So farewell then ...
2020-06-18 09:13:38 UTC
Vera Lynn - you'll never meet my son again now.
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-06-18 11:57:30 UTC
Vera Lynn - you'll never meet my son again now.
As my friend Frank would say, it'll never be "whalemeat again" any more.

A great loss: I don't think I don't like _any_ of her songs.

As for WMA, I actually slightly prefer the earlier version with Arthur
Young playing the Hammond Novachord - not only because it feels more
intimate than with full band, but it also contains the two introductory
lines, which I rather like.

And also, the opening notes - note, really - of the band version makes
me, and I'm sure many others, see black-and-white films of nuclear
tests. (I was one of the school projectionists when we had that film.)

It also triggers my eyes to water ...

There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known -
Danny Baker