Ask EU: Podcasts
2020-08-26 10:05:04 UTC
I have been using Radio Downloader on my desktop for managing
podcasts for some time, and find it pretty satisfactory.

However, it can only cope with RSS feeds, which don't always seem
to be available, I guess it is as "old hat" as usenet. :-(

What solutions do others use for PC-based podcast management?

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-08-26 11:42:19 UTC
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:05:04 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
I have been using Radio Downloader on my desktop for managing
podcasts for some time, and find it pretty satisfactory.
However, it can only cope with RSS feeds, which don't always seem
to be available, I guess it is as "old hat" as usenet. :-(
What solutions do others use for PC-based podcast management?
I don't use podcast downloaders but do use rss feeds and have added a
browser extension Smart rss, to add feeds where they are not offered. Might
that be helpful?
2020-08-26 12:55:10 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
What solutions do others use for PC-based podcast management?
I use iTunes, which works pretty well and then listen to the podcasts on
either my PC or my iPod.
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity
(Dorothy Parker)
Nick Odell
2020-08-26 19:04:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I have been using Radio Downloader on my desktop for managing
podcasts for some time, and find it pretty satisfactory.
However, it can only cope with RSS feeds, which don't always seem
to be available, I guess it is as "old hat" as usenet. :-(
What solutions do others use for PC-based podcast management?
I -erme- sit down in front of the screen every weekend and click
through bbc.co.uk/podcasts downloading whatever looks interesting and
stop when I reach something that I recognise from my previous session.
I haven't got the hang of this technology stuff, have I?

2020-08-26 17:21:30 UTC
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 16:04:17, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Chris J Dixon
I have been using Radio Downloader on my desktop for managing
podcasts for some time, and find it pretty satisfactory.
However, it can only cope with RSS feeds, which don't always seem
to be available, I guess it is as "old hat" as usenet. :-(
What solutions do others use for PC-based podcast management?
I -erme- sit down in front of the screen every weekend and click
through bbc.co.uk/podcasts downloading whatever looks interesting and
stop when I reach something that I recognise from my previous session.
I haven't got the hang of this technology stuff, have I?
Nick
YANA; I just download podcasts by clicking on "download" or similar, e.
g. from http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/archers (which turns into
something else, but the above works to get me to it). I don't mess with
streaming unless I really have to; where I do, e. g. for some TV
programmes, I use youtube-dl, which despite its name works with almost
any webpage that has a video in it. (OK, it's command line, but you
don't need weird incantations alias other parameters: you just give it
the URL of the page and that usually suffices.)

I've not got into doing any scheduled downloads; I've only so far
downloaded (by preference as podcast, otherwise using the above from the
iPlayer/BBCSounds/whateveritscalledthisweek) after it's been broadcast
and thus available.

Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"
Jenny M Benson
2020-08-27 14:14:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I have been using Radio Downloader on my desktop for managing
podcasts for some time, and find it pretty satisfactory.
However, it can only cope with RSS feeds, which don't always seem
to be available, I guess it is as "old hat" as usenet.:-(
What solutions do others use for PC-based podcast management?
I use Radio Downloader, too, and mostly Get_iPlayer for stuff from BBC
Sounds, but have Acast on my tablet for a couple of other podcasts.
Wrexham, UK