Neil and Susan's holiday
2020-03-15 20:02:51 UTC
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
2020-03-15 20:21:38 UTC
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Emma worrying about that would be an ideal candidate for a TI
To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else (Emily
Dickinson)
Chris McMillan
2020-03-16 20:01:57 UTC
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Emma worrying about that would be an ideal candidate for a TI
Oh I had forgotten that. We didn’t hear them leave, did we?

2020-03-15 20:36:26 UTC
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
That's a quite different Canaries in an entirely different universe, so
no problem there.
steve hague
2020-03-16 09:54:29 UTC
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Some friends of friends of ours were holidaying in Italy, and no, they
can't get home.
2020-03-16 11:35:23 UTC
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 09:54:29 +0000, steve hague
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Some friends of friends of ours were holidaying in Italy, and no, they
can't get home.
Steve
Well if Neil and Susan can't get back and are in the story lines in
the next weeks there must be some frantic re-writing and recording.
Mike
2020-03-16 13:14:19 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Some friends of friends of ours were holidaying in Italy, and no, they
can't get home.
Steve
Well if Neil and Susan can't get back and are in the story lines in
the next weeks there must be some frantic re-writing and recording.
Ambridge and Corona Virus do not occupy the same time / space continuum.
2020-03-16 20:01:58 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Some friends of friends of ours were holidaying in Italy, and no, they
can't get home.
Steve
Reading Uni has closed down and students are free to go home if need be.
International students are free to go too. They have to fill in some forms
of course. Assuming they go home (or can even do so): how on earth will
they complete their courses if they can’t get back till June? As for on
line courses: from darkest Peru/Africa?

Sci fi coming home to roost?

2020-03-16 21:24:11 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Some friends of friends of ours were holidaying in Italy, and no, they
can't get home.
Steve
Reading Uni has closed down and students are free to go home if need be.
International students are free to go too. They have to fill in some forms
of course. Assuming they go home (or can even do so): how on earth will
they complete their courses if they can’t get back till June? As for on
line courses: from darkest Peru/Africa?
Sci fi coming home to roost?
A friend is off to Tanzania again is a few days. I'm sure he has a
better grip on the situation than I do, but I do wonder about it since
he is quite a bit further into the "dangerous age" category than I am.
2020-03-16 21:30:23 UTC
On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 20:01:58 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
If so, will they be able to get home?
Some friends of friends of ours were holidaying in Italy, and no, they
can't get home.
Steve
Reading Uni has closed down and students are free to go home if need be.
International students are free to go too. They have to fill in some forms
of course. Assuming they go home (or can even do so): how on earth will
they complete their courses if they can’t get back till June? As for on
line courses: from darkest Peru/Africa?
Sci fi coming home to roost?
Sincerely Chris
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8114189/Spanish-police-use-megaphones-tell-people-stay-indoors-face-25-000-fines.html

Wonder if Neil and Susan are having to stay in their hotel room or
trying to get a flight home.
steveski
2020-03-16 21:37:45 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
Wonder if Neil and Susan are having to stay in their hotel room or
trying to get a flight home.
Perhaps eating a lot of chili? In the shower?

2020-03-23 23:49:14 UTC
Wonder if Neil and Susan are having to stay in their hotel room or
trying to get a flight home.
Perhaps eating a lot of chili? In the shower?
Splutter, BTN.
MV, I fear.

(Trying to stay awake until midnight to scramble for a delivery slot in
three weeks time and catching up on a small fraction of my umra backlog.)
2020-03-24 00:27:33 UTC
Trying to stay awake until midnight to scramble for a delivery slot in
three weeks time.
Ha bloody ha. No slots available now unless you're identified as
elderly or vulnerable. I've been trying all day to ring the number to
register with them (God knows, I qualify!) but just got an engaged tone.
I finally got through at 11.30pm and hung on with repeated messages
saying that someone would be with me soon...until it cut me off at 00.15
and they're now closed.

Tesco's booking page crashed at midnight and by the time it was up
again, no slots.

