoy agreeing with
here
<https://pauseliveaction.wordpress.com/2020/06/14/the-archers-0-staged-1/>
Thank you Penny. All said far more eloquently than I might ever manage.
I sense the BBC production team were far more concerned about the
quality of the recording than the quality of the content - I think we
might forgive failings in the former if the latter was better. And I do
think that being unable to produce something involving two or three
people remotely which a lot of podcasts seem to manage shows a lack of
the right skills.
2020-06-14 23:08:27 UTC
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 22:43:48 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
While I agree with you to some extent with regards to TA, I can understand
that those people in the studio who have been doing a pretty good job for a
lot of years now, might struggle to adjust to current circumstances when so
many things they are used to having control over are completely outside
their control and equipment is being set up and used by actors (for
goodness sake) who are not known for being technically proficient.

(Is there still an award for the longest sentence?)

Those entertaining 15 (probably 13) minute pieces 'Staged' would have made
lousy radio - far too much silence.
2020-06-15 08:33:24 UTC
dust...
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
I agree with the verdict. I think once again the bosses here missed
the mark and could/should have done much better. I loved Sheen and
Tennant in Good Omens and will watch Staged.
BrritSki
2020-06-15 08:08:23 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Unprecedented
Staged
Cyswllt (Mewn Covid)
Dun Breedin (from You Tube)
Isolation Stories
All of which require video as well as audio and seem to knock the
abilities of The Archers team out of the park.
There's a review comparing TA with Staged which you may enjoy agreeing with
here
<https://pauseliveaction.wordpress.com/2020/06/14/the-archers-0-staged-1/>
Yes, I agree with it totally. I've said before that it shows a complete
lack of respect for the TA audience that they didn't do more to provide
what we know and hat^love. But we're an old audience that they are not
interested in...