Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - 17th to 21st May 2020
2020-05-16 11:15:16 UTC
The credits are rather long this week, being the composite list for five
eventful programmes from the past.

Cast :
Adam Macy - Andrew Wincott
Charlie Thomas - Felix Scott
Jennifer Aldridge - Angela Piper
Brian Aldridge - Charles Collingwood
Lynda Snell - Carole Boyd
Ed Grundy - Barry Farrimond
Emma Grundy - Emerald O'Hanrahan
David Archer - Timothy Bentinck
Ruth Archer - Felicity Finch
Phil Archer - Norman Painting
Jill Archer - Patricia Greene
Eddie Grundy - Trevor Harrison
Will Grundy - Philip Molloy
Emma Grundy - Felicity Jones
Tim Hathaway - Jay Villiers
Siobhan Donovan - Caroline Lennon
Nigel Pargetter - Graham Seed
Clarrie Grundy - Rosalind Adams
Neil Carter - Brian Hewlett
Alice Aldridge - Hollie Chapman
Justin Elliott - Simon Williams
Lilian Bellamy - Sunny Ormonde
Shula Hebden Lloyd - Judy Bennett
Matt Crawford - Kim Durham
Nic Grundy - Becky Wright
Ian Craig - Stephen Kennedy
Kenton Archer - Richard Atlee
Peggy Woolley - June Spencer
Jack Woolley - Arnold Peters
Elizabeth Pargetter - Alison Dowling

Writer : Carole Simpson Solazzo
Writer : Caroline Harrington
Writer : Gillian Richmond
Writer : Mary Cutler

Director : Julie Beckett
Director : Marina Caldarone

BBC Spoilers:
Sunday 17th - We delve into The Archers’ archive to attend the New
Year’s Eve Ball at Lower Loxley. (31st December 2001)
Monday 18th - We delve into The Archers’ archive and there’s skulduggery
at the Flower and Produce Show. (7th September 2008)
Tuesday 19th - We delve into The Archers’ archive and it’s the night of
the Hunt Ball at Grey Gables. (29th October 2017)
Wednesday 20th - We delve into The Archers’ archive and it’s Bonfire
Night. (5th November 2008)
Thursday 21st - We delve into The Archers’ archive and it’s the night of
the Christmas Lights Switch On. (5th December 2014)

RT Spoilers:
Sunday 17th - An edition from December 31, 2001, in which the residents
of Ambridge attend the New Year's Eve Ball at Lower Loxley.
Monday 18th - An edition from September 7, 2008 in which there is
skulduggery at the flower and produce show.
Tuesday 19th - An edition from October 29, 2017 in which it is the night
of the Hunt Ball at Grey Gables.
Wednesday 20th - An edition from November 5, 2008, in which Peggy finds
a guardian angel.
Thursday 21st - An edition from December 5, 2014. Adam takes Charlie to
task for his ruthlessness over Brookfield.

This is the last week of the "Three weeks of themed programmes from the
last two decades reliving key moments from the characters’ lives and the
events that make Ambridge unforgettable." This week "we take a look at
five different occasions that mark unmissable dates in The Ambridge
Calendar."

As you will have noticed, I have included both the RT and BBC spoilers
this week.
2020-05-16 15:17:34 UTC
The credits are rather long this week, being the composite list for five
eventful programmes from the past.
<snip>
Post by carolet
This is the last week of the "Three weeks of themed programmes from the
last two decades reliving key moments from the characters’ lives and the
events that make Ambridge unforgettable." This week "we take a look at
five different occasions that mark unmissable dates in The Ambridge
Calendar."
Thank goodness for that and we can all get back to something more
satisfying.

Or AIAOU in finding single episodes drawn from the archives with no
context disappointing? I think if I were running the show I'd have got
one character a week to introduce a montage of clips following an
unfolding storyline. So instead of The Grundy's packing up Grange Farm
in a single episode that was as much about Pannetone's jaunt to a
farmshop, we could have had Eddie explaining the build up to their
eviction and how they coped. This would have had more of the sense of a
soa^W FOTWD with its sense of "what will happen to these characters
next?" and less of a "Here's a few choice moments we're sure you will
want to remember," which can only really appeal to the diehard fans. Who
knows, exploring a bit of backstory might have built some new audience.

