Moron Smart Meters
Add Reply
Joe Kerr
2021-07-15 21:12:52 UTC
A nice young chap from Utility Warehouse came to the door this
afternoon. Apparently they are responsible for electricity distribution
in the area. He wanted to check whether we had a smart electric meter.
He said that there had been a lot of trouble with them in the area and
that they were going to have to rip them all out. Presumably they will
be replaced by something, but he didn't say what.

He blamed it on the government forcing the power companies to install
defective technology. We should ignore the letter we will receive soon
and he seemed pleased that we had ignored all the previous letters
urging us to have a meter fitted.
Ric
Jenny M Benson
2021-07-15 22:08:33 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
A nice young chap from Utility Warehouse came to the door this
afternoon. Apparently they are responsible for electricity distribution
in the area. He wanted to check whether we had a smart electric meter.
He said that there had been a lot of trouble with them in the area and
that they were going to have to rip them all out. Presumably they will
be replaced by something, but he didn't say what.
He blamed it on the government forcing the power companies to install
defective technology. We should ignore the letter we will receive soon
and he seemed pleased that we had ignored all the previous letters
urging us to have a meter fitted.
Pleased for you that he was "a nice young man." The Smart Meter man on
Forensics: the Real CSI last night was not so nice:-(
Wrexham, UK
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-16 07:05:41 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
A nice young chap from Utility Warehouse came to the door this
afternoon. Apparently they are responsible for electricity
distribution in the area. He wanted to check whether we had a smart
electric meter. He said that there had been a lot of trouble with them
in the area and that they were going to have to rip them all out.
Presumably they will be replaced by something, but he didn't say what.
He blamed it on the government forcing the power companies to install
defective technology. We should ignore the letter we will receive soon
and he seemed pleased that we had ignored all the previous letters
urging us to have a meter fitted.
Pleased for you that he was "a nice young man."  The Smart Meter man on
Forensics: the Real CSI last night was not so nice:-(
Indeed not.

It's an excellent series, I think.
--
Sid
2021-07-16 09:15:07 UTC
On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 23:08:33 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Joe Kerr
A nice young chap from Utility Warehouse came to the door this
afternoon. Apparently they are responsible for electricity distribution
in the area. He wanted to check whether we had a smart electric meter.
He said that there had been a lot of trouble with them in the area and
that they were going to have to rip them all out. Presumably they will
be replaced by something, but he didn't say what.
He blamed it on the government forcing the power companies to install
defective technology. We should ignore the letter we will receive soon
and he seemed pleased that we had ignored all the previous letters
urging us to have a meter fitted.
Pleased for you that he was "a nice young man." The Smart Meter man on
Forensics: the Real CSI last night was not so nice:-(
I often get emails from bulb urging me to get the smart meter but when
I go through booking they say I can't have one because my gas meter
has a slanting cover.

Bulb still insist my projected gas use is 2k a year for future years.
They can't fix the algorythm. We get quarterly read meters and send
them readings too to stop getting stupid estimates. Max use on
gas+electricity is never more than 100 quid.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-16 23:33:05 UTC
On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 10:15:07, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
I often get emails from bulb urging me to get the smart meter but when
I go through booking they say I can't have one because my gas meter
has a slanting cover.
Send them a bill for your time wasted.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Bulb still insist my projected gas use is 2k a year for future years.
They can't fix the algorythm. We get quarterly read meters and send
them readings too to stop getting stupid estimates. Max use on
gas+electricity is never more than 100 quid.
(Holiday home? Or lots of solar panels and the like?) Do they actually
take DDs of the inflated amounts? If it was me, I'd probably stop the DD
authorisation (my bank are very good that way, and I think most are),
and when they complain and threaten, tell them to fix their algorithm -
and if they _still_ schimpf, switch (though to whom, god knows; Zen has
good reports for ISP, but I don't know if _any_ energy companies have
_good_ customer service).

I've just had an (emailed) bill from e.on (or rather E.ON NEXT as
they've just renamed themselves), which included three lines that said
ANCILLARY CHARGE: -£1.00
(no, the minus sign _doesn't_ mean it is a credit; Octopus do things
like that too). Also: "We haven't had any meter readings from you in a
while, so we had to estimate how much energy we thought you'd use. Send
us up-to-date ..."

