OT:Mogg Monitor
2019-07-29 17:14:56 UTC
I am pleased to learn that due to a change in the ongoing lot of cabinet
members, the Leader of the House has determined that certain words and
phrases are no longer fit for purpose in departmental documents and has
invested in a style guide for use by the serfs in his office and beyond.

I speculate that umra has hopefully got over the disappointment that
somebody else got there first but now it is not unacceptable to meet
with these standards and equal very quickly with an umra initiative.

I therefore propose that umra appoints an ongoing post of Mogg-Monitor
to ascertain words and phrases to be excised from the journal of umra.

Any takers?

2019-07-29 18:12:43 UTC
I am pleased to learn that due to a change in the ongoing lot of cabinet
members, the Leader of the House has determined that certain words and
phrases are no longer fit for purpose in departmental documents and has
invested in a style guide for use by the serfs in his office and beyond.
I speculate that umra has hopefully got over the disappointment that
somebody else got there first but now it is not unacceptable to meet
with these standards and equal very quickly with an umra initiative.
I therefore propose that umra appoints an ongoing post of Mogg-Monitor
to ascertain words and phrases to be excised from the journal of umra.
Any takers?
Ummm...while I applaud the idea, we decided some time ago to abolish all
monitors from umra other than the BTM and Al Menzies, late of this
parish and much missed, who remains Lifetime Supersede Monitor. This
was to avoid what was in danger of becoming a rather hectoring culture
which was felt to be unumratic.

I have to say that I'm a little uneasy about the whole idea. I like the
varied styles here and the fact that I can often tell who has written a
post without looking at the name of its author. I also like the fact
that people are free to post here without much fear of being criticised
for their style; it's an important freedom which encourages
contributions from more people and a more relaxed atmosphere, I think.

Naturally, umrats will still rant about pet linguistic hates from time
to time. This is perfectly healthy, IMO.

If otherrats feel differently, I shall, of course, abide by the wishes
of the majority.
2019-07-29 18:20:35 UTC
[...]
I’m afraid that I mis-read the subject line and thought we were about to
take a close look at musical synthesizers - Sorry, I’ll get my coat....
2019-07-29 19:09:50 UTC
[...]
Disgraceful Sid, how can you possibly be so laissez-faire ?

You effect to be tolerant, but what affect do you think this will have ?

Harrumph....
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-30 05:20:06 UTC
[...]
I note your concerns and would be glad to meet with you to hopefully
ascertain what you find unacceptable.

I'm actually in sympathy with WRM on some (I emphasise *some*) of the
usages which annoy him, but really! Imperial measurements? When no
child has been taught them at school for 30 years and more and industry
uses metric exclusively? I'm supposed to use British Thermal Units and
foot-poundals instead of Joules, for example? That really is plain
silly. As are quite a few other things he insists on. There's being
accurate, clear and courteous and there's being a pompous, archaic arse.

Nick - my apologies for taking your light-hearted post far too seriously
and being pompous myself about it. My only excuse is being tired and
having a bit of a sense of humour failure after a tiring but
inconclusive day at the hospital. Even more investigations to come -
oh, joy! (Nothing really serious, but a very painful and extremely
inconvenient hand problem).
2019-07-30 07:21:23 UTC
[...]
I hope to find a slot, in my skedule, going forward.
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm actually in sympathy with WRM on some (I emphasise *some*) of the
usages which annoy him, but really!  Imperial measurements?  When no
child has been taught them at school for 30 years and more and industry
uses metric exclusively?  I'm supposed to use British Thermal Units and
foot-poundals instead of Joules, for example?  That really is plain
silly.  As are quite a few other things he insists on.  There's being
accurate, clear and courteous and there's being a pompous, archaic arse.
<languid wave> esp. to the BI units bit.
Nonsense, hope the hand improves soon.
Chris McMillan
2019-07-30 07:49:40 UTC
[...]
Ouch!! Anything that stops your use of the keyboard is not to be
tolerated! Umra demands an extra pack of crisps to help any necessary
procedures, Matron. (Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)! Hope it’s all sorted pdq, Sid.

2019-07-30 08:09:10 UTC
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
Mike
2019-07-30 08:23:04 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
Would you Walker way from them then?
2019-07-30 19:46:57 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
I does cause the faintest ringing in the memory banks.
(Hearing of such a thing - not eating the things.)
2019-07-30 20:15:55 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
I does cause the faintest ringing in the memory banks.
(Hearing of such a thing - not eating the things.)
Same here. I think someone has tried bringing them out, probably as a
Christmas special. I'm glad to say that I wasn't tempted to try them.
No one can have experienced to the fullest the true sense of achievement
and satisfaction who has never pursued and successfully caught his tail.
(Rosalind Welcher)
Penny
2019-07-31 08:11:25 UTC
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 21:15:55 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
I does cause the faintest ringing in the memory banks.
(Hearing of such a thing - not eating the things.)
Same here. I think someone has tried bringing them out, probably as a
Christmas special. I'm glad to say that I wasn't tempted to try them.
A quick goggle found Pringles in the following flavours:
Milk chocolate
White chocolate
Salted caramel
Mint choc
Pecan pie
Pumpkin Spice
White Chocolate Peppermint
Cinnamon Sugar
some of which are/were probably only available in left-pondia.