Oh well, too late now I suppose.

2020-05-16 16:00:25 UTC
Post by carolet
This is the last week of the "Three weeks of themed programmes from
the last two decades reliving key moments from the characters’ lives
and the events that make Ambridge unforgettable." This week "we take a
look at five different occasions that mark unmissable dates in The
Ambridge Calendar."
Thank goodness for that and we can all get back to something more
satisfying.
Or AIAOU in finding single episodes drawn from the archives with no
context disappointing?
YANAOU! I've enjoyed one or two of them but then, I've been listening
on and off for most of my life. That meant that I could remember a fair
bit of the context of each of the episodes. I'm not sure how much
someone who hadn't been listening at the time would have got from them.
Post by John Ashby
I think if I were running the show I'd have got
one character a week to introduce a montage of clips following an
unfolding storyline. So instead of The Grundy's packing up Grange Farm
in a single episode that was as much about Pannetone's jaunt to a
farmshop, we could have had Eddie explaining the build up to their
eviction and how they coped. This would have had more of the sense of a
soa^W FOTWD with its sense of "what will happen to these characters
next?" and less of a "Here's a few choice moments we're sure you will
want to remember," which can only really appeal to the diehard fans. Who
knows, exploring a bit of backstory might have built some new audience.
I agree, that would have worked far better and would have been
interesting for people who've only started listening in the past few
years, to fill in the back stories.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
better. (Maya Angelou)
Penny
2020-05-16 16:00:39 UTC
On Sat, 16 May 2020 16:17:34 +0100, John Ashby <***@yahoo.com>
[...]
I've quite enjoyed hearing the old episodes but take your point that
creating a narrated montage with selected clips might have been better.

My guess is, it was relatively easy (and cheap) to collate and rebroadcast
these episodes as they stood. Meanwhile acquiring and distributing the
necessary tech to the actors, teaching them how to make an effective
'studio sound room' (from what I've heard this seems to involve pillows and
duvets) and spending time on creating new episodes in a different format
from usual.
2020-05-16 16:47:23 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
<LW> Just another example of the Beeb abandoning it's reliable audience
in the fruitless search for the yoof...
John Ashby
2020-05-16 17:00:34 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
Surely this was an example of them *not* doing that.

2020-05-16 19:07:15 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
If they were really interested in TA audience they would have put
something in place to continue the plotlines without the interregnum. So
what if the sound wasn't perfect ? People would have understood given
the situation.

PS Sorry for the PIWA'
John Ashby
2020-05-16 21:15:50 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
Which is another discussion - what plotlines are we going to lose track
of after this break (Kirsty/Phillip/slaves?) and which could be revived
by lockdown (Alice's alcoholism?)

2020-05-16 22:46:35 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
I think that the work involved was simply too large (finding, editing
etc) - I think what has been provided has been a reasonable range. I
frankly did not remember the Grange Farm departure and where are
organics these days?
2020-05-17 05:19:12 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
Didn't Ambridge Organics go tits up after the Great Food Poisoning
Scandal (aka Clarriegate)?

2020-05-17 14:52:20 UTC
Didn't Ambridge Organics go tits up after the Great Food Poisoning Scandal
Bridge Farm had spent years lecturing us over the wisdom and use of
"Brands" - Bridge Farm, Tom's porkers and then Ambridge Organics.
e-coli came and a decision was made to abandon "Bridge Farm" as that
always led back to the web searches and ecoli. So in theory thereafter
everything was "bodged" as Ambridge Organics until the Rob recruited
manager effectively made the shop unviable and they were forced to open
the Bodge Farm shop which with Rob in charge seemed to stop being wholly
organic - and yet the reason they closed the original Bodge Farm shop
was the planners pointed out that the road access was unsafe and they
never sorted it out before opening again together with a tea shop which
enabled Rob to lord it over Fallon for a day or so because he knew better.

