OT: Bl;uetooth question
2021-05-09 12:42:52 UTC
At home I have a Bluetooth speaker (brand Jam). If I switch the speaker
on anything playing on my desky is broadcast through the speaker without
me having to do anything else.

I am currently using my lapdog at my daughter's house and she has given
me a pair of Goodman's Bluetooth speaker which are basically earbuds
which should (?) work in the same way - but they don't. i fully charged
them, but they fail to pick up any sound from the lapdog (which shows it
is paired with the earbuds and Bluetooth is switched on.) I've tried
with BBC Sounds, VLC media player and a video on a website.

Am I missing something, or do I presume the earbuds are faulty?
2021-05-09 13:43:10 UTC
At home I have a Bluetooth speaker (brand Jam).  If I switch the speaker
on anything playing on my desky is broadcast through the speaker without
me having to do anything else.
I am currently using my lapdog at my daughter's house and she has given
me a pair of Goodman's Bluetooth speaker which are basically earbuds
which should (?) work in the same way - but they don't.  i fully charged
them, but they fail to pick up any sound from the lapdog (which shows it
is paired with the earbuds and Bluetooth is switched on.)  I've tried
with BBC Sounds, VLC media player and a video on a website.
Am I missing something, or do I presume the earbuds are faulty?
My first suggestion would be to take a mobile phone, pair with the
earbuds and see if it can play to them. If that works it means they do
work and the lapdog needs investigating, if they don't work it implies
there is a problem with them.

With my headphones I have to get them into pairing mode before anything
can talk to them. The desktop is often reluctant to play to them for
some reason but the phone does it every time.
2021-05-09 16:50:59 UTC
My first suggestion would be to take a mobile phone, pair with the
earbuds and see if it can play to them.  If that works it means they do
work and the lapdog needs investigating, if they don't work it implies
there is a problem with them.
Many thanks, K Richard! I should have thought of trying them with
another device. I found they did work with my fobile, so I deleted the
pairing with the lapdog and re-paired and this time they worked.

I knew Umra wouldn't let me down!
2021-05-10 08:28:28 UTC
My first suggestion would be to take a mobile phone, pair with the
earbuds and see if it can play to them.  If that works it means they
do work and the lapdog needs investigating, if they don't work it
implies there is a problem with them.
Many thanks, K Richard!  I should have thought of trying them with
another device.  I found they did work with my fobile, so I deleted the
pairing with the lapdog and re-paired and this time they worked.
I knew Umra wouldn't let me down!
Happy to be of service. I do not know why but phone bluetooth seems to
be capable of connecting every time but the desky here is reluctant; not
clear why.
steve hague
2021-05-10 12:38:43 UTC
My first suggestion would be to take a mobile phone, pair with the
earbuds and see if it can play to them.  If that works it means they
do work and the lapdog needs investigating, if they don't work it
implies there is a problem with them.
Many thanks, K Richard!  I should have thought of trying them with
another device.  I found they did work with my fobile, so I deleted
the pairing with the lapdog and re-paired and this time they worked.
I knew Umra wouldn't let me down!
Happy to be of service.  I do not know why but phone bluetooth seems to
be capable of connecting every time but the desky here is reluctant; not
clear why.
I have a phone which I only use for music. On occasion, I need to link
it using bluetooth to the high power portable amplifier/ speaker at
church. Most of the time it works, although it can take several attempts
to link them, but sometimes they flatly refuse to speak to each other. I
don't think bluetooth is the most dependable of technologies. The old
adage about the insanity of doing the same thing repeatedly and
expecting different results doesn't apply to bluetooth.
2021-05-12 09:03:42 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by krw
[...]
Steve
sometimes the receiving device still has an earlier transmitting device
fixed in its pea-brain. I have an Anker loudspeaker that I use sometimes
with the lapdog and sometime with my phone. I almost always have to try
twice to make it forget its previous source.