I also found this review:
Milk Chocolate Pringles look like normal Pringles with a spattering of top
soil. The chocolate dusting is so light and I cannot get past the fact that
it just looks like dirt. It doesn’t taste much better than dirt. The Milk
Chocolate Pringles still retain all of their potato-y flavor, but replace
the necessary quantity of salt with a mighty thin cocoa flavor. Whatever
salt isn’t strong enough to complement the light chocolate – it just
negates it. It negates everything. Milk Chocolate Pringles taste like
normal Pringles, but normal Pringles that you ate about 2 minutes after
eating a piece of chocolate. Boring and a little weird.

Cadbury's have a similar product called Snaps - also available in several
flavours.

Then I found this abomination
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-11-04/lays-new-chocolate-covered-potato-chips-for-women-of-course>

The dates on that last piece and the Dorito review suggest this may have
been a passing fancy which has run its course.
Anne B
2019-08-08 21:26:48 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
I've heard of chocolate teapots but a chocolate comb? Waste of good
chocolate, say I.

And I prefer my crisps left unruly.

Anne B
Mike
2019-08-09 08:06:48 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
I've heard of chocolate teapots but a chocolate comb? Waste of good
chocolate, say I.
And I prefer my crisps left unruly.
Anne B
But possibly better than chocolate in your combinations!
Anne B
2019-08-10 22:11:05 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)
That is just horrible enough for someone to produce them.
I've heard of chocolate teapots but a chocolate comb? Waste of good
chocolate, say I.
And I prefer my crisps left unruly.
Anne B
But possibly better than chocolate in your combinations!
Not being the owner of such an item, I am unqualified to comment.

Anne B

Penny
2019-07-30 08:58:35 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
(Pity no one has thought of combing crisps with
chocolate)!
Not sure it's applied with a comb but I believe an otherwise savoury snack
coated with chocolate already exists. Probably maize rather than potato
based though.

2019-07-30 16:13:50 UTC
[...]
No apology necessary MOPMOB. WRM? I would say that JRM isn't a patch on
his late dad, much though he'd like to be seen in a favourable
comparison. In the same way that ABdPJ would like to channel WLSC but
doesn't have a hope.

2019-07-30 22:41:52 UTC
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 06:20:06 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'm actually in sympathy with WRM on some (I emphasise *some*) of the
usages which annoy him, but really! Imperial measurements? When no
child has been taught them at school for 30 years and more and industry
uses metric exclusively? I'm supposed to use British Thermal Units and
foot-poundals instead of Joules, for example? That really is plain
silly. As are quite a few other things he insists on. There's being
accurate, clear and courteous and there's being a pompous, archaic arse.
JR-M is younger than I. I was taught exclusively in metric units at
school, although I was pretty much brought up in imperial measurements
at home. I think in imperial units, but can convert to metric for
everyday things in my head. The thing that takes a bit longer is weigh
in stones to kg, as I have to work out how many lb first, then do the
conversion.

The only advantage of knowing imperial units is being able to work in
multiple bases without really thinking about it.

About the only thing I could wholeheartedly agree with in his dictat
is "Check your work". This really shouldn't be something that anyone
with the kind of background I'm sure he insists that the people who
work for him have should need telling. Don't the masters at Eton and
Oxbridge tutors expect their little cherubs to proof read their work,
or is it acceptable not to check the essays you get the fags to write
for you?
2019-07-30 06:15:14 UTC
If otherrats feel differently, I shall, of course, abide by the wishes
of the majority.
Learning from "problems" in the wider world, might it be a good
idea to have a threshold for change to the status quo of at least
60% of those voting? ;-)

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-07-30 07:33:18 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Sid Nuncius
If otherrats feel differently, I shall, of course, abide by the wishes
of the majority.
Learning from "problems" in the wider world, might it be a good
idea to have a threshold for change to the status quo of at least
60% of those voting? ;-)
Chris
But, but, but.... would there be a back stop?
Chris B
2019-07-29 18:18:36 UTC
I am pleased to learn that due to a change in the ongoing lot of cabinet
members, the Leader of the House has determined that certain words and
phrases are no longer fit for purpose in departmental documents
And ironically (I know not whether deliberate or not)

"Mr Rees-Mogg has also demanded phrases such as .........'no longer fit
for purpose' are dropped from staff's vocabulary."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7293153/Jacob-Rees-Mogg-says-banned-use-unacceptable-sort-New-Labour-words.html

and has
Chris B (News)
John Ashby
2019-07-29 18:45:51 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by Nick Odell
I am pleased to learn that due to a change in the ongoing lot of
cabinet members, the Leader of the House has determined that certain
words and phrases are no longer fit for purpose in departmental documents
And ironically (I know not whether deliberate or not)
I think the rest of the post makes it admirably clear that it was
deliberate.

I had thought, before Sid's intervention, of offering my services,
taking a thoroughly Johnsonian approach to the job (i.e. promising
everything, delivering nothing).