I have noticed that Bodge Farm no longer seems to the centre of Ambridge
and Brookfield is equally forgotten as Grange Farm (rarely farming) and
rewilding and evil doings outside the village have come to the fore (the
horses' yard is not in the village - remember Kirsty had to go and find
it because she had never been told where it was!).
What horses' yard?
Sam Plusnet
2020-05-17 20:37:56 UTC
[...]
Some of them are jolly well err... equipped.
2020-05-17 23:03:21 UTC
[...]
Blake and his compatriot - that was why Philip did not want Kirsty there.
Oh, those horses. Thanks.
Vicky Ayech
2020-05-16 17:18:50 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
john
I think you make good points. I have listened to some episodes and
will hear a couple more but not all. I don't want to hear the court
case or the Grundies having to leave the farm. I was sad Brookfield
got F&M but did like hearing about Shula home-schooling Pip and Josh.
It sort of resonated because of our situation.
carolet
2020-05-18 06:58:48 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
Wasn't it Jill doing the home schooling? Shula was delivering provisions
at the gate, and asking about Pip's home-schooling.
2020-05-18 07:52:06 UTC
Post by carolet
[...]
I must listen more carefully

krw
2020-05-17 14:57:57 UTC
Emma Grundy    -    Emerald O'Hanrahan
Emma Grundy    -    Felicity Jones
I wonder what advice Emerald (as Emma Grundy) might have for Felicity
(as Emma Grundy)?

Don't get ideas above your station and set your heart on a mobile
caravan in the field at Grange Farm? Do you think that would cover it?

Only marry Grundy boys?

Other contributions welcomed.
2020-05-17 16:41:23 UTC
Emma Grundy    -    Emerald O'Hanrahan
Emma Grundy    -    Felicity Jones
I wonder what advice Emerald (as Emma Grundy) might have for Felicity
(as Emma Grundy)?
Don't get ideas above your station and set your heart on a mobile
caravan in the field at Grange Farm? Do you think that would cover it?
Only marry Grundy boys?
Other contributions welcomed.
Tother way round, surely. Felicity pre-dated Emerald.
2020-05-17 16:57:30 UTC
On 17 May 2020 16:41:23 GMT, Sally Thompson
Emma Grundy    -    Emerald O'Hanrahan
Emma Grundy    -    Felicity Jones
I wonder what advice Emerald (as Emma Grundy) might have for Felicity
(as Emma Grundy)?
Don't get ideas above your station and set your heart on a mobile
caravan in the field at Grange Farm? Do you think that would cover it?
Only marry Grundy boys?
Other contributions welcomed.
Tother way round, surely. Felicity pre-dated Emerald.
Is pre-dating Emerald something like a post-Covid version of
pre-ordering from Amazon? You pay for your date night with Emerald
then wait to see when or if the restaurant ever opens again?

2020-05-17 18:54:56 UTC
On 17 May 2020 16:41:23 GMT, Sally Thompson
Emma Grundy    -    Emerald O'Hanrahan
Emma Grundy    -    Felicity Jones
I wonder what advice Emerald (as Emma Grundy) might have for Felicity
(as Emma Grundy)?
Don't get ideas above your station and set your heart on a mobile
caravan in the field at Grange Farm? Do you think that would cover it?
Only marry Grundy boys?
Other contributions welcomed.
Tother way round, surely. Felicity pre-dated Emerald.
I think that was Kosmo's point, like writing a letter to your younger self.

How about "Bugger off and do some TV and films and leave your part to me."
2020-05-17 22:59:28 UTC
Emma Grundy    -    Emerald O'Hanrahan
Emma Grundy    -    Felicity Jones
I wonder what advice Emerald (as Emma Grundy) might have for Felicity
(as Emma Grundy)?
Don't get ideas above your station and set your heart on a mobile
caravan in the field at Grange Farm? Do you think that would cover it?
Only marry Grundy boys?
Other contributions welcomed.
Tother way round, surely. Felicity pre-dated Emerald.
I thought the experience of the latter could be passed back to her
earlier self?