So I rang them. (Paraphrasing in what follows:) "Some months ago, you
said you'd email me when you wanted a meter reading. I haven't received
any such emails." "Yes, I can see we have you marked as that, and that
we haven't sent you any." "And can you check whether it shows me as
wanting paper bills?" "It says you get them by email." "Please fix that:
this is at least the second if not the third time I've had to tell you
that I want to have paper bills. Finally, I've had a bill showing three
'ancillary charges' of a pound, with no explanation of what they are."
"I can't see either; can I put you on hold while I talk to billing?"
(after a pause) "there has been a fault; several accounts have had these
added. I've credited them back for you."

(So if you use e.on, check your bills.)

What's really worth knowing is for the most part unlearnable until you have
enough experience to even recognise it as knowledge, let alone as useful
knowledge. - Wolf K <***@sympatico.ca>, in alt.windows7.general, 2017-4-30
steve hague
2021-07-17 07:19:20 UTC
So I rang them. (Paraphrasing in what follows:) "Some months ago, you
said you'd email me when you wanted a meter reading. I haven't received
any such emails." "Yes, I can see we have you marked as that, and that
we haven't sent you any." "And can you check whether it shows me as
this is at least the second if not the third time I've had to tell you
that I want to have paper bills. Finally, I've had a bill showing three
'ancillary charges' of a pound, with no explanation of what they are."
"I can't see either; can I put you on hold while I talk to billing?"
(after a pause) "there has been a fault; several accounts have had these
added. I've credited them back for you."
(So if you use e.on, check your bills.)
Similar here with OVO. I get a request from them every month for meter
readings.Every month I send them meter readings. Earlier this year I had
an email from them saying that since I hadn't sent them a meter reading
in over a year, their estimates might not be accurate. I checked my
account on their website, and I was up to date with my meter readings. I
rung them, and the young man I spoke to confirmed that they hadn't had a
meter reading from me in over a year. I was able to give him dates and
most recent readings, but he was still convinced it had never happened.
2021-07-17 08:28:04 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 00:33:05 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I often get emails from bulb urging me to get the smart meter but when
I go through booking they say I can't have one because my gas meter
has a slanting cover.
Send them a bill for your time wasted.
I have exchanged many complaint eamils over the years I've been with
them.Also had one or two phone chats and some online chats.
Bulb still insist my projected gas use is 2k a year for future years.
They can't fix the algorythm. We get quarterly read meters and send
them readings too to stop getting stupid estimates. Max use on
gas+electricity is never more than 100 quid.
(Holiday home? Or lots of solar panels and the like?) Do they actually
take DDs of the inflated amounts? If it was me, I'd probably stop the DD
authorisation (my bank are very good that way, and I think most are),
and when they complain and threaten, tell them to fix their algorithm -
and if they _still_ schimpf, switch (though to whom, god knows; Zen has
good reports for ISP, but I don't know if _any_ energy companies have
_good_ customer service).
I mean 100 a month not a year. No solar panels, a 3 bed 11 year old
mid-terrace. They don't change the DD but I was unable to decrease
it although about 250 in credit regularly. I had to email to get
themto do that. Normally you can change yourself but because our
predicted use is high it won't let me! I've had complaint procedures
to through 2 or 3 times (lost count) and can't be bothered to go to an
arbitration. Not worth it. They say sorryeach time and no extra is
taken but if I were not aware I don't use that gas or did actually get
a smart meter am not confident they would not take too much.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-17 09:20:49 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 00:33:05 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I often get emails from bulb urging me to get the smart meter but when
I go through booking they say I can't have one because my gas meter
has a slanting cover.
Send them a bill for your time wasted.
I have exchanged many complaint eamils over the years I've been with
them.Also had one or two phone chats and some online chats.
Rather than just complaining, start actually asking for compensation for
your time wasted. I've recently obtained 20 pounds from PlusNet.
Bulb still insist my projected gas use is 2k a year for future years.
They can't fix the algorythm. We get quarterly read meters and send
take DDs of the inflated amounts? If it was me, I'd probably stop the DD
authorisation (my bank are very good that way, and I think most are),
mid-terrace. They don't change the DD but I was unable to decrease
it although about 250 in credit regularly. I had to email to get
themto do that. Normally you can change yourself but because our
predicted use is high it won't let me! I've had complaint procedures
I didn't mean try on their site: I meant at your bank. Banks are obliged
to stop a DD if you tell them to. And if the company cut up nasty, tell
them to go whistle; I'm pretty sure (though IANAL) they can't cut you
off without some sort of court order.
(So if you use e.on, check your bills.)