Nothing available from Waitrose or Ocado.

Sleep (as best I can) and repeat tomorrow, I guess.

Sorry to moan, but this is horrendous. We do have people who will shop
for us, but little of what we need is available. At least I have
deliveries booked for the next two weeks. Hopefully, I'll be able to
get something organised by then, but God alone knows what we'll do after
that if I can't sort this out.
2020-03-24 12:00:02 UTC
Trying to stay awake until midnight to scramble for a delivery slot in
three weeks time.
Ha bloody ha.  No slots available now unless you're identified as
elderly or vulnerable.  I've been trying all day to ring the number to
register with them (God knows, I qualify!) but just got an engaged tone.
 I finally got through at 11.30pm and hung on with repeated messages
saying that someone would be with me soon...until it cut me off at 00.15
and they're now closed.
I spent my day, yesterday, doing much the same thing. In over 300
attempts, I got through to Sainsbury twice but, both times, lost the
line before I got as far as speaking to an actual person. Like you, I'm
OK at the moment as I've got orders booked for the next couple of weeks
but I am worried about what happens after that.
Tesco's booking page crashed at midnight and by the time it was up
again, no slots.
:(
Nothing available from Waitrose or Ocado.
Ocado seems to be coping with this particularly badly but I think that
may be because they must still be in disaster recovery mode, after
burning down their main distribution hub, in Andover, last year. That
probably means they were already using any spare capacity in their
system, even before this happened.
Sleep (as best I can) and repeat tomorrow, I guess.
Good luck.
Sorry to moan, but this is horrendous.  We do have people who will shop
for us, but little of what we need is available.  At least I have
deliveries booked for the next two weeks.  Hopefully, I'll be able to
get something organised by then, but God alone knows what we'll do after
that if I can't sort this out.
You have my sympathies. I'm in a similar situation but there's only one
of me and I don't have significant intolerances to deal with so, if I
have to end up eating stuff I might not choose, it won't be as serious
as it might be for some people.

[1] Of if that same sick person is denied access to food etc. because of
logistical failures :(
No society can legitimately call itself civilised if a sick person is
denied medical aid because of lack of means[1]. (Aneurin Bevan)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-24 12:44:57 UTC
[...]
PS - I've just tried again and, after a mere half dozen attempts got
through to Sainsbury's :) After listening to a long spiel about what
they were doing to cope with the current situation, they told me they
were too busy to take my call and suggested emailing them at
***@sainsbury.co.uk. I have just done so; the best I can say, so far,
is that they haven't bounced it as undeliverable but I will just have to
wait to see if it produces any result.
Exercise is bunk. If you are healthy you don't need it. If you are
sick, you shouldn't take it. (Henry Ford)
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-24 18:18:24 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:44:57 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Sorry to moan, but this is horrendous.  We do have people who will
shop for us, but little of what we need is available.  At least I have
deliveries booked for the next two weeks.  Hopefully, I'll be able to
get something organised by then, but God alone knows what we'll do
after that if I can't sort this out.
You have my sympathies.  I'm in a similar situation but there's only one
of me and I don't have significant intolerances to deal with so, if I
have to end up eating stuff I might not choose, it won't be as serious
as it might be for some people.
I tend to book three weeks ahead too but was checking for after 14/4
and Tescos has no pages open yet for then and Morrisons none open
after 31/3. It should be a Morrisons week for 14/4 but I booked the
Tescos as M not available yet.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-24 21:52:12 UTC
[...]
Since then, I discovered a different phone number (0800 052 5500) for
them which does work (although I get the impression that that's getting
steadily busier as word about it gets out).
Be yourself, everyone else is taken (Oscar Wilde)
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-24 18:15:34 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
[...]
Older daughter had problems with the Ocado site last week and as she
is working from home, 2 kids, no car, did need deliveries. I think she
eventually got one according to grandson but the site was up and down.
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-24 21:35:44 UTC
Ocado seems to be coping with this particularly badly but I think that
may be because they must still be in disaster recovery mode, after
burning down their main distribution hub, in Andover, last year.  That
probably means they were already using any spare capacity in their
system, even before this happened.
I can't do a comparison, since they are the only one we use, but with
some struggle we do seem to be able to get (mostly) what we want/need
from Ocado. (We had a delivery this afternoon and another is booked for
the same time next week)

I suppose S. Wales is less affected by what happened at Andover.

