And furthermore....
Steve Hague
2020-08-04 09:56:36 UTC
Why has everything become an icon, or iconic? Cultural icons, musical
icons, iconic icons.Blah.
Mike
2020-08-04 10:54:09 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Why has everything become an icon, or iconic? Cultural icons, musical
icons, iconic icons.Blah.
Icon tell you but.... I’d have to kill you!
Steve Hague
2020-08-09 13:13:32 UTC
And let me be robust about this.
Peter
2020-08-09 14:52:30 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Why has everything become an icon, or iconic? Cultural icons, musical
icons, iconic icons.Blah.
And 'epic', which I think is even worse. There are a number of words
that are used as if they mean 'good' and 'iconic' and 'epic' are among
them. Here are some others:

diverse
historic
independent
natural
strong
vibrant

Some of them are used in particular contexts: 'historic town centre',
'strong woman'.

Whenever I hear 'independent economist', I ask 'independent of what, and
why does it matter?'
Mike
Peter
That's another one that's driving me potty.
Sam Plusnet
2020-08-10 07:39:26 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Mike
Post by Steve Hague
Why has everything become an icon, or iconic? Cultural icons, musical
icons, iconic icons.Blah.
And 'epic', which I think is even worse.  There are a number of words
that are used as if they mean 'good' and 'iconic' and 'epic' are among
diverse
historic
independent
natural
strong
vibrant
Some of them are used in particular contexts: 'historic town centre',
'strong woman'.
Whenever I hear 'independent economist', I ask 'independent of what, and
why does it matter?'
Absolutely!
That's another one that's driving me potty.
Very much so.
Wouldn’t want yer potty careering off without a driver - messy!
2020-08-10 08:42:21 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Mike
Post by Steve Hague
Why has everything become an icon, or iconic? Cultural icons, musical
icons, iconic icons.Blah.
And 'epic', which I think is even worse.  There are a number of words
that are used as if they mean 'good' and 'iconic' and 'epic' are among
diverse
historic
independent
natural
strong
vibrant
Some of them are used in particular contexts: 'historic town centre',
'strong woman'.
Whenever I hear 'independent economist', I ask 'independent of what, and
why does it matter?'
Absolutely!
That's another one that's driving me potty.
Very much so.
You're exactly right!

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-08-11 17:58:17 UTC
Post by Peter
Whenever I hear 'independent economist', I ask 'independent of what, and
why does it matter?'
It does matter, I think. Economists' views are very influenced by their
political views and may well be affiliated to a political party, say, or
an organisation which has a political axe to grind. I would not expect
an economist employed by the TUC, for example, to agree on strategy with
one employed by the CBI and if one of them were interviewed it would be
important to know about their affiliation.

Whether an "independent" economist is truly independent of all influence
may well be a matter for doubt, but if they aren't affiliated to any
specific political body the term does have some meaning, IMO.
Peter
2020-08-12 13:48:02 UTC
Post by Peter
Whenever I hear 'independent economist', I ask 'independent of what,
and why does it matter?'
It does matter, I think.  Economists' views are very influenced by their
political views and may well be affiliated to a political party, say, or
an organisation which has a political axe to grind.  I would not expect
an economist employed by the TUC, for example, to agree on strategy with
one employed by the CBI and if one of them were interviewed it would be
important to know about their affiliation.
Whether an "independent" economist is truly independent of all influence
may well be a matter for doubt, but if they aren't affiliated to any
specific political body the term does have some meaning, IMO.
I take your point, but I would sooner be told what an economist works
for when it matters. What are they, these independent economists?
Economist Fred works for the TUC (by which I mean he is a salaried
member of its staff). Economist Daisy works for the University of
Tonbridge (by which I mean she is a salaried member of its staff). Will
Daisy be described as an independent economist, and Fred not? It is
quite possible that Daisy, too, works for the TUC (in a broader sense of
'works for').

(It's been many a long year since I tucked into tucs. I recall them as
being too salty. Needle nardle noo!)
Sid Nuncius
2020-08-12 17:36:53 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Peter
[...]
Fair comment. That would be much better.
Min
2020-08-12 22:59:34 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Peter
[...]
In my (limited) experience as a person and not as a government, to me an
Independent Financial Advisor is someone who does not belong to an
organisation that is flogging you Product.
Nib
Joe Kerr
2020-08-19 21:05:34 UTC
Post by Min
In my (limited) experience as a person and not as a government, to me an
Independent Financial Advisor is someone who does not belong to an
organisation that is flogging you Product.
--
Nib
Is that your new pen name Min?
Ric
Min
2020-08-19 22:10:56 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Min
In my (limited) experience as a person and not as a government, to me an
Independent Financial Advisor is someone who does not belong to an
organisation that is flogging you Product.
--
Nib
Is that your new pen name Min?
Embarassed emoticon!
Min
Mike
2020-08-20 07:30:22 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Min
In my (limited) experience as a person and not as a government, to me an
Independent Financial Advisor is someone who does not belong to an
organisation that is flogging you Product.
--
Nib
Is that your new pen name Min?
3 posts in a fountain?