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.
John Armstrong
2021-07-18 08:20:46 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 10:20:49 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Rather than just complaining, start actually asking for compensation for
your time wasted. I've recently obtained 20 pounds from PlusNet.
I didn't mean try on their site: I meant at your bank. Banks are obliged
to stop a DD if you tell them to. And if the company cut up nasty, tell
them to go whistle; I'm pretty sure (though IANAL) they can't cut you
off without some sort of court order.
[]
Indeed. I've had compensation from Plusnet recently (church, business
a/c) and I've had compensation in the past from SSE - once, a three
figure sum.

As far as cutting off is concerned, there are many steps which have to
be gone through before this happens. They can't just appear suddenly
and do it.
Nick Odell
2021-07-18 17:24:55 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 10:20:49 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<***@255soft.uk> wrote:

<snip>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
And if the company cut up nasty, tell
them to go whistle; I'm pretty sure (though IANAL) they can't cut you
off without some sort of court order.
[]
Do you have a smart meter? (Given that this is the subject of this
thread)

In which case you probably ought to read Eon-Next T&Cs - especially
2.6 para 3. https://www.eonnext.com/policies/terms-and-conditions

They only seem to need a warrant if they have to enter the premises.

And, no, I didn't look that up specially for this thread: I'm having
my own little difficulties with Eon-Next and thought a little light
reading would be good for me.

Nick
John Armstrong
2021-07-18 08:14:08 UTC
On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 09:28:04 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
I mean 100 a month not a year. No solar panels, a 3 bed 11 year old
mid-terrace. They don't change the DD but I was unable to decrease
it although about 250 in credit regularly. I had to email to get
themto do that. Normally you can change yourself but because our
predicted use is high it won't let me! I've had complaint procedures
to through 2 or 3 times (lost count) and can't be bothered to go to an
arbitration. Not worth it. They say sorryeach time and no extra is
taken but if I were not aware I don't use that gas or did actually get
a smart meter am not confident they would not take too much.
As I and others have said, read your meter(s) monthly, and keep a note
of the readings, ideally on a spreadsheet. After a few months, you'll
have documentary proof of actual usage, so there will be no need to
accept your supplier's predicted usage.

If they still won't play ball, change supplier.
Vicky Ayech
2021-07-18 08:17:04 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I can see my usage on their system! Over a couple of years now.They
can't work out how to change that prediction. I am not keen to change
as most suppliers seem to do similar things.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-18 13:54:20 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
If they still won't play ball, change supplier.
I can see my usage on their system! Over a couple of years now.They
can't work out how to change that prediction. I am not keen to change
as most suppliers seem to do similar things.
Yes, but the threat you might do so might trigger someone to do
something.

Also, tweet about it. Sadly, that seems effective. (I don't mean it's
sad that it does, I mean it's sad that it's necessary to go that route.)

The war was over, but all those people were still dead - explainer why the
atmosphere of VE-day did not seem right to her; "Today" 2015-4-27
Vicky Ayech
2021-07-18 21:09:12 UTC
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 14:54:20 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by John Armstrong
If they still won't play ball, change supplier.
I can see my usage on their system! Over a couple of years now.They
can't work out how to change that prediction. I am not keen to change
as most suppliers seem to do similar things.
Yes, but the threat you might do so might trigger someone to do
something.
Also, tweet about it. Sadly, that seems effective. (I don't mean it's
sad that it does, I mean it's sad that it's necessary to go that route.)
I do tweet to companies if annoyed. Often it helps, but in this case
they don't know HOW to fix it.
Jenny M Benson
2021-07-18 14:02:32 UTC
I have exchanged many complaint eamils over the years I've been with
them.Also had one or two phone chats and some online chats.
I don't think I would continue to do business with a company with which
I've had to exchange "many complaint e-mails."
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-18 14:17:54 UTC
I have exchanged many complaint eamils over the years I've been with
them.Also had one or two phone chats and some online chats.
I don't think I would continue to do business with a company with which
I've had to exchange "many complaint e-mails."
It's the "nurse" principle - plus, nobody's come up with any
recommendation of an energy company with a _good_ reputation for
customer service, plus the hassle of switching.