2019-07-29 20:24:06 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by Nick Odell
I am pleased to learn that due to a change in the ongoing lot of
cabinet members, the Leader of the House has determined that certain
words and phrases are no longer fit for purpose in departmental documents
And ironically (I know not whether deliberate or not)
I think the rest of the post makes it admirably clear that it was
deliberate.
I had thought, before Sid's intervention, of offering my services,
taking a thoroughly Johnsonian approach to the job (i.e. promising
everything, delivering nothing).
Maybe as a diversion I could offer you something else? You see, I was
concentrating so furiously on using (AFAIK) every forbidden word or
phrase on the list that getting around to using the newly required
vocabulary completely escaped my attention.

We have here a dilemma of Reesian proportions because it has been
decreed that those inferiour men who so sadly lack a title of their own
should heretoforward be addressed by their Christian Name, Surname and
Esq., (whatever you do, DON'T forget the dot-comma at the end).

But what of the ladies, I hear you ask? (Or if you are JRM yourself,
merely shrug) Surely there ought to be a feminine form of Esq., to offer
the females, though why the little ladies would need to receive letters
from government departments when their husbands may receive them on
their behalf, I really don't know. So, John, your mission, if you choose
to accept it is to come up with a suitable feminine form of address -
and if you can do so without putting a comma after "and" and ensuring a
double space after each full stop, much the better.

2019-07-29 21:27:47 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Nick
As we know, Esq. is short for esquire, meaning shield-bearer, attendant
upon (and therefore one rank down from) a Knight (Why do I want to write
Kerniggit?). The feminine form should therefore be someone attendant
upon his Lady. This would presumably be a Maid-in-waiting, and since the
Lady would be of Norman extraction, I feel we are justified in
frenchifying the "in" to "en", then forming the acronym Mew.

So, the Right (dis)Honourable Priti Patel Mew.,

2019-07-29 22:36:21 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I understand the The Grauniad has taken a holiday from counting Trump's
false statements, and instead searched through Hansard to count the
number of times that Mogg-Rees has used the vary words and phrases in
the House (difficult to assess punctuation in verbal material) which he
wishes to ban.

700 or thereabouts.
2019-07-29 23:35:19 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Trump's false statements? Hush! How can you say that about a man who was
"there" at Ground Zero on 9/11? According to his address to the NY
Rescue Services the other day, at least. There are some scurrilous
reports that he was actually jumping around saying "Now my building is
the tallest in New York" (even though it still wasn't) but I'm convinced
that must have been fake news.

2019-07-30 07:28:16 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
May I suggest ‘Missy’? ;-)
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-07-30 08:50:42 UTC
If the squire helps the knight don his armour then who helps the lady with her finery? In English she is a "tiring woman" so we need the Norman French for "tiring woman".
Kate B
2019-07-30 14:50:05 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
If the squire helps the knight don his armour then who helps the lady with her finery? In English she is a "tiring woman" so we need the Norman French for "tiring woman".
The traditional term for this was demoiselle. Given that Esquire is
similarly French it ought to be perfectly acceptable to say 'Ma
Demoiselle'.

2019-07-30 18:45:22 UTC
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 15:50:05 +0100, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
The traditional term for this was demoiselle. Given that Esquire is
similarly French it ought to be perfectly acceptable to say 'Ma
Demoiselle'.
If you said that to me I'd think you were talking about a pretty flying
insect a bit like a small dragonfly.
2019-08-07 10:03:16 UTC
Post by Chris B
And ironically (I know not whether deliberate or not)
"Mr Rees-Mogg has also demanded phrases such as .........'no longer fit
for purpose' are dropped from staff's vocabulary."
In my working life our HR manager sprinkled "For the avoidance of doubt"
everywhere in letters and policy documents.

This annoyed me. If it was not written clearly in the first place then
it was not written properly.

Has Mr RM opined on this phrase (I have been away and missed the fuss
but have no problem with Imperial measurements.

By comparison Grant Shapps has told his staff that nothing must be
longer than 2 pages of A4 and the margins and size of typeface will be
kept under careful review.

He then asked for a report on why rail timekeeping has declined - and
clearly has not read the existing reports - the one on SWR alone ran to
around 100 pages of well formatted clear explanation of how not to run a
railway!
2019-08-07 14:39:33 UTC
Post by Chris B
[...]
Mr Shapps wouldn’t want anyone with less than 20/20 vision on his staff
then!

Sincerely Chris
Paul Herber
2019-07-29 19:33:00 UTC
I am pleased to learn that due to a change in the ongoing lot of cabinet
members, the Leader of the House has determined that certain words and
phrases are no longer fit for purpose in departmental documents and has
invested in a style guide for use by the serfs in his office and beyond.
I speculate that umra has hopefully got over the disappointment that
somebody else got there first but now it is not unacceptable to meet
with these standards and equal very quickly with an umra initiative.
I therefore propose that umra appoints an ongoing post of Mogg-Monitor
to ascertain words and phrases to be excised from the journal of umra.
Any takers?
So, that is just kinda, like, you know, whatever?
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/