OT Road/Cycling Quiz
2020-09-06 11:13:21 UTC
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
krw
2020-09-06 11:51:29 UTC
Post by DavidK
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
I am not a cyclist and I did better than that. But why are they
changing established rules? Not good practice.
2020-09-06 12:34:44 UTC
Post by DavidK
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
I got 7/9, despite it being nearly 20 years since I've been a driver -
and considerably longer than that since I've been a cyclist.
Reset Universe (Y/N)?
Paul Herber
2020-09-06 12:34:53 UTC
Post by DavidK
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
We took that quiz yesterday and didn't do very well either, and we are cyclists.
Some of the answers were not appropriate for the question.
Bad.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-06 12:57:53 UTC
I am a driver and pedestrianand got 5/9
BrritSki
2020-09-06 14:44:09 UTC
Post by DavidK
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
I got 7 out of 9 "right".

First 5 and last 2, no problem.

Q6 define "slow-moving". If it was very slow and single lane I'd almost
certainly let people cross, but at 20mph or 2 lanes not so much.

Q7 I answered slow and overtake on right when 2 other alternatives were
calling out or ringing bell. I'm told I was wrong and that pedestrians
might be deaf. Dur, exactly, that's why I answered as I did.

Mind you, it's Roger Harrabin, so not surprised he got something badly
wrong :/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-06 15:39:02 UTC
Post by DavidK
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
Q2 It says "On your inside is a cyclist going straight ahead.", but the
_illustration_ clearly shows the cyclist indicating an intention to
turn.

Q4 - I'm getting the hang of this now: basically you just answer giving
in totally to the cyclist. Also, the illustration is inconsistent.
Post by BrritSki
I got 7 out of 9 "right".
First 5 and last 2, no problem.
Q6 define "slow-moving". If it was very slow and single lane I'd almost
certainly let people cross, but at 20mph or 2 lanes not so much.
Exactly. I chose the third option (though I'd tend to use arm gesture
rather than light flash). [Also, the illustration - presumably from
elsewhere - could have been reversed left-to-right with minimal effort,
to reflect British reality.]
Post by BrritSki
Q7 I answered slow and overtake on right when 2 other alternatives were
calling out or ringing bell. I'm told I was wrong and that pedestrians
might be deaf. Dur, exactly, that's why I answered as I did.
Ditto. So I did the same as you.
Post by BrritSki
Mind you, it's Roger Harrabin, so not surprised he got something badly
wrong :/
(I vaguely recognise the name, though not where from.)
3

Who is Art, and why does life imitate him?
steveski
2020-09-06 15:50:20 UTC
On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 15:44:09 +0100, BrritSki wrote:

[cycling questionnaire]
Post by BrritSki
Mind you, it's Roger Harrabin, so not surprised he got something badly
wrong :/
What if it were a Horrobin?
2020-09-06 15:56:42 UTC
[cycling questionnaire]
He probably is. Got rather a squeaky voice...
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-06 16:55:14 UTC
[cycling questionnaire]
Post by BrritSki
Mind you, it's Roger Harrabin, so not surprised he got something badly
wrong :/
What if it were a Horrobin?
Ho ...
Post by BrritSki
He probably is. Got rather a squeaky voice...
... ho ho! Excellent. Worthy of Mike.

We're done for the night. I'm off for a cup of tea and some crystal meth.
Only joking. I've had quite enough tea for one day.
- Victoria Coren Mitchell, quoted in RT 2017/10/7013
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-09-06 18:21:16 UTC
The questions and the purported explanations of wrong answers remind me of the quizes and explanations on Open University "on-line training" for tutors on such topics as Inclusivity and spotting extremists.
Steve Hague
2020-09-07 06:38:17 UTC
Post by DavidK
I scored a dismal 4/9 and I'm a cyclist
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461
I think it's a given that any new rules or recommendations will favour
cyclists over anyone else. A stretch of dual carriageway I used to go to
work was narrowed to a single carriageway to accomodate a cycle lane.
This doubled my time to get to work, and the few cyclists I saw were
usually on the pavement. The centre of Bodmin was recently and very
expensively re- engineered to be cycle friendly, which usually means
motorist hostile, which it certainly was in this case. It just resulted
in people not going there anymore, with the inevitable effects on shops
and businesses.
2020-09-07 10:54:19 UTC
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 07:38:17 +0100, Steve Hague <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Steve Hague
The centre of Bodmin was recently and very
expensively re- engineered to be cycle friendly, which usually means
motorist hostile, which it certainly was in this case. It just resulted
in people not going there anymore, with the inevitable effects on shops
and businesses.
That reminds me of Amsterdam. We hadn't been walking for long before we
realised the street our hotel was on had no pedestrian paths at all, just
cycle paths.
OTOH, the cycle lanes in the more rural parts of the Netherlands looked
marvelous - wide enough to accommodate the slow-moving three-wheeled
vehicles the farmers used, along with the cyclists and separated from the
main road by a grass strip.