Jenny M Benson
2021-07-18 16:15:42 UTC
It's the "nurse" principle - plus, nobody's come up with any
recommendation of an energy company with a _good_ reputation for
customer service, plus the hassle of switching.
I've been with E-on for yonks and don't think I've ever complained about
anything. Estimated bills have been been a problem - the latest just a
mild inconvenience because of not being able to read the meter. I was
with some other supplier when I first came here and don't remember any
great hassle switching.
Wrexham, UK
Mike McMillan
2021-07-18 16:55:49 UTC
It's the "nurse" principle - plus, nobody's come up with any
recommendation of an energy company with a _good_ reputation for
customer service, plus the hassle of switching.
I've been with E-on for yonks and don't think I've ever complained about
anything. Estimated bills have been been a problem - the latest just a
mild inconvenience because of not being able to read the meter. I was
with some other supplier when I first came here and don't remember any
great hassle switching.
We have been with N Power for some years but received an email some 6 - 9
months back that they had sold out to Eon watsit, so Eon watsit is now our
supplier and I have been in correspondence with ‘Natalia’ about their
request to increase my payment by DD (so as to build up some credit with
‘em) I informed them that whereas I was prepared to pay any outstanding
amount now, I did not wish to build up any credit with them as I felt ‘my
money’ was better off in my account rather than their coffers thank you
very much! Several rounds of emails followed and the outcome is that I have
paid the debit owed to them and am now on a different tariff which should
cover our smart-meter-read consumption more closely without boosting their
coffers. We had reached the stage where our ‘credit’ was well in excess of
£100 and I had requested a reimbursement (as they had not done this
automatically).

Next day, I received an email requesting me participate in their survey on
satisfaction etc. When I reached the point where I could comment on my
feelings of satisfaction, I told them that their high prices did not
satisfy me at all.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
John Armstrong
2021-07-19 08:22:38 UTC
On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 15:17:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I have exchanged many complaint eamils over the years I've been with
them.Also had one or two phone chats and some online chats.
I don't think I would continue to do business with a company with which
I've had to exchange "many complaint e-mails."
It's the "nurse" principle - plus, nobody's come up with any
recommendation of an energy company with a _good_ reputation for
customer service, plus the hassle of switching.
Indeed. I've read many horror stories over the years, and could write
quite a few - see my comment on compensation in this thread. This may
surprise many, but I have been very impressed by EDF, my current (ha!)
supplier. Good customer contact, mostly by email, but also by phone
when required. They email me in Dec and June to ask for meter
readings, which I send, and a day or so later they email a clear
statement, sometimes with their proposal to change my DD amount. I
have challenged their calculations once or twice, and we have always
been able to agree a figure.
Vicky Ayech
They are very green, and the wrong estimates get fixed.
John Armstrong
2021-07-16 08:30:24 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
A nice young chap from Utility Warehouse came to the door this
afternoon. Apparently they are responsible for electricity distribution
in the area. He wanted to check whether we had a smart electric meter.
He said that there had been a lot of trouble with them in the area and
that they were going to have to rip them all out. Presumably they will
be replaced by something, but he didn't say what.
He blamed it on the government forcing the power companies to install
defective technology. We should ignore the letter we will receive soon
and he seemed pleased that we had ignored all the previous letters
urging us to have a meter fitted.
Electricity distribution is the responsibility of the Regional
Electricity Company, formerly known as the Public Electricity Supplier
(PES). There are twelve in England and Wales, each responsible for a
defined geographical area. If there is a fault, it is up to the REC
for that area to repair it, no matter to whom you pay the bill.

Utility Warehouse is a company which sells "home services", including,
but not limited to, gas and electricity. It is not responsible for
electricity *distribution* in any area. If a young man, be he ever so
nice, came to my door and said that, I'd wonder what he was up to, and
I'd take everything he said with several large spoonfuls of salt.
Nick Leverton
2021-07-16 09:13:21 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
We had someone come round the street the other day who appeared to know
details of our provider but who made unsubstantiated claims that our
non-smartmeter tariff was about to be withdrawn and we ought to change
to a smart meter based one instead (with him natch). I told him I'd
believe it when I heard it from a reliable source.

