OT Great British Menu
Add Reply
Min
2020-03-18 20:06:46 UTC
Why, in the name of everything Bloodsome, did the
PTB feel that this needed a comedienne?
Especially one that needs a flash card to
remember the chefs' names.
Min
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-19 14:02:09 UTC
Why, in the name of everything Bloodsome, did the PTB feel that this
needed a comedienne? Especially one that needs a flash card to remember
the chefs' names.
Human rights lawyer (suggesting both articulacy and that the flash cards
are just schtik) and daughter of former Chief Medical Officer (couldn't
be more topical if it were the CMO himself. All round nice person
according to those who collected a special Stonewall on behalf of my
group some years ago. One who enjoys her food. And a Glaswegian too!
Sounds perfect to me!

Comedians presenting serious matters to a lay audience seems to be the
thing, if the comedian is knowledgeable about the subject and can
convincingly ask the dumb questions of the experts. I love In Our Time
but the polymathematical Melvyn Bragg is lousy at asking the dumb
questions as it often comes across as him knowing more than the expert
even when he doesn't. I think The Infinite Monkey Cage works a treat
where it starts light-hearted and before you know it you're surrounded by
some really profound stuff. And I am enjoying Sue Perkins's Nature Table.

Of course, if you're an expert it's not aimed at you. It's supposed to
engage people who might otherwise run fast from the subject.

Min
2020-03-19 21:49:53 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Sounds perfect to me!
It doesn't need a presenter. It tried one once before, and she was
Let Go. And, as quite a fan previously, it has now turned me off
both her and the show. Your 'sounds' looks to me as if you never
watched it. Perhaps you'd like to now. I won't.
--
Min