In other news, a near neighbour (a lad in his twenties) has been taken
to hospital with (presumed) C-19. He and his family share a house with
our friend who is in his late 80s.
2020-03-24 21:48:12 UTC
Ocado seems to be coping with this particularly badly but I think that
may be because they must still be in disaster recovery mode, after
burning down their main distribution hub, in Andover, last year.  That
probably means they were already using any spare capacity in their
system, even before this happened.
I can't do a comparison, since they are the only one we use, but with
some struggle we do seem to be able to get (mostly) what we want/need
from Ocado.  (We had a delivery this afternoon and another is booked for
the same time next week)
That's good. I've got an order booked with them for tomorrow evening,
so I'll be interested to see what turns up. When I checked it earlier
today, I had to adjust quite a bit to allow for stuff which was out of
stock. I went in just now, to do a final check and had to do a few more
adjustments for stuff which had gone out of stock since this afternoon.
Post by Sam Plusnet
I suppose S. Wales is less affected by what happened at Andover.
Perhaps
Post by Sam Plusnet
In other news, a near neighbour (a lad in his twenties) has been taken
to hospital with (presumed) C-19.  He and his family share a house with
our friend who is in his late 80s.
That sounds worrying.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks
others have thrown at him (David Brinkley)
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-25 21:39:10 UTC
In other news, a near neighbour (a lad in his twenties) has been taken
to hospital with (presumed) C-19.  He and his family share a house
with our friend who is in his late 80s.
That sounds worrying.
Update: The corrected version now is that an ambulance was called & his
blood oxygen levels checked, but they decided he wasn't sick enough to
warrant a hospital bed.
steve hague
2020-03-24 15:05:35 UTC
[...]
I hope things have improved today Sid. The feeding frenzy more or less
came to a stop here yesterday, and Tesco seemed fully stocked this
morning, if still a little short of beer.
2020-03-24 18:20:06 UTC
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 15:05:35 +0000, steve hague
Post by steve hague
I hope things have improved today Sid. The feeding frenzy more or less
came to a stop here yesterday, and Tesco seemed fully stocked this
morning, if still a little short of beer.
They deleted lots of my order over the last few days. The one arriving
tonight. I kept going on to replace what is not available and then
that would be off. The order tonight seems to be there except one cat
food thing and no skimmed milk. I have had to substitute stuff but as
long as you can get some version of it it is ok.
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-24 21:20:43 UTC
Post by steve hague
I hope things have improved today Sid. The feeding frenzy more or less
came to a stop here yesterday, and Tesco seemed fully stocked this
morning, if still a little short of beer.
They deleted lots of my order over the last few days. The one arriving
tonight. I kept going on to replace what is not available and then
that would be off. The order tonight seems to be there except one cat
food thing and no skimmed milk. I have had to substitute stuff but as
long as you can get some version of it it is ok.
The order did arrive and was a travesty. I will need to go and shop.
Milk, veg and sausage rolls, when I get my meds. And I was not
thinking fast enough as was so dismayed at what arrived so got bad
substitutions too. I wanted 6 single bananas and it said only 3 so I
ordered a pack of 5 plus single one and they substituted another 5
pack. The apples I wanted were subs too and not the same.The ready
meals also wrong. No point trying to complain. I click for no subs
actually. (
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-16 21:16:05 UTC
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
They've gone to the dogs.

2020-03-17 01:10:03 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Penny
Am I right in thinking Neil and Susan are holidaying in the Canaries?
They've gone to the dogs.
Don't tweet that. You'd confuse a lot of people.