I think it is just another manifestation of the door-to-door
electric/gas/phone contract salesmen who used to be such a nuisance 15
or so years ago, trying to badger you into switching and signing up on
the doorstep so they'd get commission.

We will be restoring normality as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway.
- Douglas Adams
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-16 16:47:00 UTC
On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 09:13:21, Nick Leverton <***@leverton.org> wrote
Post by Nick Leverton
We had someone come round the street the other day who appeared to know
details of our provider but who made unsubstantiated claims that our
non-smartmeter tariff was about to be withdrawn and we ought to change
to a smart meter based one instead (with him natch). I told him I'd
believe it when I heard it from a reliable source.
I think it is just another manifestation of the door-to-door
electric/gas/phone contract salesmen who used to be such a nuisance 15
or so years ago, trying to badger you into switching and signing up on
the doorstep so they'd get commission.
At best; at worst, someone trying to gain access for neffa ryus (thanks
Rowan and the team) purposes. I wonder what would happen if you reported
him to 999? (Not 111 - you'd be thinking a crime _is_ being committed,
as he moved on to your neighbours.) Perhaps if enough people did this
(reporting his vehicle too), the inconvenience (and therefore cost) of
sorting it out would induce the companies involved to do it properly, or
desist.
Post by Nick Leverton
Nick
John

After all is said and done, usually more is said.
Joe Kerr
2021-07-16 21:32:49 UTC
Post by John Armstrong
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
Hmmmn! He had an ID card (which is meaningless as I have no idea what a
genuine one would look like) and corporate polo shirt (which would be
more expensive to fake than an ID card) so I think he was genuine (in
some sense). He said they were the successor to the old regional
electricity board and various disparaging things about smart meters then
left happy that we didn't have one. No request for any other information
or attempt to enter the property. It did sound a little odd that the
distribution company would be replacing meters when they were installed
by the supplier. Maybe it is some kind of subcontract deal.
Ric
Mike McMillan
2021-07-17 07:40:45 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by John Armstrong
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I suppose one possible reaction to such an encounter at the front door
would have been to say to the visitor: ‘May we take this conversation to
Salzburg please as I don’t have sufficient salt here?’
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Vicky Ayech
2021-07-17 08:31:23 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by John Armstrong
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
Or it could be a general trawl to see who to scam. Old person who
looks suggestible? Didn't like you for it so left.
Sam Plusnet
2021-07-24 20:11:58 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Hmmmn! He had an ID card (which is meaningless as I have no idea what a
genuine one would look like) and corporate polo shirt (which would be
more expensive to fake than an ID card) so I think he was genuine (in
some sense). He said they were the successor to the old regional
electricity board and various disparaging things about smart meters then
left happy that we didn't have one. No request for any other information
or attempt to enter the property. It did sound a little odd that the
distribution company would be replacing meters when they were installed
by the supplier. Maybe it is some kind of subcontract deal.
In such a situation, I think along the lines:

"Who is paying this man to knock on doors, and what does he/they hope to
get out of it?"

"Follow the money" is a useful way of thinking about many odd occurrences.
2021-07-17 08:01:26 UTC
On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 22:12:52 +0100, Joe Kerr <***@cheerful.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Joe Kerr
A nice young chap from Utility Warehouse came to the door this
afternoon. Apparently they are responsible for electricity distribution
in the area. He wanted to check whether we had a smart electric meter.
He said that there had been a lot of trouble with them in the area and
that they were going to have to rip them all out. Presumably they will
be replaced by something, but he didn't say what.
He blamed it on the government forcing the power companies to install
defective technology. We should ignore the letter we will receive soon
and he seemed pleased that we had ignored all the previous letters
urging us to have a meter fitted.
It is now 15 months since my electricity 'smart' meter went dumb. The one
on the gas meter still seems to be working fine, since it was rebooted 15
months ago.

Last September, 6 months after it went wrong, the subject of the emails I'd
been getting from Bulb about it changed from "We're attempting to fix your
connectivity issues" to "We couldn't restore connection to your meters". I
was told "The network operators and meter manufacturers are working on
solutions right now and will be rolling out fixes as soon as they are
ready." This suggests to me there is a widespread problem with (some of)
the latest generation of smart meters.